The Best Traits in a President

Author: Theweakeredge

Total: 11
Theweakeredge
Debates: 33
Theweakeredge
In correlation with our divide in which president we prefer is the traits that we value, so - what 5 presidential traits do you believe to be most important?
fauxlaw
Debates: 77
fauxlaw
-->
@Theweakeredge
35 or more years of age
A natural-born citizen of the United States
A resident in the United States for the past 14 years
Executive experience in the private sector
Able to discuss, at length, the defense of basic liberties that all world leaders ought to enable their citizens to embrace, accepting responsibility for the value, purpose, and objectives of society in each nation, and allowed to each nation such that any nation's citizens are neither oppressed nor restricted in their use of these liberties to create, retain, and advance their personal lives and their families. 

If all nations were as benevolent to their citizens as the United States claims by constitutional decree to be [but sometimes isn't, to our shame] then the US would not have the immigration crisis we currently face, meaning we are still better off than many nations of the world, and that should not be. So many nations rebut what we claim, and do not have the trust of their citizens to preserve and protect them. This should not be so. Any president ought to proclaim and defend such actions by governments as claimed constitutionally in the US.
RationalMadman
Debates: 561
RationalMadman
There hasn't been a President I'd call even close to flawless or ideal but Obama was closest in my opinion.

Idk the exact traits but good/improved international relations, lack of ignorance and being down to Earth are three I hold in huge importance. Caring for the poor and pushing forward things to help the impoverished as well as women and other classes that need empowerment are things I deeply admire as well (if done in a sustainable way). Obama fell short here in quite a few respects but in terms of trying and half-succeeding, he achieved a lot across the board (to put this into perspective, no other President has got close to even a fifth of success at pushing for genuine equality, Obama was just under half way, around 47%). Also, Obama's smile and charisma were/are to die for but that's subjective and the asshole Reagan had a nice smile and charisma too. I'd still say Reagan's was more fake and offputting.
TheUnderdog
Debates: 5
TheUnderdog
-->
@Theweakeredge
I only care about 2 traits:

1) Whether they committed any victim producing crime that they haven't served their time for
2) Their ideas.

If they have raped someone (like Roy Moore), then I don't care what your ideas are, you belong in prison.  If you call Mexicans rapists and say that some are good people (like Donald Trump) I wouldn't care, as I think it should be legal to call an ethnic group rapists.  I think it's racist to do this, but I don't consider this to be bad unless it becomes part of your policy.  If a presidential candidate says, "Kanye West is my (n word)", I won't care.  If a presidential candidate says, "All (n words) should be slaves" or, "All blacks should be slaves" I think this is free speech(so you should be allowed to say it) but I wouldn't vote for you on that basis unless the only alternative candidates were all comparably bad because it's a policy based reason to not vote for someone if they advocate for bringing back race based slavery.  I think saying the n word in the wrong context is bad decorum/edgy but I think decorum is irrelevant in a president.  What matters is entirely policy that is proposed, unless the politician commits a victim producing crime that they haven't served jail time for, in that case, policy is irrelevant and that politician deserves to be in jail.

I might care about traits that I haven't thought of, but if you see any, let me know.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@David
@Barney
^^^^^ you tell me this shit is okay? I warned you about him.

I am asking you to really look at that post and consider what else he has posted. Racism isn't a joke.
TheUnderdog
Debates: 5
TheUnderdog
-->
@RationalMadman
Your being melodramatic.
David
Debates: 92
David
-->
@RationalMadman
I don’t see anything wrong with what he posted. I don’t see where he violated the COC. I disagree with what he said, but there’s nothing we can do about that post. 
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@David
Bullshit CoC
Benjamin
Debates: 87
Benjamin
-->
@Theweakeredge
Here are my picks.
  • Health, sanity and age. The ability to serve consistently without unnecessary personal problems.
  • Character (trustworthiness, loyalty and wisdom as the most important traits)
  • Good policies and ideas (hopefully backed by an agreeing congress).
  • Skills (diplomacy and crisis handling as well as charisma and ability to create agreement)
  • Background (experience in politics, having useful knowledge, a solid grasp of the past to avoid making the same mistakes in the future)
  • Not being an alien from space
If someone fulfils these criteria, they are objectively the most qualified person to be the president. 

Apart from me, nobody fulfils these criteria. LOL.
Theweakeredge
Debates: 33
Theweakeredge
There have been a lot of superficial stuff - I meant general character traits - apparently my peers ability of interpretation isn't what I expected it to be
Timid8967
Debates: 0
Timid8967
-->
@Theweakeredge
It depends upon how we rate a successful president. 

If it is to govern well, or to model well. 

Trump did not model well.  Yet he governed well. 

Biden is neither a good model or a good governor yet. 

Humility and integrity seem important - yet will these make him a good governor?

They make him a good model. But is that what we want in a president?

Obama was a terrible governor but he was a good model, mostly 

Should and can they be both?  Good question,