Does the Bible teach a flat Earth

Author: Benjamin

Read-only
Total: 98
Benjamin
Debates: 94
Benjamin
Does the Bible teach a flat Earth?

If it does, would images from space of a round Earth disprove the Bible?
Benjamin
Debates: 94
Benjamin
-->
@BrotherDThomas
What do you and Jesus think?
Theweakeredge
Debates: 33
Theweakeredge
-->
@Benjamin
There are certainly some passages that would suggest a flat earth. Some verses about how the earth doesn't move to get ya looking for 'em.

• 1 Chronicles 16:30: “He has fixed the earth firm, immovable.”
  • Psalm 93:1: “Thou hast fixed the earth immovable and firm ...”
  • Psalm 96:10: “He has fixed the earth firm, immovable ...”
  • Psalm 104:5: “Thou didst fix the earth on its foundation so that it never can be shaken.”
  • Isaiah 45:18: “...who made the earth and fashioned it, and himself fixed it fast..

ronjs
Debates: 0
ronjs
-->
@Theweakeredge
none of those verses indicate a flat earth, only a fixed earth.
rosends
rosends
The bible does refer to the "four corners" of the world which some see as a reference to a flat earth. The phrase, though, is metaphorical and refers to the human visualization of the world, not of the world, itself.
Timid8967
Timid8967
-->
@Benjamin
If it does, would images from space of a round Earth disprove the Bible?

A not tainted or amended photo is unable to demonstrate the earth is flat. It is impossible to do so.  

We however do not have to rely upon a photo.  Science has demonstrated the earth is a globe.  

The bible has verses which might well indicate its authors believed the world is flat.   Certainly, it declares the world is  fixed in its place. And even that the sun can be stopped. And that the world has four corners.  Of course this is probably metaphorical. But it is a fact that many people around the world emphatically declare that the bible teaches flat earth theory - and themselves are advocates of it. 
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@ronjs
none of those verses indicate a flat earth, only a fixed earth.

Which we now know isn't fixed in its position but has a massive elliptical orbit.  
ronjs
ronjs
-->
@Stephen
Yes, it is fixed in that massive elliptical orbit.
ronjs
ronjs
-->
@rosends
Yes, and it is still in use today, despite knowing the shape of the earth.
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@ronjs
But you do also know that the earth does not return to the same place after every elliptical orbit that it makes, don't you? 
BrotherDThomas
Debates: 2
BrotherDThomas
-->
@rosends
@Benjamin

Rosends,

YOUR UNGODLY QUOTE:  "The bible does refer to the "four corners" of the world which some see as a reference to a flat earth. The phrase, though, is metaphorical and refers to the human visualization of the world, not of the world, itself."

How dare you slap your brutal serial killer Jewish God Yahweh in the face by insidiously being anachronistic in stating that His word is a LIE by being Satanically METAPHORICAL relative to the earth being flat by using the notion of it having 4 corners?   Where do YOU get the authority to REWRITE your Jewish Bible and other Jewish writings relative to the earth being FLAT and having 4 corners?!

Are you also calling your Isaiah and Ezekiel a LIAR too?!

"He will raise a signal for the nations and will assemble the banished of Israel, and gather the dispersed of Judah from the four corners of the earth. (Isaiah 11:12)

“And you, O son of man, thus says the Lord God to the land of Israel: An end! The end has come upon the four corners of the land." (Ezekiel 7:2)

PROVE BIBLICALLY WITHOUT A DOUBT THAT THE INSPIRED WORD OF YAHWEH IS A LIE RELATIVE TO THE EARTH BEING FLAT AND HAVING 4 CORNERS!  

Rosends, I expected more from you regarding your Jewish faith as it was written! BLASPHEME!

rosends
rosends
-->
@BrotherDThomas
Remember BroD, I am speaking as a Jew, using an understanding of "Inspired word of" God to include things you don't think count.

Speaking from that perspective, try reading some of the info here:

BrotherDThomas
BrotherDThomas
-->
@Benjamin
@Timid8967

Timid8967, the half-assed member since he doesn't have a biography,

YOUR UNGODLY BIBLE IGNORANT QUOTE: "Certainly, it declares the world is  fixed in its place. And even that the sun can be stopped. And that the world has four corners.  Of course this is probably metaphorical."

Addressing your total Bible ineptness:  

1.  You mentioned that the earth is fixed in it's place, but you forgot about said earth having pillars to hold it up, Bible fool! (Job 9:6).  

2.  Also, when you mentioned that the sun can be stopped, this also precludes that the earth is therefore the center of our solar system, and again you forgot to mention the Moon stood still as well, Bible fool, get it? (Joshua 10:13)  

3.  Jesus' inspired words within the scriptures state that the earth has 4 corners (Isaiah 11:12 and other passages), therefore you forgot to mention that this proves beyond any doubt whatsoever that since GOD JESUS stated these cosmology points herein, then they have to be TRUE because they are direct words from the serial killer Hebrew Christian GOD!  2+2=4.

Timid8967, your Bible stupidity is excused for now until you once again step in the proverbial poo, understood?

Damn it, we need Tradesecret and ethang5 in this discussion for their comical Bible rewrites in calling Jesus a LIAR like they did so many times on specific axiomatic Bible topics, and where they would do it upon this topic as well at their laughable expense once again!  Where is this scaredy cat Satanic comedy duo hiding now, does anyone know? LOL

BrotherDThomas
BrotherDThomas
-->
@rosends
@Benjamin

Rosends, ungodly rewriter of the Torah, Tanakh, Talmud, and other Jewish writings,

YOUR UNGODLY QUOTE ONCE AGAIN: "Remember BroD, I am speaking as a Jew, using an understanding of "Inspired word of" God to include things you don't think count."

I know you are speaking as a Hell bound Jew because you do not believe in Jesus as Yahweh God incarnate, duh!  The only thing I need to think about is you rewriting your Jewish writings regarding the cosmology of Yahweh's direct words in said Jewish writings!  Furthermore, I am not going to open the Satanic link that you gave me for the possibility of my computer exploding and catching fire because of its Satanic information that would contradict my post #11!   

You fail to realize the cosmology of the Hebrew faith at the time of its godly writings, which is TRUELY presented in the link below, where it is sad that a TRUE Christian like myself has to give you these Hebrew godly facts! :

Here is one of my former 9 wives that is proud to wear a Flat Earth T-shirt, praise the TRUE words of the Hebrew Bible and the JUDEO-Christian Bible! https://i.pinimg.com/236x/aa/d4/97/aad4970a91b1924b5105292f5bc1cd64.jpg

rosends
rosends
-->
@BrotherDThomas
Unbelievable!
You former wife believed that there are 10 Flat Earths? I'm glad she is no longer your wife because that kind of thinking leads to bad, bad ends.

But the other picture is really cute and clearly to scale! Thanks.
Timid8967
Timid8967
-->
@BrotherDThomas
Brother, did you forget your own memo? 

You indicated that it is ONLY theists who require a bio.  This provided you with an exemption for Stephen since he is an atheist and going to Hell.  Well since I, according to you are going to be joining him, since I too am not a theist, you have also given me an exemption. 

I am not pretending to know the bible when clearly I don't know it as well as you. 

All your comments are doing are reinforcing my point that the bible is a book that ought to be burnt.  Get me a lighter. 

zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@ronjs
Nothing is fixed.

And biblical information was relative to accepted scholarly thought.

We have since developed new and better scholarly thoughts....And rockets....And photographic images...Etc etc.
BrotherDThomas
BrotherDThomas
-->
@rosends

Rosends, ungodly rewriter of the Torah, Tanakh, Talmud, and other Jewish writings,

In your last 2 posts to me, you have forgotten your mission of my post #11 in proving beyond any doubt that your brutal serial killer Yahweh God didn't really mean for His creation to accept that the earth is flat and has 4 corners!  Why?  It is not like you to RUN AWAY from biblical axioms as written, what gives? Whereas for me, I have to accept the word of Yahweh/Jesus as presented within the scriptures which defines me as a TRUE Christian, get it?  In other words, who am I to call Yahweh/Jesus a LIAR of their written word?!

Awaiting your  cogent response to the topic at hand above, metaphorical my ass!

BrotherDThomas
BrotherDThomas
-->
@Timid8967

Timid8967, the half-assed member that does not have a biography,

In answering you being an alleged non-theist in your post #16,

YOUR DIRECT QUOTE IN WANTING TO BE A PSEUDO-CHRISTIAN: “I have to admit that for the first time in my entire life, i have been embarrassed to be non-theist.  Your words make me want to worship Jesus and to call him God Almighty. Everything you say makes perfect sense and suddenly i am confused about what to do.”   https://www.debateart.com/forum/topics/5961-earliest-mention-of-jesus-christ?page=2&post_number=37

Talking about “memos” that you are going directly against, is your own when your quote above stipulates that you want to be, and are a pseudo-christian by now, get it? Huh? Maybe? 2+2=4.

Therefore using simple math that even you can understand relative to your quote above, YOU ARE A CHRISTIAN since the faith made sense to you, therefore you need a biography to tell us what DIVISION of the faith you are following, and to tell us more in how you are to spread the word!

Why do pseudo-christians make it so easy for Jesus and I to make them hypocritical fools? Tradesecret and ethang5 definitely knew this fact! LOL

NEXT?

rosends
rosends
-->
@BrotherDThomas
I disagree. I firmly believe that your ass is literal! How dare you deny the actual creation of your body by God! 
BrotherDThomas
BrotherDThomas
-->
@rosends

Rosends, ungodly rewriter of the Torah, Tanakh, Talmud, and other Jewish writings, and runaway from biblical axioms,

How embarrassed do you want to get in front of the membership of this esteemed forum by calling your Yahweh God a LIAR?  

You have now RAN AWAY 4 TIMES from your biblical ignorance of your Jewish writings by not addressing you ungodly stating that it was a  metaphorical reference regarding Yahweh's written words when they stated the earth is flat by having  4 corners!!!

When you perform this ungodly act shown above, you show the membership and Yahweh that you are too embarrassed to defend His direct written words within your Jewish writings, but only to RUN AWAY from them, and therefore your faith is all for naught and you then become a pseudo-jew!

What is going to be your next outright embarrassing excuse to RUN AWAY from your Jewish writings as shown above? 

Stephen
Stephen
-->
@BrotherDThomas
Timid8967, the half-assed member that does not have a biography,

In answering you being an alleged non-theist in your post #16,

YOUR DIRECT QUOTE IN WANTING TO BE A PSEUDO-CHRISTIAN: “I have to admit that for the first time in my entire life, i have been embarrassed to be non-theist.  Your words make me want to worship Jesus and to call him God Almighty. Everything you say makes perfect sense and suddenly i am confused about what to do.”   https://www.debateart.com/forum/topics/5961-earliest-mention-of-jesus-christ?page=2&post_number=37

Talking about “memos” that you are going directly against, is your own when your quote above stipulates that you want to be, and are a pseudo-christian by now, get it? Huh? Maybe? 2+2=4.

Therefore using simple math that even you can understand relative to your quote above, YOU ARE A CHRISTIAN since the faith made sense to you, therefore you need a biography to tell us what DIVISION of the faith you are following, and to tell us more in how you are to spread the word!

Of course he's a christian pretending not to be, Brother.  See here. He's a sly christian attempting in a roundabout way to push the burden of proof onto the atheist  in this link Brother>>>>> #151  And notice he won't explain why he believes that "we" and "us" atheists should shoulder the burden of proof.
 And by denying that he even believes in god and believes the bible should be burned he has shot himself in the foot, but is far too simple to realise it.

rosends
rosends
-->
@BrotherDThomas
Hey, just to clarify -- (and don't think I have forgotten about your claim that your ass is a metaphor when it is decidedly not)

What do you think I have rewritten? All i have done is referred to texts which you don't know. How has that rewritten what any other text includes?

Just curious, because if you are moving in the direction which i guess you are (that the only valid appraoch is a literal approach) then you have a particular presentation of all of Judaism as wrong and problematic and that makes you an anti-Semite. Could you please just confirm that you are an anti-Semite, and one who doesn't appreciate his own ass?

Thanks ever so much!
Timid8967
Timid8967
-->
@Stephen
@BrotherDThomas
If it were possible for you to understand sarcasm, which evidently even you in your ironic fake persona seems unlikely, then you would have  seen what was written in that light. 

You are so obviously a fake, and not even a funny one, that it does embarrass non-theists like me when I read the stuff that you write. Yes, it was probably amusing in the first instance, but people with a desire to find bridges between opposing views on the world, see such humor as distasteful and backwards.  

I merely responded in kind to your words - expecting at the time that you understand my sarcasm and respond as you most predictably ought to have done. I was surprised it too you some while to pick up my words.  Yet, given the buffoon you are attempting too build, this too should not surprise me. 

I am not a Christian. And you saying that I am, does not change the fact.  I am a non-theist.  I don't refer to myself as an atheist because I think that is intellectually misleading.  Yet, if others refer to themselves as such, that is their prerogative. I do for me what I think is right. Others can do the same for themselves.  

Burden of Proof does lie with the theist by default.   I have never resisted the philosophy of this notion. Yet,  pragmatically it only ends up with everyone going around in circles.  You might prefer that. Obviously you do because it enables you to continue living in your imaginary place of empowerment. I prefer to think outside the box. I prefer to challenge the accepted defaults in society. I prefer rather to find solutions to problems.   Going around and around in circles mounting the same old boring arguments has not achieved anything. It really has not. Religious people remain religious people. Yeah more and more might be less inclined to label themselves as such but they retain the traditions but now are under the radar.  And this does not even take on board of the millions of people every year who become religious - from atheistic backgrounds. 

While the non-theists or the non- religious in this world allow the religious people to set the agenda - which we do by insisting without question that they are the ones who have the B.of P.  then the non-religious have no choice but to sit back and respond.  Even you Stephen get caught with this - don't you? You start threads and they end up going around and around in circles. You start with an interesting thought - and then hand the bat and ball over the theist who takes it and hits a home run and then you stand around in the middle of the field wondering what the F just happened.  

And how do you respond? like every atheist who cannot think outside of the box.  If that is how you want to play this - that is fine. It is a matter for you. Yet if I want to do something different, that is my prerogative.  I am not tied to the box that you are tied to.  

BrotherDThomas
BrotherDThomas
-->
@Timid8967

Timid8967, to scared to create a biography, and now a blatant LIAR,

YOUR GRADE SCHOOL BACK PEDDLING QUOTE TO TRY AND SAVE FACE TOWARDS YOUR FURTHER EMBARRASSMENT UPON THIS FORUM: “If it were possible for you to understand sarcasm, which evidently even you in your ironic fake persona seems unlikely, then you would have seen what was written in that light.” 

My following links preclude that you are a pseudo-christian where you agreed with true Christianity and were elated with it:

Now, to try and save face in what minuscule validity you have left within this esteemed forum, you turn yourself into a blatant LIAR now by using the “sarcasm ruse” in what you presented in the above links were just a LIE!  Wasn’t it enough chagrin for you in not having a biography, where your ruse above only adds more humiliation for you within this forum?  Priceless.

TIMID8967, the irony is the FACT that you turned into something that you are allegedly against, and that was you giving Christianity “airtime and oxygen” in answering my Christian links shown above!  H-E-L-L-O?  Can you spell H-Y-P-O-C-R-I-T-E? Sure you can!  LOL!

BrotherDThomas
BrotherDThomas
-->
@Timid8967

Timid8967, to scared to create a biography, and now a blatant LIAR,

YOUR WANTING QUOTE IN POST #24 SUBSEQUENT TO ME EASILY SCHOOLING YOU: “You are so obviously a fake, and not even a funny one, that it does embarrass non-theists like me when I read the stuff that you write.” 

As it is easily shown, how does it feel to be owned by the Brother D, and therefore you have to come up with your grasping for straws quote above in a pitiful defense? 

I get this false notion all the time of allegedly being a fake, and it is because it is rare to encounter a TRUE Christian like myself because I follow ALL of Jesus’ inspired words within the JUDEO-Christian Bible and call Him out to His TRUE modus operandi!  Whereas  wannabe pseudo-christians like you do not. Understood? Huh?

Your other trite comments to me are only your simple-minded vacuous opinions that are a dime-a-dozen in this forum, where they show that you are trying so hard to make inroads in disparaging the Brother D, whereas your outright hypocrisy as shown in my post #25 above takes center stage!  Sorry.  :( 

Timid8967, to save yourself further embarrassment, you are excused for now, that is, until you step in the proverbial poo once again at your dumbfounded expense.

SkepticalOne
Debates: 9
SkepticalOne
-->
@Benjamin
The Bible is a literary rorschach. It can be used to support most anything desired...and no proof can sway the dogmatist to believe their interpretation is wrong.
BrotherDThomas
BrotherDThomas
-->
@rosends

Rosends, ungodly rewriter of the Torah, Tanakh, Talmud, and other Jewish writings, and runaway from Jewish biblical axioms,

At your chagrin once again in front of your Yahweh God and the membership, you have now RAN AWAY 5 TIMES in a non-sequitur stance in not being able to address my question to you, whereas you stated that when your Yahweh’s inspired words states that the earth has 4 corners, therefore being FLAT, you said it was just a metaphorical reference and not to be taken literally. Huh?

Therefore in my direct question to you AGAIN, you are to prove without a doubt that the inspired words of your Jewish God Yahweh in stating that the earth has 4 corners and is therefore FLAT, is therefore a lie relative to your position that when Yahweh stated this biblical axiom, you stated it was metaphorical instead. Furthermore, where do you get the authority to REWRITE Yahweh's DIRECT words in this respect?  Please, tell us!

He will raise a signal for the nations and will assemble the banished of Israel, and gather the dispersed of Judah from the four corners of the earth.” (Isaiah 11:12)

“And you, O son of man, thus says the Lord God to the land of Israel: An end! The end has come upon the four corners of the land.” (Ezekiel 7:2)

BrotherDThomas
BrotherDThomas

Rosends, ungodly rewriter of the Torah, Tanakh, Talmud, and other Jewish writings, and runaway from Jewish biblical axioms,

YOUR YET ANOTHER RUNAWAY QUOTE IN YOUR POST #23 EXCUSE TO NOT ANSWER MY QUESTION: “What do you think I have rewritten? All i have done is referred to texts which you don't know. How has that rewritten what any other text includes?”

Barring your now comical smoke screen in trying to hide from said topic, and to circumvent the FACT that you cannot even come close to responding to my question to you in my post #28 above, other than to embarrassingly run away from it 5 times now, you have rewritten your Yahweh’s words by specifically stating that what His inspired words said about the earth having 4 corners is METAPHORICAL, GET IT? HUH? MAYBE?!!!

YOUR EVER SO WANTING QUOTE IN THE FACT THAT YOU ARE STILL HIDING FROM YOUR YAHWEH STATING THAT THE EARTH HAS 4 CORNERS:  “ …. then you have a particular presentation of all of Judaism as wrong and problematic and that makes you an anti-Semite.“

OMG, why would your ruse of the anti-semetic card towards me come into play just because YOU cannot answer my simple question to you in my post #28 above?  H-E-L-L-O? Anybody home today? LOL!  Listen, if you are that embarrassed about your serial killer Yahweh stating that the earth has 4 corners and is therefore FLAT, just say so, okay? Why continue to flop around like a fish out of water in you trying in vain to anachronistically REWRITE your Jewish God’s word?  

Now, what is your next embarrassing non-sequitur runaway post going to be in not being able to answer my question in question? 

rosends
rosends
-->
@BrotherDThomas
I'm glad you are ok. You took a while in answering so I was beginning to worry about you. I wonder if you think that the text is always literal. I wonder if you think that understanding any of the text to be anything other than literal is "rewriting".  Literally speaking, the text never says that the world has 4 corners. Corner in "k-r-n" but the text in question uses the root k-n-f, a totally different word -- this is basic Hebrew. You DO know Hebrew, don't you? That's the language that the text was written in.

Wait, are you recommending relying on someone's rewriting of the text into another language? Why are you REWRITING that as "corner" when the word doesn't mean "corner"? You are asking me to defend something which isn't actually what the text says. 

Why do you keep running away from the truth?