Elite debates league

Author: DebateArt.com

Total: 46
ethang5
Debates: 1
ethang5
Let each successive member be passed by the vote of current members. The vote of current members who do not vote on an applying candidate in a certain amount of time become "yes" so that absent members do not hold up an application.

Elite members should have a culling vote every 3 to 6 months to get rid of  those who have
1. Not debated
2. Knowingly Invited in rubbish
3. Refused to vote on applications
4. Refused valid applications for inadequate reasons
5. Etc

The group should be really elite. High standards. Judgments by a majority of members is final. Kicked out elites must wait 3 months to re-apply for membership.

Separate HOF for elite debates and members.
Earth
Debates: 4
Earth
We shouldn't be having this thread when there haven't been many good debates.
Castin
Debates: 0
Castin
I can't believe you people aren't satisfied with such high brow debate material as "ducks are most dangerous animal, they mind control people to give them bread".
Smithereens
Debates: 2
Smithereens
Did we learn nothing from the DDO elite my friends? 

This is a smashing idea. 100% support.
Castin
Castin
I get to call you all elitists after this, right?
Raltar
Raltar
So, troll debates and chronic forfeits are a legitimate problem right now, but this is still a relatively new site. I personally would expect things to stabilize over time. 

The problem I see with setting up a separate "elite" category, is that when you take the competent and serious debaters out of the pool with the "regular" folks, then the net IQ of the pool drops dramatically. New users won't be able to find anyone worthwhile to debate in the "regular" pool, and because they lack an opportunity to display their skills, they won't be able to get into the "elite" group either. Over time, this would stagnate both groups.

I think a simpler approach would be to just make a few minor changes to the current pool of debaters to cut down on the "troll" debates and better highlight the serious folks. 

1. Remove new accounts from the leaderboard. New users wouldn't be visible until they complete one debate and have their ranking altered from the default starting position. 

2. Allow open challenges to specify both a minimum and maximum ranking requirement. Just setting your minimum requirement to 1501 would prevent random noobs from accepting the debate. But putting an upper limit on the debate as well would prevent significantly higher ranked debaters from beating down less experienced debaters who want someone closer to their own rank. 

3. Don't give people easy wins off of "Full forfeit" debates. I won't name names, but a lot of folks who currently have multiple wins got them merely for showing up when no actual debate took place.

4. Allow people to tag their own debates as "troll" debates and don't include those in the ranking system. Obviously not everyone will openly admit when they are trolling, but even offering the option may help to filter out some of the more obvious material. 

I think the above four changes would help a lot and involve much less effort than setting up a whole new "elite" category.

RationalMadman
Debates: 562
RationalMadman
-->
@Raltar
Don't agree at all to any of your suggestion. It is weak players being able to enjoy the game and feel good that enables good players to profit.
Raltar
Raltar
Although I guess what I'm really saying is...

Please don't leave me here with the atheist conspiracy theorist and the guy who wants three dicks!
DebateArt.com
DebateArt.com
-->
@Raltar
2. Allow open challenges to specify both a minimum and maximum ranking requirement. Just setting your minimum requirement to 1501 would prevent random noobs from accepting the debate. But putting an upper limit on the debate as well would prevent significantly higher ranked debaters from beating down less experienced debaters who want someone closer to their own rank. 
I think adding a setting for the max rating is a good idea. And we already have the min rating setting. 

RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@DebateArt.com
Hahahahaha yes please, it will make noobsniping able to happen in reverse (me creating) yummy
DebateArt.com
DebateArt.com
-->
@RationalMadman
What's noobsniping?
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@DebateArt.com
When I win against you.
Castin
Castin
-->
@DebateArt.com
It's when an experienced debater targets a new and inexperienced debater for an easy win. It and other debate jargon is listed in bish's handy thread.

DebateArt.com
DebateArt.com
-->
@Castin
Oh, thanks a lot! I guess setting the max rating could address this issue to some extent. 
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@DebateArt.com
I will do it better than they do. ;)
ethang5
Debates: 1
ethang5
-->
@Raltar
The problem I see with setting up a separate "elite" category, is that when you take the competent and serious debaters out of the pool with the "regular" folks, then the net IQ of the pool drops dramatically. New users won't be able to find anyone worthwhile to debate in the "regular" pool, and because they lack an opportunity to display their skills, they won't be able to get into the "elite" group either. Over time, this would stagnate both groups.
The way I understood it, elite debaters would still be able to debate anyone, even regular debaters. It would be use of the elite board that would be exclusive, not elite members. So the regular board would not be "losing" the best debaters.

The real problem will be people who vote along party lines regardless of argument quality. A sliding scale on vote points may help this, but only partially.