-->
@rosends
10/10
PGA2.0
Debates: 7
PGA2.0
-->
@rosends

What happened to the Levitical priesthood?

It still exists. Why do you ask?
Not as mandated by God. 

Show me where.

So what happened to the Old Covenant? You say you are still following it yet I see no indication that you are, as prescribed by the Law.

Then you simply don’t understand what was included in the covenant. It was right there in the Hebrew that you quoted, but since you are relying on a translation, you missed it. Sad.
Jesus accepted the Septuagint as Scripture. Every translation from Hebrew finds word equivalents. Even your own Hebrew language (the one you probably speak) was reconstructed from ancient texts. What are the dated earliest known Scriptures you have in written form (plus you have no autographs from the original writers)?   

From the link provided you can see the Septuagint has a remarkable record of preservation compared to the fragments believed from the 7C. BC. Your first complete translation of the Hebrew Bible only happens in the 2nd century AD. 

7th C. BC - Ketef Hinnom Scroll
(Hebrew)
In a tomb at Ketef Hinnom in Israel, the oldest text of the Hebrew Bible was discovered. The text, inscribed on a silver scroll in the old Hebrew script dating to the 7th Century B.C., is the Aaronic blessing (Numbers 6:24-26), which begins, "yeverekh'kha YHWH Vayishmarekha" (May Yahweh bless you and keep you)

4th C. BC - Septuagint
(Greek)
The Torah (the first five books of the Bible) are believed to have been translated in the 4th C. BC and is called the Septuagint (Also identified as LXX, the Roman numeral for 70). The remainder of the Hebrew Bible (the Prophets and the Writings) are believed to have been translated into Greek, and then included into the Septuagint, around the first century AD. Until the Dead Sea Scrolls the oldest existing complete Hebrew Bible was the Aleppo codex dating to around AD 930.

2nd C. BC - Nash Papyrus
(Hebrew)
Another very old fragment of the Hebrew Bible is the Nash Papyrus, discovered in Egypt in 1898. The fragment includes the Ten Commandments (Exodus 20:2-17) and the Sh'ma (Deuteronomy 5:6-21) and is dated to the 2nd Century B.C.

2nd C. AD - Peshitta
(Syriac Aramaic)
The Peshitta is an Aramaic translation of the entire Hebrew Bible that was written around the 2nd Century A.D. The Peshitta also includes an Aramaic New Testament that was written around the 5th Century A.D.

930 AD - Aleppo Codex
(Hebrew)
One of the Ben Asher Masoretic manuscripts; Source for the Hebrew University Bible; source for Maimonides Torah Scrolls; Portions of the codex destroyed in fire in 1948. Up until the discovery of the Dead Sea Scrolls, the oldest existing complete Hebrew Bible was the Aleppo codex. For centuries, this text has been the foundation for Jewish and Christian translators.

300 to 325 AD - Codex Vaticanus
(Greek)
This codex includes the Septuagint (Also identified as LXX, the Roman numberal for 70), a Greek translation of the Old Testament. It is believed that the Torah portion of the Septuagint was originally written around 250 BC and the prophets and the writings around the 1st century AD.

330 to 360 AD - Codex Sinaiticus
(Greek)
This codex includes the Septuagint (Greek translation of the Old Testament). It is believed that the Torah portion of the Septuagint was originally written around 250 BC and the prophets and the writings around the 1st century AD.

As a Christian I believe Jesus has met every righteous aspect of the Law, thus fulfilling it. The NT goes into depth regard this point.
As a Jew, I know the rules for “righteous” under Jewish law, and he ain’t it. Also, laws are not fulfilled, they are obeyed. And, of course, if your measuring rod is texts that hold not value or authority for me, then quoting them is worthless.
Again, nice assertion back up without one scintilla of evidence. 

No name Yeshua?
Nope none. There was a nickname of yay-shu-a with the stress on the first syllable. Is that how you pronounce the nickname of your God? This is really basic Hebrew. There is also a Hebrew word which can be transliterated as “y’shu-a” with the stress on the second syllable, but that isn’t a name. Which one did you mean?
My apology - Y'shua.

Yeshua or Y'shua (ישוע‎ with vowel pointing יֵשׁוּעַ‎ – Yēšūaʿ in Hebrew) was a common alternative form of the name יְהוֹשֻׁעַ‎ (Yəhōšūaʿ – Joshua) in later books of the Hebrew Bible and among Jews of the Second Temple period. The name corresponds to the Greek spelling Iesous (Ἰησοῦς), from which, through the Latin IESVS/Iesus, comes the English spelling Jesus.[1][2]

Take one example of what is applied to God in the OT as being applied to Jesus in the NT:
exactly – your “proof” is that the writers of later books took passages from the earlier books and applied them to someone else. By that logic, if I took passages and applied them to Harry Potter, you would say that there is “proof” that Harry Potter is identical with God. Silly, empty, illogical assertions on your part.
That is your contention, not mine. What was applied to God was applied to Jesus in the NT. That was my contention and I proved it through OT (the Hebrew Bible) and NT Scripture. My contention is they applied it to the rightful Person and you cannot dispute it with anything other than assertion to my knowledge. 

Nope. None of those listed are persuasive or conclusive as to the deity of Jesus. Only the OT and NT are because I recognize both as Holy Scripture.

and that’s how I feel about your gospels. Chuck in the same pile as the ones you reject.
Of course I realize that. I reject neither OT or NT. I contend there is quite the difference between Jewish traditions and Scripture. Jesus was very fast to critique those who held to tradition above God's word. Jesus had this to say of the Jewish religious leaders:

saying: “The scribes and the Pharisees have seated themselves in the chair of Moses.

“Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites, because you travel around on sea and land to make one proselyte; and when he becomes one, you make him twice as much a son of hell as yourselves.
“Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you clean the outside of the cup and of the dish, but inside they are full of robbery and self-indulgence.

“Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you are like whitewashed tombs which on the outside appear beautiful, but inside they are full of dead men’s bones and all uncleanness.

But he said to him, ‘If they do not listen to Moses and the Prophets, they will not be persuaded even if someone rises from the dead.’”

rosends
Debates: 0
rosends
-->
@PGA2.0
Not as mandated by God.
 Show me where.

In most any neighborhood where there are Jews. The Levitical priesthood (the “kohanic” system) still exists and there are a variety of laws mandated by God that we follow because of it, especially related to life cycle events (birth, marriage, death). You didn’t know this? You thought that the Levitical system was defined by and limited to sacrifices?

Jesus accepted the Septuagint as Scripture. Every translation from Hebrew finds word equivalents. Even your own Hebrew language (the one you probably speak) was reconstructed from ancient texts. What are the dated earliest known Scriptures you have in written form (plus you have no autographs from the original writers)?  

So your argument about my understanding the text is that I don’t because all I have is the written Torah scrolls that are the same in most every Jewish community, and the oral law which has been transmitted faithfully for thousands of years. If the extent of your argument is “you don’t even have the original, so nothing you say is authoritative” then have fun. You have even less than I have (and if you think that Jesus relied on a Greek translation and not the Hebrew, then you think very little of him).

Evidence that laws are not fulfilled? That’s a matter of English. Laws are obeyed.
Evidence that there are laws for righteousness in Jewish law? I can cite codes of Jewish law to show that Jesus’ behavior wouldn’t qualify as righteous. Would you like that? It is pretty straightforward.
Evidence that the gospels hold no authority for me (or for Jews)? What kind of evidence would you like? A signed declaration from a rabbi stating this? Because I’ll write one up and sign it. And, yes, I’m a rabbi.

Yeshua or Y'shua (ישוע‎ with vowel pointing יֵשׁוּעַ‎ – Yēšūaʿ in Hebrew)

That’s hilarious. If you read Hebrew, you would know that the English pronunciation doesn’t even match up to the Hebrew that is listed there. The nickname you listed is pronounced “yay-shu-a” with the stress on the first syllable. If you are going to use a nickname, at least pronounce it correctly.

My contention is they applied it to the rightful Person and you cannot dispute it with anything other than assertion to my knowledge.

Because your assertion that it was applied to the rightful person is based on your theological belief and nothing more. The Torah says X about God and a gospel writer applies X to Jesus. Since you believe in Jesus you say “hey, great job.” Anyone who doesn’t believe in Jesus says “um…no.” And when someone comes along and applies X to anyone else, believers say “hey, great job” and you say “um…no.”

I contend there is quite the difference between Jewish traditions and Scripture.

Yes, that is your assertion

Jesus was very fast to critique those who held to tradition above God's word.

But who cares? These quotes are from books that have no authority. If the Quran has quotes that show that Christians are wrong, does that mean anything to you?

PGA2.0
PGA2.0
-->
@rosends
Prophecy is a big topic.
yes, and very different from what you understand. The biblical notion of prophecy and prophet is not centered around “predictions”

Well, the Old Covenant people had a bad record of understanding their God. Your God called them stiff-necked people and the Hebrew testimony is one of them always going astray. The track record is not good. 

9And the Lord said to Moses: "I have seen this people and behold! they are a stiff necked people.
טוַיֹּ֥אמֶר יְהֹוָ֖ה אֶל־משֶׁ֑ה רָאִ֨יתִי֙ אֶת־הָעָ֣ם הַזֶּ֔ה וְהִנֵּ֥ה עַם־קְשֵׁה־עֹ֖רֶף הֽוּא:

5And the Lord said to Moses: "Say to the children of Israel: 'You are a stiff necked people; if I go up into your midst for one moment, I will destroy you; but now, leave off your finery, and I will know what to do to you.' " 
הוַיֹּ֨אמֶר יְהֹוָ֜ה אֶל־משֶׁ֗ה אֱמֹ֤ר אֶל־בְּנֵֽי־יִשְׂרָאֵל֙ אַתֶּ֣ם עַם־קְשֵׁה־עֹ֔רֶף רֶ֧גַע אֶחָ֛ד אֶֽעֱלֶ֥ה בְקִרְבְּךָ֖ וְכִלִּיתִ֑יךָ וְעַתָּ֗ה הוֹרֵ֤ד עֶדְיְךָ֙ מֵֽעָלֶ֔יךָ וְאֵֽדְעָ֖ה מָ֥ה אֶֽעֱשֶׂה־לָּֽךְ:  

13And the Lord spoke to me [further], saying, "I have seen this people, and, behold, it is a stiffnecked people.
יגוַיֹּ֥אמֶר יְהֹוָ֖ה אֵלַ֣י לֵאמֹ֑ר רָאִ֨יתִי֙ אֶת־הָעָ֣ם הַזֶּ֔ה וְהִנֵּ֥ה עַם־קְשֵׁה־עֹ֖רֶף הֽוּא:

27For I know your rebellious spirit and your stubbornness. Even while I am alive with you today you are rebelling against the Lord, and surely after my death!
כזכִּ֣י אָֽנֹכִ֤י יָדַ֨עְתִּי֙ אֶת־מֶרְיְךָ֔ וְאֶת־עָרְפְּךָ֖ הַקָּשֶׁ֑ה הֵ֣ן בְּעוֹדֶ֩נִּי֩ חַ֨י עִמָּכֶ֜ם הַיּ֗וֹם מַמְרִ֤ים הֱיִתֶם֙ עִם־יְהֹוָ֔ה וְאַ֖ף כִּי־אַֽחֲרֵ֥י מוֹתִֽי:

14But they did not heed, and they hardened their nape like the nape of their forefathers who did not believe in the Lord their God.
ידוְלֹ֖א שָׁמֵ֑עוּ וַיַּקְשׁ֚וּ אֶת־עָרְפָּם֙ כְּעֹ֣רֶף אֲבו‍ֹתָ֔ם אֲשֶׁר֙ לֹ֣א הֶאֱמִ֔ינוּ בַּֽיהֹוָ֖ה אֱלֹהֵיהֶֽם:

26Yet they hearkened not to Me nor did they incline their ear, but stiffened their necks; they did worse than their fathers.
כווְל֚וֹא שָֽׁמְעוּ֙ אֵלַ֔י וְלֹ֥א הִטּ֖וּ אֶת־אָזְנָ֑ם וַיַּקְשׁוּ֙ אֶת־עָרְפָּ֔ם הֵרֵ֖עוּ מֵֽאֲבוֹתָֽם:

Maybe it is you who does not recognize some Messianic prophecy?
ah, more of the “Jews don’t understand texts aimed at and given to Jews”. Thanks. Do the Russians often tell the Americans “you don’t understand the American constitution”? And quoting from “Corinthians”? Do you think that means anything to me?
The shoe fits the other way too, as evidenced by your very Hebrew Scriptures. So, it is not a question of me telling you but your very Scriptures telling you. 

Other elements, but what about the atonement for sin?
yes, that is covered as well.
Again, you assert it but supply no evidence. 

Do you offer burnt offerings in the prescribed manner?
How about meal offerings, sin offerings, trespass offerings, or peace offerings?
according to the text, I am not supposed to, so I follow the rules that the law lays down. You seem to be familiar with only a small set of rules. You quote all sorts of verses about the sacrificial system, but ignore some others (like rules indicating where and in what condition one is allowed to do those things, and what to do if the criteria cannot be met). You should learn more before you start asking these questions because they are already answered.
The whole point of the Messiah was that Israel could never live up to the "rules" laid down in the Law. And, as I pointed out, atonement was a necessary function for the people of God to be in right relationship with God according to that covenant. If you sinned unintentionally, you needed a sacrifice to atone for that sin. 

Here are some random facts:
According to Jewish law, atonement through sacrifice only covers a small section of sin
Nevertheless, it is required. 

According to Jewish law, atonement on the day of atonement happens without sacrifice at all
Two goats had to be offered, one sacrificed and the other released into the wilderness. Not only that, before these two goats the priest had to offer a sacrifice of a bull for his sins to cleanse the temple/tent of meeting.

Again, you make these broad statements without a shred of evidence so that nothing can be discussed further.  

According to Jewish law, sacrifices had to be given in the temple by people ritually pure.
Yes, another stipulation that can no longer be met.

The temple was destroyed and all people are in a state of impurity.
No doubt. The Law clearly states that an animal sacrifice was required by God. That no longer takes place. 

11For the soul of the flesh is in the blood, and I have therefore given it to you [to be placed] upon the altar, to atone for your souls. For it is the blood that atones for the soul.
 יאכִּי־נֶ֣פֶשׁ הַבָּשָׂר֘ בַּדָּ֣ם הִוא֒ וַֽאֲנִ֞י נְתַתִּ֤יו לָכֶם֙ עַל־הַמִּזְבֵּ֔חַ לְכַפֵּ֖ר עַל־נַפְשֹֽׁתֵיכֶ֑ם כִּֽי־הַדָּ֥ם ה֖וּא בַּנֶּ֥פֶשׁ יְכַפֵּֽר:

NO LONGER DONE. NO LONGER CAN BE DONE.

Thus, they are not meeting the requirements of God, nor can they. That is the reason a better sacrifice was always planned by God.

It was necessary, then, for the copies of the heavenly things to be purified with these sacrifices, but the heavenly things themselves with better sacrifices than these.

According to Jewish law, there is a verse which says what we can do instead of sacrifices in this situation.

Do you know that verse?
Are you referring to such verses as Hosea 6:6

6For I desire loving-kindness, and not sacrifices, and knowledge of God more than burnt offerings.
וכִּ֛י חֶ֥סֶד חָפַ֖צְתִּי וְלֹא־זָ֑בַח וְדַ֥עַת אֱלֹהִ֖ים מֵֽעֹלֽוֹת:

Yes, God does, but how do you think you meet that requirement? Hence, the need for the Saviour, the Messiah! Please pay very close attention to the underlined below:

Yeshayahu - Isaiah - Chapter 53
3Despised and rejected by men, a man of pains and accustomed to illness, and as one who hides his face from us, despised and we held him of no account.
גנִבְזֶה֙ וַֽחֲדַ֣ל אִישִׁ֔ים אִ֥ישׁ מַכְאֹב֖וֹת וִיד֣וּעַ חֹ֑לִי וּכְמַסְתֵּ֚ר פָּנִים֙ מִמֶּ֔נּוּ נִבְזֶ֖ה וְלֹ֥א חֲשַׁבְנֻֽהוּ:

4Indeed, he bore our illnesses, and our pains-he carried them, yet we accounted him as plagued, smitten by God and oppressed
דאָכֵ֚ן חֳלָיֵ֙נוּ֙ ה֣וּא נָשָׂ֔א וּמַכְאֹבֵ֖ינוּ סְבָלָ֑ם וַֽאֲנַ֣חְנוּ חֲשַׁבְנֻ֔הוּ נָג֛וּעַ מֻכֵּ֥ה אֱלֹהִ֖ים וּמְעֻנֶּֽה:

5But he was pained because of our transgressions, crushed because of our iniquities; the chastisement of our welfare was upon him, and with his wound we were healed. 
הוְהוּא֙ מְחֹלָ֣ל מִפְּשָׁעֵ֔נוּ מְדֻכָּ֖א מֵֽעֲוֹֽנוֹתֵ֑ינוּ מוּסַ֚ר שְׁלוֹמֵ֙נוּ֙ עָלָ֔יו וּבַֽחֲבֻֽרָת֖וֹ נִרְפָּא־לָֽנוּ:

6We all went astray like sheep, we have turned, each one on his way, and the Lord accepted his prayers for the iniquity of all of us
וכֻּלָּ֙נוּ֙ כַּצֹּ֣אן תָּעִ֔ינוּ אִ֥ישׁ לְדַרְכּ֖וֹ פָּנִ֑ינוּ וַֽיהֹוָה֙ הִפְגִּ֣יעַ בּ֔וֹ אֵ֖ת עֲו‍ֹ֥ן כֻּלָּֽנוּ:

7He was oppressed, and he was afflicted, yet he would not open his mouth; like a lamb to the slaughter he would be brought, and like a ewe that is mute before her shearers, and he would not open his mouth. 
זנִגַּ֨שׂ וְה֣וּא נַֽעֲנֶה֘ וְלֹ֣א יִפְתַּח־פִּיו֒ כַּשֶּׂה֙ לַטֶּ֣בַח יוּבָ֔ל וּכְרָחֵ֕ל לִפְנֵ֥י גֹֽזְזֶ֖יהָ נֶֽאֱלָ֑מָה וְלֹ֥א יִפְתַּ֖ח פִּֽיו:

8From imprisonment and from judgment he is taken, and his generation who shall tell? For he was cut off from the land of the living; because of the transgression of my people, a plague befell them. 
חמֵעֹ֚צֶר וּמִמִּשְׁפָּט֙ לֻקָּ֔ח וְאֶת־דּוֹר֖וֹ מִ֣י יְשׂוֹחֵ֑חַ כִּ֚י נִגְזַר֙ מֵאֶ֣רֶץ חַיִּ֔ים מִפֶּ֥שַׁע עַמִּ֖י נֶ֥גַע לָֽמוֹ:

9And he gave his grave to the wicked, and to the wealthy with his kinds of death, because he committed no violence, and there was no deceit in his mouth
טוַיִּתֵּ֚ן אֶת־רְשָׁעִים֙ קִבְר֔וֹ וְאֶת־עָשִׁ֖יר בְּמֹתָ֑יו עַל לֹֽא־חָמָ֣ס עָשָׂ֔ה וְלֹ֥א מִרְמָ֖ה בְּפִֽיו:

10And the Lord wished to crush him, He made him ill; if his soul makes itself restitution, he shall see children, he shall prolong his days, and God's purpose shall prosper in his hand. 
יוַֽיהֹוָ֞ה חָפֵ֚ץ דַּכְּאוֹ֙ הֶֽחֱלִ֔י אִם־תָּשִׂ֚ים אָשָׁם֙ נַפְשׁ֔וֹ יִרְאֶ֥ה זֶ֖רַע יַֽאֲרִ֣יךְ יָמִ֑ים וְחֵ֥פֶץ יְהֹוָ֖ה בְּיָד֥וֹ יִצְלָֽח:

11From the toil of his soul he would see, he would be satisfied; with his knowledge My servant would vindicate the just for many, and their iniquities he would bear. 
יאמֵֽעֲמַ֚ל נַפְשׁוֹ֙ יִרְאֶ֣ה יִשְׂבָּ֔ע בְּדַעְתּ֗וֹ יַצְדִּ֥יק צַדִּ֛יק עַבְדִּ֖י לָֽרַבִּ֑ים וַֽעֲו‍ֹנֹתָ֖ם ה֥וּא יִסְבֹּֽל:

12Therefore, I will allot him a portion in public, and with the strong he shall share plunder, because he poured out his soul to death, and with transgressors he was counted; and he bore the sin of many, and interceded for the transgressors. 
יבלָכֵ֞ן אֲחַלֶּק־ל֣וֹ בָֽרַבִּ֗ים וְאֶת־עֲצוּמִים֘ יְחַלֵּ֣ק שָׁלָל֒ תַּ֗חַת אֲשֶׁ֨ר הֶֽעֱרָ֚ה לַמָּ֙וֶת֙ נַפְשׁ֔וֹ וְאֶת־פֹּֽשְׁעִ֖ים נִמְנָ֑ה וְהוּא֙ חֵֽטְא־רַבִּ֣ים נָשָׂ֔א וְלַפֹּֽשְׁעִ֖ים יַפְגִּֽיעַ:

And you still do not recognize your Messiah. What a shame.
PGA2.0
PGA2.0
-->
@rosends
Well, that also.
And that is what the text of the NT teaches, a text that I would hazard you know very little of and yet speak from a point of authority on.

Oh, I don’t speak with any authority on the gospels, even though I have read a bunch of it. I certainly don’t quote it here to make any points. In fact, I have stated that it is useless because it has no authority. If I wanted to, I could certainly post verses that I have studied that would raise serious theological questions for you, but that’s not the goal.
I definitely agree with that. Even though you have read them you appear not to understand their significance. 

Please go ahead with those verses. 

I understand that an animal sacrifice was needed for sin, per the Law of Moses,
No, not really, but keep going. This is fun.

Again, just another assertion. They is nothing to go on about. You did not refute anything. You make no points, just give your opinion to date. 

the idea of a substitutionary payment for sin. The animal was acting in place of the sinner and it was a costly sacrifice, even so, yet it preserved the life of the sinner.
No, not at all. By that logic, [a] there should be no capital punishment, [b] just animal sacrifice replacing the human life. Or the sacrifice should be for sins that would otherwise require human death. But that’s not the case. Keep going…
[a] We are speaking of the Old Covenant. Jews no longer live under the Old Covenant for they cannot find forgiveness for their sins without meeting the requirements of God. Besides this, God never condoned immoral behavior and especially not with zero punishment. He would not be just if He did so. 

Let me reiterate from Post 34:

11For the soul of the flesh is in the blood, and I have therefore given it to you [to be placed] upon the altar, to atone for your souls. For it is the blood that atones for the soul.
 יאכִּי־נֶ֣פֶשׁ הַבָּשָׂר֘ בַּדָּ֣ם הִוא֒ וַֽאֲנִ֞י נְתַתִּ֤יו לָכֶם֙ עַל־הַמִּזְבֵּ֔חַ לְכַפֵּ֖ר עַל־נַפְשֹֽׁתֵיכֶ֑ם כִּֽי־הַדָּ֥ם ה֖וּא בַּנֶּ֥פֶשׁ יְכַפֵּֽר:

NO LONGER DONE. NO LONGER CAN BE DONE. 

Thus, they are not meeting the requirements of God, nor can they. That is the reason a better sacrifice was always planned by God.

[b] The whole point of God's covenant with Israel was that He is holy and pure and will not accept sinful persons within His presence. Thus, He set up a covering for sin until the better offering could be made, a human life offered freely without blemish or spot, completely righteous and holy before God. You can't do that, neither can I. The difference between you and me (I believe) is that I recognize that fact. My works or merit will not meet God's righteous standards. What makes you think yours will? That is why you need a Savior, just as God saved Israel from their sin and bondage in Egypt. He freed them. Jesus does the same for New Covenant believes, be that Jewish or Gentile. 

God, in His grace and mercy, offered a way in which Israel could be covered from their sins and still enter His presence. That was by an atonement for their sins. The animal represented them. It was a substitute for them. Thus, the High Priest would lay His hand on the offering, identifying that it should have been them. It was only by God's grace that it was not. 

Now, the problem with sacrifices is that they had to be continually offered for every new sin. They can never take away sin, just cover it until the appointed time when the Messiah would do so (as I laid out in Isaiah 53). Yom Kippur, or the Day of Atonement covered Israel's sins for the entire year. It was a solemn annual offering. Yet, it had to be offered over and over again for it could never take away sin, just atone for it until the next time. 

Hebrews 9:24-28
24 For Christ did not enter a holy place made by hands, a mere copy of the true one, but into heaven itself, now to appear in the presence of God for us; 25 nor was it that He would offer Himself often, as the high priest enters the Holy Place year by year with blood that is not his own. 26 Otherwise, He would have needed to suffer often since the foundation of the world; but now once at the consummation of the ages He has been revealed to put away sin [w]by the sacrifice of Himself. 27 And just as it is destined for people to die once, and after this comes judgment, 28 so Christ also, having been offered once to bear the sins of many, will appear a second time for salvation without reference to sin, to those who eagerly await Him.

Your OT system of worship is weak in that it does not meet God's righteous requirement for it does not do away with sin or unrighteousness. The sacrifice is not sufficient to do so. As in Adam all men sin and suffer death, so in Christ will all be made alive. The purpose of the Law of Moses was one of a school teacher to lead us to the Messiah. It exposes that the righteousness of the Law cannot be meet without God's grace in Jesus Christ. Over and over and over again throughout the OT we see the failure of the Jewish people, the failure of Israel, yet we also see God's thread of redemption sprinkled throughout the OT leading to the NT or New Covenant established in the blood of Jesus. Just like your Old Covenant required blood to be ratified, so the New Covenant also. Yet, the New Covenant has a better offering than the Old Covenant for the blood of goats and bulls can never take away sin, just atone or cover it until God's appointed time, the appointed time that the OT constantly points to.

Hebrews 9, continued,
18 Therefore even the first covenant was not inaugurated without blood. 19 For when every commandment had been spoken by Moses to all the people according to the Law, he took the blood of the calves and the goats, with water and scarlet wool and hyssop, and sprinkled both the book itself and all the people, 20 saying, “This is the blood of the covenant which God commanded you.” 21 And in the same way he sprinkled both the [v]tabernacle and all the vessels of the ministry with the blood. 22 And almost all things are cleansed with blood, according to the Law, and without the shedding of blood there is no forgiveness.
23 Therefore it was necessary for the copies of the things in the heavens to be cleansed with these things, but the heavenly things themselves with better sacrifices than these. 24 For Christ did not enter a holy place made by hands, a mere copy of the true one, but into heaven itself, now to appear in the presence of God for us; 25 nor was it that He would offer Himself often, as the high priest enters the Holy Place year by year with blood that is not his own.

Note that passage - "ALMOST ALL THINGS ARE CLEANSED WITH BLOOD, ACCORDING TO THE LAW."
rosends
rosends
-->
@PGA2.0
Well, the Old Covenant people had a bad record of understanding their God. Your God called them stiff-necked people and the Hebrew testimony is one of them always going astray. The track record is not good.

So, two points: the first is that, again, you keep going back to “people to whom the text was given and about whom it was written and who know the language in which it was written don’t understand it as well as outsiders”. You know who is an expert on medical textbooks? Kindergarten teachers.
The second is that you are relying on many of the words of prophets which just proves the point I made about understanding what prophecy is. Thanks for the confirmation.

The shoe fits the other way too, as evidenced by your very Hebrew Scriptures. So, it is not a question of me telling you but your very Scriptures telling you.

The texts confirm that the Jews don’t understand the texts? And please try not to mix metaphors.

Well, one part of the answer is found in Hoshea. Have at it! (but no, not 6:6)

The whole point of the Messiah was that Israel could never live up to the "rules" laid down in the Law.

Yes, that is your Christian idea of a messiah. That isn’t at all the biblical and Jewish notion of the messiah.

If you sinned unintentionally, you needed a sacrifice to atone for that sin.

A small group of sins was, indeed, covered by sacrifice, but that sacrifice could be of flour. So was that replaced by the sacrifice of the Pillsbury Dough Boy?

At a certain time, at a certain place, in a certain state. And if those criteria aren’t met, then there is another approach. That’s Jewish law.

Again, you make these broad statements without a shred of evidence so that nothing can be discussed further. 

Ok. Tosefta of Yoma, 4:7

עבר על מצות לא תעשה ועשה תשוב' תשובה תולה ויום הכפורים מכפר שנ' כי ביום הזה יכפר עליכם וגו

Start discussing

Then you don’t understand all the requirements.

Nope. Swing and a miss.

Yes, God does, but how do you think you meet that requirement? Hence, the need for the Saviour, the Messiah! Please pay very close attention to the underlined below:

Isaiah 53? Oh boy…you need some really basic help. I can send you to websites that explain Isaiah 53, verse by verse and idea by idea to help you understand why your theologically driven view of it is completely wrong. Just let me know. I mean, this is really simple and basic stuff. I thought you were a bit more aware than that.

PGA2.0
PGA2.0
-->
@rosends

I understand that from the beginning of Genesis there was a principle of sacrifice, and Abel's sacrifice was considered more noble than Cain's.
There was no “principle”. There was an idea of ceding to God something of value.

prin•ci•ple 

• n.
    A basic truth, law, or assumption.
  • n.
    A rule or standard, especially of good behavior.
Throughout the OT, starting in Genesis 4, there are sacrificial animals offered to God, and when the Law of Moses is established, animal sacrifice become the rule for cleansing not only the tabernacle, the temple, and the implements, as well as the furniture within, the holy days, the feasts, it also become the means of cleansing the Levites and the people of sin.

An animal sacrifice was always only a temporary sacrifice for sin until God could give the sacrifice which would atone for sin forever.
then you only understand Christianity and not Judaism because that idea has nothing to do with Judaism or the Jewish bible.
I have shown through your own testament, the Old Covenant, quite the contrary to what you assert without backup or evidence. 

Hebrews 9 explains this in great detail for anyone who wants to understand the OT system of sacrifice better.
See how to prove your point you have to quote form a non-Jewish text? QED.
Again, I have done so by listing many OT or Hebrew Scriptures as well as reiterating via the NT. 

They act as a substitute until God would make a sufficient sacrifice, a sinless human to restore righteousness.
Yeah, um…yuck. Humans aren’t fit for sacrifice under biblical law. In fact, human sacrifice is frowned upon. Also, humans are not sinless with rare exceptions and Jesus wasn’t one of those exceptions. And sins don’t “restore righteousness.”
You may not like the word, but that is precisely the though that is revealed in the Hebrew Scriptures - substitutionary sacrifice. The animal paid the price/covered for the sins of the human being. I never said humans were to be used for sacrifice. I was very specific in that the Hebrew Scriptures required an animal sacrifice. 

Prove to me that Jesus was not sinless instead of just asserting it. 

I never said sins restore righteousness. Please read my words again. What I said was " a sinless human to restore righteousness." He is our NT substitute. It should have been us that took our own punishment for our sins, but Jesus/Y'shua voluntarily sacrificed His life for our own, taking our punishment upon Himself, as Isaiah 53 very clearly points out, and I included the Hebrew, not the Septuagint verses that say just that. Ask yourself who is the "he" spoken of?  

After that time, Jews were no longer obedient to the covenant they made with God, nor could they be because God was displeased with that covenant yet used it for a purpose to demonstrate.
That is your assertion. It is meaningless, but there you go.
Nope. I gave numerous verses to bolster my point. It is not an assertion. The Hebrew texts state as much. Israel was a rebellious people for the most part. Thus, God has to continually send prophets and teachers to these people in warning of their continually breaking their part of the covenant. 

Where is that practiced in our day by the Jewish people? That was required by God until He established the New Covenant in His Son.
A wrong assertion, full of problems. It reflects a lack of understanding of the bible, of Jewish law and of logic.
I have shown you contrary from the Hebrew Scriptures. It is you who are asserting my lack of understanding, where it is I who has used Scripture to reiterate and support my position. 

The idea that you have the ability to live without sin before a holy God on your own merit is not what your OT Scriptures teach by its examples.
nor is it what anyone claims. That makes this a strawman.
I have given you many examples of the continued disobedience of the people to the covenant they agreed to with God. That shows their inability to live up to the covenant because their sin was too great an obstacle. What I have said is logically deduced and at time explicitly demonstrated. 

yet the day he ate of the tree of knowledge he was barred from the intimate presence of God, and that very day he died spiritually to God.
if you knew Hebrew you would see why this is a mistake. But you don’t. So you don’t.
So you keep saying without explanation. You are the one who continually asserts, sad to say.

rosends
rosends
-->
@PGA2.0
Well, I could quote Jesus' saying to follow the Pharisees in what they teach, or I could point out Romans 11. But that’s not the point of this thread.

Again, just another assertion. They is nothing to go on about. You did not refute anything. You make no points, just give your opinion to date.
Well, actually, I’m giving you the opinion of Jewish law. Are you an expert in Jewish law? I’d love to show you lots of sources.

We are speaking of the Old Covenant. Jews no longer live under the Old Covenant for they cannot find forgiveness for their sins without meeting the requirements of God.
Yes, Jews live under the existing and eternal covenant but we understand it better than you do.

Besides this, God never condoned immoral behavior and especially not with zero punishment. He would not be just if He did so.
Never said he did. That’s another strawman.

He set up a covering for sin until the better offering could be made, a human life offered freely without blemish or spot, completely righteous and holy before God.
God doesn’t want human sacrifice. If that’s what you are hanging your hat on then good luck…

My works or merit will not meet God's righteous standards. What makes you think yours will?
Jewish law and texts tell me so. So I don’t need a “savior” except for God who will save me from the current exile.

Now, the problem with sacrifices is that they had to be continually offered for every new sin.
No…remember, most sins are not covered by sacrifices. That’s textual.

(as I laid out in Isaiah 53).
So you really DO need a primer on Isaiah 53 I guess. Here is one resource. I have lots of others https://jewsforjudaism.org/knowledge/topics/isaiah-53/

Yom Kippur, or the Day of Atonement covered Israel's sins for the entire year
Sin exists. In the future, even in messianic times, sin will exist, as will sacrifices and atonement processes. Sin is atoned for. Trying to create a distinction between “covered” and “removed” or something like that is totally alien to Judaism.

Your OT system of worship is weak in that it does not meet God's righteous requirement for it does not do away with sin or unrighteousness.
Ah, I see. God gave a deficient and incomplete system and then demanded people live by it. That’s your idea of God, I guess. Sneaky of him.

The purpose of the Law of Moses was one of a school teacher to lead us to the Messiah.
And doom all people who lived until Jesus’ birth to eternal punishment for following the incomplete legal system that was demanded of them. Interesting.

Note that passage - "ALMOST ALL THINGS ARE CLEANSED WITH BLOOD, ACCORDING TO THE LAW."
Note that that passage comes from the gospels and is not anything with any value in Judaism. Did you want to quote from the Mahabharata also?

rosends
rosends
-->
@PGA2.0
Throughout the OT, starting in Genesis 4, there are sacrificial animals offered to God,
None is a rule or a truth. All are voluntary actions. So, no "principle".

it also become the means of cleansing the Levites and the people of sin.
No, it became A means of doing all this cleansing. Not “the” means.

I have shown through your own testament, the Old Covenant, quite the contrary to what you assert without backup or evidence.
You have quoted isolated verses. I know of others, and of a lot more in terms of the texts that make up the covenant. You keep quoting your gospels as ways of understanding the text. As that is an invalid lens, you have given me nothing with which to back up your assertions.

Again, I have done so by listing many OT or Hebrew Scriptures as well as reiterating via the NT.
But if you cherry pick verses and then present them through an invalid lens, you have done nothing.
If you want, you can start with כׇּל זְמַן שֶׁבֵּית הַמִּקְדָּשׁ קַיָּים — מִזְבֵּחַ מְכַפֵּר עַל יִשְׂרָאֵל, וְעַכְשָׁיו, שֻׁלְחָנוֹ שֶׁל אָדָם מְכַפֵּר עָלָיו
It should help you understand a little.

The animal paid the price/covered for the sins of the human being. I never said humans were to be used for sacrifice. I was very specific in that the Hebrew Scriptures required an animal sacrifice.
You said they were substitutions for the people, as if there is any value to a human sacrifice. And, no, they don’t substitute. Does flour substitute? It is, textually, an acceptable sacrifice for certain sins.

Prove to me that Jesus was not sinless instead of just asserting it.
Well, he did teach his followers to break the sabbath when eating, and he did curse a fruit tree. These are sins. There are others he did, of course, but this is just a temporary argument until Jesus comes and provides a permanent argument.

Please read my words again. What I said was " a sinless human to restore righteousness."
Oh, so you ARE saying that humans are used for sacrifices. Got it.

It should have been us that took our own punishment for our sins, but Jesus/Y'shua voluntarily sacrificed His life for our own, taking our punishment upon Himself,
So he took being killed, a punishment which was ours, meaning that we were to be sacrificed. Human sacrifice. Thanks.

Ask yourself who is the "he" spoken of? 
Wow…you did include the Hebrew, but you don’t understand it or else you wouldn’t have asked that question. Here, since you are so proud of having quoted the Hebrew, וַיֹּ֥אמֶר לִ֖י עַבְדִּי־אָ֑תָּה יִשְׂרָאֵ֕ל אֲשֶׁר־בְּךָ֖ אֶתְפָּאָֽר
That should answer your question.

After that time, Jews were no longer obedient to the covenant they made with God, nor could they be because God was displeased with that covenant yet used it for a purpose to demonstrate.
So God was displeased with the covenant he made. Talk about a moody God…

The Hebrew texts state as much. Israel was a rebellious people for the most part.
Well, that makes sense since God sent a deficient covenant! Right?

I have shown you contrary from the Hebrew Scriptures. It is you who are asserting my lack of understanding, where it is I who has used Scripture to reiterate and support my position.
No…again, you are picking isolated verses and laying them out through a Christian lens. Useless.

That shows their inability to live up to the covenant because their sin was too great an obstacle. What I have said is logically deduced and at time explicitly demonstrated.
People’s not living up to a set of laws demonstrates the failings of people, not of the law. The text in Deuteronomy explicitly says that the laws is not too far away from us
כִּ֚י הַמִּצְוָ֣ה הַזֹּ֔את אֲשֶׁ֛ר אָנֹכִ֥י מְצַוְּךָ֖ הַיּ֑וֹם לֹא־נִפְלֵ֥את הִוא֙ מִמְּךָ֔ וְלֹ֥א רְחֹקָ֖ה הִֽוא׃
לֹ֥א בַשָּׁמַ֖יִם הִ֑וא לֵאמֹ֗ר מִ֣י יַעֲלֶה־לָּ֤נוּ הַשָּׁמַ֙יְמָה֙ וְיִקָּחֶ֣הָ לָּ֔נוּ וְיַשְׁמִעֵ֥נוּ אֹתָ֖הּ וְנַעֲשֶֽׂנָּה׃
וְלֹא־מֵעֵ֥בֶר לַיָּ֖ם הִ֑וא לֵאמֹ֗ר מִ֣י יַעֲבׇר־לָ֜נוּ אֶל־עֵ֤בֶר הַיָּם֙ וְיִקָּחֶ֣הָ לָּ֔נוּ וְיַשְׁמִעֵ֥נוּ אֹתָ֖הּ וְנַעֲשֶֽׂנָּה׃
כִּֽי־קָר֥וֹב אֵלֶ֛יךָ הַדָּבָ֖ר מְאֹ֑ד בְּפִ֥יךָ וּבִֽלְבָבְךָ֖ לַעֲשֹׂתֽוֹ׃

So you keep saying without explanation. You are the one who continually asserts, sad to say.
Was my assertion wrong? Do you know Hebrew (or are you going to run to Google translate and then hope you figure everything out based on your computer?) The Hebrew in Genesis indicating the fate because of eating the apple is כִּ֗י בְּי֛וֹם אֲכׇלְךָ֥ מִמֶּ֖נּוּ מ֥וֹת תָּמֽוּת which is a very technical statement that you have mistranslated.

BrotherDThomas
Debates: 2
BrotherDThomas
-->
@Stephen
@Tradesecret

Has anyone seen the RUNAWAY from biblical axioms TRADESECRET around this forum in other areas?  As usual, once again TRADESECRET has runaway from my biblical superior  knowledge over their outright embarrassing kindergarten knowledge of same, as shown in the link below. LOL!

TRADESECRET, in still being a "he/she/unknown" because they haven't updated their profile yet to which gender they are at this time, like I have told them to do to save further embarrassment, has surpassed the equally Bible stupid and runaway fool FAUXLAW in running from godly inspired posts to them by me, and should be recognized with fanfare in the name of Satan! 

TRADESECRET, come out of hiding again and accept your award as explained above!  

PGA2.0
PGA2.0
-->
@rosends
Not as mandated by God.
 Show me where.

In most any neighborhood where there are Jews. The Levitical priesthood (the “kohanic” system) still exists and there are a variety of laws mandated by God that we follow because of it, especially related to life cycle events (birth, marriage, death). You didn’t know this? You thought that the Levitical system was defined by and limited to sacrifices?
That is a claim you make, but you have no documented genealogies to prove this. Your new priesthood do not follow the mandates of the Hebrew Bible in many respects. 

Shemot - Exodus - Chapter 24
3So Moses came and told the people all the words of the Lord and all the ordinances, and all the people answered in unison and said, "All the words that the Lord has spoken we will do." 
גוַיָּבֹ֣א משֶׁ֗ה וַיְסַפֵּ֤ר לָעָם֙ אֵ֚ת כָּל־דִּבְרֵ֣י יְהֹוָ֔ה וְאֵ֖ת כָּל־הַמִּשְׁפָּטִ֑ים וַיַּ֨עַן כָּל־הָעָ֜ם ק֤וֹל אֶחָד֙ וַיֹּ֣אמְר֔וּ כָּל־הַדְּבָרִ֛ים אֲשֶׁר־דִּבֶּ֥ר יְהֹוָ֖ה נַֽעֲשֶֽׂה:

7And he took the Book of the Covenant and read it within the hearing of the people, and they said, "All that the Lord spoke we will do and we will hear." 
זוַיִּקַּח֙ סֵ֣פֶר הַבְּרִ֔ית וַיִּקְרָ֖א בְּאָזְנֵ֣י הָעָ֑ם וַיֹּ֣אמְר֔וּ כֹּ֛ל אֲשֶׁר־דִּבֶּ֥ר יְהֹוָ֖ה נַֽעֲשֶׂ֥ה וְנִשְׁמָֽע:

8And Moses took the blood and sprinkled [it] on the people, and he said, "Behold the blood of the covenant, which the Lord has formed with you concerning these words." 
חוַיִּקַּ֤ח משֶׁה֙ אֶת־הַדָּ֔ם וַיִּזְרֹ֖ק עַל־הָעָ֑ם וַיֹּ֗אמֶר הִנֵּ֤ה דַם־הַבְּרִית֙ אֲשֶׁ֨ר כָּרַ֤ת יְהֹוָה֙ עִמָּכֶ֔ם עַ֥ל כָּל־הַדְּבָרִ֖ים הָאֵֽלֶּה:

Israel did not and cannot living up to the covenant. They disobeyed His covenant with them until they built up their sins to the full cup or measure of His wrath, then He issued a divorce to Israel and sought a new Bride of both Jews and Gentiles who would obey His words. They obey them through faith in Jesus Christ. What the Law could not do, Jesus did in a pleasing sacrifice to God. God provided the sacrifice, just as He did for Abraham. 

10And Abraham stretched forth his hand and took the knife, to slaughter his son. 
יוַיִּשְׁלַ֤ח אַבְרָהָם֙ אֶת־יָד֔וֹ וַיִּקַּ֖ח אֶת־הַמַּֽאֲכֶ֑לֶת לִשְׁחֹ֖ט אֶת־בְּנֽוֹ:

11And an angel of God called to him from heaven and said, "Abraham! Abraham!" And he said, "Here I am."
יאוַיִּקְרָ֨א אֵלָ֜יו מַלְאַ֤ךְ יְהֹוָה֙ מִן־הַשָּׁמַ֔יִם וַיֹּ֖אמֶר אַבְרָהָ֣ם | אַבְרָהָ֑ם וַיֹּ֖אמֶר הִנֵּֽנִי:

12And he said, "Do not stretch forth your hand to the lad, nor do the slightest thing to him, for now I know that you are a God fearing man, and you did not withhold your son, your only one, from Me."
יבוַיֹּ֗אמֶר אַל־תִּשְׁלַ֤ח יָֽדְךָ֙ אֶל־הַנַּ֔עַר וְאַל־תַּ֥עַשׂ ל֖וֹ מְא֑וּמָה כִּ֣י | עַתָּ֣ה יָדַ֗עְתִּי כִּֽי־יְרֵ֤א אֱלֹהִים֙ אַ֔תָּה וְלֹ֥א חָשַׂ֛כְתָּ אֶת־בִּנְךָ֥ אֶת־יְחִֽידְךָ֖ מִמֶּֽנִּי:

13And Abraham lifted up his eyes, and he saw, and lo! there was a ram, [and] after [that] it was caught in a tree by its horns. And Abraham went and took the ram and offered it up as a burnt offering instead of his son. 
יגוַיִּשָּׂ֨א אַבְרָהָ֜ם אֶת־עֵינָ֗יו וַיַּרְא֙ וְהִנֵּה־אַ֔יִל אַחַ֕ר נֶֽאֱחַ֥ז בַּסְּבַ֖ךְ בְּקַרְנָ֑יו וַיֵּ֤לֶךְ אַבְרָהָם֙ וַיִּקַּ֣ח אֶת־הָאַ֔יִל וַיַּֽעֲלֵ֥הוּ לְעֹלָ֖ה תַּ֥חַת בְּנֽוֹ:

14And Abraham named that place, The Lord will see, as it is said to this day: On the mountain, the Lord will be seen. 
ידוַיִּקְרָ֧א אַבְרָהָ֛ם שֵֽׁם־הַמָּק֥וֹם הַה֖וּא יְהֹוָ֣ה | יִרְאֶ֑ה אֲשֶׁר֙ יֵֽאָמֵ֣ר הַיּ֔וֹם בְּהַ֥ר יְהֹוָ֖ה יֵֽרָאֶֽה:

15And an angel of the Lord called to Abraham a second time from heaven.
טווַיִּקְרָ֛א מַלְאַ֥ךְ יְהֹוָ֖ה אֶל־אַבְרָהָ֑ם שֵׁנִ֖ית מִן־הַשָּׁמָֽיִם:

16And he said, "By Myself have I sworn, says the Lord, that because you have done this thing and you did not withhold your son, your only one, 
טזוַיֹּ֕אמֶר בִּ֥י נִשְׁבַּ֖עְתִּי נְאֻם־יְהֹוָ֑ה כִּ֗י יַ֚עַן אֲשֶׁ֤ר עָשִׂ֨יתָ֙ אֶת־הַדָּבָ֣ר הַזֶּ֔ה וְלֹ֥א חָשַׂ֖כְתָּ אֶת־בִּנְךָ֥ אֶת־יְחִידֶֽךָ:

17That I will surely bless you, and I will greatly multiply your seed as the stars of the heavens and as the sand that is on the seashore, and your descendants will inherit the cities of their enemies. 
יזכִּֽי־בָרֵ֣ךְ אֲבָֽרֶכְךָ֗ וְהַרְבָּ֨ה אַרְבֶּ֤ה אֶת־זַרְעֲךָ֙ כְּכֽוֹכְבֵ֣י הַשָּׁמַ֔יִם וְכַח֕וֹל אֲשֶׁ֖ר עַל־שְׂפַ֣ת הַיָּ֑ם וְיִרַ֣שׁ זַרְעֲךָ֔ אֵ֖ת שַׁ֥עַר אֹֽיְבָֽיו:

18And through your children shall be blessed all the nations of the world, because you hearkened to My voice." 
יחוְהִתְבָּֽרֲכ֣וּ בְזַרְעֲךָ֔ כֹּ֖ל גּוֹיֵ֣י הָאָ֑רֶץ עֵ֕קֶב אֲשֶׁ֥ר שָׁמַ֖עְתָּ בְּקֹלִֽי:

Abraham highlights Jesus Christ through typology. The whole of your Hebrew Scriptures do this. 

Abraham offered his son, as God offers His Son. God provided the sacrifice! Do you think your offering before God can provide atonement for your sins? Do you consider yourself righteous before God? Are you without sin? 

2The Lord in Heaven looked down upon the sons of men to see whether there is a man of understanding, who seeks the Lord. 
ביְֽהֹוָ֗ה מִשָּׁמַיִם֘ הִשְׁקִ֪יף עַל־בְּנֵי־אָ֫דָ֥ם לִ֖רְאוֹת הֲיֵ֣שׁ מַשְׂכִּ֑יל דֹּ֜רֵשׁ אֶת־אֱלֹהִֽים:

3All have turned away; together they have spoiled; no one does good, not even one
גהַכֹּ֥ל סָר֘ יַחְדָּ֪ו נֶֽ֫אֱלָ֥חוּ אֵ֣ין עֹֽשֵׂה־ט֑וֹב אֵ֜֗ין גַּם־אֶחָֽד:

Do you really think you can meet the righteous standards of God on your own merit? Is your faith satisfactory to God outside your acceptance of His perfect offering for your sins?

The difference between the Hebrew Scriptures and the NT is the 1st is a covenant of works in which you try and meet God's holy and righteous stand on your own merit. The 2nd is a covenant of grace, not by works, so that no one can boast before God of what they have done but instead rely on a perfect righteousness that is obtained by His grace and mercy to us. 

That is the difference between our two faiths. We both look to the same God, yet you do so on your own merit. 

So your argument about my understanding the text is that I don’t because all I have is the written Torah scrolls that are the same in most every Jewish community, and the oral law which has been transmitted faithfully for thousands of years. If the extent of your argument is “you don’t even have the original, so nothing you say is authoritative” then have fun. You have even less than I have (and if you think that Jesus relied on a Greek translation and not the Hebrew, then you think very little of him).
What makes you think you have the original autographs? You don't. They were destroyed with the destruction of Jerusalem for they were kept in the Holy Place - the temple. Why do you think you have something other than the traditions of men with these oral traditions? And, what makes you think your copies are from the autographs when the Septuagint as well as the Hebrew texts, sometimes quoted by Jesus, show acceptance by Jesus. Jesus accepted the Septuagint as a reliable translation as shown by His quoting from it, and as I pointed out, it can be traced back further than any of your texts, except for a brief quote. 

Show otherwise. Show me, as I asked before, the earliest known complete Bible you have. From what century?  

Evidence that laws are not fulfilled? That’s a matter of English. Laws are obeyed.
Evidence that there are laws for righteousness in Jewish law? I can cite codes of Jewish law to show that Jesus’ behavior wouldn’t qualify as righteous. Would you like that? It is pretty straightforward.
Evidence that the gospels hold no authority for me (or for Jews)? What kind of evidence would you like? A signed declaration from a rabbi stating this? Because I’ll write one up and sign it. And, yes, I’m a rabbi.
Sure, go ahead, but why should I believe you or your Rabbis in the areas they do not agree with Scripture?

Yeshua or Y'shua (ישוע‎ with vowel pointing יֵשׁוּעַ‎ – Yēšūaʿ in Hebrew)

That’s hilarious. If you read Hebrew, you would know that the English pronunciation doesn’t even match up to the Hebrew that is listed there. The nickname you listed is pronounced “yay-shu-a” with the stress on the first syllable. If you are going to use a nickname, at least pronounce it correctly.
I documented that it is accepted, and that it is a name. I never professed to be an authority on reading or speaking Hebrew. I go on what others have documented. 

My contention is they applied it to the rightful Person and you cannot dispute it with anything other than assertion to my knowledge.

Because your assertion that it was applied to the rightful person is based on your theological belief and nothing more. The Torah says X about God and a gospel writer applies X to Jesus. Since you believe in Jesus you say “hey, great job.” Anyone who doesn’t believe in Jesus says “um…no.” And when someone comes along and applies X to anyone else, believers say “hey, great job” and you say “um…no.”
And you assert it was not on the basis of your theological beliefs and nothing more. Big deal. 

I contend there is quite the difference between Jewish traditions and Scripture.

Yes, that is your assertion
And I showcase that my assertions are justified by the Jewish Scriptures themselves. Are you calling those assertions too? If not, then provide more than assertions in refuting me. 

Jesus was very fast to critique those who held to tradition above God's word.

But who cares? These quotes are from books that have no authority. If the Quran has quotes that show that Christians are wrong, does that mean anything to you?
You fail to recognize the authority. They have an authority that one day you will answer to. As for the Qur'an, it contradicts the teaching of the Jewish Scriptures and Christian Scriptures. The NT does not. What the NT does is provides the fulfillment of the OT or Hebrew Scriptures. You just don't recognize that because you do not recognize your Messiah and you heap a load of interpretations onto the text of Scripture, per Jesus.

Then he opened their minds so they could understand the Scriptures.

Jesus had some harsh words for the religious leaders of His day:

John 8:43-45
New American Standard Bible
43 Why do you not understand [a]what I am saying? It is because you cannot listen to My word. 44 You are of your father the devil, and you want to do the desires of your father. He was a murderer from the beginning, and does not stand in the truth because there is no truth in him. Whenever he tells [b]a lie, he speaks from his own nature, because he is a liar and the father of [c]lies. 45 But because I say the truth, you do not believe Me.

PGA2.0
PGA2.0
-->
@rosends

So, two points: the [a] first is that, again, you keep going back to “people to whom the text was given and about whom it was written and who know the language in which it was written don’t understand it as well as outsiders”. You know who is an expert on medical textbooks? Kindergarten teachers.
The [b] second is that you are relying on many of the words of prophets which just proves the point I made about understanding what prophecy is. Thanks for the confirmation.
[a]  The Hebrew Scriptures teach that as I pointed out with numerous verses that call them stiff-necked or disobedient. 

[b]  I don't follow your point. The words of the prophets are the words of those who spoke the message of God, the message about what was to come.     

The texts confirm that the Jews don’t understand the texts? And please try not to mix metaphors.
I have been arguing just that - the Jews did not understand the text or whom their Messiah was, or is. 

Well, one part of the answer is found in Hoshea. Have at it! (but no, not 6:6)
Again, stop playing games and just list what you want to say. 

The whole point of the Messiah was that Israel could never live up to the "rules" laid down in the Law.

Yes, that is your Christian idea of a messiah. That isn’t at all the biblical and Jewish notion of the messiah.
The Messiah was the deliverer of Israel, appointed and anointed by God. 

What you don't seem to grasp is that the offerings of bulls and goats could never take away sin. They just provided covering until the time when God would initiate the better covenant. He did that by destroying the Old Covenant in the destruction of Jerusalem, the temple, and the sacrificial system (the latter of which was required for the remission of sins). The covenant was initiated by blood, just like the New Covenant is initiated by blood. The covenant had Moses as mediator. The New Covenant has Jesus as m=Mediator. The first covenant took place at Mount Sinai, the Second at Mount Calvary. In every way, the old pointed to the new and better covenant in its types and shadows.

They serve at a sanctuary that is a copy and shadow of what is in heaven. This is why Moses was warned when he was about to build the tabernacle: “See to it that you make everything according to the pattern shown you on the mountain.”

Shemot - Exodus - Chapter 25
8And they shall make Me a sanctuary and I will dwell in their midst
חוְעָ֥שׂוּ לִ֖י מִקְדָּ֑שׁ וְשָֽׁכַנְתִּ֖י בְּתוֹכָֽם:

9according to all that I show you, the pattern of the Mishkan and the pattern of all its vessels; and so shall you do. 
טכְּכֹ֗ל אֲשֶׁ֤ר אֲנִי֙ מַרְאֶ֣ה אֽוֹתְךָ֔ אֵ֚ת תַּבְנִ֣ית הַמִּשְׁכָּ֔ן וְאֵ֖ת תַּבְנִ֣ית כָּל־כֵּלָ֑יו וְכֵ֖ן תַּֽעֲשֽׂוּ:

A small group of sins was, indeed, covered by sacrifice, but that sacrifice could be of flour. So was that replaced by the sacrifice of the Pillsbury Dough Boy?

At a certain time, at a certain place, in a certain state. And if those criteria aren’t met, then there is another approach. That’s Jewish law.

עבר על מצות לא תעשה ועשה תשוב' תשובה תולה ויום הכפורים מכפר שנ' כי ביום הזה יכפר עליכם וגו

Start discussing

Nope. Swing and a miss.

Isaiah 53? Oh boy…you need some really basic help. I can send you to websites that explain Isaiah 53, verse by verse and idea by idea to help you understand why your theologically driven view of it is completely wrong. Just let me know. I mean, this is really simple and basic stuff. I thought you were a bit more aware than that.

PGA2.0
PGA2.0
-->
@rosends

Not the sin offering. It was different from the burnt offering, peace offering, trespass offering, or meal offering. It was a bull, goat, or lamb, depending on who sinned.

The covenant law states:

For the life of the flesh is in the blood, and I have given it to you on the altar to make atonement for your souls; for it is the blood by reason of the life that makes atonement.’

11For the soul of the flesh is in the blood, and I have therefore given it to you [to be placed] upon the altar, to atone for your souls. For it is the blood that atones for the soul. 

A sacrifice was needed.

Start discussing
I already stated, I do not speak or read Hebrew. Put it in words I understand. 

So you assert. Assertions abound. 

Nope. Swing and a miss.
Quit playing games. 

Yes, I'm sure you can, and I invite you to do so, according to the way you understand Isaiah 53 as the nation of Israel. I will then show you why your interpretation does not work. I'm letting you know - go ahead. 

PGA2.0
PGA2.0
-->
@rosends
Post 38:

Well, I could quote Jesus' saying to follow the Pharisees in what they teach, or I could point out Romans 11. But that’s not the point of this thread.
Go ahead.   If you don't want to do it here, create a thread.  None of the NT means anything without the resurrection, per the Apostle Paul. He said if it did not happen, our faith was in vain. Jesus was the sacrifice that God resurrected from death. Israel of God is not a physical nation but those who do the will of God. His will is to believe in His Son who has met His righteous requirement. The New Israel of God worships God as He requires, in spirit and in truth.  

Well, actually, I’m giving you the opinion of Jewish law. Are you an expert in Jewish law? I’d love to show you lots of sources.
Opinions are nothing but assertions without proof. You are backing nothing up, just asserting it, over and over. 

We are speaking of the Old Covenant. Jews no longer live under the Old Covenant for they cannot find forgiveness for their sins without meeting the requirements of God.
Yes, Jews live under the existing and eternal covenant but we understand it better than you do.
The eternal covenant has met fulfillment on behalf of believers in Jesus. The Old Covenant does not exist as Israel of old agreed to it. 

Besides this, God never condoned immoral behavior and especially not with zero punishment. He would not be just if He did so.
Never said he did. That’s another strawman.
It is not a strawman. All along I have been saying that you cannot meet God righteous requirements in the Law of Moses for sin, AS PRESCRIBED. Thus, you cannot justify yourself before God according to His laws. 

He set up a covering for sin until the better offering could be made, a human life offered freely without blemish or spot, completely righteous and holy before God.
God doesn’t want human sacrifice. If that’s what you are hanging your hat on then good luck…
I agree with you, He does not want YOUR human sacrifices. They are like filthy rags to Him. The Son is the provision God has given and nothing else is sufficient.

My works or merit will not meet God's righteous standards. What makes you think yours will?
Jewish law and texts tell me so. So I don’t need a “savior” except for God who will save me from the current exile.
Which laws and texts?

Now, the problem with sacrifices is that they had to be continually offered for every new sin.
No…remember, most sins are not covered by sacrifices. That’s textual.

(as I laid out in Isaiah 53).
So you really DO need a primer on Isaiah 53 I guess. Here is one resource. I have lots of others https://jewsforjudaism.org/knowledge/topics/isaiah-53/

"The Suffering Servant is consistently presented as an individual and not as a plurality or collective noun, like a people group. Verse 8 says, “For the transgressions of My people He was stricken”. What people was Isaiah part of? The people of Israel, of course. So “my people” refers to the people of Israel. Therefore Israel cannot be the Suffering Servant of the Lord. If the people of Israel was the Servant of the Lord here, who would be “my people”? 

8From imprisonment and from judgment he is taken, and his generation who shall tell? For he was cut off from the land of the living; because of the transgression of my people, a plague befell them. 
חמֵעֹ֚צֶר וּמִמִּשְׁפָּט֙ לֻקָּ֔ח וְאֶת־דּוֹר֖וֹ מִ֣י יְשׂוֹחֵ֑חַ כִּ֚י נִגְזַר֙ מֵאֶ֣רֶץ חַיִּ֔ים מִפֶּ֥שַׁע עַמִּ֖י נֶ֥גַע לָֽמוֹ:

Yom Kippur, or the Day of Atonement covered Israel's sins for the entire year
Sin exists. In the future, even in messianic times, sin will exist, as will sacrifices and atonement processes. Sin is atoned for. Trying to create a distinction between “covered” and “removed” or something like that is totally alien to Judaism.
To Judaism but not to all Jews. So what?

Your OT system of worship is weak in that it does not meet God's righteous requirement for it does not do away with sin or unrighteousness.
Ah, I see. God gave a deficient and incomplete system and then demanded people live by it. That’s your idea of God, I guess. Sneaky of him.
Not the law, those who try and keep it. They never worshiped as required by law. The law is righteous but the very fact is that Israel could never, never, never live up to the Law. 

The purpose of the Law of Moses was one of a school teacher to lead us to the Messiah.
And doom all people who lived until Jesus’ birth to eternal punishment for following the incomplete legal system that was demanded of them. Interesting.
Nope. Those OT Jews who had faith in God were justified by the sacrifice that was to be given later.

Note that that passage comes from the gospels and is not anything with any value in Judaism. Did you want to quote from the Mahabharata also?
Leviticus 17 is, as I have provided before, which ties into the NT passage. 
Tradesecret
Tradesecret
-->
@rosends
You came to the conclusion that the statement of evening and morning constituting the day can be understood to say that " it is an inbuilt design by God to the Jewish people that resurrection is his plan for his people."
Yes, absolutely.  It makes total sense. 

That’s a fanciful conclusion to draw – not that Judaism doesn’t have an idea of resurrection in it, but I haven’t heard any Jewish thinkers tying it to this construction of the day. The phraseology of evening and morning established the structure of a day which has practical implications in how we fulfil certain commandments. But it isn’t tied to resurrection.
 Just because you have not heard any thinker talk about it - does not imply it is not part of it.  It certainly it is not fanciful.  How can you say it is not tied to resurrection when in the middle of EVERY day - you sleep and rise again.   It is an incredibly powerful picture.  It is one that the non-Jew would never recognize. 

Judaism DOES have an idea that sleep is a mini-version of death (the oral law speaks of sleep as “one sixtieth of death”) and this has additional implications in terms of ritual impurity and the morning’s need for hand washing.
Good to hear that.  I imagine that there are even more implications that they have not discovered either. Unless you consider them omniscient. 

It is perfectly fine for you to speak of Christianity’s seeing these and other biblical events as symbolic or allusions (“shadows” is often a word I hear used) but that’s not how they work in Judaism.
 Christianity - is just consistently letting the symbols and picture fall out.  Perhaps the Jewish world will catch up. Perhaps they won't.  Modern Judaism does what it wants and that is fine. Please do  not think that I take the view that modern Jewishness is the same as Ancient Jewishness.  

The same can be said of your representation of the division between Sadducees and Pharisees (we would call them Tzedukim and Prushim). Jewish history records important differences of opinion, but not, if I recall correctly, about the idea of resurrection. That is a Christian version of things.

That is an interesting distinction. Yet,  you are the first and indeed the only person I have ever heard that says this.  My Hebrew Teacher - a Jew says the opposite of you. Should I listen to you or to him?   But thanks for that - I will certainly ask him next time I talk to him about your opinion.  

Stephen
Stephen
-->
@Tradesecret
My Hebrew Teacher - 

😮So on top of all  your other claimed talents and schools of learning, qualifications and accreditations,

Tradesecrete wrote: I do  understand Orthodoxy. I studied and was tutored by academics, scholars, and priests and fathers from the Orthodox Church. 

But in my role as a pastor - which I also do, I counsel in pastoral care.  And yes, I am qualified by certified colleges with proper accreditation.  I am also a chaplain to our Countries Defence forces, a position I could not have without proper qualifications.  #20

You now freely tell us on a forum of the WWW that you had a Hebrew teacher too.  You have been a busy chap , haven't you🤣.

Tradesecret
Tradesecret
-->
@Stephen
Yes, I studied in an university which had a variety of different religious figures.  So what?  In order for me to study Hebrew, I needed a teacher.  That he was a Hebrew was a bonus.  

Good for you.  And So what? It is none of your business.  

At least I am consistent with my worldview - unlike you - who is in denial - and irrational. 
rosends
rosends
-->
@PGA2.0
“that is a claim you make, but you have no documented genealogies to prove this. Your new priesthood do not follow the mandates of the Hebrew Bible in many respects.”

So you don’t understand חזקת כּהונה? That’s OK. What your underlying claim is, is that the essence of the entire religion is flawed and you know better than thousands of years of study, understanding and belief. And you say all this with no knowledge of Judaism. Amazing.

“Do you really think you can meet the righteous standards of God on your own merit? Is your faith satisfactory to God outside your acceptance of His perfect offering for your sins?”

See, that’s Christian theology imposing itself, and Christian verbiage trying to apply itself to a different religious construct. You have this weird notion of “perfect offering for your sins” and think that, because your vision of Christianity embraces it, any other religion is wrong, even when it comes to the essential construct of those other religions. You’re wrong, but your arrogance about your position blinds you, so you see in Judaism not what Judaism IS, but what you have decided it is in order to justify your conclusions.

“The difference between the Hebrew Scriptures and the NT is the 1st is a covenant of works in which you try and meet God's holy and righteous stand on your own merit. The 2nd is a covenant of grace, not by works, so that no one can boast before God of what they have done but instead rely on a perfect righteousness that is obtained by His grace and mercy to us.”

This statement is so steeped in Christianity that it is unintelligible to a Jew. You don’t know “Hebrew scriptures” you invent and demand this “covenant of _____” idea and then talk of “boasting before God.” All alien to Judaism.

“What makes you think you have the original autographs? You don't. They were destroyed with the destruction of Jerusalem for they were kept in the Holy Place - the temple. Why do you think you have something other than the traditions of men with these oral traditions? And, what makes you think your copies are from the autographs when the Septuagint as well as the Hebrew texts, sometimes quoted by Jesus, show acceptance by Jesus. Jesus accepted the Septuagint as a reliable translation as shown by His quoting from it, and as I pointed out, it can be traced back further than any of your texts, except for a brief quote.”

So you are back to “Jews don’t have the actual text so Judaism is wrong. Jesus accepted a particular translation, so Jesus must be right.” Jesus also referred to the Jewish oral law as authoritative. I guess you have to accept that it is right also.

“Sure, go ahead, but why should I believe you or your Rabbis in the areas they do not agree with Scripture?”

Since you don’t agree with what Judaism considers “scripture” why would anyone care about what you would or would not believe?

“I documented that it is accepted, and that it is a name. I never professed to be an authority on reading or speaking Hebrew. I go on what others have documented.”

So you can’t understand that what you copied and pasted is wrong on its face. You are relying on a black letter error but can’t understand that because you are happy in your ignorance. So noted.

“And I showcase that my assertions are justified by the Jewish Scriptures themselves.”

No, by your vision of what you think of as “Jewish scriptures.” Since you don’t understand actual Jewish scriptures, your assertions are wrong.

“You fail to recognize the authority. They have an authority that one day you will answer to. As for the Qur'an, it contradicts the teaching of the Jewish Scriptures and Christian Scriptures. The NT does not. What the NT does is provides the fulfillment of the OT or Hebrew Scriptures. You just don't recognize that because you do not recognize your Messiah and you heap a load of interpretations onto the text of Scripture, per Jesus.”

I see the gospels as useless and contradictory to Jewish text and law, the way you see the Quran and I have no concern that in some future moment I will have to "answer" for this in anything but the best way. You fail to see these problems because you only see Jewish text through those very same gospels. The failure is yours. You start with an invented messianic notion and work backwards to justify this flawed vision.
rosends
rosends
-->
@PGA2.0
“[a]  The Hebrew Scriptures teach that as I pointed out with numerous verses that call them stiff-necked or disobedient. “

And that the torah laws, written and oral are eternal and binding and do not change. You sure you want to go with that?

“[b]  I don't follow your point. The words of the prophets are the words of those who spoke the message of God, the message about what was to come.     “

Only sometimes. Sometimes they spoke of what was important to impart, or what already came and what might or might not come. The essential aspect of prophecy in Judaism is the source of the insight, not the future focus of it.

“The shoe fits the other way too, as evidenced by your very Hebrew Scriptures. So, it is not a question of me telling you but your very Scriptures telling you.”

Just your limited view of text.

“I have been arguing just that - the Jews did not understand the text or whom their Messiah was, or is. “

So there you have it. Jews got texts and had a relationship with God for a whole bunch of years, built 2 temples and thrived, but you say that Jews didn’t understand a central idea of Judaism. You realize, I hope, that there were many “messiahs” before Jesus was even born, right? And somehow, Jews recognized them just fine.

“Again, stop playing games and just list what you want to say. “

But this is so much more fun. You keep insisting stuff about Judaism but aren’t even familiar with a central verse that defines much of Jewish practice. This proves my point, again and again, that you speak from ignorance but instead of admitting you don’t know, you forge ahead.

“The whole point of the Messiah was that Israel could never live up to the "rules" laid down in the Law.”

Maybe that’s a Christian idea of what a messiah is. That isn’t what is found in Jewish text and law.

“The Messiah was the deliverer of Israel, appointed and anointed by God. “

Not exactly, no. Nice try, though.
I noticed that you didn’t discuss the tosefta I quoted. Why is that? Oh…you don’t know Hebrew and yet you keep making claims that are against Hebrew scripture and law. You want things in words you understand but when I put them there you say “that’s an assertion, bring proof.” The Hebrew IS THE PROOF. Your ignorance can’t stop that fact.

“Not the sin offering. It was different from the burnt offering, peace offering, trespass offering, or meal offering. It was a bull, goat, or lamb, depending on who sinned.”

So you are saying that a flour offering didn’t expiate sin? Have you even read Lev 5:11?

“Yes, I'm sure you can, and I invite you to do so, according to the way you understand Isaiah 53 as the nation of Israel. I will then show you why your interpretation does not work. I'm letting you know - go ahead.”

Books have been written on this. I’ll refer you to 2 websites because it is faster than showing you verses in Hebrew and grammar you can’t understand. https://uriyosef.wordpress.com/2020/03/19/who-is-the-suffering-servant-in-isaiah-53-part-i-the-jewish-interpretation-valid-or-not-2/
https://www.drazin.com/index07b1.html?12._The_Suffering_Servant
There are plenty of others.

“Go ahead.   If you don't want to do it here, create a thread.  None of the NT means anything without the resurrection, per the Apostle Paul. He said if it did not happen, our faith was in vain. Jesus was the sacrifice that God resurrected from death. Israel of God is not a physical nation but those who do the will of God. His will is to believe in His Son who has met His righteous requirement. The New Israel of God worships God as He requires, in spirit and in truth.  “

Just like in Harry Potter! Isn’t self-serving fiction incredible? I mean, just look at this paragraph of assertions you have made, all based on the fairy tales you rely on as self-justified.

“Opinions are nothing but assertions without proof. You are backing nothing up, just asserting it, over and over.”

Remember that tosefta I quoted that you can’t read? Yeah. Anything you don’t like is an assertion and anything you claim must be true. Got it.

“The eternal covenant has met fulfillment on behalf of believers in Jesus. The Old Covenant does not exist as Israel of old agreed to it.”

That is, in your words, “an assertion.” You prove it with a text which has no value so it remains unproven. The text says that the covenant is eternal but you don’t like that part so you rely on the sequel which says “no, it changed because we say so.”

“All along I have been saying that you cannot meet God righteous requirements in the Law of Moses for sin, AS PRESCRIBED. Thus, you cannot justify yourself before God according to His laws.”

But your claim was about God’s condoning immoral behavior with no consequences. And, back to the same point – you don’t even understand how the text says to meet the requirements (there’s that verse you don’t know and Lev 5:11 which you deny exists).

“He does not want YOUR human sacrifices”

So your vision of God is one who wants certain human sacrifice. Gross.

“Which laws and texts?”

אָֽנֹכִ֥י אָֽנֹכִ֖י דַ וְאֵ֥ין מִבַּלְעָדַ֖י מוֹשִֽׁיעַ
Right there, black letter support.

“The Suffering Servant is consistently presented as an individual and not as a plurality or collective noun,”

Your essential argument is about singular vs. plural in the reference to a nation as a collective? One look at בּרכת כּהנים proves your thesis untenable. Of course, this would require you understand Hebrew which you have admitted you don’t. So, what…you write responses which hinge on Hebrew grammar when you admit you don’t know Hebrew? That’s a bit intellectually dishonest. I’m not surprised, of course…

“Not the law, those who try and keep it. They never worshiped as required by law. The law is righteous but the very fact is that Israel could never, never, never live up to the Law.”

So God set people up to be failures. Even though he says explicitly that this isn’t the case. OK.
כִּ֚י הַמִּצְוָ֣ה הַזֹּ֔את אֲשֶׁ֛ר אָנֹכִ֥י מְצַוְּךָ֖ הַיּ֑וֹם לֹא־נִפְלֵ֥את הִוא֙ מִמְּךָ֔ וְלֹ֥א רְחֹקָ֖ה הִֽוא׃
לֹ֥א בַשָּׁמַ֖יִם הִ֑וא לֵאמֹ֗ר מִ֣י יַעֲלֶה־לָּ֤נוּ הַשָּׁמַ֙יְמָה֙ וְיִקָּחֶ֣הָ לָּ֔נוּ וְיַשְׁמִעֵ֥נוּ אֹתָ֖הּ וְנַעֲשֶֽׂנָּה׃
וְלֹא־מֵעֵ֥בֶר לַיָּ֖ם הִ֑וא לֵאמֹ֗ר מִ֣י יַעֲבׇר־לָ֜נוּ אֶל־עֵ֤בֶר הַיָּם֙ וְיִקָּחֶ֣הָ לָּ֔נוּ וְיַשְׁמִעֵ֥נוּ אֹתָ֖הּ וְנַעֲשֶֽׂנָּה׃
כִּֽי־קָר֥וֹב אֵלֶ֛יךָ הַדָּבָ֖ר מְאֹ֑ד בְּפִ֥יךָ וּבִֽלְבָבְךָ֖ לַעֲשֹׂתֽוֹ׃

I mean, how can it be any more clear? Oh, wait – you can’t read Hebrew so this must not exist.

“Those OT Jews who had faith in God were justified by the sacrifice that was to be given later.”

People are not justified and one cannot get the benefit of something that hasn’t happened.

rosends
rosends
-->
@Tradesecret
“Yes, absolutely.  It makes total sense. “

Not within Judaism, it does not.

“Just because you have not heard any thinker talk about it - does not imply it is not part of it.  It certainly it is not fanciful.  How can you say it is not tied to resurrection when in the middle of EVERY day - you sleep and rise again.   It is an incredibly powerful picture.  It is one that the non-Jew would never recognize. “

Just because you have heard a “thinker” say something doesn’t make anything part of Judaism. Your interpretation of what seems to make sense to you from outside of Judaism stays outside of Judaism.

“Good to hear that.  I imagine that there are even more implications that they have not discovered either. Unless you consider them omniscient. “

No, but the law is pretty much already extant. Laws aren’t omniscient though. They are things that don’t have knowledge but are expressions of knowledge. If you understood the laws in Judaism related to sleep then you would see that.

“Modern Judaism does what it wants and that is fine. Please do  not think that I take the view that modern Jewishness is the same as Ancient Jewishness.  “

Sure and please don’t think that I take the view that Christianity has any insight into what Judaism is.

“That is an interesting distinction. Yet,  you are the first and indeed the only person I have ever heard that says this. “

Have you read the Talmud?

“My Hebrew Teacher - a Jew says the opposite of you. Should I listen to you or to him?   But thanks for that - I will certainly ask him next time I talk to him about your opinion.  “

Listen to whoever you want. That Talmud discusses essential differences between the two sects. Some have drawn conclusions extending the logical method to encompass potential positions on other aspects of Jewish belief, based on external (not Jewish-religious texts). For a good summary, read here https://judaism.stackexchange.com/a/99270 or I can point to the actual talmudic (and slightly post talmudic) source texts for you to read on the subject such as 
משנה מסכת ידים פרק ד -- the mishna in tractate Yadayim, chapter 4.
and
פסיקתא זוטרתא (לקח טוב) במדבר פרשת שלח לך which includes the Tzedukkim as a type of heretic in general.

Stephen
Stephen
Yes, I studied in an university which had a variety of different religious figures. 

It is none of your business.  
You  make it the business of others from the moment that you declared freely  your back story to the www that now all of a sudden includes being tutored in Hebrew by a Hebrew among your other claims to fame. No doubt you will complain about what it is that YOU have freely chosen to reveal about yourself at a later date. you just can't help yourself. I have told you, when one of your other personas makes these claims on your behalf they will always fall back on you, the Reverend "Tradey" Tradesecrete.

At least I am consistent with my worldview - unlike you - who is in denial - and irrational. 

I don't believe there is anything irrational about my own beliefs where these ambiguous half stories that make up the scriptures are concerned. You believe that a three days old  rotten stinking corpse rose from the dead, I don't. I have never witnessed this alleged phenomena and neither have you. Yet you question the minds of those those that don't believe it and their "irrationality"? 

At least I am consistent with my worldview

And so am I until something causes me to change my world view.  And it is not your "world view" that I am bringing into question is it thicko?  No.  What I bring into question are these unreliable ambiguous half stories that go to make up the scriptures.

rosends
rosends
PGA2.0
PGA2.0
-->
@rosends
Post 48:

“that is a claim you make, but you have no documented genealogies to prove this. Your new priesthood do not follow the mandates of the Hebrew Bible in many respects.”

So you don’t understand חזקת כּהונה? That’s OK. What your underlying claim is, is that the essence of the entire religion is flawed and you know better than thousands of years of study, understanding and belief. And you say all this with no knowledge of Judaism. Amazing.
Please provide a translation. I provided your texts, both the English and Hebraic sides of them for your benefit. I already told you, I do not speak or read Hebrew. 

And I do not believe the entire religion is flawed. How ridiculous. My faith, in part, is built on what we call the OT, your Scriptures. What I believe is the traditions and understandings/interpretations of the Rabbis are flawed. You continually refer to the Talmud and Mishnah, plus the oral law. We, as Christians, go on what is written in the Hebrew Bible. If you want to prove something to me then show/convince me via those Scriptures. The Mishnah and Talmud were written centuries after the fall of Jerusalem. Why should I consider them authorities??? Do you giv them the same worth as God's Word? It is easy for someone to claim authority just because they are Jewish, or as TradeSecret pointed out, the Jewishness of the 1st-century is different from the Jewishness after that or even today. While I recognize the claim that you are living under Judaism, and perhaps you are an authority on Judaism, yet I distrust your understanding of the Scriptures based on all the external sources you bring to the table. You do not live under the OT system as mandated by Scripture any more. 

“Do you really think you can meet the righteous standards of God on your own merit? Is your faith satisfactory to God outside your acceptance of His perfect offering for your sins?”

See, that’s Christian theology imposing itself, and Christian verbiage trying to apply itself to a different religious construct. You have this weird notion of “perfect offering for your sins” and think that, because your vision of Christianity embraces it, any other religion is wrong, even when it comes to the essential construct of those other religions. You’re wrong, but your arrogance about your position blinds you, so you see in Judaism not what Judaism IS, but what you have decided it is in order to justify your conclusions.
My point, it is not a different religious construct from your Scriptures, I believe you just don't recognize it because of all the addition stuff you being to Scripture. I will acknowledge that both Judaism and Christianity have buzz words or verbiage that needs further explaining to those on the outside of each belief. I gave you many verses from your Scriptures plus my logic on why I believe what I do. I see your Scripture as CLEAR on meaning. I have a notion of a perfect sacrifice based on 1) the holiness and purity of God, and 2) the sacrifice was to be without blemish or spot. But furthermore, the sacrifices represented the people. The sin offering was a life taken in place of the sinner. Do you understand that? Do you understand the significance of the Levite laying hands on the animal before either sacrificing its life or letting it go into the wilderness, as was the case of the scapegoat? Do you understand that there was a substitution present? 

You accuse me of being arrogant because I fight for the truth of your Scriptures, but you are just as arrogant in your claims by assertion, and why should I believe Judaism over the Scriptures? The arrogance of such a position I find appalling. 

You use Judaism to justify the Scriptures rather than the Scriptures to justify Judaism. 

“The difference between the Hebrew Scriptures and the NT is the 1st is a covenant of works in which you try and meet God's holy and righteous stand on your own merit. The 2nd is a covenant of grace, not by works, so that no one can boast before God of what they have done but instead rely on a perfect righteousness that is obtained by His grace and mercy to us.”

This statement is so steeped in Christianity that it is unintelligible to a Jew. You don’t know “Hebrew scriptures” you invent and demand this “covenant of _____” idea and then talk of “boasting before God.” All alien to Judaism.
You do not recognize what the Jews did to meet the Law of Moses is works based. It is based on what you as the individual and Levite do, not solely on what God does. If what was done (the sacrificial offerings) could make you perfect in standing before God the Jews would not have to offer a sacrifice for the sins of the people year in and year out. The fact is they did until that system was abolished by God. It disappeared. It is no longer practiced as agreed to by Israel, as per Exodus 24:3, 7. 

3So Moses came and told the people all the words of the Lord and all the ordinances, and all the people answered in unison and said, "All the words that the Lord has spoken we will do." 
גוַיָּבֹ֣א משֶׁ֗ה וַיְסַפֵּ֤ר לָעָם֙ אֵ֚ת כָּל־דִּבְרֵ֣י יְהֹוָ֔ה וְאֵ֖ת כָּל־הַמִּשְׁפָּטִ֑ים וַיַּ֨עַן כָּל־הָעָ֜ם ק֤וֹל אֶחָד֙ וַיֹּ֣אמְר֔וּ כָּל־הַדְּבָרִ֛ים אֲשֶׁר־דִּבֶּ֥ר יְהֹוָ֖ה נַֽעֲשֶֽׂה:

7And he took the Book of the Covenant and read it within the hearing of the people, and they said, "All that the Lord spoke we will do and we will hear."
זוַיִּקַּח֙ סֵ֣פֶר הַבְּרִ֔ית וַיִּקְרָ֖א בְּאָזְנֵ֣י הָעָ֑ם וַיֹּ֣אמְר֔וּ כֹּ֛ל אֲשֶׁר־דִּבֶּ֥ר יְהֹוָ֖ה נַֽעֲשֶׂ֥ה וְנִשְׁמָֽע:

“What makes you think you have the original autographs? You don't. They were destroyed with the destruction of Jerusalem for they were kept in the Holy Place - the temple. Why do you think you have something other than the traditions of men with these oral traditions? And, what makes you think your copies are from the autographs when the Septuagint as well as the Hebrew texts, sometimes quoted by Jesus, show acceptance by Jesus. Jesus accepted the Septuagint as a reliable translation as shown by His quoting from it, and as I pointed out, it can be traced back further than any of your texts, except for a brief quote.”

So you are back to “Jews don’t have the actual text so Judaism is wrong. Jesus accepted a particular translation, so Jesus must be right.” Jesus also referred to the Jewish oral law as authoritative. I guess you have to accept that it is right also.
Nope, I'm back to the point that Judaism adds a lot to Scripture. I point to Jesus as accepting the Septuagint in addition to the Torah and Tanakh/Tanach, because He saw them equally valid. I'm to the point that your Scriptures can be translated into other languages and made sense of. I am to the point that Jesus is a greater authority than your religious leaders, although you don't see that. 

“Sure, go ahead, but why should I believe you or your Rabbis in the areas they do not agree with Scripture?”

Since you don’t agree with what Judaism considers “scripture” why would anyone care about what you would or would not believe?
Exactly what are you referring to? What do you classify as the all?

“I documented that it is accepted, and that it is a name. I never professed to be an authority on reading or speaking Hebrew. I go on what others have documented.”

So you can’t understand that what you copied and pasted is wrong on its face. You are relying on a black letter error but can’t understand that because you are happy in your ignorance. So noted.
Well, it remains to be seem which one of us is ignorant as to the truth.

“And I showcase that my assertions are justified by the Jewish Scriptures themselves.”

No, by your vision of what you think of as “Jewish scriptures.” Since you don’t understand actual Jewish scriptures, your assertions are wrong.

Jewish or Judaic?

“You fail to recognize the authority. They have an authority that one day you will answer to. As for the Qur'an, it contradicts the teaching of the Jewish Scriptures and Christian Scriptures. The NT does not. What the NT does is provides the fulfillment of the OT or Hebrew Scriptures. You just don't recognize that because you do not recognize your Messiah and you heap a load of interpretations onto the text of Scripture, per Jesus.”

I see the gospels as useless and contradictory to Jewish text and law, the way you see the Quran and I have no concern that in some future moment I will have to "answer" for this in anything but the best way. You fail to see these problems because you only see Jewish text through those very same gospels. The failure is yours. You start with an invented messianic notion and work backwards to justify this flawed vision.
It would be fine if you just stuck to the texts of the law and Jewish texts but you import all kinds of rabbinic interpretation to them. And why do you keep bringing up the Qur'an? I already told you I do not accept it as valid, although I do your Jewish Scriptural texts, the Torah and Tanakh. Furthermore, you claim my Messianic notion is flawed while I claim that you, as a Jew, fail to recognize your own Messiah because of your religious bias and indoctrination. 

Matthew 15:13-15
New American Standard Bible
13 But He answered and said, “Every plant which My heavenly Father did not plant will be uprooted. 14 Leave them alone; they are blind guides [a]of blind people. And if a person who is blind guides another who is blind, both will fall into a pit.”

PGA2.0
PGA2.0
-->
@rosends
Post 49, Part 1:

“[a]  The Hebrew Scriptures teach that as I pointed out with numerous verses that call them stiff-necked or disobedient. “

And that the torah laws, written and oral are eternal and binding and do not change. You sure you want to go with that?
Where did I say that the Torah laws were binding forever. I've never hung my argument on what you claim. You are putting words in my mouth, just making it up.

With the change of priesthood comes a change in laws. Thus, here is a question for you. Do you believe that the covenant God made with Moses is still in effect?

That is my point, the old covenant or Mosaic covenant system can no longer be followed as stipulated or required and agreed to. The point is that throughout the OT/Tanakh, the prophets and teachings continually refer to this covenant people as stiff-necked, rebellious people. God kept warning them if they did not repent of their sins of idolatry and adultery judgement would be brought upon them according to the curses of Deuteronomy 28. 

“[b]  I don't follow your point. The words of the prophets are the words of those who spoke the message of God, the message about what was to come.     “

Only sometimes. Sometimes they spoke of what was important to impart, or what already came and what might or might not come. The essential aspect of prophecy in Judaism is the source of the insight, not the future focus of it.
What? So, any prophecy about the future means nothing?

Yeshayahu - Isaiah - Chapter 46
9Remember the first things of old, that I am God and there is no other; I am God and there is none like Me.
טזִכְר֥וּ רִֽאשֹׁנ֖וֹת מֵֽעוֹלָ֑ם כִּ֣י אָֽנֹכִ֥י אֵל֙ וְאֵ֣ין ע֔וֹד אֱלֹהִ֖ים וְאֶ֥פֶס כָּמֽוֹנִי:

10[I] tell the end from the beginning, and from before, what was not done; [I] say, 'My counsel shall stand, and all My desire I will do.' 
ימַגִּ֚יד מֵֽרֵאשִׁית֙ אַֽחֲרִ֔ית וּמִקֶּ֖דֶם אֲשֶׁ֣ר לֹא־נַֽעֲשׂ֑וּ אֹמֵר֙ עֲצָתִ֣י תָק֔וּם וְכָל־חֶפְצִ֖י אֶֽעֱשֶֽׂה:

“The shoe fits the other way too, as evidenced by your very Hebrew Scriptures. So, it is not a question of me telling you but your very Scriptures telling you.”

Just your limited view of text.
As if yours is unlimited and authoritative. You pretend to speak as if what you say is binding. I'm not impressed. Instead, I continually bring you to God's Word. What does it say? 

“I have been arguing just that - the Jews did not understand the text or whom their Messiah was, or is. “

So there you have it. Jews got texts and had a relationship with God for a whole bunch of years, built 2 temples and thrived, but you say that Jews didn’t understand a central idea of Judaism. You realize, I hope, that there were many “messiahs” before Jesus was even born, right? And somehow, Jews recognized them just fine.
Your Scripture speaks of a specific person.

“Again, stop playing games and just list what you want to say. “

But this is so much more fun. You keep insisting stuff about Judaism but aren’t even familiar with a central verse that defines much of Jewish practice. This proves my point, again and again, that you speak from ignorance but instead of admitting you don’t know, you forge ahead.
Is this just a game to you? Is that your purpose in life, or on this thread, to make the important issues a game? Are you intentionally trying to make a fool of me. Is that your intent, or do you care about truth and conveying it? If so, present why what you believe is God's teachings from Scripture on the issues we are discussing. Do you not think Gentiles are worthy? 

“The whole point of the Messiah was that Israel could never live up to the "rules" laid down in the Law.”

Maybe that’s a Christian idea of what a messiah is. That isn’t what is found in Jewish text and law.
So you say, without anything other than your assertion. 

“The Messiah was the deliverer of Israel, appointed and anointed by God. “

Not exactly, no. Nice try, though.
I noticed that you didn’t discuss the tosefta I quoted. Why is that? Oh…you don’t know Hebrew and yet you keep making claims that are against Hebrew scripture and law. You want things in words you understand but when I put them there you say “that’s an assertion, bring proof.” The Hebrew IS THE PROOF. Your ignorance can’t stop that fact.
Why do you think that an addition to the Mishnah or the Talmud itself is on par with God's Word?

Yes, I don't know Hebrew, so you think that bars me from knowing God. You seem to think that what God said cannot be known by anyone other than those who speak Hebrew and are Jews. It is kind of like Muslims saying that only those who speak Arabic can understand the Qur'an and what it means. You seem to think that God cannot make Himself clear to anyone but a stiff-necked people who continually ignored or misinterpreted His message by adding to it a number of traditions. 

What you do is put words there that either come from your mind or some other rabbis mind, without Scriptural reference or proof of interpretation other than by the Talmud or Mishnah. So you continually bring forth what seems to me as your idea of a greater authority than God's word itself. 

Finally, you seem to think that there is nothing equivalent to the Hebrew words, so that anyone who is not Jewish and cannot speak Hebrew cannot know God. Is that the case from your very Scriptures? For instance, are you saying that the Hebrew words below do not correspond to the English translation so that we Gentiles cannot know what is being said?  

Yeshayahu - Isaiah - Chapter 42
6I am the Lord; I called you with righteousness and I will strengthen your hand; and I formed you, and I made you for a people's covenant, for a light to nations.
ואֲנִ֧י יְהֹוָ֛ה קְרָאתִ֥יךָ בְצֶ֖דֶק וְאַחְזֵ֣ק בְּיָדֶ֑ךָ וְאֶצָּרְךָ֗ וְאֶתֶּנְךָ֛ לִבְרִ֥ית עָ֖ם לְא֥וֹר גּוֹיִֽם:

Yeshayahu - Isaiah - Chapter 49
6And He said, "It is too light for you to be My servant, to establish the tribes of Jacob and to bring back the besieged of Israel, but I will make you a light of nations, so that My salvation shall be until the end of the earth." 
ווַיֹּ֗אמֶר נָקֵ֨ל מִֽהְיֽוֹתְךָ֥ לִי֙ עֶ֔בֶד לְהָקִים֙ אֶת־שִׁבְטֵ֣י יַֽעֲקֹ֔ב וּנְצוּרֵ֥י (כתיב וּנְציּרֵ֥י) יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל לְהָשִׁ֑יב וּנְתַתִּ֙יךָ֙ לְא֣וֹר גּוֹיִ֔ם לִֽהְי֥וֹת יְשֽׁוּעָתִ֖י עַד־קְצֵ֥ה הָאָֽרֶץ:

You seem to think that God, who made humanity in His image and likeness, has no compassion for the Gentiles at all, ever. But what do those verses above say? 

What about Jeremiah 31? Will He not establish a new covenant with the house of Jacob and Israel that includes the nations of the earth? 

“Not the sin offering. It was different from the burnt offering, peace offering, trespass offering, or meal offering. It was a bull, goat, or lamb, depending on who sinned.”

So you are saying that a flour offering didn’t expiate sin? Have you even read Lev 5:11?
That is true!!!

So, could you afford a bull, goat, or lamb, according to your position, such as that of a ruler, or rabbi, the latter being an anointed class? If so, why would you present a lesser offering? Is your God not worthy of the greater (heaven forbid)?

“Yes, I'm sure you can, and I invite you to do so, according to the way you understand Isaiah 53 as the nation of Israel. I will then show you why your interpretation does not work. I'm letting you know - go ahead.”

Books have been written on this. I’ll refer you to 2 websites because it is faster than showing you verses in Hebrew and grammar you can’t understand. https://uriyosef.wordpress.com/2020/03/19/who-is-the-suffering-servant-in-isaiah-53-part-i-the-jewish-interpretation-valid-or-not-2/
https://www.drazin.com/index07b1.html?12._The_Suffering_Servant
There are plenty of others.
I will get back to you on this section, as soon as I have considered it and a suitable response. 
Tradesecret
Tradesecret
-->
@Stephen
Yes, I studied in an university which had a variety of different religious figures. 

It is none of your business.  
You  make it the business of others from the moment that you declared freely  your back story to the www that now all of a sudden includes being tutored in Hebrew by a Hebrew among your other claims to fame. No doubt you will complain about what it is that YOU have freely chosen to reveal about yourself at a later date. you just can't help yourself. I have told you, when one of your other personas makes these claims on your behalf they will always fall back on you, the Reverend "Tradey" Tradesecrete.

I don't believe there is anything irrational about my own beliefs where these ambiguous half stories that make up the scriptures are concerned. You believe that a three days old  rotten stinking corpse rose from the dead, I don't. I have never witnessed this alleged phenomena and neither have you. Yet you question the minds of those those that don't believe it and their "irrationality"? 

And so am I until something causes me to change my world view.  And it is not your "world view" that I am bringing into question is it thicko?  No.  What I bring into question are these unreliable ambiguous half stories that go to make up the scriptures.

Please just keep to the topic. You know it is against the rules to derail people's threads with your personal vendettas.  
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@Tradesecret
Please just keep to the topic. You know it is against the rules to derail people's threads with your personal vendettas.  

You were the one that brought "irrationality" into the mix, princess. Not me.

You are the one that brought your own "world view" into the mix princess. Not me.

You were the one that brought your own tutoring in "Hebrew by a Hebrew " into the mix princess. Not me.

Tradesecret wrote: In order for me to study Hebrew, I needed a teacher. That he was a Hebrew was a bonus. 

Odd that you also call your learned teacher "A Hebrew" .  Let that sink in for a while Reverend "Tradey" Tradesecrete.

your personal vendettas. 

Against whom? Are you playing victim again, Reverend "Tradey" Tradesecrete?

You are the one that insists on freely bringing in your own personal qualifications and status into many arguments and discussions in the wild belief that they somehow give you some-kind of authority over all other members here. Well they don't. You have shown us frequently how bible ignorant you really are, would you like some examples, Reverend "Tradey" Tradesecrete?

Get well soon Reverend "Tradey" Tradesecrete ... all three of you.

Tradesecret
Tradesecret
-->
@Stephen
Odd that you also call your learned teacher "A Hebrew"
I agree it was odd. And as I reading it later - I thought why did I use that term? Still, Rosends knew what I intended to say.  So I am not sure what else we can read into it. 

Tradesecret
Tradesecret
-->
@Stephen
Pointing out that you are a bully and have personal vendettas is not being a victim. It is calling you out as a bully and personal.  

The fact is - you have been well and truly beaten up over a long period - and the only way you feel you can score a point is by attacking people.  I can't recall the last time you actually persuasively refuted an argument.  Against anyone.  

Is that personal?  Probably, I suppose I have been watching you too long. 
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@Tradesecret
Pointing out that you are a bully and have personal vendettas is not being a victim. It is calling you out as a bully and personal.  

Who have I bullied?  How have bullied anyone?

The fact is - you have been well and truly beaten up over a long period

If that is the case, you won't see me playing the victim.

- and the only way you feel you can score a point is by attacking people. 

Who have I "attacked".And how have I "attacked" them?

So, when you are ready princess, I am sure many here would just love  to see you support those wild claims of my  bullying and personal vendettas.

Get well soon Reverend.. all three of you.

rosends
rosends
-->
@PGA2.0
Please provide a translation. I provided your texts, both the English and Hebraic sides of them for your benefit. I already told you, I do not speak or read Hebrew.

And yet you want to make arguments that require an understanding of Hebrew.

You continually refer to the Talmud and Mishnah, plus the oral law. We, as Christians, go on what is written in the Hebrew Bible. If you want to prove something to me then show/convince me via those Scriptures.

That’s great – you have just admitted that what you think of as “Jewish scriptures” and what Jews think of as “Jewish scriptures” are 2 different things, so any argument you make about Judaism which is based in YOUR version of what scriptures are is going to be wrong according to Judaism. But instead of saying “Judaism is operating under a completely different understanding of its own scripture so my assumptions about it might be wrong” you stick with “my assumptions are right and Judaism is wrong in what it says and understands and I can prove it by sticking with MY texts which Judaism rejects.”

The Mishnah and Talmud were written centuries after the fall of Jerusalem.

Not exactly. Nice try, though.

yet I distrust your understanding of the Scriptures based on all the external sources you bring to the table. You do not live under the OT system as mandated by Scripture any more.

There’s your problem again. You distrust a Jew’s understanding of Jewish scripture and you insist that you know what was mandated by scripture when you are using a different conception of what scripture is.

it is not a different religious construct from your Scriptures, I believe you just don't recognize it because of all the addition stuff you being to Scripture

You mean the way you bring additional stuff like the gospels to “scripture”?

I see your Scripture as CLEAR on meaning

You mean when you decide you get to define what is my scripture and what it means.

I have a notion of a perfect sacrifice based on ... the sacrifice was to be without blemish or spot.

So no scourge marks, offered on the altar and via the specific method of slaughter taught in Jewish law, performed by a priest? By the rules of sacrifice, Jesus could not have been one, not just because he was a human, but because the entire process doesn’t conform to the “scripture” you want to claim to follow.

The sin offering was a life taken in place of the sinner. Do you understand that?

No, because it wasn’t the case unless flour is alive and replaces a life.

why should I believe Judaism over the Scriptures?

No one cares if you believe anything in particular, but you should not be asserting that you know Jewish scripture better than Jews when you deny what Jewish scripture IS. You are a Christian. Super to you. But that doesn’t confer on you any understanding of Judaism and you like to start from the position of “because I am a Christian everything Judaism thinks it knows about its own texts is wrong because my texts tell me so.”

You use Judaism to justify the Scriptures rather than the Scriptures to justify Judaism.

No, Jews use the scriptures to help shape what Judaism is. You use the gospels to justify the validity of the gospels.

You do not recognize what the Jews did to meet the Law of Moses is works based. It is based on what you as the individual and Levite do, not solely on what God does.

This is another incredibly Christian statement and ignores most of what Judaism is. That’s fine, I guess. If you want to reduce your understanding of anything about Judaism to a set of sacrificial laws about which you know very little, then so be it.

The fact is they did until that system was abolished by God.

The system was never abolished by God. You don’t seem to want to understand this. It was given to be practiced at a certain time, at a certain place and under certain conditions. If that scenario was unavailable, other means were given. Additionally, this was only for a small section of sins – other methods were given for other sins, from the get-go.

Judaism adds a lot to Scripture

You mean like the gospels? No, that’s you. Jesus was a failed leader who misinterpreted and misapplied text while copying other ideas from Jewish scripture. That is, if anyone sees the gospels as accurate and authoritative. Which Jews don’t.

Exactly what are you referring to? What do you classify as the all?

Let me ask you a question – the Hebrew text requires that all Jewish men place “totafot” on their head. Do you know what totafot are? How is it that I do? The text explicitly states that animals are to be slaughtered according to the laws that God taught. Can you show me where those laws are taught? I know where – do you?

Well, it remains to be seem which one of us is ignorant as to the truth.

About the pronunciation of a Hebrew word? You don’t read Hebrew and insist that I am wrong in how a word is pronounced.

It would be fine if you just stuck to the texts of the law and Jewish texts but you import all kinds of rabbinic interpretation to them.

Since you don’t know the Jewish texts, how can you claim anything about the nature of what I bring up?
And why do you keep bringing up the Qur'an? I already told you I do not accept it as valid, although I do your Jewish Scriptural texts, the Torah and Tanakh.

The same way you deny the validity of the Quran, I deny the validity of the gospels. You might say “but that’s different” and any Muslim on the planet would say “um…no, it isn’t.” And, again, since you don’t know what Jewish scriptures are, you can’t say you accept them as valid. You accept the texts and versions you personally think fit into your worldview. Anything else, you relegate to assertions or interpretations.

you claim my Messianic notion is flawed while I claim that you, as a Jew, fail to recognize your own Messiah because of your religious bias and indoctrination.

Because the text names many messiahs and explains their job and yet you claim something totally non-textual about what the messiah is and does. And then, oh look…to support your assertion you quote from another of your books of fiction.