I'm agnostic and I think we need a law based on the 10 commandments of the bible.

Author: TheUnderdog

Total: 40
Timid8967
Debates: 0
Timid8967
-->
@TheUnderdog
I assume you mean "leave their country".  Why not? If they abused their national citizenship, why should they not be forced to leave? 

The same rule applies to EVERY club in our country. The rules state is you abuse the rest of the club, your membership will be terminated. 
SkepticalOne
Debates: 9
SkepticalOne
-->
@TheUnderdog
Honor your father and your mother.  Punishment is up to 3 lashings if the parents desire this.
Some parents deserve no respect.

You shall not murder.  Punishment is life imprisonment.
Leaves no room for rehabilitation.

You shall not rape.  Punishment is life imprisonment.
Definite improvement over the original. But, again, no room is left for rehabilitation.

You shall not commit adultery unless both partners consent.  Punishment is mandatory counseling to prevent further adultury.
Is it really adultery when both partners consent? Besides that, I'm not sure why government has a legitimate interest in personal relationships. 

You shall not steal.  Punishment is 2 weeks in jail doing community service for every $1000 worth of stuff stolen.  Sentence can be reduced by 2 weeks per $1000 that is returned.  After the sentence (since you stole due to lack of money), the state offers you a job doing productive work, and this gets you out of poverty so you don't have to steal again.
There should be an age limit, and ...can someone steal $999 without consequence? I would also be against indentured servitude...it seems like we should be beyond that in this day and age.

You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.  Punishment is the punishment your neighbor would have received.
I'm not in favor of this. Would it be a crime to tell a white lie or protect someone with a lie? I have a hard time seeing how punishment for either circumstance would be reasonable. Suffice to say, the original commandment 'not to lie' leaves no exception and this suffers the same problem.

I don't understand the proposed punishment.

Outplayz
Outplayz
-->
@TheUnderdog
I can imagine plenty of good things that can come out of cheating if both parties grow from it. Or, i can imagine good things to come out of cheating if the parties don't grow from it and split... then, maybe find their actual true partners, or maybe grow in different ways. 
TheUnderdog
Debates: 5
TheUnderdog
-->
@SkepticalOne
Some parents deserve no respect.
This commandment has been repealed from my proposed American commandments.

You shall not murder. Punishment is life imprisonment.
Leaves no room for rehabilitation.

You shall not rape.  Punishment is life imprisonment.
Definite improvement over the original. But, again, no room is left for rehabilitation.
I don’t think murderers or rapists should be getting rehabilitated.  Their victims did not consent.

There should be an age limit, and ...can someone steal $999 without consequence? I would also be against indentured servitude...it seems like we should be beyond that in this day and age.
If someone steals less than $1000 (like $500), then they would be doing community service for a week.  The commandment’s punishment is a ratio.

If you steal money, you should pay back your debt.  Indentured servitude generally takes years, this would be done in a few weeks if a small amount of money is stolen.

Is it really adultery when both partners consent? Besides that, I'm not sure why government has a legitimate interest in personal relationships.
Most people don’t want to be cheated on, so there needs to be deterrence.  Adultery is a married person having sex with someone other than their spouse, whether their spouse consents or not.

Would it be a crime to tell a white lie or protect someone with a lie?
There is no such thing (with few exceptions) as a lie in a court of law.  But given that it is basically lying, the commandment can be repealed.
TheUnderdog
TheUnderdog
-->
@Outplayz
If the partners aren’t for each other anymore, they can divorce.  Divorce isn’t banned under the American commandments.
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@TheUnderdog
Thou shalt not read the Bible.

Problems solved.
TheUnderdog
TheUnderdog
-->
@zedvictor4
I don’t think reading the Bible should be banned.
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@TheUnderdog
Obviously not.

Though it does generate a lot of angst.
Outplayz
Outplayz
-->
@TheUnderdog
that's not how reality works. There are many emotions and situations you are leaving out of "just divorce" ... i know a few people that got over a cheating spell, and are even closer to each other now than they were before bc they settled it... if they would have "just divorced" they would have lost each other. You think black and white... the world is grey. 
TheUnderdog
TheUnderdog
-->
@Outplayz
 i know a few people that got over a cheating spell, and are even closer to each other now than they were before bc they settled it
This is probably because there is a good chance they went to therapy over it.  This is why I think people who cheat on their spouses without the spouse's consent and get caught should go to 10 hours of mandatory therapy to prevent adultury happening again.