Topic's posts

Posts in total: 12
  • Bringerofrain
    Bringerofrain avatar
    Debates: 3
    Forum posts: 516
    Bringerofrain avatar
    Bringerofrain
    I don't want to come out in real life to my family, but I just want everyone here to know I am gay. I might not be able to be myself in person, but at least online and anonymously I want to be able to be open about my homosexuality. Is anyone in a similar situation where they are forced to hide their sexuality from their family?
  • Lemming
    Lemming avatar
    Debates: 2
    Forum posts: 520
    Lemming avatar
    Lemming
    --> @Bringerofrain
    Wouldn't say I have that issue with sexuality and my family myself, if I 'was gay, I think I'd find it easier to come out gay, than as an atheist to my family.
    Though my eldest brother might glower briefly before accepting it still loving me and trying to convince me not to be gay, my mom would accept it, maybe be bit worried about me I'd imagine. Dad would accept it, maybe make some crude jokes or inappropriate comments, meaning well, but being  a boor. Sister'd probably think weird, still love me. Not sure how my second brother'd react.

Still, atheism bother me more, hm, maybe it's just because I am atheist but not gay, so I feel the concern of the issue that is mine, rather than the other one I theorize.
    Atheist coming out, may turn out pretty much the same I think the if I was gay coming out would go.
  • zedvictor4
    zedvictor4 avatar
    Debates: 15
    Forum posts: 4,178
    zedvictor4 avatar
    zedvictor4
    --> @Bringerofrain
    If you're really 32 years of age and show no interest in the opposite sex, then I expect that you family and friends already suspect.

Is your immediate society so oppressive?
  • Puachu
    Puachu avatar
    Forum posts: 10
    Puachu avatar
    Puachu
    --> @zedvictor4
    I don't feel that is very polite.  I for one would not anyone trying to deduce anything about my personal life based on whatever I put in my profile.
  • FLRW
    FLRW avatar
    Debates: 0
    Forum posts: 597
    FLRW avatar
    FLRW
    --> @Puachu

I think that Zed's comment was just an accurate observation.
  • Bringerofrain
    Bringerofrain avatar
    Bringerofrain avatar
    Bringerofrain
    --> @zedvictor4
    Maybe, but I have a wife and am a known "player" so that might have thrown them off my scent
  • oromagi
    oromagi avatar
    Debates: 99
    Forum posts: 4,638
    oromagi avatar
    oromagi
    --> @Bringerofrain
    I didn't come out to my family until I was 25 and after attitudes had changed significantly.  I was raised Roman Catholic and I was taught that homosexuality was not just a crime and a sin but a corrupt betrayal of family and community.  I was dating a lawyer and going to a lot of political events and one night we  confronted our governor in the street and ended up on the evening news.  So I figured I better tell my family before the neighbors told them.
  • Bringerofrain
    Bringerofrain avatar
    Bringerofrain avatar
    Bringerofrain
    --> @oromagi
    That's one of the downsides and upsides of being young. That spunkiness
  • zedvictor4
    zedvictor4 avatar
    zedvictor4 avatar
    zedvictor4
    --> @Puachu
    If you don't want people deducing things, then limit what you give away on line.....Because once it's out there it's out there.

I just say things as I see them.
  • zedvictor4
    zedvictor4 avatar
    zedvictor4 avatar
    zedvictor4
    --> @Bringerofrain
    It's interesting that such dilemma and taboo still exist in these enlightened times.

Says a lot about American society, and it's insular and conservative sub-societies.

• Theweakeredge
    Theweakeredge avatar
    Debates: 25
    Forum posts: 2,880
    Theweakeredge avatar
    Theweakeredge
    --> @Bringerofrain
    Personally, I had some troubles with that, coming out that is, especially to my uber-religious dad. I did come out, and I won't share what the people close to me reacted, because everyone's close ones are different and you know them best. Even though we don't agree on a lot of stuff, I do want to voice my support for you, take your time - you own no one your identity. 
  • RationalMadman
    RationalMadman avatar
    Debates: 332
    Forum posts: 10,148
    RationalMadman avatar
    RationalMadman
    This may have been one of the only honest threads Wylted ever made about himself.