Are Drafts ethical?

Author: Theweakeredge

Total: 5
Theweakeredge
Debates: 33
Theweakeredge
I find myself at a crossroads -  speaking from a libertarian framework - drafts are literally the enemy of everything one would stand for - but speaking from a collectivists framework - do drafts do enough good to counteract this freedom abuse (and I mean actual abuse of freedom - not like... forcing people to not be bigots)
RationalMadman
Debates: 565
RationalMadman
Desperate times, desperate measures.

That sums up how I see it.

Unless it's desperate, I find mandatory Conscription ridiculous. Switzerland and South Korea have it for all males especially (I am referring to sex not chosen gender).

By the age of 22-24 every healthy male in those nations has been trained in/by the military for around 1 year minimum.

I think it's a bit ridiculous.

However, Israel's mandatory Conscription makes far more sense given the situation.

Sum1hugme
Debates: 37
Sum1hugme
-->
@Theweakeredge
If a nation can effectively field a volunteer army, that is the desired. However, a nation fighting for it's very existence may need to conscript. It really comes down to if the national government is fighting a just war, or if it is not a just war. If it is a just war, such as a war of defence against invasion, then it may become necessary for the survival of the entire nation.
oromagi
Debates: 117
oromagi
I like the idea of mandatory National service after high school that includes one year of military training (emphasis on physical fitness)  followed by a year with an option to

• continue in some military specialization or
  • some alternate civil service (jobs like firefighting, National Parks, vaccination programs, federal field research, etc preferably with some application toward individual interests
In exchange, the Federal Govt. will cover the cost of all higher education/job training after service.

I would expect to see  a significant reduction in crime since the majority of all crime is done by 18-24 yr olds.
I would expect to see significant improvement in general physical fitness with associated improvements in health outcomes.
I would expect to see considerable improvement in college readiness, elimination of college debt and considerable improvement in job readiness after college.
In a single generation, I'd expect to see considerable declines in social inequities between class and ethnic divisions.

Polytheist-Witch
Debates: 1
Polytheist-Witch
-->
@oromagi
I like the idea of mandatory National service after high school that includes one year of military training (emphasis on physical fitness)  followed by a year with an option to

• continue in some military specialization or
  • some alternate civil service (jobs like firefighting, National Parks, vaccination programs, federal field research, etc preferably with some application toward individual interests
In exchange, the Federal Govt. will cover the cost of all higher education/job training after service.

I would expect to see  a significant reduction in crime since the majority of all crime is done by 18-24 yr olds.
I would expect to see significant improvement in general physical fitness with associated improvements in health outcomes.
I would expect to see considerable improvement in college readiness, elimination of college debt and considerable improvement in job readiness after college.
In a single generation, I'd expect to see considerable declines in social inequities between class and ethnic divisions.
I like it