Trump was a good president?

Author: Theweakeredge

Total: 19
Theweakeredge
Debates: 33
Theweakeredge
Im sure everyone is aware of former President Trump's famous laws about reducing the number of immigrants allowed into America. This was because he wanted to reduce the rate of Corona Virus! What a great guy! Stand-up president- really looking out for the citizen's health. I'm sure he was also interested in increasing lockdown and mask mandates - you know - to reduce the transmission of the virus!

Wait... what's that? He publically mocked people wearing masks and didn't wear them much himself? And he also continuously held GIANT RALLIES.... The hypocrisy is so blatant it literally stings.

Guys - no - Trump was not a good president. Even if we were to accept (and I'm not) that he helped our economy - that would not mitigate his disastrous response to Corona. Let's remember that disease which was WORSE - you guys remember that? Ebola? And how Obama crushed it before it could hit double digits in America? That's called competency - and now - the fact that America got Corona is not Trump's fault - but the fact that we are one of the countries who responded to it the least effectively definitely is.

This is here to remind us that no - Donal Trump was not a good president - and this only a single example of that not-goodness. It was also a rant.
fauxlaw
Debates: 77
fauxlaw
-->
@Theweakeredge
President Trump's famous laws
President Trump did not make law, and no President does or can. That's the role of Congress, alone. EO's are policy, which can be changed by any succeeding President.
Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
-->
@fauxlaw
I'm sorry -policies which he supported and pressured and campaigned for.

Did you think that I was being literal? Seriously? That's your nitpick?
fauxlaw
fauxlaw
-->
@Theweakeredge
Words mean things. They ought to be used with careful precision. Seriously. You want to be a philosopher; you'd best be explicit. Ideas are difficult enough to quantity in language and expect not just understanding, but agreement.
fauxlaw
fauxlaw
-->
@Theweakeredge
However, to offer a more personal view to your criticism of Trump:
I look at Presidents relative to how their policies affect me, personally. Is there a better personal measure? President Obama, after eight years, left me barely above [about 1%, considering my virtual lack of growth above my baseline] where my wealth stood after his inauguration. By contrast, my wealth, by the end of Trump's four years, grew by a factor of 53% increase. Everybody points to Obama's effect of a 10,000 point increase, but that 10,000 was tempered by a 6,000 point loss. He should have gained a full 16,000 points, but did not. To me, Trump was a wildly successful President.
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@fauxlaw
Some would question the social morality, of basing a Presidents success upon ones personal wealth.

Some might drag up the old chestnut of....Making the rich richer at the cost of the not so well off.

Me...I have a tendency to be both cynical and realistic.....So the above is purely observational, rather than critical.

I realise that it's human nature to take what you can when you can.

The trouble with a diverse society, is diverse loyalties.

As a Monk and a President once said.....But you can't please all of the people all of the time.
fauxlaw
fauxlaw
-->
@zedvictor4
I am not a society. I am an individual. I make my comparisons on the basis of my individuality. I cannot speak for society. They will do what they will do. I make my own choices and act on them. Tell me that's a crime.
Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
-->
@fauxlaw
Um.... yes - we call it empathy. How policies effected you - this is IF we accept that you are correct in interpreting why you've been effected as you have been - is BARELY scratching anything. Just because YOU specifically made an increase in profits does not mean that TRUMP actually did that - again correlation does not imply causation - furthermore you aren't even CONSIDERING how people were affected by Trump's policies. 
RationalMadman
Debates: 561
RationalMadman
Trump was unique because typically very bad presidents had a likability and charisma about them that let them get away with what they did.

Take Ronald Reagan or Bill Clinton, for instance, they have a swagger and it was how they won over the audience. George W. Bush had a similar tactic to Trump, play dumb and talk like you're educate 3x less high-class than you were, so that the working class root for you despite you not giving a shit about them

Trump wasn't necessarily able to pull this off with charisma attached to it, whereas Bush was. Trump was a knucklehead appealing to an anger in people, as opposed to a seeking of charm in people. His brand of 'bad' presidency is unique because it had barely any likability about it. People who 'like' Trump merely like his agenda, very few people like him as a person and character. Ironically, when he was elected, it was the other way around. People who loathed his stated agenda voted him because they liked the cartoon-like character he portrayed, he lost this within the first year and altered his act terribly. The defeat he received is entirely his fault, he alienated the moderates while appealing more and more to the angry fringes.
fauxlaw
fauxlaw
-->
@Theweakeredge
 correlation does not imply causation 
Oh, back to that. Well, I can point to specific policy changes Trump applied immediately upon taking office to relax Obama-era restricting regulations that strangled the ability of private industry to flourish, depending entirely on Q.E. by government infusion of cash into the market to stimulate it. This never works, and did not for Oba'a. His policy strangled the market, disallowing its own generated growth. Trump released the hounds of private industry to stimulate themselves, and they did. It's how we gained energy independence, which Biden is strangling again. Why should we not be energy independent? Green New Deal? That is neither green, nor new, nor a deal. It's a money and power grab. 
Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
-->
@fauxlaw
Even though we don't see an actual change in the decline in unemployment from Obama to Trump (post-covid) - Obama's rate of decline in unemployment annually is IDENTICAL to Trump's - he did not actually CHANGE ANYTHING REGARDING RATES - he simply took credit for what Obama started. Furthermore, again, you have always defaulted to YOUR OWN WEALTH as an example, but have you considered the actual average wealth of an American during Trump's presidency? Because that would be much more convincing in proving that Trump was a good president. 

"More recent trends in household income suggest that the effects of the Great Recession may finally be in the past. From 2015 to 2018, the median U.S. household income increased from $70,200 to $74,600, at an annual average rate of 2.1%." [LINK]
Simply put - you were suffering from the LAST RECESSION not Obama's policies - as we get farther away from the recession average wealth inequality is lessened - that's how economic trends work. You know - before Trump's response to Covid bombed the economy. 
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@fauxlaw
Your wealth status and security, are the result of a society and social interaction....

And you did "speak" about the financial benefits you accrued under the Trump Administration.

For sure, how you fair within that social framework, is largely down to your capabilities as an individual.

But as you previously stated, your recent financial failures and successes were dependant upon how your society was governed.

If you need heart surgery tomorrow, will you be sorting that out, all by your self?

Maybe your wife is a surgeon and some other family member is an anaesthetist...And perhaps you have a fully equipped theatre and recovery unit tucked away in the backwoods.

I doubt it though......Like most of us, you would expect the help of a greater society.

triangle.128k
Debates: 0
triangle.128k
-->
@fauxlaw
I look at Presidents relative to how their policies affect me, personally. Is there a better personal measure? President Obama, after eight years, left me barely above [about 1%, considering my virtual lack of growth above my baseline] where my wealth stood after his inauguration. By contrast, my wealth, by the end of Trump's four years, grew by a factor of 53% increase. Everybody points to Obama's effect of a 10,000 point increase, but that 10,000 was tempered by a 6,000 point loss. He should have gained a full 16,000 points, but did not. To me, Trump was a wildly successful President.
Stfu. Nobody cares about your 401K, old man
fauxlaw
fauxlaw
-->
@zedvictor4
But as you previously stated, your recent financial failures and successes were dependant upon how your society was governed.
I agree, to a point. As I've also stated, with the monetary advantage I've developed, that if that society completely collapses, I can live entirely off the grid, without another living soul outside my immediately family. I like having the advantages of a collaborative society, but I do not depend upon it. I am prepared to exist in a pre-industrial age environment, and perhaps earlier than that. In a situation like that, if I need heart surgery, or I die, I will die. I'm prepared to face that, as well. I have lived my entire life from childhood with the assurance that death is not oblivion, but merely a door. So I walk through it sooner than expected, I am prepared. What more can I do?
fauxlaw
fauxlaw
-->
@triangle.128k
Stfu.
I wasn't playing my music for you, little pocket mouse, so I don't wonder you don't care for it. I don't happen to have a 40k, anyway. Small time investment.
triangle.128k
triangle.128k
-->
@fauxlaw
Boomer.
fauxlaw
fauxlaw
-->
@triangle.128k
Is that some kind of slur? At some point in the future, my friend, you, too, will be accused of being old. And you will be. The point is, have you left a mark that will be remembered, just as I am aware of my family ties going back in excess of a thousand years? That mark is not monetary wealth, by the way, that's merely a by-product of a very enjoyable, satisfying and memorable life. Throw all your slurs you can; that may be your mark, and it leaves in it's wake a misery you cannot now imagine, but more to the point, a rut in the future
triangle.128k
triangle.128k
-->
@fauxlaw
0 self awareness 
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@triangle.128k
0 anything.