"Dirty Secret of Capitalism"

Author: ebuc

Total: 34
ebuc
Debates: 0
ebuc
they tell you the secret and more with first few minutes.

Dr.Franklin
Debates: 32
Dr.Franklin
what is it?

also looking at the profile of the speaker, he is a progressive
fauxlaw
Debates: 77
fauxlaw
-->
@ebuc
This is flat wrong, and you are wrong to complain, because the truly fascinating secret, and a secret that anyone can realize by the attempt, is that there are things anyone can do to get out of a rut of believing capitalism does nothing for them:

1. Capitalism isn't supposed to do anything for you. Not on its own. You must act first; not it.

2. The individual must abandon thinking working for money will bring wealth. Put it to work for you. See #1.

3. The individual must acquire ambition, planning, and execution. Repeat. Do #1, do #2.

4. Acquire not just wealth, but a continuous revenue stream by engaging #1, 2, and 3.

That's what your YouTube is really telling you. Or, you can think it's all against you and do nothing. Your choice to make. Making no choice, maintaining the status quo, is the definition of insanity. And poverty.
drlebronski
Debates: 14
drlebronski
-->
@fauxlaw
Quick question. How would one achieve great success in capitalism? Is it working hard?
Lemming
Debates: 6
Lemming
-->
@drlebronski
Work for someone else, save your money, invest your money, retire.
Invent something. (Item/service/system)
Start your own business. (If feasible/possible)

Though there may be problems with my vague idea of this.
fauxlaw
fauxlaw
-->
@drlebronski
Quick answer: already given: ambition, planning, execution. That is how one stops merely working for money and adding putting money to work for them. Stop buying toys on credit and invest in one's self. Then, the world of toys is open. One must have a goal of obtaining what I call airplane money. That is, earning enough to make enough to buy one, if that is one's wish. I'm not talking about a little one-engine Cessna.
Dr.Franklin
Dr.Franklin
-->
@fauxlaw
you have to admit that wages are lower, the workforce is larger than ever proportion to the society, and the inflation keeps going up?

at which point does it become so much of a problem where you have to take down large corporations who are also leftist?
fauxlaw
fauxlaw
-->
@Dr.Franklin
you have to admit that wages are lower
What do I have to admit? You're wrong, and the AWI demonstrates it. Sorry if you, personally, are not measuring up.  https://www.ssa.gov/oact/cola/AWI.html

the workforce is larger than ever proportion to the society,
Yes, the workforce is larger, thanks to Trump. That's a bad thing?

the inflation keeps going up?
Wrong, again, until SloJoe, at least, since he's spending like a drunken sailor. https://www.usinflationcalculator.com/inflation/current-inflation-rates/ 
Dr.Franklin
Dr.Franklin
-->
@fauxlaw
What do I have to admit? You're wrong, and the AWI demonstrates it. Sorry if you, personally, are not measuring up.  https://www.ssa.gov/oact/cola/AWI.html
raw data doesnt cut it- Americans cant afford the things they used to be able to with the same job anymore. one parent, the father usually, and a blue collar job was enough, not it definitely isnt.

Yes, the workforce is larger, thanks to Trump. That's a bad thing?
because of feminism, yes it is a bad thing, when women stayed home, men would be able to get more money

more workers=more costs for company, meaning each individual employee gets less, so if society was structured in a 1950's type nuclear family-there would be more wages

Wrong, again, until SloJoe, at least, since he's spending like a drunken sailor. https://www.usinflationcalculator.com/inflation/current-inflation-rates/ 

fauxlaw
fauxlaw
-->
@Dr.Franklin
I'm an ordinary American. my detailed complicated process [ambition, planning, execution] was taught to me by my Dad, another ordinary American. I put education at the top of my priorities as the first plan in my youth. I paid for my education with hard work, earning two PhDs. Every position I took increased my earning, and I increased within those positions, because I continued educating myself to prove my worth. I still do. I learned how to calculate my personal contribution to the bottom line, and could use that information to increase my salary. Who needs unions? Its so easy to learn, I taught my employees, who. then proved their worth to me. I didn't buy toys. I bought a house over 40 years ago, and subsequently three others and never sold the first, renting it out, until last year at a 1700% profit. I stopped working for the man 20 years ago, and I still work for me. I still don't have a lot of toys other people buy; I rent them. Works just fine. Not paying for them while not using them. I don 't buy a new car every three years. My current truck is 20 years old, still running fine, because I maintain it properly.  I learned to invest my money instead of spending it everywhere for everything. It's an ordinary process anyone can engage, but few do. It works. A pity more people don't know how easy it is. They're convinced they must work for money, and somehow, they're supposed to get rich that way. That's on them, entirely. If people cannot put their priorities in a proper order, that's somehow society's fault? Nope. They own it, themselves, and ought to accept the consequences, or do the right thing about it,  and stop mooching.
Dr.Franklin
Dr.Franklin
-->
@fauxlaw
fauxlaw, your a good guy and im happy for your career, but im not trying to address this on the individual level about success and other financial factors, and yes being rich is a choice and being poor is a choice, I believe in that too, but can we, as conservatives, ignore these facts?

The facts are:
  • wage stagnation is increasing
  • inflation has been rising for a long time
  • more debt
  • purchasing power of the US dollar is lowering
  • predatory hedge funds are destroying jobs in middle America
Do you really think that I'm just mooching? I'm certainly not complaining like a leftist about how "capitalism is unfair", or "equality" I'm simply showing that the economy is not what it used to be like, and it needs to change for society to be better.
Dr.Franklin
Dr.Franklin
-->
@fauxlaw
They're convinced they must work for money, and somehow, they're supposed to get rich that way. 
big agree on that one-work smarter, not harder
Discipulus_Didicit
Debates: 9
Discipulus_Didicit
-->
@Dr.Franklin
but can we, as conservatives, ignore these facts?
Don't be silly, of course you can.
Dr.Franklin
Dr.Franklin
-->
@Discipulus_Didicit
no we shouldnt, thats the point, most republicans are economically center anyways
fauxlaw
fauxlaw
-->
@Dr.Franklin
Well, all those issues are the predictable results of electing JoeBiden. Don't say I did have and offer sufficient warning. Not that I'm such a huge fan of Trump, but, economically, he was an effective president. A former successful business executive should have that knowledge, and Joe Biden, a career pol, may not even know who he is, anymore, let alone have econ saavy. Definitely not a step forward.
drlebronski
drlebronski
-->
@Dr.Franklin
based
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@drlebronski
Birth...Life...Death.

I think that the life bit is going to get a whole lot tougher, for a whole lot of people.

Especially if we keep producing them quicker than we get rid of them.

Evolution/material evolution and associated aspiration is the culprit, not capitalism per se.

Though capitalism might influence the rate of material evolution....But that's debateable.
ebuc
Debates: 0
ebuc
-->
@zedvictor4
Why not a global agreement to suspend all human pregnancy-births for one year?  Not that I know the math of how much that would reduce human rise rate.

How bout every other year for 10 years? 20 years etc. IMAGINE.

Dr.Franklin
Dr.Franklin
-->
@fauxlaw
Joe biden is part of it, but paul singer devastating small towns across america by buying up and forcing the sale of companies while big pharma pushes opioids down our throats, this has been happening for a while
Dr.Franklin
Dr.Franklin
-->
@drlebronski
a based man in a cringe place can make all the difference
fauxlaw
fauxlaw
-->
@Dr.Franklin
Paul Singer is worth about as much as Trump; a small-fry billionaire. I'm not even that, by a long shot, but I am prepared. So, Paul's buying up is not affecting everybody, and nobody who is, themselves, hedged reasonably well against inflation - anybody with enough wits to do what I did. I don't have a mortgage. I don't owe on any vehicle. I have food and supplies storage. I grow about 40% of my own food. Come on, stop whining because anybody can do this. It's called money management, building a revenue stream. I didn't use to have this stuff, but I made it a priority fifty years ago. I knew this idiocy would happen. How? I listened to my father. I listen to God. Yeah, the scriptures are full of warning, but they must be read and understood, then followed. I don't just believe in God as some distant figure who cares not a whit for me, personally. He cares because I do. I give 20% of my increase to charity, and also give my time. I read to children. I help neighbors with yard work and other stuff. I'm teaching to fish, so to speak. Those neighbors are at some distance because I live in a forest. But it's my time, isn't it? Look, stop running scared, complaining about the world around you. Take care of you and yours; you can then help others. That's the way it's supposed to work, Paul Singer or Joe Biden and inflation be damned. So things cost more than they did yesterday. Like I said, I don't buy a lot of stuff, anyway. He who has the most toys wins? Bullshyte. He who takes care of himself, then helps others wins. Every time, in the final analysis, which is nowhere  near finished being done, yet. You ain't seen nothin' yet. Keep watching... 
No, start making things happen. Anybody can watch and wonder...
Dr.Franklin
Dr.Franklin
-->
@fauxlaw

fauxlaw
fauxlaw
-->
@ebuc
Imagine an Earth so filled with resources, if only we would use them properly and without greed. It is, but we are not. There is enough and to spare if only we would stop being greedy about mine-mine-mine, and me-me-me. We don 't have a population problem. We have a resource management and distribution problem. The pity is, it doesn't have to be that way, but we're too dumb to realize that our resources can be managed and most are renewable if we gave them half a chance to do so. No, we must have it and consume now-now-now. That's plain stupid, but we'ere all addicted to consumption, and everyone else be damned. Wrong attitude.
fauxlaw
fauxlaw
-->
@Dr.Franklin
Like I said, stop whining. Why don't you make a town in Nebraska to compensate?
Dr.Franklin
Dr.Franklin
-->
@fauxlaw
fauxlaw, im not whining, i have a good future and I dont live in nebraska but when you see a predatory hedge fund go out of its way to destroy a small town, your response is "stop whining", really
drlebronski
drlebronski
-->
@fauxlaw
 what if one were born in crime ridden neighborhood with a bad school and barely any money? do they just deal with it?
 just save their money?
What if one got addicted to drugs? do they just stop doing it? 
What if one went to jail for doing drugs and now most jobs wont accept him? Does he just deal with it? save his money?  
What if one is born into a family that lives in their car?
Lemming
Debates: 6
Lemming
-->
@drlebronski
 Situations make certain outcomes likely, but they need not 'be.

Having awareness of oneself, motivation, can change a path.
But an individual 'still needs to come across that external 'cause of awareness or motivation, maybe.

Public libraries exist, organizations that will help a person develop in life, if they ask, information in the USA is more widespread than ever.

Saving money, budgeting 'would help a person's situation, I imagine.
Make it more possible to take time off, for online classes, or fund a move to another city.

Of drug addiction.
Alcohol Anonymous, and other such organizations 'do exist.
My family has reached out and pleaded with my 2nd brother to quit drugs,
But he has not the interest or motivation to change.

If he was willing to quit drugs, and get a job, we 'would help him, and it 'would be done.
But not everyone has family, or family that is willing to help, though some people 'can't be helped feels like, only help themselves.

I 'do believe America is a land of opportunity, where many safety nets exist, organizations, if people will but look.

But I think it 'certain, that I underestimate poverty, or climbing one's way up in society.
Perhaps I overestimate the sources of help, as well.

In any case, a person can't simply try, molded by their environment or genes, they 'won't feel motivation, until some internal change by time or the external occurs.
Maybe.

"You would do exactly as I do, if you were me"

fauxlaw
fauxlaw
-->
@drlebronski
what if one just avoided the mess to begin with by thinking about the consequences of personal choice, because that is exactly what it is. Don't tell me some people are forced in to drugs. By whom? By people who choose to associate with people who have clearly made that lifestyle choice. Bad choice to join them in the first place. Sooner, or later, their bad choice catches up to them because of peer pressure. They've already demonstrated a weak backbone of resistance. I had to go through that, myself, and realized I'd made a bade choice of association, and ended it before I succumbed to that peer pressure. I value my values more than I value would-be friends.
drlebronski
drlebronski
-->
@fauxlaw
what if one just avoided the mess to begin with by thinking about the consequences of personal choice
If your born into a crime ridden area where crime is the main thing you know you are more likely to become a criminal. Environment is a huge factor of whether you will become a criminal or not i'm not saying everyone in crime ridden areas are destined to become a criminal i'm saying they are more likely.
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@ebuc
When have you ever known the Globe to agree on anything.

Nope, the only real solution is a catastrophic event.