The implicit Resurrection within the Jewish system

Author: Tradesecret

Total: 140
rosends
Debates: 0
rosends
-->
@ethang5
This is a function of how you interpret, not Judaism. In the Jewish understanding, the verses speak of the body after suffering but not death, or the soul after death. There is no mention of resurrection. Can you show me that idea within the Jewish system or is it just an idea that you think is the only explanation so you assume it must be from the Jewish system? 
ethang5
Debates: 1
ethang5
-->
@rosends
You have it backwards. It is scripture that defines the doctrine, not the doctrine that defines scripture. Judiasm does not define Job. Job defines Judiasm.

The idea is in scripture, and if Judiasm departs from that, then it is in error.

Job 19:27 - Whom I shall see for myself, and mine eyes shall behold, and not another; though my reins be consumed within me.

This is possible only if Job is resurrected after he dies.

Same as when David said he and his dead child would be reunited one day. Only possible with resurrection. Your allegiance seems to be more to the system (the law) than to the law giver. No system is superior to scripture.
rosends
rosends
-->
@ethang5
You have a mistaken understanding. The section of texts called "Writings" (in which Job is found) were written within an already extant construct of religion so their meaning has to fall in line with that idea. Understanding is informed by the structure -- the writings do not create the structure. Now, while resurrection (as I have said) might be found within Judaism as a structure, it is not found in those lines unless one reads in a theological interpretation which is not part of Judaism.

Your interpretation of 19:27 as reincarnation requires you to find the idea of death in the previous verses but it isn't there. The Jewish tradition discusses these verses not in regards to resurrection but justice after suffering. If you find resurrection in this then that's fine for you. If you find, in that realization that you must see Judaism as in error, then good for you (your particular opinion of Judaism doesn't change Judaism at all). But to impute the idea of resurrection to Judaism in these verses, through your non-Jewish understanding is incorrect.
ethang5
ethang5
-->
@rosends
The excuse shield of non- judiasm is not as protective as you imagine.

The section of texts called "Writings" (in which Job is found) were written within an already extant construct of religion so their meaning has to fall in line with that idea.
Untrue. How would you know this? It is clear from the text that Job's friends did not share any already existing "construct" of religion as they disagreed fundamentally on doctrine.

Now, while resurrection (as I have said) might be found within Judaism as a structure, it is not found in those lines unless one reads in a theological interpretation which is not part of Judaism.
It is found in those lines. And the fact there are Jews who acknowledge this is proof. There is no reasonable criteria that says common language can only be understood by Jews.

For I know that the one who has redeemed me  lives, and that he shall stand at the end day upon the earth:

And though after my death, worms destroy this body, yet in my flesh shall I see God:

Whom I shall see for myself, and mine eyes shall behold, and not another; though I have died and my body rotted already.

I'm saying nothing about Judiasm, but the idea IS in the text, whether Judiasm follows the text is their business, but their particular opinion of Judaism doesn't change scripture at all.
rosends
rosends
-->
@ethang5
Untrue. How would you know this? It is clear from the text that Job's friends did not share any already existing "construct" of religion as they disagreed fundamentally on doctrine.

No, true, because it is a belief from within the Jewish system about the texts of what are called K'tuvim, "Writings." There are different functions for the three sections of the Jewish written bible and each one has a purpose and limitations. Again, your understanding of what is going on in Job is fine, but it stands outside of the Jewish system. Why would you continue to be so arrogant as to insist that your beliefs about Judaism are actually what Judaism is?

I'm saying nothing about Judiasm, but the idea IS in the text, whether Judiasm follows the text is their business, but their particular opinion of Judaism doesn't change scripture at all.

But you are and that's the problem. The purpose of this thread was a claim that resurrection could be found in the Jewish system as evidenced by particular texts. When you present this text within this thread, you are claiming that this is proof that something is true (as per the title) "within the Jewish system." The idea may be in how YOU read the text but it isn't in how Judaism reads it. And, by the way, words like "death" and "worms" and "destroy" are not in the verse you cite. They are interpolations added by the translation you chose. I can go through the Hebrew if you would like so you can see precisely what he words say and you will see how the translation you presented added in words that are not there. Your vision of the meaning here has nothing to do with the Jewish system.

If you want to start a whole new thread called "where can one find resurrection in the Old Testament" then fine, do that and put in whatever you find and it can be discussed. It can be discussed as a cause or effect of a theologically driven agenda, it can be discussed as it relates to the specific words (and what can also be discussed is whether the specific word choices drive meaning, or are driven by a necessity of meaning), and it can be discussed in any way you want. I'll applaud it and celebrate it. I won't participate, of course, because my focus is on Judaism, not anyone else's understanding of some English version of texts as seen through the lens of other beliefs. 
ethang5
ethang5
-->
@rosends
Why would you continue to be so arrogant as to insist that your beliefs about Judaism are actually what Judaism is?
I made no comment about what Judiasm is. I showed what scripture clearly says. The doctrine of resurrection is in the text, regardless of what some Jews say.

But you are and that's the problem. The purpose of this thread was a claim that resurrection could be found in the Jewish system as evidenced by particular texts. When you present this text within this thread, you are claiming that this is proof that something is true (as per the title) "within the Jewish system."
Exactly correct. That you view this as a "problem" is of no concern to me.

The idea may be in how YOU read the text but it isn't in how Judaism reads it. And, by the way, words like "death" and "worms" and "destroy" are not in the verse you cite. They are interpolations added by the translation you chose.
They are translations, not interpolations.

I can go through the Hebrew if you would like so you can see precisely what he words say and you will see how the translation you presented added in words that are not there. Your vision of the meaning here has nothing to do with the Jewish system.
As I told you, your constant excuse of "you aren't a Jew" has worn thin. Both Jews and non use the same modes of communication. The idea of a resurrection is expressed several times in the OT by Jewish characters in the OT.

We have the same thing in Christianity. There are some sects who deny what's clearly in the texts. Like in your case, that doesn't change the text, and the excuse, "you're not a JW/Mormon/Scientologist/SDA/etc, is not a viable defense.

...my focus is on Judaism, not anyone else's understanding of some English version of texts as seen through the lens of other beliefs. 
Your focus seems to have been lost. I too am not interested in anyone else's understanding of any version of texts as seen through the lens of their beliefs. My focus remains on reality.
rosends
rosends
-->
@ethang5
I made no comment about what Judiasm is. I showed what scripture clearly says. The doctrine of resurrection is in the text, regardless of what some Jews say.

You are commenting in a thread specifically about the Jewish system and showing what you believe the scripture says. Those are two different positions.

That you view this as a "problem" is of no concern to me.

If you don't see straying from the named topic of a thread as a problem then so be it. I try to stick with what the topic is supposed to be. It would seem silly to go into a thread about soccer and discuss baseball but if you see that as what is appropriate on this board then I'm glad to understand that now.

They are translations, not interpolations.

No, as your text inserted words that are not in the original. That makes them interpolations -- insertions, and not translations.

your constant excuse of "you aren't a Jew" has worn thin. Both Jews and non use the same modes of communication. The idea of a resurrection is expressed several times in the OT by Jewish characters in the OT.

"Worn thin" to whom? To you? So what? Your speaking outside the scope of this thread has worn thin to me but that doesn't bother you. Go figure. And my concern isn't that you aren't a Jew. I don't know that you aren't a Jew. All I know is that you are imputing to Judaism a position on particular texts which is not in line with Judaism's view of those texts. That resurrection is explicitly mentioned in Judaic texts is no innovation. It is just that Judaism doesn't understand this particular text as being one that invokes the idea of resurrection.

I too am not interested in anyone else's understanding of any version of texts as seen through the lens of their beliefs. My focus remains on reality.

Great. Then your statement of your particular interpretation of the texts on a thread about the Jewish system is irrelevant to anyone who wants to stay focused on the titular topic, but you see that as a reasonable approach to discussion. I do not. Best of luck to you pursuing your personal area of interest.
ethang5
ethang5
-->
@rosends
No, as your text inserted words that are not in the original. That makes them interpolations -- insertions, and not translations.
My text was in English, not Hebrew. Of course none of those English words are in the original Hebrew. That is what translations do.

"Worn thin" to whom? To you?
Yes.

So what?
I just won't accept it as an excuse anymore. You can repeat it if course, and you most likely will, but now you'll know why I dismiss it.

It is just that Judaism doesn't understand this particular text as being one that invokes the idea of resurrection.
You mean your particular brand of Judiasm.

Then your statement of your particular interpretation of the texts on a thread about the Jewish system is irrelevant to anyone who wants to stay focused on the titular topic,...
Any person thinking that way would not be responding to my posts.
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@rosends

You are commenting in a thread specifically about the Jewish system and showing what you believe the scripture says. Those are two different positions.

He's far too much of a dunce to realise this never mind admit it, Rosi.  He will just argue the Christian stance on resurrection in a thread strictly concerning
"the Jewish system " as per thread title.

rosends
rosends
-->
@ethang5
You mean your particular brand of Judiasm.

Yes, this is very true. As I am an orthodox rabbi, I can really only speak about the ideas implicit within orthodox Judaism. If you have insight into another branch of Judaism, and can show that it, as a matter not of a singular person's interpretation, but of branch philosophy and stated dogma, teaches that these verses are read to point to resurrection, I would love to hear about it. Thanks in advance.
rosends
rosends
-->
@Stephen
I admit, I'm still relatively new to this site so I'm not sure of the formal rules about sticking to the topic in the title. For all I know, that's an unreasonable expectation so I shouldn't be pointing it out. I just understood this thread to be about a claim regarding Judaism and where within Jewish understanding can one find sources for resurrection as a theological position.
ethang5
ethang5
-->
@rosends
Yes, this is very true.
Thank you.

As I am an orthodox rabbi,
So you remind us every chance you get...

I can really only speak about the ideas implicit within orthodox Judaism. 
That doesn't mean what you speak is correct. Your status as Rabbi does not confer to your comments, automatic correctness. You are required, like everyone else, to be unbiased and logical.

If you have insight into another branch of Judaism,..
I have insight into the text in question.
rosends
rosends
-->
@ethang5
Though I don't remind anyone of anything at every chance (for example, I have posted on this thread many times and have not reminded anyone of anything regarding my background in most situations so your blanket claim is wrong) when it is a relevant point I mention it.

As to your other claim that my status does not make me "correct," I never claimed it did. However it does mean I have the requisite knowledge to represent the codified teachings of a larger group and not simply state a personal belief.

Your statement that "I have insight into the text in question" does not answer what I asked. 

335 days later

Shila
Shila
-->
@rosends
Though I don't remind anyone of anything at every chance (for example, I have posted on this thread many times and have not reminded anyone of anything regarding my background in most situations so your blanket claim is wrong) when it is a relevant point I mention it.

As to your other claim that my status does not make me "correct," I never claimed it did. However it does mean I have the requisite knowledge to represent the codified teachings of a larger group and not simply state a personal belief.

Your statement that "I have insight into the text in question" does not answer what I asked.
You are right resurrection is a Christian concept.

By rejecting Jesus who preached resurrection the Jews clung on to Judaism.
rosends
rosends
-->
@Shila
actually, I said that it is explicit in Judaism (check post 97). If you read through this thread you will see that my position is that the claim isn't evidenced by the texts cited in the original post, not that the concept isn't in Judaism.
Shila
Shila
-->
@rosends
You are right resurrection is a Christian concept.

By rejecting Jesus who preached resurrection the Jews clung on to Judaism.

actually, I said that it is explicit in Judaism (check post 97). If you read through this thread you will see that my position is that the claim isn't evidenced by the texts cited in the original post, not that the concept isn't in Judaism.
Among Orthodox Jews, belief in the resurrection is still generally understood as a literal prophecy that will come to fruition when the messiah comes.

So until then resurrection is a Christian concept.
Whereas in Judaism it is still an unfulfilled prophecy.

rosends
rosends
-->
@Shila
Among Orthodox Jews, belief in the resurrection is still generally understood as a literal prophecy that will come to fruition when the messiah comes.
yes, that makes it a concept within Judaism. Thank you.

No, until then it is still a Jewish concept that Christianity lifted when it tried to appropriate Jewish concepts.

In Christianity it is still an unfulfilled prophecy also unless you see Jesus as being alive again. Is your argument that an idea within a system isn't a concept? 

Though, in Jewish texts there are tales of resurrection (such as 2 Kings 13), so that would make it something which happened within the Jewish system and therefore not only a prophecy of the future.

Your use of "concept" is very unclear. The fact that there has not yet been a 3rd temple built (something that Jews pray for every day) means that there is no "concept" of the 3rd temple in Judaism? That's absurd.
Shila
Shila

yes, that makes it a concept within Judaism. Thank you.

No, until then it is still a Jewish concept that Christianity lifted when it tried to appropriate Jewish concepts.

In Christianity it is still an unfulfilled prophecy also unless you see Jesus as being alive again. Is your argument that an idea within a system isn't a concept? 

Though, in Jewish texts there are tales of resurrection (such as 2 Kings 13), so that would make it something which happened within the Jewish system and therefore not only a prophecy of the future.

Your use of "concept" is very unclear. The fact that there has not yet been a 3rd temple built (something that Jews pray for every day) means that there is no "concept" of the 3rd temple in Judaism? That's absurd.
The resurrection was confirmed when Jesus appeared to the disciples after his burial. Resurrection is at the heart of Christianity.

A concept is an abstract idea 
A prophecy is a prediction.

The Christian’s shifted from resurrection as a concept to a realized promise in Jesus’s resurrection.

Whereas the Jews still view resurrection as an abstract prediction. Even though Jesus fulfilled the messianic promises.
rosends
rosends
-->
@Shila
So when in Kings a man is resurrected it became an actual thing in Judaism, well before Jesus was born, died and failed to fulfill anything akin to the role of messiah for so, so many reasons. And if Jesus was resurrected then he already had a second coming and failed twice. Great job.

And, yes, a prediction incorporates a concept. One cannot predict something which isn't an idea, so in Judaism, resurrection is a concept, the subject of many prophecies. You need to learn how to use words correctly. 
Shila
Shila
-->
@rosends
So when in Kings a man is resurrected it became an actual thing in Judaism, well before Jesus was born, died and failed to fulfill anything akin to the role of messiah for so, so many reasons. And if Jesus was resurrected then he already had a second coming and failed twice. Great job.

And, yes, a prediction incorporates a concept. One cannot predict something which isn't an idea, so in Judaism, resurrection is a concept, the subject of many prophecies. You need to learn how to use words correctly. 
The world has moved on from Judaism.
Judaism never worked for the Jews.  See 3000 years o& antisemitism. Today Jews hold a minority view on religion.

Even Jesus declared the Jews lost.

Matthew 15:24 He answered, “I was sent only to the lost sheep of Israel.”

rosends
rosends
-->
@Shila
Judaism still works for the Jews. And quoting a text which has no value to Jews in order to "prove" some claim about Jews is useless.
Shila
Shila
-->
@rosends
Judaism still works for the Jews. And quoting a text which has no value to Jews in order to "prove" some claim about Jews is useless.

Rank Religion Members
1. Christianity 2.3 billion
2. Islam 1.8 billion
3. Unaffiliated 1.2 billion
4. Hinduism 1.1 billion
5. Buddhism 500 million
6. Folk religions 400 million
7. Other religions 100 million
8. Judaism 10 million

Israel’s future
Because the ancient Israelites went into captivity for their sins and lost their national prominence, many have wondered what lies ahead for their descendants. Actually, the Bible reveals that there remains a bright future for these peoples.

When Christ returns to earth and sets up the Kingdom of God, He will restore a repentant Israel to its position of leadership in the world (Isaiah 11:12; 14:1-2). A humbled, obedient people will then serve in the capacity God intended for them.

rosends
rosends
-->
@Shila
When Christ returns to earth and sets up the Kingdom of God, He will restore a repentant Israel to its position of leadership in the world (Isaiah 11:12; 14:1-2). A humbled, obedient people will then serve in the capacity God intended for them.
I checked. No mention of Jesus there. We don't need his help. Try again.
Shila
Shila
-->
@rosends

I checked. No mention of Jesus there. We don't need his help. Try again.
First there has to be acknowledgment followed by humility, obedience then repentance. 
Looking at Jewish history. Jews achieve atonement by animal sacrifice and the shedding of blood in the Temple.
But that is no longer possible after the Romans destroyed the temple in 70AD.

Imaging the collective guilt and sin carried by the Jewish people since?

You mentioned the Jews have  been in exile ever since (70AD). We can understand the resentment Jews have towards Jesus. He was sent to save the Jews but failed as much as the blame rest on the Jews for rejecting Jesus.
Christians are expecting Jesus to return to complete the great rapture and reunification.

You just cancelled the Jews again by declaring, “We don't need his help. Try again.”

Are you suggesting a third attempt might be need by Jesus just for the Jews because the spiritually unwashed Jews need more time to repent having lost the ability to seek atonement through animal sacrifice?
rosends
rosends
-->
@Shila

Looking at Jewish history. Jews achieve atonement by animal sacrifice and the shedding of blood in the Temple.
ooh, swing and a miss.

none because your presupposition is wrong. Strike two.

We can understand the resentment Jews have towards Jesus.
resentment? I say we giggle.

He was sent to save the Jews but failed as much as the blame rest on the Jews for rejecting Jesus.
well, he did fail, I'll give you that. Sad that so many people were forced to glom onto a failure.

You just cancelled the Jews again by declaring, “We don't need his help. Try again.”
it doesn't cancel Jews to say that hjews don't need Jesus. It cancels Jesus. Try to keep up.

Are you suggesting a third attempt might be need by Jesus just for the Jews because the spiritually unwashed Jews need more time to repent having lost the ability to seek atonement through animal sacrifice?
A third attempt? So you are admitting he failed twice? And yet you still hitch your horses to that? And again, you don't understand biblical atonement, so strike three.
Shila
Shila
-->
@rosends

ooh, swing and a miss.
For all intents and purposes, the Jewish practice of animal sacrifice ended in AD 70, the year that the Romans destroyed the temple in Jerusalem. With the temple gone, there is no longer a place for the sacrifices to be offered according to the Mosaic Law (see Deuteronomy 12:13–14). Repeatedly in the Old Testament, the point is made that sacrifices were required to make atonement for sin (e.g., Exodus 29:36; Leviticus 4:31; 9:7; 14:19; 15:15; Numbers 15:25). The shedding of blood is what consecrated things and people to the Lord (Leviticus 16:19; cf. Hebrews 9:22).

With no blood sacrifice today, the Jews have no lawful way of atoning for their sin. Passover is still observed, but without the sacrifice. Yom Kippur (the Day of Atonement) is still on the calendar, but there is never an offering made for sin. The stipulations of the Mosaic Law remain unchanged, but the Jewish people cannot make things right with God—they cannot find forgiveness—without an animal sacrifice.

He was sent to save the Jews but failed as much as the blame rest on the Jews for rejecting Jesus.

well, he did fail, I'll give you that. Sad that so many people were forced to glom onto a failure.

it doesn't cancel Jews to say that hjews don't need Jesus. It cancels Jesus. Try to keep up.

The fact remains that there is no forgiveness without the shedding of blood (Hebrews 9:22). The animal sacrifices of the Old Covenant have been replaced by the once-for-all sacrifice for sin given by Jesus, the Messiah. As Jesus established the New Covenant, He “died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant” (Hebrews 9:15).

A third attempt? So you are admitting he failed twice? And yet you still hitch your horses to that? And again, you don't understand biblical atonement, so strike three.
Biblical atonement.

Theological usage of the term “atonement” refers to a cluster of ideas in the Old Testament that center on the cleansing of impurity (which needs to be done to prevent God from leaving the Temple), and to New Testament notions that “Christ died for our sins” (1 Corinthians 15:3) and that “we were reconciled to God .

The Old Testament term of atonement the Jews followed  that center on the cleansing of impurity (which needs to be done to prevent God from leaving the Temple) is no longer possible. God left the Temple after it was destroyed in 70AD.

The jews are left without a solution.

Whereas Christians adapted to New Testament notions that “Christ died for our sins” (1 Corinthians 15:3) and that “we were reconciled to God .

Unless the Jews plan to crucify Jesus upon his return again, there will be no need for a third attempt by Jesus to return just for the Jews because the spiritually unwashed Jews need more time to repent having lost the ability to seek atonement through animal sacrifice?

I wonder what is left for a Rabbi to teach when all of the major denominations of Judaism (Orthodox, Conservative, Reform, and Reconstructionist) have rejected Messianic Judaism as a form of Judaism. And by doing so denied the Jews the promises of the messianic period in the Hebrew Bible.

rosends
rosends
-->
@Shila
For all intents and purposes, the Jewish practice of animal sacrifice ended in AD 70, the year that the Romans destroyed the temple in Jerusalem. With the temple gone, there is no longer a place for the sacrifices to be offered according to the Mosaic Law (see Deuteronomy 12:13–14). Repeatedly in the Old Testament, the point is made that sacrifices were required to make atonement for sin (e.g., Exodus 29:36; Leviticus 4:31; 9:7; 14:19; 15:15; Numbers 15:25). The shedding of blood is what consecrated things and people to the Lord (Leviticus 16:19; cf. Hebrews 9:22).

With no blood sacrifice today, the Jews have no lawful way of atoning for their sin. Passover is still observed, but without the sacrifice. Yom Kippur (the Day of Atonement) is still on the calendar, but there is never an offering made for sin. The stipulations of the Mosaic Law remain unchanged, but the Jewish people cannot make things right with God—they cannot find forgiveness—without an animal sacrifice.

So you don't understand Jewish law. Got it. You realize that the biblical text provides other methods of atonement, right? And that even in biblical times, animal sacrifices were only one option, and only accounted for a specific and limited section of sins No, no you don't. Your ignorance is pretty standard though -- people regurgitate little soundbites that they are fed by equally ignorant people and delude themselves into thinking that they know something. Newsflash -- you don't.

Theological usage of the term “atonement” refers to a cluster of ideas in the Old Testament that center on the cleansing of impurity (which needs to be done to prevent God from leaving the Temple), and to New Testament notions that “Christ died for our sins” (1 Corinthians 15:3) and that “we were reconciled to God .
Oh look -- you are trying to support your misundersatnding of Judaism by quoting non-Judaic texts. How refreshingly useless!
I wonder what is left for a Rabbi to teach when all of the major denominations of Judaism (Orthodox, Conservative, Reform, and Reconstructionist) have rejected Messianic Judaism as a form of Judaism. And by doing so denied the Jews the promises of the messianic period in the Hebrew Bible.
You wonder because you don't understand Judaism at all. Why you are so proud to parade your ignorance is the real mystery. I can't wait for you to repeat exactly what you wrote again, as if that will change anything.
Shila
Shila
-->
@rosends

ooh, swing and a miss.

The fact remains that there is no forgiveness without the shedding of blood (Hebrews 9:22). The animal sacrifices of the Old Covenant have been replaced by the once-for-all sacrifice for sin given by Jesus, the Messiah. As Jesus established the New Covenant, He “died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant” (Hebrews 9:15).

Biblical atonement.

The Old Testament term of atonement the Jews followed  that center on the cleansing of impurity (which needs to be done to prevent God from leaving the Temple) is no longer possible. God left the Temple after it was destroyed in 70AD.

The jews are left without a solution.

Whereas Christians adapted to New Testament notions that “Christ died for our sins” (1 Corinthians 15:3) and that “we were reconciled to God .

Unless the Jews plan to crucify Jesus upon his return again, there will be no need for a third attempt by Jesus to return just for the Jews because the spiritually unwashed Jews need more time to repent having lost the ability to seek atonement through animal sacrifice?

You wonder because you don't understand Judaism at all. Why you are so proud to parade your ignorance is the real mystery. I can't wait for you to repeat exactly what you wrote again, as if that will change anything.
But you do being a Rabbi and you also confirm the Jews still reject Jesus as their promised messiah.
One can only see Judaism as having failed the Jews who are living on land a fraction of what it’s Arab Muslim neighbours own. Arabs own land 650 times the size of Israel.

What have the Jews done with their covenant with God? The majority of Jews live in exile.
Even according to Israeli archeologists  and historian Israel Finkelstein.

From another archeologist Israel Finkelstein.

Exodus never happened and the walls of Jericho did not come a-tumbling down. How archaeologists are shaking Israel to its biblical foundations.

Israel Finkelstein, chairman of the Archaeology Department at Tel Aviv University, with archaeology historian Neil Asher Silberman, has just published a book called "The Bible Unearthed: Archaeology's New Vision of Ancient Israel and the Origin of Its Sacred Text."

"The Israelites were never in Egypt, did not wander in the desert, did not conquer the land [of Canaan] in a military campaign and did not pass it on to the twelve tribes of Israel. Perhaps even harder to swallow is the fact that the united kingdom of David and Solomon, described in the Bible as a regional power, was at most a small tribal kingdom."

Jerusalem was essentially a cow town, not the glorious capital of an empire. These findings have been accepted by the majority of biblical scholars and archaeologists for years and even decades.

The tales of the patriarchs -- Abraham, Isaac and Joseph among others -- were the first to go when biblical scholars found those passages rife with anachronisms and other inconsistencies. The story of Exodus, one of the most powerful epics of enslavement, courage and liberation in human history, also slipped from history to legend when archaeologists could no longer ignore the lack of corroborating contemporary Egyptian accounts and the absence of evidence of large encampments in the Sinai Peninsula ("the wilderness" where Moses brought the Israelites after leading them through the parted Red Sea).

Finkelstein is an iconoclast. He established his reputation in part by developing a theory about the settlement patterns of the nomadic shepherd tribes who would eventually become the Israelites, bolstering the growing consensus that they were originally indistinguishable from the rest of their neighbors, the Canaanites. This overturns a key element in the Bible: The Old Testament depicts the Israelites as superior outsiders -- descended from Abraham, a Mesopotamian immigrant -- entitled by divine order to invade Canaan and exterminate its unworthy, idolatrous inhabitants.

The famous battle of Jericho, with which the Israelites supposedly launched this campaign of conquest after wandering for decades in the desert, has been likewise debunked: The city of Jericho didn't exist at that time and had no walls to come tumbling down. These assertions are all pretty much accepted by mainstream archaeologists.

Marcus says that Finkelstein is "difficult to dismiss because he's so much an insider in terms of his credentials and background. He's an archaeologist, not a theologian, and he is an Israeli. It's hard to say that someone who was born in Israel and intends to live the rest of his life there is anti-Israeli."

More can be found in Shlomo Sand, “Invention of the Jewish People.”

rosends
rosends
But you do being a Rabbi and you also confirm the Jews still reject Jesus as their promised messiah.
Yes, because he wasn't. 

One can only see Judaism as having failed the Jews who are living on land a fraction of what it’s Arab Muslim neighbours own. Arabs own land 650 times the size of Israel.
No, one can see Judaism as having succeeded, living in palces all around the world. I'm not sure what you consider "success". First you look at number of adherents and yet you admit that there are more Hindus that Chisitians so by that metric Christianity is a failure. Then you look at a little bit of geography but Vatican city os tine.

What have the Jews done with their covenant with God? The majority of Jews live in exile.
We have continued that covenant. Yes, we are in exile. And Jesus is dead. 

I dealt with the Finkelstein issue in another thread. Your fixation with him (and with not reading things, and with repeating content) is noted.
Shila
Shila
-->
@rosends

Yes, because he wasn't. 

No, one can see Judaism as having succeeded, living in palces all around the world. I'm not sure what you consider "success". First you look at number of adherents and yet you admit that there are more Hindus that Chisitians so by that metric Christianity is a failure. Then you look at a little bit of geography but Vatican city os tine.
We have continued that covenant. Yes, we are in exile. And Jesus is dead. 

I dealt with the Finkelstein issue in another thread. Your fixation with him (and with not reading things, and with repeating content) is noted.

The ancient Jews never contributed to science,  Medicine, mathematics and even their religion is suspect. They were a tribal group struggling for survival when Egypt was a dominant empire in the Middle East.
But they did produce Jesus a Jew with strong convictions about an alternate reality. Unfortunately the Jews rejected Jesus and Jesus showered his blessings on the followers of his New Covenant.

If the past is prologue. The Jewish exiles with continue.