Spam Reporting and Anonymity

Author: bsh1

Total: 51
Wylted
Debates: 34
Wylted
-->
@bsh1
Virtuoso deserves to be lead moderator. I think he is more capable of not mixing his personal biases into decision making. I know you are a prideful person and you think him being superior in that respect is an insult to you personally, but you need to see past that. You need to do the right thing and allow virtuoso to be lead moderator. You're an excellent debater and mafia mod. You do a lot of things great, but moderating isn't one of them. I hope that you can put your pride aside and make a sobor minded and the correct decision here.
RationalMadman
Debates: 556
RationalMadman
-->
@bsh1
I like you and despise Wylted but I agree to what he is suggesting wholeheartedly.
Wylted
Wylted
I don't despise you Rational madman. Not that you care
bsh1
Debates: 14
bsh1
-->
@1harderthanyouthink
it's not on me to go fetch evidence
If you're going to accuse me of mishandling vote reports or impropriety, you do have an obligation to present evidence.

All I have to do is look at the reaction a member had to your unannounced change in policy
What unannounced change in policy? What member reaction?

Wylted
Wylted
Don't fall for it one harder. It will just be a never ending quest where he will keep moving the goal posts. I believe he is making every effort to be fair but it is clear he is too passionate of a person to do it.
David
Debates: 91
David
To be perfectly honest, I don't really want the job as head moderator. I have a tendency of being too quick sometimes. 
Wylted
Wylted
-->
@David
To be perfectly honest, I don't really want the job as head moderator. I have a tendency of being too quick sometimes.

Is this kind of self realization we need. Something BSH1 is incapable of doing. Nobody wants a king who wants to be king. We need somebody this modest as head moderator.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
To be clear, I support myself for head mod and would shock many of you in how i'd handle myself but I promise that I'll live up to my reputation in ways too.

Goldtop and Zeichen are getting instantly permabanned if I'm mod, so will Tyrone. Drafterman was a little bit of a prod, I'd not perma him.
David
Debates: 91
David
-->
@Wylted
Is this kind of self realization we need. Something BSH1 is incapable of doing. Nobody wants a king who wants to be king. We need somebody this modest as head moderator.

The thing is, wylted, I find that I rush judgement too much. As an example, if I were the head moderator I'd probably have deleted your debate long before Yeshua asked me to. The minute I step over the boundaries for you, you will all be calling for my head. 

I do think bsh has been more than fair 
Logical-Master
Debates: 6
Logical-Master
-->
@Wylted
I don't think we need a change in moderation. Just need less moderation. Hopefully, these discussions will result in just that. Mods need to keep in mind that we only need them for the purpose of keeping this site from becoming the living breathing hell hole DDO has become. Anything beyond that is just way too much micromanaging.
Wylted
Wylted
-->
@David
The minute I step over the boundaries for you, you will all be calling for my head. 

Bullshit. I disagreed with many of Airmax's decisions, even the one that forced me out of the presidency and never called for his head. Unpopular decisions come with the job. You can do the job and you are the best person for the job. Don't make a selfish decision not to step up to the plate.
Wylted
Wylted
-->
@Logical-Master
BSH1 is incapable of not micromanaging. RM is right that he would be good support for virtuoso. Everyone here right now with perhaps the exception of virtuoso (because of modesty), knows virtuoso should be lead moderator.
drafterman
drafterman
-->
@David
When he reported my DM with him to you because I "admitted I changed my views", he was lying. Is that "fair"?
Tyrone
Debates: 1
Tyrone
-->
@Logical-Master
I don't think we need a change in moderation. Just need less moderation. 
Unfortunately, that is never going to happen with this mod. You should vote to replace him: https://www.debateart.com/forum/topics/630

Vader
Debates: 30
Vader
-->
@bsh1
oh no no no this is not good bsh
Vader
Vader
-->
@bsh1
This is the policy that I disagree with. No no no. Everyone is entitled to privacy and permission. If an user wants to come out and say it's them to reported, it is their job. This is now gonna cause bias to some degree. I don't like this
bsh1
bsh1
-->
@Vader
The reason this thread exists is to discuss these issues.
Vader
Vader
-->
@bsh1
Yes, but the agenda behind it to some extent worries some people. Privacy is a key issue and some people would obviously not feel so comfortable for a total stranger to see who they reported when they don't like it. Even if the case can be made is that it prevents a system of "report bombing", I think with able programming and such, we would be able to remove that issue. This is an issue needed to be resolved with programming, not invading on privacy
bsh1
bsh1
-->
@Vader
Yes, but the agenda behind it to some extent worries some people. Privacy is a key issue and some people would obviously not feel so comfortable for a total stranger to see who they reported when they don't like it. 
Based on my history of comments on the issue, I am a big proponent of respecting users privacy. By putting this up to community discussion, the goal is to allow the community to decide what it wants, precisely to remove the issue of their being some kind of nefarious agenda.
drafterman
drafterman
-->
@bsh1
Based on my history of comments on the issue, I am a big proponent of respecting users privacy. By putting this up to community discussion, the goal is to allow the community to decide what it wants, precisely to remove the issue of their being some kind of nefarious agenda.
Proponents of user privacy don't wait until after the privacy has been violated to raise it for discussion. Even if you didn't know that Mike's change was going to remove anonymity, the response should have been to ask Mike to roll it back and then bring it to the community's attention yourself.

Instead, the mod team happily exploited that information and a user had to bring it to the attention of the community. You don't get brownie points for doing the right thing after you've fucked up and been called out on it.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
Actually you do get brownie points for doing the right thing after what you can't undo.