policeman in george floyd case should probably be found innocent

Author: n8nrgmi

Total: 259
Danielle
Debates: 3
Danielle
-->
@Greyparrot
Nah, I was riding shotgun on the lynch bus for Chauvin right up until I saw the autopsy report with no evidence of any tissue damage AT ALL anywhere on his back or neck

The medical examiner and several pulmonologists testified that the lack of bruising on Floyd’s neck and back didn’t exclude asphyxia.  Nobody the defense has called has said that lack of bruising did eliminate the possibility of asphyxia... so why does it matter so much to you that there's no bruising? 

And even if Floyd did not asphyxiate, I'm sure you agree that Chauvin used excessive force according to the policies of his jurisdiction.  That's a fact. He disregarded all his training, so why do you think he lacks culpability for not trying to save the victim's life (as is required by law when someone is in police custody) in refusing to turn the victim on his side or remove his knee even after NO PULSE was detected, and there was no observable signs of consciousness? He kept his knee on Floyd's neck for several minutes after acknowledging there was no pulse. You think that's okay???  

Actually you can skip that question for now cuz I know you have a tendency to respond with useless one liners that disregard what I asked if I pose more than one question at a time. So I'll just ask again: why does the lack of bruising matter to you after multiple people testified that bruising is not required to indicate the possibility of asphyxia? 

Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
-->
@Danielle
He kept his knee on Floyd's neck for several minutes after acknowledging there was no pulse. You think that's okay???  
About as okay if I lightly tap your neck with my hand light enough to leave no detectable mark as you succumb to an overdose of drugs. The defense doesn't have to prove Floyd wasn't asphyxiated though, They just have to prove kneeling on him wasn't the conclusive ONE reason he died which is a lot easier to prove. 

I have looked pretty hard for evidence that you can suffocate a person with a knee without leaving a mark and found no cases where it was possible without leaving some trauma evidence. The neck has plenty of fragile soft tissue that will show erupted blood vessels under the force required to stop airflow to the trachea. It's impossible to stop a person from breathing from the back without breaking multiple ribs. The point is he might have contributed to his death but he certainly did not cause it alone.

I would be more than willing to see what evidence you found though.

I think manslaughter is the only charge that makes sense because Chauvin could have been shown to know that a person MIGHT have been on drugs, so restraining from the back could have been shown to have been negligent homicide under that case, but it's most certainly not murder 2 or 3. Just like that female cop is getting charged with manslaughter.

Danielle
Danielle
-->
@Greyparrot
I want to take you seriously, but you're essentially comparing Chauvin and multiple other officers kneeling on someone's neck/back for 9 minutes while they are laying handcuffed in the prone position with "lightly tapping my neck" which is pretty ridiculous, and I think you know that.  

It's like when Nelson said to one of the pulmonologists, “I could be laying by the pool in Florida, on my stomach in the prone position” and then on redirect, the prosecution was like  “You were asked a number of questions that were to the effect that if we take the police subdual, restraint, and neck compression out of this, what would you conclude Mr. Floyd to have been. Aren’t those questions a lot like asking, ‘Mrs. Lincoln, if we take John Wilkes Booth out of this...’ ” which of course the judge cut off for being argumentative, but the point was received. 

What's curious to me though is why you would be willing to see any evidence I have, but have no problem disregarding the experts who've already testified that your belief (neck damage is required) is wrong? I'm not a doctor. I can certainly google examples where people have asphyxiated and no neck damage was shown, because strangulation is not the only way to asphyxiate. You can also suffocate, and that's what the doctors have testified happened to Floyd -- that a combination of him being handcuffed and in the prone position coupled with the weight of multiple officers for a prolonged period of time is what caused his death, in conjunction with his other health issues.

The defense hasn't given any indication that Floyd would have had a heart attack or overdosed had it not been specifically for the actions of the police. That's like saying if someone shot me, but I have asthma, that I COULD HAVE died from an asthma attack that just-so-happened to coincide with the exact same moment that I got shot. It's nonsensical. And this time I really believe the jury will see that. I'm shocked that Pie thinks this is a slam dunk case for the defense because it most certainly is not. I do think a murder charge is warranted, but I believe Chauvin would see jail time and not "walk" for manslaughter so that's better than nothing. 

The female cop case is tragic. So was the split second Chicago shooting of that 13 year old kid, Adam Toledo. Have you heard about that? My wife and I were arguing last night cuz I said the cop did nothing wrong. She disagreed cuz she said he should have told the kid to get down on the ground rather than put his hands in the air, and concluded he should be fired but not criminally charged. I agree with that. But in this climate he probably will be criminally charged, and I think examples like that (along with Daunte Wright) with people protesting tragic mistakes might take away credibility from cases like George Floyd in which he was clearly murdered in an unnecessarily egregious manner. Like Derek Chauvin literally made the intentional and calculated decision to continue kneeling on Floyd's neck while he lay vulnerable and unconscious. That seems like a depraved mind to me. 

Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@Danielle
That's like saying if someone shot me, but I have asthma, that I COULD HAVE died from an asthma attack that just-so-happened to coincide with the exact same moment that I got shot.
I agree, in this case getting shot is swallowing a bunch of pills, and the asthma attack was about 70 pounds max force applied to the back of a 250-pound man to keep him from hurting himself. Floyd was probably going to die from the OD alone without serious intervention.

Like Derek Chauvin literally made the intentional and calculated decision to continue kneeling on Floyd's neck while he lay vulnerable and unconscious. That seems like a depraved mind to me. 
That's not at all apparent that he thought in any way he was going to kill him. He was weighing the risks of letting him flail about with the risks of restraining him, and I really don't think he knew how vulnerable Floyd was and didn't know how many drugs he took to make him so vulnerable. Not with the amount of certainty to convict on murder.

Manslaughter should have been the only thing pushed here, but I wonder if the Jury won't convict knowing Chauvin got overcharged?

Danielle
Danielle
-->
@Greyparrot
 70 pounds max force applied
You just made that up that number. 

to keep him from hurting himself.
How was Floyd hurting himself or anyone else while the officer's acknowledged he was not breathing, had no pulse, and showed no signs of consciousness? 

Floyd was probably going to die from the OD alone without serious intervention.
You made that up too. It's interesting that on one hand people want to portray Floyd as this big, strong guy who posed this massive threat to officers, and on the other hand want to make it sound like he was about to wither and die all on his own. Floyd was seen on video behaving normally and people testified that he showed no signs of overdosing or any health trouble until the officer's actions. 

FLRW
Debates: 0
FLRW
@ILikePie5
Derek Chauvin will be found guilty of second-degree murder .
I stated this on 4/07.
FLRW
FLRW
-->
@Danielle
It looks like you made $250.
Vader
Debates: 30
Vader
-->
@FLRW
It was obvious
HistoryBuff
HistoryBuff
Chauvin guilty on all counts. 
RationalMadman
Debates: 564
RationalMadman
I wonder how many of these arrogant emoji spammers who backed his innocence are going to still be laughing and arrogant now.

Let me guess, all of them. They have no shame and stand for nothing.

546 days later

TWS1405
TWS1405
As Candace Owens demonstrates in her new documentary, Chauvin should have been acquitted. 
IwantRooseveltagain
IwantRooseveltagain
-->
@n8nrgmi
the main reason i say that, is because the police man's supporters say floyd was gonna die anyway as he was doped up.
That’s not only stupid but it’s a lie.

IwantRooseveltagain
IwantRooseveltagain
-->
@TWS1405
As Candace Owens demonstrates in her new documentary, Chauvin should have been acquitted.
Candace Owens is like those Jews who worked for the Nazis in the concentration camps.

Greyparrot
Greyparrot
Everyone I don't like is a Nazi. A primer for the Democrat Youth.

369 days later

Greyparrot
Greyparrot
So even if it could be medically proven that kneeling on his neck had nothing to do with his death (which seems highly unlikely),
We now know it was not only likely, it was certain.

FLRW
FLRW

Conservative pundit Tucker Carlson has claimed this week that new court papers show George Floyd was not murdered in May 2020 by then police officer Derek Chauvin.
False.
Tucker Carlson has not provided evidence showing George Floyd was not murdered by Chauvin.
A recently published deposition Carlson quotes, which mentioned an alleged conversation with a medical examiner who conducted Floyd's autopsy, provides no new information about Floyd's death.
The examiner, Dr. Andrew Baker, said in court that his death was labeled homicide caused by "cardiopulmonary arrest complicating law enforcement subdual, restraint, and neck compression."
A claim Carlson makes that Baker "understood" Floyd died of "natural causes" is false, as is Carlson's claim that Floyd's autopsy shows he was not killed by Chauvin.

Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@FLRW
I really don't care about a rich media figure's opinions. 

The prosecutor's and examiner's statements are all that matters, so your post is absolute garbage.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@FLRW
Do you have any thoughts of your own about this outside of your favorite celebrity media outlet?
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@FLRW
“There were no medical findings that showed any injury to the vital structures of Mr. Floyd’s neck,” said Sweasy in a statement referencing a conversation with the coroner. “There were no medical indications of asphyxia or strangulation.”

What, no witty quip about rich media celebrities and rich elites in DC? Color me shocked.