If You Have a Random Thought, Post it Here.

Author: Reece101

Total: 1,055
drlebronski
Debates: 14
drlebronski
I FINALLY BEAT OROMAGI FOR MOST ACTIVE FORUM USERRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
ebuc
Debates: 0
ebuc
-->
@Lemming
..."until to 'finally the Republicans 'abandon the Trump train 'fully,"...

Uhh, Lemming, I think you out of the news loop.

Aug 3rd 2020..." For decades, the party [ republican] admitted that was in fact a failure and at least attempted to change. But now it has settled into a comfortable embrace of white grievance and Trump is running as the Yankee George Wallace.  
...Trump is proving my thesis"....

..."Republican Kevin McCarthy is leading his party to an inflection point, preparing to dump Rep. Liz Cheney from the No. 3 House leadership position and transform what’s left of the party of Lincoln more decisively into the party of Trump."....

All-for Trumpet and Trumpet-for-Trumpet, hi ho the derry oh, the merrily we will go...sung to some fantasy cartoon characters 
Lemming
Debates: 6
Lemming
-->
@ebuc
"I’ve found that ultimately candidates do what they most want to do. This is never truer than when a candidate and campaign are under stress. It’s a natural instinct, the same phenomena of when someone who is multilingual reverts to his native tongue when most angry."
Was the thesis, referred to by the writer, 'not,
"Aug 3rd 2020..." For decades, the party [ republican] admitted that was in fact a failure and at least attempted to change. But now it has settled into a comfortable embrace of white grievance and Trump is running as the Yankee George Wallace."  

"..."Republican Kevin McCarthy is leading his party to an inflection point, preparing to dump Rep. Liz Cheney from the No. 3 House leadership position and transform what’s left of the party of Lincoln more decisively into the party of Trump."...."
Yes, Trump 'still has a large pull with the Republican party, and I am not surprised.
My entire 'earlier post, was my describing my dislike of the Left, and 'how they went about opposing Trump.
Instead of trying to split the Republicans from Trump by guile, they attacked Trump in direct and objectionable manner.
Russian Conspiracies, claiming everything is fine at the border, we ought just let everyone in, always fixed on impeachment, the media dragging out every corpse and skeleton under then sun, and additional ones where there weren't any.
They sabotaged themselves, they're just lucky Trump met a natural disaster, and his 'own self sabotage.

Sure the election Trump wins was the most sabotaged election of all time, but Biden's win is swept under the rug, no questions asked, the 'most 'secure of all time.

Still, though I'm an Independent, I'd sooner vote for Trump, than Biden.
But I voted third party, for family reasons.
Lemming
Lemming
drlebronski
drlebronski
Foud this article about a guy getting mad at disney for being  "woke" https://www.orlandosentinel.com/opinion/guest-commentary/os-op-disney-wokeness-ruining-park-experience-20210423-y6i6ofah2bfzfcbauj4rdurjoy-story.html NOTE: it requires a stupid subsription so in order to skip the paywall just stop the page from loading before the paywall shows
Lemming
Lemming
I suppose I wouldn't mind some wars, police efforts by the USA government, if they were 'purely volunteer forces going.
I dislike it when we enter a war, or put boots on the ground, because it doesn't seem to me soldiers have much 'choice in going.

I know people join the military, and get placed like pawns, where the higher ups want.
But some 'unpopular wars, deployments, seem to me like they'd be 'less unpopular, if those deployed or dead were saying
"'Yes I 'want to be here, I think it's in America's interest, or the interest of what is 'right, that I am here. I am willing to risk my life for this cause, I 'asked to come here."

People get upset at war casualties for instance, but that's a bit I imagine, because one understands that soldiers more often do what they're told, than choosing causes in which they believe.

United Nations Peacekeeping, for example, 'maybe, 'sound volunteer like, though I don't really know much anything 'about the organization.
Lemming
Lemming
If religions are often just what people think reality 'is, a history of what 'was, and how people 'ought act, what's so dissimilar in atheist groups who believe in the same reality, history, and ethics?
Reece101
Debates: 1
Reece101
-->
@Lemming
I guess it comes down to nuance such as between consequentialism and Bernard Williams's view of integrity.

Is a lie inherently bad or does it depend on the circumstance? 

There are many things that are considered inherently bad/evil in the Abrahamic religions which leaves little room for understanding/knowing the importance of critical thought for devout believers.
drlebronski
drlebronski
If everything possible isnt it possible for something to be impossible???????!!!!!!!!!
Lemming
Lemming
-->
@Reece101
Do you mean,
Consequentialism vs Deontological ethics, concepts?
Of which I'm not very familiar, though I've 'heard of them.

I've 'heard of Kant, and Lying to the Murderer at the Door.
Though I don't remember the 'implications,
Of differentiating between something being inherently bad or depending on the circumstance.

I don't like lying for multiple reasons.
I don't like to lie out of habit, because I don't like the 'action of lying, I don't like lying because it often results in distrust, I don't like lying because I view it as a sign of weakness that I had to resort to lying.
But these reasons 'usually are not on my mind.
My actions in life, are more often spontaneous, while there is likely framework built up inside me, habits nurtured, thoughts realized and value placed, I don't 'realize all of them, when making decisions.
I don't like lying, for the aesthetic, of I like the 'look of not being a liar, more.
Humans are complicated, life is long, many switches are flicked, new data added, variables at odds with one another.
Motivations vary.

I like calling myself a nihilist, but one is still influenced by nature and nurture.
Their fleshy yearnings, their cultural reinforcements.
Though I doubt the 'objectivity of them, I was born into it, molded by it.

I'm not bothered myself, by values being considered inherently bad/evil in the Abrahamic religions.
Because I view a number of irreligious values, being considered inherently bad/evil by society.

Sure there's reason and logic, but it all depends on presuppositions.
Ah, but I'm rambling disjointedly.

Gist is,
I take much at face value, change a bit to suit myself and my ideas.
Religion or Atheistic Humanism,
A mix of consequence, and the ideals in themselves.

Though, I recall a number of Deities, put great faith in their oaths, words.
I recall old myths about Gods, Greek or Roman, I forget.
But how they would give their word, and some terrible situation would occur, by which they could not say no to, less they break their word, but their word, they would not break, and thus terrible situation occur.
Also Norse Gods, now that I think of it.
What the people appreciated at the times, I suppose.

Reece101
Reece101
-->
@Lemming
I think I confused the two. Bernard Williams's philosophy might still apply, but to a lesser degree. 

Lemming
Lemming
-->
@Reece101
There are many things that are considered inherently bad/evil in the Abrahamic religions which leaves little room for understanding/knowing the importance of critical thought for devout believers. - Reece101
Well, even religion, the religious disagree on issues, history, meaning of events.
There can be nuance I'd argue, and if times it becomes 'uncomfortable, the one's in influence 'insisting on their view. .
Does not one see the same picture in human government and society?
Religion need not be mentioned then, enough that a community insists upon a certain view of their countries history, or the evils of Communism/Capitalism.

Additionally, in a number of religions, I'd argue there's pieces included for the 'point, of critical thought.
Whether parables in the Bible, stories as Job, or King David and the man who steals a lamb.

Zen Buddhism's use of koans, to demonstrate the inadequacy of logical reasoning and to provoke enlightenment.

. . .

Course on the other hand, some devout believers might not take kindly to questioning and kritiks, to their faith, be it Theists, Atheists, Capitalists, Communists.

Blasphemy, degenerates of culture, society, and traitors, what.

I think I confused the two. Bernard Williams's philosophy might still apply, but to a lesser degree.  - Reece101
What is the gist, of Bernard Williams's view of integrity?

Reece101
Reece101
-->
@Lemming
Well, even religion, the religious disagree on issues, history, meaning of events.
There can be nuance I'd argue, and if times it becomes 'uncomfortable, the one's in influence 'insisting on their view. .
Does not one see the same picture in human government and society?
Religion need not be mentioned then, enough that a community insists upon a certain view of their countries history, or the evils of Communism/Capitalism.
It wholly depends on context whether talking about religion, politics, etc. No thought is above scrutiny.
If you want to challenge yourself, you’ll never want to leave that door shut.

Additionally, in a number of religions, I'd argue there's pieces included for the 'point, of critical thought.
Whether parables in the Bible, stories as Job, or King David and the man who steals a lamb.

Zen Buddhism's use of koans, to demonstrate the inadequacy of logical reasoning and to provoke enlightenment.
That’s one way to do it. 

Course on the other hand, some devout believers might not take kindly to questioning and kritiks, to their faith, be it Theists, Atheists, Capitalists, Communists.

Blasphemy, degenerates of culture, society, and traitors, what.
Signs of lacking ideological robustness. Though not quite sure what that “society” quip was about.

What is the gist, of Bernard Williams's view of integrity?
Essentially to be true to your predetermined beliefs from what I’ve read.
I consider it parallel to deontological ethics.

Lemming
Lemming
-->
@Reece101
When you say "predetermined beliefs", what does this mean?
Reece101
Reece101
-->
@Lemming
It relies less on circumstantial nuance and more on preconceived notions. 

Lemming
Lemming
-->
@Reece101
Do you mean preconceived notions of what an individuals,
Intuition tells them?
Cultural teachings and tradition?
Reece101
Reece101
-->
@Lemming
Pretty much. 

Lemming
Lemming
-->
@Reece101
Does Bernard Williams believe in questioning these "preconceived notions"

Somehow I'm reminded a 'bit of Authenticity,

Authenticity, philosophy, has a focus on the individual, I 'think.
As well as them being true to themselves and their beliefs, without acting in a manner they do not believe or not 'wish to do.

"Authenticity is a concept in psychology, existential psychiatry, existentialist philosophy and aesthetics. In existentialism, authenticity is the degree to which a person's actions are congruent with their beliefs and desires, despite external pressures to conformity."
Dr.Franklin
Debates: 32
Dr.Franklin
thinking about rhodesia...
Lemming
Lemming
-->
@Dr.Franklin
Why's that?
Some connection or piece of news on the internet?
Reece101
Reece101
-->
@Lemming
Does Bernard Williams believe in questioning these "preconceived notions"
I don’t know.

Somehow I'm reminded a 'bit of Authenticity,

Authenticity, philosophy, has a focus on the individual, I 'think.
As well as them being true to themselves and their beliefs, without acting in a manner they do not believe or not 'wish to do.

"Authenticity is a concept in psychology, existential psychiatry, existentialist philosophy and aesthetics. In existentialism, authenticity is the degree to which a person's actions are congruent with their beliefs and desires, despite external pressures to conformity."
It’s given me a lot to think about. Thank you. 
Dr.Franklin
Dr.Franklin
-->
@Lemming
i saw a meme on it earlier today, crazy how today the country is a dump but it was nice
Lemming
Lemming
-->
@Dr.Franklin
I've heard 'of the country, but don't know much.
I noticed a comment once, in a YouTube video,
That one I think, led to me Googling it.

From what I remember, it was, a partly white/controlled by white majority country.
That got involved in a war, that the UN or someone ruled against, so the white led government fell apart or something.
Ended up in the hands of leaders who led poorly, corruption or something?
Dr.Franklin
Dr.Franklin
-->
@Lemming
it was not an arthepeid state, yes the leader was white but the absolute majority wanted him. Ian smith was a great leader.

the majority of the security forces againt mugabe's communist evils were black, so it wasnt racial

Rhodesia was a great country ruined by mugabe
Lemming
Lemming
-->
@Dr.Franklin
Revolutions and changes in leadership, though they 'can improve a country,
But are also times of great danger, in which situations take a nosedive.

I've 'heard of Mugabe, but I'd have to do more reading to have a strong opinion.

"it was not an arthepeid state, yes the leader was white but the absolute majority wanted him. Ian smith was a great leader." - Dr.Franklin
I'll take your word for it, my glancing at Quora, seems people agree with you, and see a 'large difference in policy between Rhodesia and South Africa.
Dr.Franklin
Dr.Franklin
-->
@Lemming
yeah, rhodesia is just another example of revolutions ending up being horrible to the country at hand
Discipulus_Didicit
Debates: 9
Discipulus_Didicit
Ben Battle was a soldier bold and used to war's alarms, but a cannon-ball took off his legs so he laid down his arms.
sadolite
Debates: 0
sadolite
My own govt considers me the single greatest threat to humanity. Why even try anymore.
MarkWebberFan
Debates: 2
MarkWebberFan
Muslims have pretty much slapped "Palestine" as a brand. My parents were arguing about how Rohingya refugees are acting as parasites to their host countries. Wow, I guess it's really despicable of muslims to seek shelter in muslim-majority countries. Is that why palestinians can't move to other arab countries? Unlikely, i think muslims' fascination with Palestine is just a way for them to express their anti-semitism. 
MarkWebberFan
Debates: 2
MarkWebberFan
Do cockroaches experience peer pressure? They seem to go in single directions whenever I approach them.