Kamaru Usman vs Jorge Masvidal

Author: Bones

Total: 13
Bones
Debates: 29
Bones
I don't know whether people who enjoy debating also like watching people beat each other up. What do we think of the fight?
Theweakeredge
Debates: 33
Theweakeredge
-->
@Bones
I haven't watched it yet, but I can tell you why people like watching other people beat each other up - in my case specifically Boxing - because I love to see the intense level of skill, strategy, and athleticism that these people have built up - I find the strategy in boxing some of the most intense of any sports, if you go into a boxing match without a plan specifically for your opponent in any more than the amateur level - you will probably lose (unless... you have like a weight class advantage or something like that)
Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
-->
@Bones
If you wanna see some of the more experienced fighters, Anthony Joshua, Deonte Wilder, Tyson Fury, etc, etc - some really good boxers.
Sum1hugme
Debates: 37
Sum1hugme
-->
@Bones
Usman is gonna drag him down and beat him up. I mean you saw what he did to tyron woodley.
Bones
Bones
-->
@Sum1hugme
Exactly, though I will say, at the press conference, Marsvidal was for sure the crowd favourite. I'm not sure what fan in the right mind can possibly think Usman is going to lose. 
Sum1hugme
Sum1hugme
-->
@Bones
The exciting strikers that get popularized are always crowd favorites, but I bet the vegas odds will be against him on fight night.
fauxlaw
Debates: 77
fauxlaw
I don't find beating on each other to be entertaining in the slightest. I think, were I born during the Roman Empire, and I were a Roman citizen seeking entertainment, my preference would have been to invent baseball. Maybe gladiators could be umpires, for all the grunting current umpires emote. When I was a kid, I could still understand them.
Bones
Bones
-->
@Sum1hugme
Jeez Marsvidal got baptised. 
Sum1hugme
Sum1hugme
-->
@fauxlaw
Well, the sport isn't for everyone. But there's a science to it, and it's extremely deep. It's really a lot more entertaining when you understand somewhat what the fighters are trying to do.
Sum1hugme
Sum1hugme
-->
@Bones
That's what happens when you drop your parrying hand and try to counter straight punches with a hook.
Bones
Bones
-->
@Sum1hugme
It was bitter sweet when Marsvidal dropped his hands to taunt, just to get KO'ed in the next 10 seconds. At least he didn't have it as tough as Weidman...

30 days later

RationalMadman
Debates: 555
RationalMadman
The human being evolved to fight with weapons and use legs for balance, not kicking or kneeing, as well as arms for controlling said weapons as well as defending against weapon strikes either with a shield or parry-move of some sort, not for punching or elbowing or grappling.

Fist-fighting, wrestling and all resultant things are cute but in real life a skinny genius is probably defeating a muscular pro fighter if a weapon is nearby and both are aiming to surprise-attack the other. 

We also evolved to fight group-on-group not 1-v-1.

This is also why humans are infinitely, yes practically infinitely, more intelligent than all other species, it's because the way we evolved to fight required intelligence and cunning, not just brute strength, speed etc.
Theweakeredge
Theweakeredge
RMM

Uumm... boxing definitely isn't dictated by brute strength and speed... that's definitely a part of it, but without technique, that's almost useless, 'specially cause of the weight division. And we are talking about sports here... knowing how to kick a ball through a goal isn't gonna help you in life either, but you don't see anyone havin' a problem with that. But, even if we grant that mode of thinking, if two people don't have a weapon (and even if someone does) and you don't have a weapon. Which is better - to know boxing or know nothing? The clear answer is boxing, its just another tool in your belt, yes, weapons are definitely preferable, but in the instance that you do not have access to weapons, it is definitely better to know how to fight than not.