Should People That Disagree With me be Allowed to Vote?

Author: Discipulus_Didicit

Total: 46
Lemming
Debates: 6
Lemming
-->
@drlebronski
There's a blurry line between citizen, and ward of the state, often they're the same thing. Perhaps.

Let's say that an individual had incurable schizophrenia, or alzheimer's.
I would not consider them competent to vote either.
drlebronski
Debates: 14
drlebronski
-->
@Lemming
Why????
having a disease especially one you cant control shouldnt restrict your freedom to vote.
Lemming
Lemming
-->
@drlebronski
Do you think a baby in a cradle, unable to pronounce a word, ought have the right to vote in that instant in life?
drlebronski
drlebronski
-->
@Lemming
required age for voting is 18, no. 
people with schizophrenia can speak.
people with alzheimer's can speak.
Also do you think people with dementia should not be allowed to vote either? 

drlebronski
drlebronski
-->
@Lemming
also that would restrict 11.3% of people age 65 and older

More than 1 in 9 people (11.3%) age 65 and older has Alzheimer's disease. The percentage of people with Alzheimer's dementia increases with age: 5.3% of people age 65 to 74, 13.8% of people age 75 to 84, and 34.6% of people age 85 and older have Alzheimer's dementia

schizophrenia
 1.1 percent of the population or approximately 2.6 million adults in the United States aged 18 or older.
Lemming
Lemming
-->
@drlebronski
There is a reason 'other than the arbitrary age age 18,
18 is choses for 'blurry, but 'real reasoning,
And I think you know this.

By your logic, I should be able to contract individuals with schizophrenia, alzheimer's, dementia,
Buy their property, sell it out from under them,
If they are such individuals, capable of managing their affairs as coherent agents.
drlebronski
drlebronski
-->
@Lemming
By your logic, I should be able to contract individuals with schizophrenia, alzheimer's, dementia,
Buy their property, sell it out from under them,
If they are such individuals, capable of managing their affairs as coherent agents.
What logic?? the logic of not taking away a human right from people simply because they are mentally ill? 
this is ridiculous

voting rights are human rights
Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
-->
@Lemming
Voting age actually should be raised to the intelligence level of an 18 year old 100 years ago.

That's probably around 24 depending on the state since 18 year old's 100 years ago had about the same level of street smarts and common sense. 

According to this map voting age should still remain 18 in the light beige states.
Lemming
Lemming
-->
@Greyparrot
@drlebronski
So, you're 'fine with my buying the house of an individual with schizophrenia, alzheimer's, dementia,
And selling it out from under them,
As they are clearly (sarcasm) understanding the situation, and capable of making decisions,
No need for society to protect them from themselves and others?

Funny, though 100 years ago, 'more people might have lived 'with their parents, depending on culture.
drlebronski
drlebronski
-->
@Lemming
So, you're 'fine with my buying the house of an individual with schizophrenia, alzheimer's, dementia,
And selling it out from under them,
As they are clearly (sarcasm) understanding the situation, and capable of making decisions,
No need for society to protect them from themselves and others?
No??????? 
what are you talking about this completely separate from voting?

also 
The power of attorney document allows a person with dementia (called the principal) to name another individual (called an attorney-in-fact or agent), usually a spouse, domestic partner, trusted family member or friend, to make financial and other decisions when the person with dementia is no longer able.

The agent should be chosen carefully; it is recommended that this individual have a thorough conversation with the principal about what the responsibility entails. In addition, a successor agent or agents should be named in the event the original agent is unavailable or unwilling to serve.

Lemming
Lemming
-->
@drlebronski
Can't you see the connection between not having the right to sell their house, and no longer having the privilege to vote?
Do I next need explain why blind people lose the right to drive cars?
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@Lemming
Funny, though 100 years ago, 'more people might have lived 'with their parents, depending on culture.

Source? Maybe women but certainly not the men.
Lemming
Lemming
-->
@Greyparrot
I cede victory of the family living argument, to you,
Though I am not convinced of your point, myself.
drlebronski
drlebronski
-->
@TheUnderdog
6% is a big number (150,000 people)
regardless someone being in china , an enemy of the US doesn't mean they will hate america.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@Lemming
Men today aren't typically encouraged to leave and support a family, partly because it isn't feasible with the demands working hypergamous women have for men to provide substantially more than an independent working woman.

100 years ago, women were shamed if they didn't find a husband and leave the house by 30.

So today there's a substantial basement dwelling population that votes in lockstep with social media.
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Greyparrot
Well stated.