Free will depends upon determinism

Author: Benjamin

Total: 46
fauxlaw
Debates: 77
fauxlaw
-->
@3RU7AL
the filament (the part of the bulb that produces light when heated by an electrical current) and the bulb’s atmosphere (whether air is vacuumed out of the bulb or it is filled with an inert gas to prevent the filament from oxidizing and burning out). These early bulbs had extremely short lifespans, were too expensive to produce or used too much energy.
Yes, I'll admit that the idea was older than Edison, but it was his contribution, both in the filament material and in the inner-bulb environment, that produced the first enduring incandescent light bulb that had commercial value.

Did I not say in my #28 "...so, they, too, are on that path of wish > hope > plan > execute > fail > revise plan > succeed > revise plan > improve > revise plan > achieve a perfect light?"

your memory is estimated to be roughly 2.4 petabytes.
Yes, but is that the max potential volume, or merely current state? I suspect the latter, since I am still learning and creating memory.
3RU7AL
Debates: 3
3RU7AL
-->
@fauxlaw
 your memory is estimated to be roughly 2.4 petabytes.
Yes, but is that the max potential volume, or merely current state? I suspect the latter, since I am still learning and creating memory.
There is a "hard" upper-limit.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@fauxlaw
Did I not say in my #28 "...so, they, too, are on that path of wish > hope > plan > execute > fail > revise plan > succeed > revise plan > improve > revise plan > achieve a perfect light?"
The "choice" to continue to gather and process information is not the same as "choosing" to "do something you have no concept of".
fauxlaw
fauxlaw
-->
@3RU7AL
...hard upper limit

According to whom? A pocket mouse?
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@fauxlaw
According to the laws of thermodynamics.
fauxlaw
fauxlaw
-->
@3RU7AL
First law of thermodynamics:
Energy cannot be created or destroyed in an isolated system

Second law of t-d: 
The entropy of an isolated system always increases

Third law of t-d:
The entropy of an isolated system approaches a constant value as the temperature approaches absolute zero.

Entropy: the degree of uncertainty, disorder or randomness of an isolated system.

Tell me, then, what choice has to do with any of this. As I become colder, I will tend to make fewer choices until reaching a random point of no choice at all? I’m guessing, but I’ll wager that at absolute zero, I’ll have greater concerns than losing the ability to choose.
Benjamin
Debates: 79
Benjamin
-->
@fauxlaw
...hard upper limit

According to whom? A pocket mouse?

According to quantum mechanics, no two particles can occupy the same quanta (read: space). Since there is a finite and not an infinite amount of space in your brain, there is in fact a finite potential for memory, since information can't be stored without particles to record it. However, this theoretical limit is not important in practice. Your brain basically sorts out the important information and forget the non-important information. Your brain would also collapse into a black whole if you started to approach the quantum density limit.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Benjamin
According to quantum mechanics, no two particles can occupy the same quanta (read: space). Since there is a finite and not an infinite amount of space in your brain, there is in fact a finite potential for memory, since information can't be stored without particles to record it. However, this theoretical limit is not important in practice. Your brain basically sorts out the important information and forget the non-important information. Your brain would also collapse into a black whole if you started to approach the quantum density limit.
Well stated.
fauxlaw
fauxlaw
-->
@Benjamin
not an infinite amount of space in your brain, there is in fact a finite potential for memory, 
1. Ever hear of variable brain density, and that variable's effect on brain function, person to person?  https://www.uclahealth.org/reversibility-network/workfiles/resources/publications/luders-brain-size.pdf

For example, your memory is estimated to be roughly 2.4 petabytes
Which equates to 1M gb. Whereas, new studies show that human brain memory can store as much as 1 quadrillion bytes [10^15], or, greater than your stated capacity by 10^6.

Then add brain density variability [which means variability in brain function, including memory capacity], which has a rated variance of 40 - 81%, and that is just the mortal human brain. Who knows what increase is possible in the perfect, immortal human brain? Further, Einstein is said to have not known his own phone number, not because he was stupid, but because he realized that some things can be written down so that these items need not be remembered, raising capacity to store more critical information. Moreover, now we don't have to write things down in a notebook, or even on Joe Biden's card he keeps in his pocket at all times. We now have Apple's M1 chip. [By the way, I've seen it, bought it, and will have it on Saturday - it is blazing fast] Who says such a device cannot one day be implanted, or that such a device can still be improved upon?
Benjamin
Benjamin
-->
@fauxlaw
I fail to see how memory is important if your previous experiences don't determine your actions.

The perfect immortal human brain would have greater problems than memory shortage. For example, the universe will literally become a black-hole park in a few years, and then sometime later the entire universe will be nothing but radiation and virtual particles. At that point, the immortal human being will starve and thirst. Once there is no energy left in him, his body will literally approach absolute zero, at which point the only thing keeping him "alive" will be the inevitable flickering caused by the quantum uncertainty principle.

fauxlaw
fauxlaw
-->
@Benjamin
Once there is no energy left in him
I wonder how you can say with assurance that we will become a black hole park, a counter-argument already with a competing law that matter and energy cannot be destroyed, yet can be interchanged, and then declare that a being will one day have no energy [or, by consequence, no matter, either]. You have just violated one law to propose another exists. Sorry, I don't buy it.
Benjamin
Benjamin
-->
@fauxlaw
the perfect, immortal human brain
This is what you gave me to work with. No wonder my words made no sense.
fauxlaw
fauxlaw
-->
@Benjamin
Is there something confusing about perfection and immortality? Don't think as if the brain is limited.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@fauxlaw
ebuc
Debates: 0
ebuc
-->
@3RU7AL

The brain is finite in every way and it in no way is perfect.

As for beautiful, well beauty lies in the eye, ears or smells of the beholder.

The brain nervous system is indeed wondrous, and has ability to conceive infinite concepts and a concept of immortality, which is of course non-sense as all biologic life entities decay.

We exist in an eternally existent,  finite, occupied space Universe, where naught is lost, or created, only transformed, discovered and re-discovered, eternally.

835 days later

Critical-Tim
Critical-Tim
I believe that whether free will is dependent on determinism is based upon the lens in which you view the system. From an objective perspective we could determine that free will is dependent upon determinism, while from a subjective perspective we could determine that free will is independent from determinism.