-->
@Reece101
Sometimes, sometimes we don't recognize foreign crafts, meh
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Reece101
A UFO is any airborne object that cannot be identified.

Is it a bird is it a plane?

And which government might be conspiring, and with who?

I would personally suggest that little green men are the stuff of fantasy.

Interstellar space travel is not for the faint hearted, and any such civilisation would need to be technologically super-advanced.

A little metal saucer crashing in Nevada, with a couple of little humanesque blokes on board, is just a bit too naive for an interstellar civilisation.
FLRW
Debates: 0
FLRW
-->
@Reece101

I don't know. Ask Fox Mulder and Dana Scully.

oromagi
Debates: 117
oromagi
-->
@Reece101
I think the answer is yes but not in the way that you mean.

• First of all, as zed points out, there's a lot of conflation of unidentified flying objects with spacecraft, which is absurd.
    • There is no evidence of any non-Terran life, period.
    • Just because an object is unidentified does not that hostile or covert sentient must be at work. 
      • We fail to identify objects on the ground every day and never assume that some mysterious force is the cause.
  • There is very little to motivate proper investigation of such events.
    • People who want to believe in mysterious causes are unmotivated to investigate asiduously because they don't want their bubbles popped.
    • People who are skeptical of mysterious causes are unmotivated  to investigate because the truth is usually dull and profitless.  All of the profit is in the believing.
  • My outlook is informed by my father, who had Fox Mulder's job for a few years investigating UFO sightings for Air Force Intelligence.  His experience was that the overwhelming majority of reports reflected a lot of wide-eyed overcredulity or deliberate misrepresentation and that the few cases that warranted investigation came down to misperceptions of commonplace events or US projects trying to maintain some secrecy.
    • My father expressed his frustration with his commanding officer- an AIr Force colonel who was the most fanatical true believer in aliens within the task force and who commonly suppressed conventional explanations and actively promoted kooky speculation.
      • I've heard similar reports about several generations of Air Force UFO teams- competent investigators led by exceedingly biased and irrational commanders.  I suspect that this model is deliberately pursued to achieve a desired result- accurate reports that are seldom publicized.
  • My outlook is similarly informed by my own investigations into the phenomenon of cattle mutilations which is outline in this debate
  • Newspaper coverage of UFOs has always leaned towards the woo side because UFO's sell papers and ordinary explanations do not.
    • Take a look at the 60 Minutes piece that kicked off the latest round of speculation- not a single skeptical opinion was brought in to counter all that speculation and anecdote.
      • The two tapes that included readings- altitude, angle of declination, speed, windspeed, etc were quickly debunked by a few skeptics doing some basic trigonometry to show that the objects depicted were much closer the it appears, making the objects much smaller then assumed and in both cases, making the object's speed the same as estimated wind speed- these objects were floating on the wind- mylar weather balloons, most likely.
  • I think that the USFG learned as early as the 1950's that  there a few downsides to letting people think that there are mysterious enemy threats in the skies over America.
    • A sense of threat keeps citizens watchful and concerned
    • Interest and concern translates into public support for a bolstored Air Force and military generally,
      • which translates into budget increases without needing a lot of justification
  • So yes, I think there is a conspiracy but that its mostly just to keep Americans worried about potent, mysterious outsiders which allows US Armed Forces to play sentinel and shield versus an invisible (and therefore inexpensive and easy to defeat) enemy.

RationalMadman
Debates: 561
RationalMadman

There is a real Illuminati. You can believe as you want.
Stephen
Debates: 0
Stephen
-->
@Reece101
Are UFO’s a Government Conspiracy?

For decades my thoughts  have always been that, would we know if they weren't our own to camouflage those that come from outside?  And as already been mentioned, UFO means nothing more that something flying that hasn't or cannot  be identified. 
 I see no reason, Reece , that life shouldn't exist anywhere else out there. 
oromagi
Debates: 117
oromagi
ABC:

UPCOMING UFO REPORT to CONGRESS CREATING LOTS of BUZZ
CONGRESS WILL RECEIVE an INTELLIGENCE REPORT on UFOs in LATE JUNE

Later this month, U.S. intelligence agencies will present to Congress a highly-anticipated unclassified report about what they know about UFOs, or as the Pentagon now calls them, Unexplained Aerial Phenomena (UAPs).

However, the jury is still out on whether the report will contain the answers that UFO enthusiasts are looking for: that recent military encounters with UAPs may be proof of contacts with extraterrestrial life.

The preparation of the report marks a milestone as interest in UFOs has taken off in recent years following the Navy's release of once-classified videos of encounters that fighter pilots had in 2004 and 2014 with UAPs.

The videos raised interest not only with UFO enthusiasts, but also among members of Congress eager to learn if the UAPs captured in the videos represent advanced technological threats from foreign adversaries.

Florida GOP Sen. Marco Rubio, then-chairman of the Senate Select Committee on Intelligence, succeeded in including language in the Intelligence Authorization Act late in 2020 that required the intelligence community to prepare for the committee a detailed unclassified report on UAPs.
A spokesperson for Rubio told ABC News that the report is due to be submitted to Congress on June 29, which is the date that marks the 180-day deadline required by the legislation when it went into effect on Jan. 1.

"Men and women we have entrusted with the defense of our country are reporting encounters with unidentified aircraft with superior capabilities," Rubio said in a statement provided to ABC News. "We cannot allow the stigma of UFOs to keep us from seriously investigating this. The forthcoming report is one step in that process, but it will not be the last."

The report is being prepared by the Office of the Director of National Intelligence and the UAP Task Force, an organization stood up by the Pentagon last September to look at the U.S. military's encounters with UAPs.

"We're providing context and information that we have on these phenomena and our focus is on, again, on supporting the DNI's efforts to produce this report," John Kirby, the Pentagon's top spokesman, told reporters on Tuesday.

Though it will be an unclassified report, it is possible that its contents will not satisfy UFO enthusiasts anxious to learn if the encounters are contacts with extraterrestrials simply because it will be an intelligence report.

"The protection of methodologies is an important part of how the UAP Task Force operates," a Pentagon official told ABC News. "This is an intelligence-driven effort, and in intelligence matters, you always try to protect the sources and methods used in order to prevent potential adversaries from getting an idea of how we learn things."

And the report will rely on more than just eyewitness recollections of their encounters, it will be focused on the data collected by the highly sensitive sensors used by the U.S. military to detect adversaries.

"This is a data-driven examination of UAPs," the Pentagon official told ABC News. "The more data we have, the better we are able to identify what these UAPs are."

For scientists, the report's focus on data is key to helping determine what is happening in the videos.

"Those derived data products, right, they can give us trajectories, they have any way of getting ideas of like masses and densities," Dr. Hakeem Oluseyi, an affiliated professor of physics and astronomy at George Mason University, told ABC News.

"So if you can figure out where they are in 3-D space and figure out where they are, how they are maneuvering and if you can figure out their mass and figure out the forces that are involved, then that can give you some hints at the technology that you're looking at there," he added.

"The fact that you see something, and is doing something that you don't understand, doesn't mean oh, let's jump to a wild conclusion, it means let's get the data that we can, let's put it all together and let's get an understanding of what we're dealing with, because either it's ours, or it's not ours," said Oluseyi. "And if it's not ours, then we need to really understand what's going on."

Whether the report is able to offer up those answers remains to be seen, but for some UFO enthusiasts, what matters most is that the report is a reality.

"The fact that the report even exists or is going to exist is the biggest thing for me," Jeremy Corbell, a documentary filmmaker and UFO enthusiast, said in an interview.

Recently, Corbell has released new videos that the Pentagon has confirmed were taken by the Navy and are being reviewed by the UAP Task Force as part of its investigation.

"I think it's a huge step forward to the general confirmation of the existence of these physical machines that do fly with impunity, within our restricted airspace," he said. "This is not a subject of question. This is not a subject of doubt, our public has been told and proof has been given, and that's not coming just from people like me, that's coming from our own government."

"So the fact this report is existing shows that representative government works, that Congress and Senate and Senate Intelligence Committee and everybody involved. These mechanisms are proceeding forward with getting answers for the American public," Corbell said.

While Corbell does not expect the intelligence report to be "robust" in acknowledging a potential UFO cover-up, he also does not expect it to be "a whitewash" and will validate what Navy pilots witnessed in their encounters.

"It's going to at least pay homage to that and say we need more understanding of this, and that is a huge step forward," he said.

"If it goes further, I'm a happy camper," he said. "But I think it's going to be a preliminary confirmation to the American and global public about the UFO presence on planet Earth. And I feel like this subject will require more investigation and more transparency."

A national security analyst agrees the UAP's require further investigation but out of concerns that they might indicate new technologies that could pose potential security risks.

"These objects appear to exceed our military capabilities," said Mick Mulroy, an ABC News contributor and a former deputy assistant secretary of defense. ""We need to determine who this is and what capabilities they possess. It is never a good thing to discover you are vastly behind in technology."

"From a national security perspective, we cannot presume benevolence," he added. "Whether terrestrial in origin or not."