Dumbo being canceled

Author: Bringerofrain

Total: 11
Bringerofrain
Debates: 7
Bringerofrain
I was already offended that people have called my parents racist because they read green eggs and ham growing up. Now a line has been crossed. My niece who I was watching could not find dumbo on her disney plus account. We had to switch to my account to watch it. Now apparently dumbo is somehow racist. 

I think I understand the Dr. Suess one. He was considered racist for depicting africans and chinese people in his signature drawing style, but what is up with the elephant being racist? 
Bringerofrain
Bringerofrain
Why is disney and the publishers of the Seuss books telling me my parents were racists? Somebody I asked just told me that the crow in Dumbo had the name Jim and that is why dumbo was cancelled. 
Theweakeredge
Debates: 33
Theweakeredge
-->
@Bringerofrain
Things like Dumbo are typically considered implicitly racist, as in its subtext contributes to a racist stereotype in people's mind.

Also - completely off point, but for a while people didn't like it because in one interpretation Dumbo and co. got high, and in another they got drunk - I don't think that's why it was scrubbed this time, just a little tidbit.
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Bringerofrain
People who think that Dumbo is racist, are themselves racist.

Unfortunately, one can not be anti-racist without simultaneously being racist.

Another example of  two extremes.

Any sensible moderate person would enjoy and respect Dumbo for what it was meant to be...A light hearted children's story.

Though isn't it demeaning to anyone with big ears.

Earist bastards!
oromagi
Debates: 117
oromagi
-->
@Bringerofrain
The Walt Disney Company pulled “Dumbo,” “Peter Pan,” “The Aristocats” and “Swiss Family Robinson” from its offerings for children under 7. Adult Disney Plus profiles still have access to the films with the content warning
I don't know exactly what offenses these movies are supposed to have committed but I have far less problem with asking for an adult password rather than outright removal.  I wish other content providers looking to improve their brandname would provide password protected access to newly offensive content.   If having a R-rating for racism would preserve the availability of otherwise undistributed content, I could live with that.
FLRW
Debates: 0
FLRW

Oh, sorry, I thought this tread was about Trump losing the election.

Bringerofrain
Bringerofrain
-->
@oromagi
I don't know either but it makes me really want to watch it so I can spot it myself. I might have a different view of the movie if I watch it with a more discerning eye. I try not to overthink the themes of movies, because I don't want to start hating my favorite movies. 
Bringerofrain
Bringerofrain
-->
@zedvictor4
I hate any movement with the word "anti" in it. Sensible people are pro things. Pro life or pro choice, pro racism or pro racial equality etc. 

For example imagine being anti injustice instead of pro justice. These two different beliefs would require completely different actions, despite appearing to have similar goals. 

Bringerofrain
Bringerofrain
-->
@FLRW
That's funny. Took me a minute to get. 
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Bringerofrain
So what would be your specific alternative to anti-racism?....Pro-equality doesn't have the same intention or meaning.

In fact, the PC standard for racism is "white" negative treatment of "black".......The standard for anti-racism therefore is anti "white", which is racist.

Pro-equality is pro-equality....Pro-equality is currently not PC......There's much more "white" bashing to be done, and compensation to be argued for yet.
fauxlaw
Debates: 77
fauxlaw
Interesting facts on original Dumb release by Disney in 1941, all of which call into question cancel culture attitudes now:

1. The movie as released was rated G [G is for General Audiences — all ages admitted, meaning there is nothing in theme, language, nudity, sex, violence or other matters that the ratings board thinks woulds offend parents whose younger children view the picture.

2. The main crow's name was never mentioned by name in the film as released.

3. The main crow character was originally named "Jim Crow" in original sheets, but was changed to Dandy Crow as released. On this point, considering the primary targeted audience [children], who among them would have, a. racially fixed a name never mentioned in the film, or, b. understood that Jim Crow was a historically bad memory? Further, just a guess, but is it really likely that whoever first named the crow "Jim" thought through ramifications of such a first name associated with a real person a half-century earlier, and which just happened to be a bird with jet-black feathers when, c. the bird's presence in the film, leading a flock of the same birds, are friendly toward the main character; a baby, at that, d. "crow" is a bird species, and not a name in particular with any meaning whatsoever.

4. In 2017, the film was selected for preservation in the United States National Film Registry by the Library of Congress as being "culturally, historically and aesthetically significant"

And, as always, I will mention that the Constitution's 1A has the unwritten caveat, due to the freedom of speech, that we each have the right to be offended, but that does not condone censorship as a response.