The problem of suffering

Author: secularmerlin

Total: 157
Polytheist-Witch
Debates: 1
Polytheist-Witch
-->
@Timid8967
I apologize for offending you. it was not my intention to suggest we should do nothing about suffering. 
I am not offended. It's the internet. Tone can be an issue with nothing but words. 
Outplayz
Debates: 0
Outplayz
-->
@secularmerlin
My thought has always been, do immortals suffer? What would it be like if you were immortal? Does god suffer? Do gods suffer? If you can't die, are all knowing, etc., do you suffer? If god(s) knew that when we die, we become eternal and all suffering is gone, what does that mean? Basically i'm getting to, if immortals created this type of finite existence, is suffering just a part of the experience that the immortals value. So, is suffering a choice? An illustration i do in my own mind to make sense of this is thinking of a world where simulations are a thing. Sure, at first, i'd probably do fun stuff. Games i like, movie characters i like, etc. But, most of those characters wouldn't be who they are without the opposite.. but even the opposite, there are some villains i like. Vampires, Joker, etc. In a simulation, after playing all my favorite good characters, i imagine at some point, i'd try out Joker. How can i be the Joker without suffering and creating suffering? Now, if as a finite being i can think of this stuff... i imagine a god creating experiences already understands suffering is just a part of the experience. I'm not saying we can't change that. We can reduce suffering bc the experience would just be better. But how much can we fix it when there is some suffering i imagine people just need for the good to be even better. Idk... suffering is an interesting question bc my politics is basically what can we do to reduce suffering. But can we ever really erase it. I imagine we can, but not when we are finite. I imagine erasing suffering is only achievable when you're infinite.  
fauxlaw
Debates: 77
fauxlaw
-->
@Outplayz
I agree somewhat with where you're going, but I disagree that we must wait to be immortal to solve suffering. Contrary to secularmerlin's thinking, I believe we, collectively, though not individually, are responsible for the suffering we endure; it is not God's doing. Even on an individual basis, I believe we are each chiefly responsible for our suffering, and we have the means to resolve it with taking advantage of others to improve ourselves. ONe of the majors in suffering is what we choose to put in our pie hole. The connection of our consumption and resulting effects is huge.
Outplayz
Outplayz
-->
@fauxlaw
Bra. we need to be immortal... bc how can you ever accept my suffering if my suffering costs you your happiness.? 
fauxlaw
Debates: 77
fauxlaw
-->
@Outplayz
Oh, no. I misspoke. I said

we have the means to resolve it with taking advantage of others to improve ourselves.
I meant to say "we have the means to resolve [suffering] without taking advantage of others to improve ourselves."
ronjs
ronjs
-->
@secularmerlin
The current situation we are in including suffering and sorrow as well as joy provides optimum conditions for people to come to know God, or at least to seek him out.

488 days later

Shila
Shila
-->
@secularmerlin
Undeniably many people suffer and it appears to be a given that some people suffer in ways they do not necessarilly deserve. Just as clearly not all suffering is the direct result of human actions. 

That in mind and most especially if you believe in some god(s) that can be defined as both all powerful and also loves us all how do you resolve the problem of suffering?
Genesis tells us God made suffering a part of human life because Adam and Eve chose to eat from the “tree of knowledge” and learn of the limitations of their creation rather than live in ignorance.

We have the knowledge to deal with suffering eg. Pain killers. The rest wil be dealt with in time.