Private forum topics

Author: DebateArt.com

Total: 70
DebateArt.com
Debates: 0
DebateArt.com
I am wondering if it would a handy thing to have private forum topics? By private, I mean that only users, invited by the creator of the topic, would have access to it and I guess they wouldn't be moderated either, since neither the mods nor I would have an access to them, that is, if we're not invited.

What do you think?
Castin
Castin
-->
@DebateArt.com
I'd rather have group private chats. If it's a conversation I'm not allowed in, I'd rather not see it at all. It's their business and doesn't concern me. If there were private topics in the forums, to everyone who's excluded it's basically just a sign that says "this is our club, you're not invited".
DebateArt.com
DebateArt.com
-->
@Castin
The private topics would be hidden from those not invited, you wouldn't even know that they exist.  Regarding the group private chats, I will definitely implement them :)
Castin
Castin
-->
@DebateArt.com
It wasn't specified in the OP and I didn't want to make assumptions. If they're invisible to the uninvited I see no problem. Might be neat.
DebateArt.com
DebateArt.com
-->
@Castin
Yeah, my apologies, I should have mentioned it. 
Earth
Debates: 4
Earth
Sounds interesting. Maybe could be used for mafia I suppose.
Mopac
Mopac
It would be bice for Christians to get together and talk without being harassed by the godless pagans, gnostic heretics, and wing nuts.

DebateArt.com
DebateArt.com
-->
@Earth
@Mopac
Awesome, those sound like good reasons.

Also considering the popularity of the religion forum, we may consider to change the name of the website to DebateGod.com haha
RationalMadman
Debates: 556
RationalMadman
-->
@Mopac
Pagans are not godless.
keithprosser
keithprosser
They already exist - its just that you've never been invited to one.

Castin
Castin
-->
@Mopac
I find theist-to-theist discussions interesting but don't get to read them very often because atheists come in the thread and turn it into a theist/atheist battle. It would be a bummer if there were private topics that were free of that problem but I still didn't get to read them. 🙁

But it's not a big deal, and I really understand why theists would want such a thread to exclude atheists like myself. Sometimes you just want the other side to fuck off. More than "sometimes" in the case of our religion forum, I'm guessing.
Castin
Castin
-->
@DebateArt.com
Also considering the popularity of the religion forum, we may consider to change the name of the website to DebateGod.com haha
I can hear the religion forum haters cringing at the very idea. Lulz.

Mopac
Mopac
-->
@Castin
I wouldn't isolate myself from the non Christians, that defeats the point of me being here.

See, bible studies are impossible on the religion forum because it will inevitably turn into a topic about the validity of the bible.

The point would be so that Christians can get their theology in order, maybe help eachother be more effective in the common forum.

Instead of you know, it all being drowned out by those with strife on their agenda.

Make sense?

Mopac
Mopac
-->
@RationalMadman
No one is truly godless.

ethang5
Debates: 1
ethang5
-->
@DebateArt.com
1. Would the forum creator be able to boot out someone previously invited?

2. If someone exhibited really bad behavior in a private forum, would that be reportable to a mod?
DebateArt.com
DebateArt.com
-->
@ethang5
Well, to be honest, I haven't given it a lot of thought since it was just a random idea but I'd imagine those being self moderated, so if somebody misbehaves, it's the creator's responsibility to kick him out. 
Castin
Castin
-->
@Mopac
I wouldn't isolate myself from the non Christians, that defeats the point of me being here.

See, bible studies are impossible on the religion forum because it will inevitably turn into a topic about the validity of the bible.

The point would be so that Christians can get their theology in order, maybe help eachother be more effective in the common forum.

Instead of you know, it all being drowned out by those with strife on their agenda.

Make sense?
Yes, as it's pretty much what I said.

And I wasn't suggesting that you would isolate yourself from non-Christians.
Castin
Castin
-->
@DebateArt.com
Well, to be honest, I haven't given it a lot of thought since it was just a random idea but I'd imagine those being self moderated, so if somebody misbehaves, it's the creator's responsibility to kick him out. 
You would grant the thread author that power?

DebateArt.com
DebateArt.com
-->
@Castin
I am not sure how to go about it, I'd need to think about it, as I mentioned that's just a random idea. I am open to suggestions though :)
RationalMadman
Debates: 556
RationalMadman
-->
@DebateArt.com
Can just imagine the likes of goldtop making a private community to whine and abuse me realising can't read it and crying that they can't bully and get away with it even then.
Castin
Castin
-->
@DebateArt.com
I think that would be pretty cool. But I guess it could potentially stir up drama and clique wars.
ethang5
Debates: 1
ethang5
-->
@DebateArt.com
It's a good idea. Look into it and let us know what you find.

Castin
Castin
-->
@RationalMadman
Can just imagine the likes of goldtop making a private community to whine and abuse me realising can't read it and crying that they can't bully and get away with it even then.
Yeah. If there are private topics, there's gonna be people in them talking about uninvited members. It's inevitable.
ResurgetExFavilla
ResurgetExFavilla
-->
@DebateArt.com
This is a really good idea. I think it also might be a good idea to let all people see the thread title and maybe a short description by the moderator, but not the content, so that they know that a discussion exists and can ask to join it if they're interested. It would give people a chance to escape from the stifling moderation atmosphere that's currently settled over the site, and allow each user to self-sort into their own level of comfort. It will also let normal members get some moderation experience, and allow some criticism of moderation. For example, I recently wanted to discuss a controversial deleted thread, and linked an archived page of that thread so that another member could see what was actually deleted, and that post was itself deleted. It's kind of Orwellian that we can't even talk about content that was deleted without our posts being censored, and I can definitely see a private thread being devoted to documenting oversteps and trying to hold moderation accountable.
David
Debates: 91
David
This would be really helpful for mafia purposes! It would also be good for mod business as well. 
bsh1
Debates: 14
bsh1
-->
@DebateArt.com
I think this is a great idea, with one suggestion. Private forums still shouldn't permit some actions (like doxxing). But I can imagine that virtually all of the COC could be suspended in those threads. What things shouldn't be allowed in those threads, and how will that be enforced?
DebateArt.com
DebateArt.com
-->
@ResurgetExFavilla
This is a really good idea. I think it also might be a good idea to let all people see the thread title and maybe a short description by the moderator, but not the content, so that they know that a discussion exists and can ask to join it if they're interested. It would give people a chance to escape from the stifling moderation atmosphere that's currently settled over the site, and allow each user to self-sort into their own level of comfort. It will also let normal members get some moderation experience, and allow some criticism of moderation. For example, I recently wanted to discuss a controversial deleted thread, and linked an archived page of that thread so that another member could see what was actually deleted, and that post was itself deleted. It's kind of Orwellian that we can't even talk about content that was deleted without our posts being censored, and I can definitely see a private thread being devoted to documenting oversteps and trying to hold moderation accountable.
It sounds like a good idea!

Just to be clear, it may be my fault, not the mods', since we have no means of deleting only the first post from the topics and therefore they might have had to delete the whole topic to achieve the goal. But yeah, I see your point and the private topics could solve some problems for sure. 

DebateArt.com
DebateArt.com
-->
@bsh1
I think this is a great idea, with one suggestion. Private forums still shouldn't permit some actions (like doxxing). But I can imagine that virtually all of the COC could be suspended in those threads. What things shouldn't be allowed in those threads, and how will that be enforced?
I have no idea yet, that's a tough question. 

Castin
Castin
-->
@ResurgetExFavilla
Idk. If the topic creator wanted me in there, wouldn't they have invited me?

It would be funny to see how personal it got though. Like imagine you're browsing threads and you see:

Topic title: ResurgetExFavilla is an asshole
Description: Anyone who is interested in bashing REF welcome, PM me for admittance. We will be discussing the various ways he is an asshole and the many levels he is an asshole on. No ResurgetExFavillas allowed.

Or like:

Topic title: Castin is a vapid clown bitch
Description: If you cannot understand why anyone likes the vapid clown bitch and think she's a grating attention seeking buffoon with no apparent redeeming characteristics, this thread is for you. Castin is allowed in, but in a read-only capacity. She needs to hear the truth, but we don't want to listen to her talk.
DebateArt.com
DebateArt.com
-->
@Castin
That also makes a valid point ...

Ugh, I don't know how to go about it.