Free-to-play / cheap games you enjoy.

Author: RationalMadman

Total: 8
RationalMadman
Debates: 555
RationalMadman
One of the best games out rn that is available on almost all OS (works on Linux via WINE or equivalent 'run free Windows apps on Linux' type of software

is...

Legends of Runeterra. At first it appears to be based on luck, do not let this delude you. I play poker and other such games, I know how to interpret luck vs skill in a game; this game involves ~85% skill and ~15% luck. The skill is everything combined; how to build a deck, how to use the deck, how to predict and bait the enemy into misplaying their spells and/or units.

There's levels to this shit, spells that can and can't be used in reaction to others due to spell-type and such interactions. It is fascinating and extremely high skillcap.

In the earlier seasons, it was disgusting how OP some broken decks were but they have genuinely balanced it over time in my opinion. It's also genuinely free-to-play. You can garner the rewards required to unlock superior decks within 1-2 weeks of solid gameplay. I would say if you dedicate your free time to this game that in 3 weeks you will easily have enough rewards to pivot around each other and experiment with in 2-3 entirely different branches. Do not buy cards impulsively, think a little. Cheaper cards will come free in rewards much more often so save green essence for extreme scenarios where you want to push past your wild card max to unlock something.

Avoid going on expeditions and the lab+gauntlet at first. Stick to the main game mode and mix it up with vs AI and vs players. Be sure to do 'challenges' to grasp mechanics of most deck types.

RationalMadman
RationalMadman
Towards the later stages in seasons, everyone has realised broken decks via brutal combos that Pros/high-rankers have discovered (you can mimic decks of the highest on the leaderboards via a 'download deck' system in place).

These decks usually are difficult to pull off but sometimes it's a simpler concept and many make the ending to seasons unenjoyable to grind. I recommend sticking to the normal,  unranked games and fun formats towards the ending of a season (especially if you're losing ranking due to being vs the broken decks more often). Earlier on in seasons to the middle is where it's most fun to grind it out.
Theweakeredge
Debates: 33
Theweakeredge
-->
@RationalMadman
12 dollars isn't cheap, and a lot of people wouldn't find it fun  - but I love Pathologic 
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Theweakeredge
I'd say that qualifies as the upper end of the kind of price we're talking about (so it counts as 'cheap' but above $15 wouldn't be).

What do you like about it?
Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
-->
@RationalMadman
Oh god, don't get me started - so - it's essentially a psychological horror game that's excellent at inciting dread in the user, and it also enjoys making the user suffer - I would explain it more - but honestly that would take me hours to write out - instead - I'll link you to an excellent video essay on the topic, and what drew me into the game

It's like 2 hours long, but if your interested it does a great job at explaining why its so amazing - and I don't think its the greatest at a gameplay level, I love the psychology of pathologic, and how much it subverts modern game tropes, especially RPG game tropes.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Theweakeredge
I don't enjoy feeling fear but I can understand that the type of person who is into that will like it.

I can relate to it in the sense of that if a game can make me feel frustrated at myself (instead of at the game), I actually enjoy the game. So, I experience a different style of masochism to horror game fans.

Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
-->
@RationalMadman
Its not "Horror" per se, more dread, its really good at getting the user, in my opinion, in feeling what the character you are playing as feels
Sum1hugme
Debates: 37
Sum1hugme
-->
@RationalMadman
I don't think it's free anymore, but Project Zomboid is a great free one. I got GTA V for free on epic games, so idk if that counts lol. Unturned Is a good free game too.