Is wikipedia a reliable source?

Author: drlebronski

Total: 31
drlebronski
Debates: 14
drlebronski
I think that its reliable for definitions don't know if its good for learning about events in history
Barney
Debates: 50
Barney
-->
@drlebronski
No, it is not.

It is however a decent place to go for preliminary research on most topics, to then use the reliable sources from which it draws.
fauxlaw
Debates: 77
fauxlaw
-->
@Barney
Yeah, what Ragnar said.
Dr.Franklin
Debates: 32
Dr.Franklin
its a good starting point
Intelligence_06
Debates: 167
Intelligence_06
It is a hub that will lead to more primary sources. Wiki is a secondary source and isn't as authentic.
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Barney
@Intelligence_06
No, it is not.

It is however a decent place to go.
Struck me as being a tad contradictory.

It is either reliable or it is not.

If it is not reliable, then it is not "a decent place to go".

Doc Franklin summed it up much better.

And any general compilation of information for reference use, is obviously going to be a secondary source. It's the nature of the beast, as it were.

Wiki is an excellent quick reference source.

And it amuses me that people knock it. 

A tad pretentiously, me thinks.

Barney
Barney
-->
@zedvictor4
There is no contradiction.

That something is not reliable for every single purpose, does not mean it is not a decent place to go for others.
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Barney
That's a completely different answer. 
Barney
Barney
-->
@zedvictor4
That problem rests with your reading comprehension skills.
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Barney
Or your honesty.
Barney
Barney
-->
@zedvictor4
If you're correct, then please explain the difference between "decent place to go" and "decent place to go"? As a reminder, you're the one insisting those are  "completely different" answers, and moreover that it's outright dishonest to say otherwise.

AKA, prove that A ≠ A. That is the task you assigned yourself when you insisted it was dishonest to claim that A = A.
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Barney
Is wikipedia a reliable source?

No it is not.

It is however a decent place to go.

Is it?.....No it isn't.....Yes it is.

Make your mind up.

Barney
Barney
-->
@zedvictor4
Please tell me you're just pretending to be this poorly educated? If not, here's a useful starter for you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFukHtFBNGY

Anyone who is not functionally illiterate reading post #2, would see negative to the topic question (as in no, it's not a reliable source to list in a debate or academic paper), with then expansions for something else to which it is useful (finding other sources which may prove be reliable).

That you cannot understand no to one thing but yes to something else, is seriously troubling.
drlebronski
drlebronski
-->
@Barney
Thank you for that youtube link it really helped me
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Barney
Please do not tell me that you're denying responsibility for the overt contradictions of #2.

Is the Pope a reliable Catholic. 

No he is not.

He is however a decent Catholic to go to for preliminary research into Catholicism, to then use as a reliable preliminary source of Catholicism, which he draws form a reliable source.

LOL.  If the decent preliminary source isn't reliable, then the reliable source is also unlikely to be reliable.

That you cannot understand that yes and no to the same question is contradictory, is troubling.

drlebronski
drlebronski
-->
@zedvictor4
I think what ragnar is saying is that you shouldn't go to wikipedia to become knowledgeable on a subject but it is good for getting a rough understanding of said subject or for definitions.
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@drlebronski
I think that is what Ragnar probably wishes they had said.

But it wasn't actually what they said....Far from it.

As Ragnar well knows.
Barney
Barney
-->
@zedvictor4
No, it is not.

It is however a decent place to go for preliminary research on most topics, to then use the reliable sources from which it draws.
And what you called "a completely different answer":
That something is not reliable for every single purpose, does not mean it is not a decent place to go for others.
I bolded direct shared words for you which you claim are "completely different." Of course you also declared it to be a lie that they have any similarities.

Everyone else here understood it easily. You even praised one for later paraphrasing it down to "its a good starting point" [sic].
Marauder
Debates: 1
Marauder
Not all debate criticisms against Wikipedia are valid though. If you use it to set the terms of your debate,  Your opponent should not have grounds for saying they should get the source point because you used Wikipedia and they didn't. 

Sources for a definition when your setting the terms of the debate are not sources being used to back up or support claims they are not part your arguments, they are merely the terms of the debate.  If I'm not going to write out what DNA is for debate where DNA is in the resolution but I don't care to write out a full scientific summery on it and Wikipedia's page seems adequate enough at defining what needs said about it when setting the terms of the debate, then Wikipedia should be considered as valid a source to use IN THAT CONTEXT as any other source, because round one definitions are not arguments or claims, they are the terms of the debate.

But yeah as a source for making claims or supporting arguments during the rest of the debate, Wikipedia and blog posts should be avoided if at all possible. Don't directly source them unless your prepared to spend time arguing why you are justifying Wikipedia as your source in this context.  For example "Falcom has a passionate fan base for the trails series" might be your resolution or the point your making to support some other resolution, and to prove the passion of the fan base, show the Wikipedia page to demonstrate the level of effort and detail fans have kept together for the Trails series  on Wikipedia. Suddenly even though Wikipedia is a secondary source to the facts you find collected together on it and is not reliable because its subject to heavy community editing and user mistakes, in the context of trying to make a point about the people who ARE using and editing Wikipedia, Wikipedia can become a relevant form of evidence in and of itself.
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Barney
It's a good starting point.
This was  Doc Franklins independent and singular assessment, so therefore not contradictory and  not a paraphrase.

No it is not.
Is an emphatic statement. 

Therefore a following statement that proposes that wikipedia is a decent place to go, undeniably contradicts the previous statement.

#2 is the post in question.

And bravo your loyal supporters....But they are just loyally supporting you....And loyal support cannot change the aforementioned contradiction.

The End.
Barney
Barney
-->
@zedvictor4
Therefore a following statement that proposes that wikipedia is a decent place to go, undeniably contradicts the previous statement.
A decent place to go for something else... As has been repeatedly explained to you. 

Seriously, are you 12 or younger? Your poor grasp of the English language, is strongly suggesting that.
RationalMadman
Debates: 563
RationalMadman
-->
@Barney
zedvictor is a user who does nothing else on this website than specifically misinterpret posts by others to troll and trigger them. You must be new to his trolling if you're reacting this strongly, I just block and move on.
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Barney
HaHa.

Ethanesque jibing changes nothing.
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
@RatMan

If only you could block and move on.

Go give Raggy a hug....And tell him that Uncle Zed is sorry for pointing out his glaring contradiction, and causing him so much anxiety.

I promise not to mention it again.

Raggy, Ratty, and the big contradiction. (Featuring the nasty Uncle Zed)

Could be the woke sequel to The Wind in the Willows.

And Ratty.....You do always have the option of ignoring me.

And you Raggy.

Give it a go.....Ignorance is bliss....Or so it is said.
fauxlaw
Debates: 77
fauxlaw
I take Wiki at its own word.

Caveat lector
Barney
Barney
-->
@RationalMadman
I admit due to having basically had to teach myself reading and writing, it saddens me when someone fails at it so miserably.
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Barney
Jibe.
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@drlebronski
Yes it is.

Wiki is the best online quick research tool.

Wylted
Debates: 34
Wylted
-->
@Barney
There was a study showing it was just as reliable as the encyclopedia brittainica. It's reliable for general information. Once you dig deeper you are relying on original sources anyway, so not sure why anyone would say it isn't reliable. 

Barney
Barney
-->
@Wylted
Once you dig deeper you are relying on original sources anyway, so not sure why anyone would say it isn't reliable. 
Hence, as I previously stated: "It is however a decent place to go for preliminary research on most topics, to then use the reliable sources from which it draws."