3 things homelessness taught me

Author: Wylted

Total: 24
Wylted
Debates: 34
Wylted
I have been homeless for almost 2 months . I thought about things that could help homelessness a lot. I really want to help people in poverty. 

I'd be what you would call invisible homeless. I don't look homeless, I manage to either take showers at an rv park or at planet fitness. I keep my clothes clean. I don't drink or do drugs and I have a job. I had 2, but realized it was unsustainable because it left no time for anything else. 

Everything takes longer

If you have a home, laundry is a quick process, but for me it can take 6 to 8 hours. Everything takes longer when you have nothing. Even getting a bite to eat can be an all day process.  

I Learned to Relax

There is no entertainment except for my cellphone, but I am around vacationers in their RVs and camping. When I first saw them, it confused me how they can just stare at the water and relax. I honestly just learned about relaxation.

At first I pitied them, I thought they were just slowly letting their life waste away, but I thought "what if it is me who should be pitied ". So I made a conscious effort to do nothing. Just watch the water. 

I still don't quite get relaxing, but it is something I strive for and I feel.like it has made my entire life less stressful and helped me to live in the moment.

there is no cure for Homelessness 

Everywhere is hiring here, and will practically hire anyone who walks through the door, and although rent is ridiculous, nothing is stopping anyone from getting a job, getting a $50 business license and renting an office for $500 a month until they put back enough to get a stable home. 

Most of these people want to drink, panhandle and sleep in the woods. I don't understand it, but apparently homelessness is mostly a choice
RationalMadman
Debates: 555
RationalMadman
You've found Taoism despite acting in ways that defy it quite often. I'm happy for that.
Wylted
Wylted
I don't understand taoism. Effortless effort I heard it called, but it seems effortless effort would lead to a very unproductive life.

I get a feeling you really have to understand Japanese culture, around that time to truly understand taoism. I imagine there are unspoken things, that their books can not quite teach with words. 
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
How can you possibly have made the reverse error most ignoramuses make?

You have confused a Chinese thing for being Japanese.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
Effortless effort is part of it yes but what you described with staring at the water is something I also found interesting and helped me gain inner peace, I enjoy 'staring at the water' type things more than I used to, I was a very restless and unhappy guy before, now I'm still restless but I can enjoy stillness by paying attention to it in a rhythmic manner (letting the trickling water hypnotise me to an extent etc).
Theweakeredge
Debates: 33
Theweakeredge
-->
@Wylted
I'm sure you're also crippled and unable to walk, and gay, and unable to type well - your track record definitely allows us to take your word at face value. 
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Wylted
Depends upon climate.

Cold ain't relaxing.
Wylted
Wylted
-->
@zedvictor4
It's Florida
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Wylted
That's ok .

But just watch out for Gators then, when you're relaxing  by the water.
Wylted
Wylted
-->
@Theweakeredge
I'm sure you're also crippled and unable to walk, and gay, and unable to type well - your track record definitely allows us to take your word at face value

I can't blame you for not taking my word at being homeless.  It is something so hard to accomplish, that it would require a great deal of evidence for you to overcome your skepticism.  This is no different than if you were to claim being a big Hollywood director here 
Wylted
Wylted
-->
@zedvictor4
I did have one outside my tent a few weeks ago. Pretty scary stuff. I wouldn't have known but he was letting out a gator growl
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Wylted
Was probably wondering how to get the wrapper off the meaty treat.
Theweakeredge
Debates: 33
Theweakeredge
-->
@Wylted
Oh no, the homelessness thing, sure whatever, I don't care - I'm talking about your interpretation of what it takes to stay that way - that's clearly bullshit, and tells me you most likely aren't homeless - but that wasn't what i was initially skeptical about
Wylted
Wylted
-->
@Theweakeredge
 I'm talking about your interpretation of what it takes to stay that way
What specifically do you mean? I think I made a few statements about it. 

15 days later

Unpopular
Debates: 2
Unpopular
-->
@Wylted
I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Is it possible to rent a room where you live? It might cost you 250 a month, and sometimes the houses or buildings have laundry facilities and things like that. 

What has being homeless taught you, if anything about government? Charity? Survival? Faith? Money? Relationships? 

Some things I love to do to relax are fishing and reading outdoors. Fishing is very meditative, especially if it is quiet and especially if you are by yourself. I try to take in everything around me- the sounds, smells, the feel of everything on my skin. It helps you stay in the present moment. 
Wylted
Wylted
-->
@Unpopular
government? Charity? Survival? Faith? Money? Relationships? 

Just the importance of money. I don't use charities. Too many scum bags who want to stay where they are use it, and it would involve me being in their presence. 

I still distrust government no matter what. They always seem to hurt people they try to help.

The one thing that amazes me about charities and charability is that the ones who do the most work seem to be the ones helping homeless people to be dependentant know them. 

Today I saw a homeless guy in a plaza. He looked clean enough and could get a job, all the businesses in the plaza was hiring, and cars still stopped to give him money.

I seriously don't understand why somebody would be evil enough to give to these people and enable their addictions, nor do I understand why they would rather stand on a corner all day as opposed to just standing in the front of walmart all day and say hi to people. 

Their commitment to not getting a job is amazing. 
sadolite
Debates: 0
sadolite
-->
@Wylted
"I don't understand it, but apparently homelessness is mostly a choice" For 90% it is a choice, no responsibilities, no accountability no rules, do what ever when ever based on available money on hand. They choose homelessness because there is no freer life style. I was homeless and lived in my car for a month. Did the same shit you are doing basically until I saved enough to rent another place.  A person who truly does not want to be homeless will not be homeless for long. They will do what ever it takes and eat their pride.

Wylted
Wylted
-->
@sadolite
Yeah, I understand some people have mental illness or other issues but it's mostly optional. Housing prices in florida are extremely expensive so I had to get a shady salesperson job so I can be more in control of how much I make. Fortunately I am a natural and am immediately doing well selling. (Boiler room cold call stuff) . 

Unfortunately I am focusing 100% energy selling and not doing much else until I get on my feet

32 days later

dfss9788
Debates: 2
dfss9788
-->
@Wylted

Everything takes longer

If you have a home, laundry is a quick process, but for me it can take 6 to 8 hours. Everything takes longer when you have nothing. Even getting a bite to eat can be an all day process.  
I've been homeless before, sortof. I used to sleep in my car and keep things in a storage unit. There are things you can do to save time. Use a laundromat and multiple machines at once if you have multiple loads. It really doesn't take more than 2 hours if you have your timers going on your phone. You can also head over to the gym to shower after your laundry cycles start. Also find a spot with a gym, a library, a post office for your PO box, where you sleep, and the laundromat are all in close proximity. That way you don't have to spend so much time traveling from one place to the next.

Wylted
Wylted
-->
@dfss9788
great advice
ebuc
ebuc
-->
@RationalMadman
You have confused a Chinese thing for being Japanese.

That, and that it began with sea peoples of south east Asia thing, more specifically, which could include people from south east Asia, riding the Japenese current and eventually making their way to N. America. Fuller mentions that  one of the words for bottom of boat or canoe, is similar to roof of house in Japan.  I asked Japenese person about this and the said not so.

Well Fuller spent time in Japan, designing his floating 'Triton  City' for some Japanese if not other times for other reasons.

Or as Bucky Fuller states, when humans learned to sail into the wind, by tacking back-n-forth, they had begun to against God, and the go-with-flow, of  the winds of life carrying us where it may go.

RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@ebuc
Taoism began as a mainland China religion, not sure what you're going on about.
ebuc
ebuc
-->
@RationalMadman
...not sure what you're going on about....
Sorry, I used English words.  I can give you link to English dictionary to help you.
Wylted
Wylted
Rm, 

You are literally talking to somebody even crazier than us. Wierd that you block people like me who actually like you and like interacting with you and than tolerate these exchanges with people like that.