How do you define "God"...

Author: SkepticalOne

Total: 187
SkepticalOne
Debates: 9
SkepticalOne
...and how did you come to this definition?
fauxlaw
Debates: 77
fauxlaw
-->
@SkepticalOne
God [the Father] is the literal Father of our spirits; all of us. His Son, Jesus Christ, the son of him in spirit, and in the flesh, the only child of God to bear that distinction, is the creator of this world and the "heaven" around it, [which may not be the entire universe, and perhaps just our galaxy] at the direction of the Father, and our savior and redeemer by atonement, pr propitiation, from lives of sin, conditional on our acceptance of him, and our repentance for sin. The Holy Ghost, the third of the Godhead, is the rightful source of our comfort in pain and suffering, and the testator of all truth to us. There are, therefore, three separate individual gods who work in complete harmony and unity to achieve eternal glory for mankind, conditional on our performance in regard to love of God, and love of our fellow man, which, by Christ's own words, are the two great commandments on which all others ["the law and the prophets"] hang. We cannot love God without love of one another. by which love we would not commit any sin against ourselves or one another.
SkepticalOne
SkepticalOne
-->
@fauxlaw
How did you come to this definition? Do you hope to sway other people to believe as you do?

three separate individual gods

And, not necessarily related to the Op, but do you consider yourself to be a polytheist?

zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@SkepticalOne
GODS are various derivatives of the once commonly held notion that somewhere up there is something else greater than us.

The GOD principle, is that which may perpetuate the creation, evolution and collapse of a material Universe....The accumulation of all knowledge, maybe.
fauxlaw
fauxlaw
-->
@SkepticalOne
How did you come to this definition? 
It is the doctrine of the the Church of Jesis Christ of Latter-day Saints, of which I am a member, and as taught in the scriptures, but not just the Holy Bible, but also the Book of Mormon, the Doctrine & Covenants, and the pearl of Great Price.

Yes, I am definitely a polytheist, because there are innumerable Gods. God the Father has a Father who is a God, and there is his Father, ,and so on back into an eternity of past, as there will be of future. That is why I believe [this is mine, not doctrine of the Church] that our Gather in Heaven directed the creation, by Jesus, as a pre-mortal spirit, the firstborn of God in the spirit, which may have consisted of just this galaxy, with earlier gods in ancestry, God's fathers, if you will, creating others. The process repeats continuously, and will into the future. Among our generation of spirit children, born on earth to physical parents, will have the opportunity for those who are obedient to God to become gods, themselves. That is the ultimate destiny of man; to repeat this cycle.
ronjs
Debates: 0
ronjs
-->
@SkepticalOne
God is the uncreated creator, common sense and logic.
SkepticalOne
SkepticalOne
-->
@ronjs
What is your logical process for your definition?
Polytheist-Witch
Debates: 1
Polytheist-Witch
Depends. There is the one source, infinite intelligence that is the life force of the universe and then there are gods. Who are beings that have evolved to be if not immortal at least long lasting enough to have a vast amount of knowledge they are ready to share if you engage with them. Or are spirits of natural processes that have worked with men so long they are able to be called on by man for assistance. 
SkepticalOne
SkepticalOne
-->
@fauxlaw
It is the doctrine of the the Church of Jesis Christ of Latter-day Saints, of which I am a member, and as taught in the scriptures, but not just the Holy Bible, but also the Book of Mormon, the Doctrine & Covenants, and the pearl of Great Price.
Why should any of that be thought authoritative?
fauxlaw
fauxlaw
-->
@SkepticalOne
Did you ask for authoritative? Nope. New rules?
SkepticalOne
SkepticalOne
-->
@fauxlaw
Do you have no desire to sway others to believe in your god? If so, then you will eventually need to establish the source of your definition as authoritative, right?

If you have no desire to sway others, then it doesn't matter and I thank you for your input.

EtrnlVw
EtrnlVw
-->
@SkepticalOne
How do you define "God"...

Long definition-
The highest Universal Principle, the final cause of all that exists. Pervasive, creative, infinite, eternal Reality and the single binding unity behind diversity in all that exists in the universe..... is everywhere and inside each living being, and there is connected spiritual oneness in all existence.

Short definition-
Preceding, creative conscious awareness which originates, governs and observes that which exists.

...and how did you come to this definition?

From the Sanskrit term known as "Brahman". Because I agree with it.
Other than that, it is my interpretation that the universe is a product of intelligence and that the conscious soul (us) is a fraction/version of the eternal conscious Soul (God). Creation (including us) is a mirror of the expressions of God. Thought can be interpreted behind the processes of our universe and God can be innately known deep in conscious experience because each soul comes from that Reality.  

BrotherDThomas
Debates: 2
BrotherDThomas
-->
@SkepticalOne

SkepticalOne,

YOUR REVEALING QUOTE: "How do you define God and how did you come to this definition?"

In your future posts upon this topic, you should mention "which God" one is referring too, remember?  This is because the remaining 3 Gods, that are the same god,  are the Hebrew Yahweh, the Christian Jesus, and the Muslim Allah, all from the blood line of Abraham, but in their biblical writings, all contradict each other which is another disturbing topic to be discussed, and hopefully without the pseudo-christians within this thread at this time would not RUN AWAY from! LOL

Since I am the ONLY True Christian within this esteemed forum, I have to be biblically honest and accept that my God JESUS  is described in the following ways as explicitly shown within the JUDEO-Christian Bible.  Whereas Jesus is greedy, jealous, selfish, self-centered, petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capricious, and malevolent primitive Bronze and Iron Age Yahweh/Jesus god.

Therefore as shown above, I easily came to the above decision because I actually READ THE JUDEO-Christian Bible, and not be spoon fed of its content like EVERY PSEUDO-CHRISTIAN of various contradicting DIVISIONS of Christianity like is shown within your thread at this time!  Praise Jesus' true modus operandi!  

Polytheist-Witch
Debates: 1
Polytheist-Witch
-->
@SkepticalOne
If you have no desire to sway others, then it doesn't matter and I thank you for your input.

Finally someone admits they have not no desire to actually discuss religion. They are just here to witness to the evangelicals. 
SkepticalOne
SkepticalOne
-->
@Polytheist-Witch
Haha! Nah, that's not it. If he is not trying to sway others, then what is his burden of proof?
Timid8967
Timid8967
-->
@SkepticalOne
God is the one we find worthy above all others.  Hence we worship it.  It might be a superstitious person or thing. It might be a power or principle - but in most cases it is simply us. 

We are our own god - because we think we are more worthy than anyone else - we worship ourselves. 

I am the captain of my own soul - the master of my own destiny. The most important in this world is me.  

I am the center of my own universe.  Everything I do - is about me and for me and to make me succeed and go forth. 

Stephen
Stephen
-->
@Timid8967
God is the one we find worthy above all others.  Hence we worship it.  It might be a superstitious person or thing. It might be a power or principle - but in most cases it is simply us. 

We are our own god - because we think we are more worthy than anyone else - we worship ourselves

I am the captain of my own soul - the master of my own destiny. The most important in this world is me.  

I am the center of my own universe.  Everything I do - is about me and for me and to make me succeed and go forth. 

So which is it ? "we" "us"  "ourselves" or in your own case "I" and "me",  or a "god"?  

Timid8967
Timid8967
-->
@Stephen
God is the one we find worthy above all others.  Hence we worship it.  It might be a superstitious person or thing. It might be a power or principle - but in most cases it is simply us. 

We are our own god - because we think we are more worthy than anyone else - we worship ourselves

I am the captain of my own soul - the master of my own destiny. The most important in this world is me.  

I am the center of my own universe.  Everything I do - is about me and for me and to make me succeed and go forth. 

So which is it ? "we" "us"  "ourselves" or in your own case "I" and "me",  or a "god"?  
We and us are humanity.  I in this particular case is me.  Or generally speaking it also could be all of humanity.  I think it speaks for itself.  
Bones
Debates: 30
Bones
non-existent 
SkepticalOne
SkepticalOne
-->
@Timid8967
How did you come to this definition?
SkepticalOne
SkepticalOne
-->
@Bones
I wouldn't disagree, but you seem much more certain about it than I...perhaps unreasonably certain?
FLRW
FLRW
-->
@SkepticalOne
Bones probably read what Albert Einstein said in 1954, one year before he died.  “The word God is for me nothing but the expression of and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of venerable but still rather primitive legends, No interpretation, no matter how subtle, can (for me) change anything about this.”
Bones
Debates: 30
Bones
-->
@SkepticalOne
I am as certain that there is no God, as I am certain that there aren't invisible/inaudible/intangible/undetectable naked men dancing in my front porch. Not 100%, not getting there. 
Timid8967
Timid8967
-->
@SkepticalOne
Observation.  Intuition.  Psychology. 
ronjs
ronjs
-->
@SkepticalOne
The creator of time, space and matter could not be comprised of or constrained by space, time and matter.
SkepticalOne
SkepticalOne
-->
@Timid8967
I suspect mainly tuition for that definition...unless, of course, you could demonstrate it in some way.
SkepticalOne
SkepticalOne
-->
@ronjs
What does it mean to be outside of time? ...or comprised of something other than matter (and not dependent on it)? 

And, how do you know this?
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@SkepticalOne
And, how do you know this?
Quite.

Theweakeredge
Debates: 33
Theweakeredge
-->
@ronjs
As far as we know - there is nothing not made of matter, occupying space not in space, etc - that would inherently make your god "nothing", a self-contradicting premise if I've ever seen one.

So the correct answer here is "we don't know what made the universe" at least until we can prove that something did in fact precede the big bang. 
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@ronjs
The creation of matter is seemingly impossible, so we must conclude that this potential has always existed, even though this is also seemingly impossible.

And time and space do not need creation...These potentials always exist.

We can also more reasonably conclude, that matter evolves.....Perhaps to a meaningful conclusion and re-establishment.....This is how I define a GOD principle.

No floaty about blokes actually required.