the benefits of banning assault rifles outweigh the costs

Author: n8nrgmi ,

Total: 90
fauxlaw
Debates: 64
fauxlaw
Is there a definitive definition of what constitutes an assault rifle such that such could be addressed?
badger
Debates: 0
badger
--> @fauxlaw
noun

1. 1.
    a colourless, transparent, odourless liquid that forms the seas, lakes, rivers, and rain and is the basis of the fluids of living organisms.

Fruit_Inspector
Debates: 17
Fruit_Inspector
--> @n8nrgmi
The lack of a specific historical record that you say is the only valid form of evidence is not a valid argument to say that your position is true. It just means that we do not have the specific historical record you are asking for. And if nothing short of a historical record where the founding fathers had to make a specific statement that you determined is the only form of valid evidence, then I already stated we are wasting our time. I also said I would let your argument stand on its own without contesting and let others judge it's merit and that's what I intend to do.
Fruit_Inspector
Debates: 17
Fruit_Inspector
--> @badger
Yes I did. If the militia is responsible for defense of the state/nation/etc, I would rather have men be the ones exposed to that violence than women. To be explicit, I would reject your suggestion that women be combatants while men stay home. But each woman (not part of any formal combatant force) should also have the right to a firearm for self-defense.
badger
badger
--> @Fruit_Inspector
Ah, my apologies. I underestimated your profound respect for women. But kids can get shot up and women should be ready for a fire-fight anyway. And the same kooky doomsday prepper bullshit. I got you. 
ebuc
ebuc
--> @n8nrgmi
N8g, you dont really expect rational, logical common sense from those on other side who believe it is a God given right, via man-made law, that, every human on planet has a right to all assulat weapons ---ex AR-15--- and even much worse weapons of mass-destruction { lill masses of people in short time } and especially so the more of these guns fired round the planet as same time ione location where there is mass of people.

The gun nuts are mostly paranoids ---and sometimes for good reason---   whose religious fanaticism { God given right to man-made liberty law }.

They are a cult that is no differrent from so many religious fanaatics.  They believe peace on Earth ---not survival of humanity--   is defined by how many firearm  [piece } each human on Earth can aquie and pass on to their off-spring.

End-date-for-humanity 2232.  These gun nuts and others is why the is my prognostication for humanity. So, humanity is going out, and they agree, then they wan to go out guns blazing, and that includes hydrogen bombs.  Humans are basically barbarians ---butt forward into the future--  and so many are proud of it.

TheUnderdog
TheUnderdog
--> @zedvictor4
See post 3.
Greyparrot
Debates: 2
Greyparrot
--> @badger
Meanwhile your kids are bringing assault rifles to school and blowing each other away. 

I don't know why anyone enters earnest discussion with this shit. 
That's actually not what usually happens. Most of the unreported school shootings involve black kids, gangs, and handguns. Most of the handguns used are the same kinds of handguns the military uses, but we don't call them "military grade"

I can source all this out for you if you need proof.

All the media focus on some obscure scary looking gun of the day is just a deflection from the real problems to avoid accountability for bad policies that encourage decades-old chronic handgun deaths at schools. Nothing is really going to change and maybe it shouldn't. Maybe America is a better nation for allowing massive amounts of handgun violence. Who am I to argue otherwise?

just for fun, here is a very recent mass shooting carried out with just military grade handguns.

God Bless America!
badger
badger
--> @Greyparrot
Handguns should be banned too. The kids shooting each other shit is much more obscene though. If you guys can sort that, shoot each other away tbh. Be like a western, I'll watch on. 
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
--> @badger
The kids shooting each other shit is much more obscene though. If you guys can sort that, shoot each other away tbh. Be like a western, I'll watch on. 

Most of the kids are actually shot full of holes in drive-bys and turf war crossfire. Even the wild west was actually far less deadly than today, especially for the kids.

Gun fights were actually very uncommon historically in the Wild West. While many men carried guns for self defense rarely were men shooting at each other in the middle of the street like Hollywood portrays. Even notable legends like Wyatt Earp and Doc Holiday had very few shootouts. A list of gunfights for the approximately 70 years of the “Old West" would be a very short one if you took the time to source it all out.

Most men carried guns for protections from animals and potential Indian attacks which were also not that frequent. And indeed many men did not carry guns at all, certainly not handguns, they usually kept rifles handy though.

While the idea of all men carrying a Colt and ready to shoot someone at a moments notice... that is Hollywood's creation, it is not a depiction of real life. Reality is, as usual, a lot different than Hollywood and their fantasies.

The Wild west was actually WAY less dangerous than today with rifle ownership rates far exceeding handgun ownership rates. Today, it's exactly the opposite. Most guns today are handguns, and that is where almost all of the gun deaths originate. And the rifle is always given the blame for handgun deaths somehow. Every time.

If only America could have been as safe as it was 150 years ago.
FLRW
FLRW
--> @Greyparrot
The Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting occurred on December 14, 2012, in Newtown, Connecticut, United States, when 20-year-old Adam Lanza shot and killed 26 people, including 20 children between six and seven years old, and six adult staff members.  Adam used a  Bushmaster XM15-E2S rifle.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
--> @FLRW
That's typical whataboutism. Using extreme isolated examples from 10 years ago to justify the norm that is the mass daily slaughter of black kids in schools with handguns.

Whatever, maybe America deserves to lose its Black kids to handguns in schools. It's not like people actually care about anything anymore. Not really.
fauxlaw
Debates: 64
fauxlaw
--> @badger
Yeah, water that is processed through all living organisms...
bmdrocks21
Debates: 6
bmdrocks21
--> @Greyparrot
Whatever, maybe America deserves to lose its Black kids to handguns in schools. It's not like people actually care about anything anymore. Not really
Only in election years and during February!
zedvictor4
Debates: 15
zedvictor4
--> @TheUnderdog
For sure.

Get a statistician to create a sheet of statistics.

A statistician could make the holocaust appear reasonable.

And they who pay the statistician, gets the favourable statistics.

Nonetheless owning a gun is reliant upon an individuals sensibilities....And fortunately most people are usually sensible.....Though the weapons effect, is shown to  stimulate an altered and  heightened response, liable to evoke irrational behaviour.

Of course and as ever, the bottom line is....If you point a gun at someone and pull the trigger the outcome is likely to be messy.

Like the little kid in the car with his Mom.

TheUnderdog
TheUnderdog
--> @zedvictor4
A statistician could make the holocaust appear reasonable.
I don’t know how a statistician could make this happen.  But if background checks and banning assault weapons don’t reduce the homicide rate, what is the point of their existence?

The rest of your post doesn’t make sense.
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
--> @TheUnderdog
Well the rest of my post would make sense if understood the data.....You have the font of all knowledge at your finger tips, so read and understand.

And statisticians are employed to provide statistical data to back up arguments.....Consequently there are two sets of statistics for any argument , and you believe which ever set suits.

And background checks and banning assault weapons won't necessarily reduce the homicide rate......Other weapons are available,

Doesn't alter the fact that all guns are inherently dangerous....That was the whole point of guns.

TheUnderdog
TheUnderdog
--> @zedvictor4
Doesn't alter the fact that all guns are inherently dangerous....That was the whole point of guns.
Guns are dangerous, but dangerous things shouldn't be banned.  Driving at any speed is dangerous and making the speed limit on highways and roads only 4 kph would save over 30,000 lives per year.  But we shouldn't do this because freedom is a legitimate trade off.
dustryder
Debates: 5
dustryder
--> @TheUnderdog
So why shouldn't society do away with speed limits entirely?
TheUnderdog
TheUnderdog
--> @dustryder
I think the US should copy Germany and have no speed limits.  Germany doesn't have a very huge accident rate, and this will be even more true with self driving cars.
dustryder
dustryder
--> @TheUnderdog
Germany in general does have speed limits. You're thinking of the autobahn, but even then, speed limits are enforced for about 30% of the sections.
TheUnderdog
TheUnderdog
--> @dustryder
On the majority of the Autobahn, there is no speed limit and on the parts of the Autobahn where there is a speed limit, it is very high.  Many people use the Autobahn and it doesn't produce that many accidents.  I think if there was no speed limit on roads, there wouldn't be that many more accidents and we are more free.

The left loves to talk about copying Europe (why they advocate for UHC and free college).  Whether these ideas are good is a different topic, but one way to copy Europe is to have faster speed limits.

America is supposed to be land of the free, and abolishing speed limits is a natural extension of this freedom.
dustryder
dustryder
--> @TheUnderdog
To be clear, Germany's roads are not only comprised of autobahns. For urban areas, a speed limit still applies and as far as I understand it, was put in place because of automotive accidents.

This isn't anything new. Faster speed limits result in increased incidences of accidents as well as more severe injuries, while the opposite is true for the reverse.

But despite this, you are for abolishing speed limits?
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
--> @TheUnderdog
What does any civilian actually need an assault rifle for?

Other than for big kids to dress up and  play war in the woods with.
TheUnderdog
TheUnderdog
--> @dustryder
Faster speed limits result in increased incidences of accidents as well as more severe injuries, while the opposite is true for the reverse.

But despite this, you are for abolishing speed limits?
Faster speed limits result in increased incidences of accidents as well as more severe injuries, but the right to go fast is a trade off.

I am for abolishing speed limits in the US or at least making them much faster.  Communist nanny state China has faster speed limits than America, and I think this is ridiculous.  America is land of the free, so we should have the highest speed limits or we should be the ones that have no speed limits at all.  The germans like their mostly speedlimitless autobahn.