atheists can't meet their burden of proof - miracles

Author: n8nrgmi

Total: 97
n8nrgmi
Debates: 0
n8nrgmi

here are two examples of miracles happening to theists. one is where a woman's optic nerve became healed after being blind. optic nerves dont just heal themselves. the other is a woman with an incurable skin disease, becoming healed. 

atheists always claim the same sorts of things happen to them. sure they'll show lots of far out examples, but nothing that looks impossible becoming possible. they can't meet their burden of proof. theists, christians in particular, are always showing things that are impossible, becoming possible. 
FLRW
FLRW
-->
@n8nrgmi
Here is another miracle

A 4-year-old boy who was riding in a SUV with his mother has died after a small plane struggling to return to a South Florida airport crashed into it.

What are the chances of that happening?
FLRW
FLRW
-->
@n8nrgmi
Did did you hear about the 17 month old little girl in Texas that swallowed a remote control battery and died?
Her mother  said,  “I started praying. She coded again. They did CPR, all of the things, for about 30 to 40 minutes,” Hamsmith said. “I had never prayed so hard in my life or begged God like that. We just didn’t get her back.”

FLRW
FLRW
-->
@n8nrgmi
There are approximately 7 x 10^27 atoms in the average human body. Sometimes there are strange actions that are benefical and sometimes they cause pediatric cancer.
n8nrgmi
n8nrgmi
-->
@FLRW
i notice you are avoiding the point of the thread. that atheists claim the same sorts of things happen to them, but they can never show proof of it. 
FLRW
FLRW
-->
@n8nrgmi
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' " - Isaac Asimov
n8nrgmi
n8nrgmi
-->
@FLRW
so you admit that things that look impossible happen to christians but that atheists can't show examples happening to them? you seem to be claiming i'm ignorant, when the crux of the issue is that you can't support your arguments. your lack of substance isn't my ignorance. you wear rose colored glasses apparently. 
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@n8nrgmi
Neither can theists show proof.......Other than...It was GOD what did it.

Seemingly miraculous things do not  automatically imply the existence of a Christian GOD,  or any other GOD variant.

A 1 in 10 billion chance is not necessarily a miracle, but more likely to be either luck or not quite accurate.

And those that wish to believe in theistically inspired miracles, inevitably will.

And those that are less likely to be influenced by theistic persuasion, probably won't.

Same old, same old.
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@zedvictor4
And those that wish to believe in theistically inspired miracles, inevitably will.

And those that are less likely to be influenced by theistic persuasion, probably won't.

Same old, same old.

In a nutshell
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@n8nrgmi
Why would any atheists need to meet a burden of proof if you are the one claiming there are miracles?

SkepticalOne
Debates: 9
SkepticalOne
-->
@secularmerlin
@n8nrgmi
Why would any atheists need to meet a burden of proof if you are the one claiming there are miracles?
This.
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@SkepticalOne
Right?
n8nrgmi
n8nrgmi
-->
@secularmerlin
i'm showing phenomenon that looks like the impossible happening to one group, praying theists. we dont have to even debate whether they are miracles. ive shown the facts as they are. if an atheists comes along and claims the same sorts of things happen to his group of people.... he has the burden of proof to make good on that claim. why would you disagree with that? he's making a positive claim, so it requires positive evidence. 
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@n8nrgmi
Which theists specifically?
n8nrgmi
n8nrgmi
i was talkin' in generic language in the opening post. not all atheists have the burden of proof, but all atheists who claim that impossible lookin' things happen to their group of people, has the burden to show that it's true. 
n8nrgmi
n8nrgmi
-->
@secularmerlin
praying theists. with an emphasis on christians. but the point of this thread is to show atheists can't meet their burden of proof when they claim that impossible looking things happen to their group of people. 
ludofl3x
ludofl3x
-->
@n8nrgmi
So you're saying atheists can't prove unlikely things happen to atheists? This is a very strange argument, can you clarify? Atheists don't generally believe in miracles, so it'd be really unusual for an atheist to claim a 'miracle' happens to another atheist, in part because I don't know how you define 'miracle.' Is it supernatural? Is it just something that's unexplained by our current knowledge base, or something that seems extremely unlikely to happen? 

Could we define a miracle as a 16 beating  1 since it's only happened once in the history of the NCAA tournament?
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@n8nrgmi
praying theists. with an emphasis on christians. 
Why an emphasis on christians if the phenomenon is not limited to christianity?
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@n8nrgmi
Please detail the observable practical difference between an impossible thing and an impossible looking thing.
Reece101
Debates: 1
Reece101
-->
@n8nrgmi
Your questioning is very weird.

“Miracle” has multiple definitions, both atheists and theists can use the word interchangeably.
I would assume theists almost exclusively invoke god(s) when using it though. 

If atheists are seriously invoking god(s), their not atheists. 

FLRW
FLRW
-->
@n8nrgmi
I think I get what you are saying. God heals a Panamanian lady from a skin disease but lets approximately 3.1 million children die from undernutrition each year (UNICEF, 2018a). Hunger and undernutrition contribute to more than half of global child deaths, as undernutrition can make children more vulnerable to illness and exacerbate disease.  God can't make miracle protien bars appear out of thin air?
Reece101
Reece101
-->
@FLRW
You can’t test God, God’s morally objective, God works in mysterious ways, etc, etc, etc. 
n8nrgmi
n8nrgmi
-->
@ludofl3x
optic nerves dont just heal themselves. that's impossible in our reality, but i posted a link where an optic nerve was healed for a praying theist. 
n8nrgmi
n8nrgmi
-->
@secularmerlin
see my previous post. 

non christian religion's miracles are so rare that i can see, that it calls in to question the validity with the few rare times that they are purported to occur. christian miracles occur all the time, and give weight to the religion's claims. i'm not saying a non christian miracle never occurs, but there aren't many examples to speak of. 
n8nrgmi
n8nrgmi
the evidence for God is very plain. theists pray, and impossible things become possible for them. the silence is defeanening for why that stuff doesn't happen to atheists. people have near death experiences, and atheists fall back to claiming the idiotic idea that it's common for people to hallucinate afterlife stories when they die. profound and elaborate afterlife stories. right. makes a lotta sense. i guess afterlife stories are part of our DNA? not to mention all the out of body experience evidence. i dont know. you can't make sense out of the senseless, idiotic claims of atheists. 
ludofl3x
ludofl3x
-->
@n8nrgmi
Ok, does the article prove it was either prayer or being a theist or being a praying theist that in some way caused or in some way contributed to this 'impossible' happening? 
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@n8nrgmi
optic nerves dont just heal themselves. that's impossible in our reality, but i posted a link where an optic nerve was healed for a praying theist. 
Clearly it is not impossible if it actually happened. That makes this discussion about the cause of the event (assuming there is any DISCERNABLE cause) and if I admit I don't know why it happened I have no burden of proof whatever. If however you wish to claim that there is a specific cause then YOU have a burden of proof.
non christian religion's miracles are so rare that i can see, that it calls in to question the validity with the few rare times that they are purported to occur. christian miracles occur all the time, and give weight to the religion's claims. 
Arguments from popularity aside IF miracles are CLAIMED by many mutually exclusive belief systems then HOW do we determine that some are FALSE claims and some are TRUE claims? Perhaps the buddha simply answers christian prayers along with all the others and there are just more praying christians that you know of creating the false impression that christians prayers are answered by you personally preferred concept of god(s)? 

The claims have equal impericle evidence.
the evidence for God is very plain. theists pray, and impossible things become possible for them.
Correlation =/= causation 

Please demonstrate that the cause of these (not)impossible events is sone god(s) or I will have no choice but to dismiss the claim. 

Reece101
Reece101
-->
@n8nrgmi
the evidence for God is very plain. theists pray, and impossible things become possible for them. the silence is defeanening for why that stuff doesn't happen to atheists. people have near death experiences, and atheists fall back to claiming the idiotic idea that it's common for people to hallucinate afterlife stories when they die. profound and elaborate afterlife stories. right. makes a lotta sense. i guess afterlife stories are part of our DNA? not to mention all the out of body experience evidence. i dont know. you can't make sense out of the senseless, idiotic claims of atheists
Many hallucinatory drugs have the same affect, but you would probably claim it’s the devil. 
n8nrgmi
n8nrgmi
-->
@secularmerlin
we agree then, if an atheist makes no claims about impossible looking things happening to atheists, they have no burden to show it happening to them. you really should be curious though, as to why things like retinas get healed for praying theists, and not for atheists. or if you can't how those examples happening to atheists, maybe you should reconsider skepticism. i guess ignorance is bliss. 
n8nrgmi
n8nrgmi
-->
@Reece101
drugs can have some similiarities, but no one hallucinates elaborate afterlife stories from drugs.