Why Are Scientists Overwhelmingly on The Left?

Author: Reece101

Total: 207
Tradesecret
Debates: 2
Tradesecret
-->
@Reece101
I don't reckon that has much substance to it. 

Which scientists? Which field? 

Which country? 
ethang5
Debates: 1
ethang5
-->
@3RU7AL
So a man can'T act like and dress like a woman because it makes You feels uncomfortable.
A girl can'T choose whether or not to maintain her own pregnancy because it makes You feels bad.
A person can'T flee persecution and poverty because You feels afraid of scary dirty foreigners.
Some people are the evil and or privileged if You feels they are.
Homosexuality is immoral because the very thought of dicks in assholes makes You feels icky
You are aware that these are YOUR arguments? Or at least those you assume are mine? I made none of them. You are liberal, so you illogically assume that if I say, "Your feelings don't make Homosexualism moral", that must ONLY mean I think homosexuality is immoral, and not that it COULD be moral but not BECAUSE someone FEELS it is.

Having to listen to you harp about how logical and intelligent you are, and then having to explain these basic fallacies to you is boring.
ethang5
ethang5
-->
@Double_R
The studies are not bogus because they confirmed the tobacco industry’s position, they are bogus because we know not only that they are wrong but we also know why they are wrong.
We know NOW that they were wrong, your illogical position would have confirmed them at the time.

Quoting someone does not mean you paid any attention to what they are saying...
Another one I could just leave up without comment. This is text genius. The only way you know I got what you said is if I quote you correctly.

You see how that works?
What I see is your dishonest argument style. I will beat you none-the-less.

I break up your answers because you use words as deflection to argue dishonestly. You are now taking your ball and going home because I won't allow you to change the rules mid-game.

For example, my argument had nothing to do with tobacco. Tobacco was just one example of a faulty study, which was my topic. You dodged that.

Observe this exchange.
We’re not talking about human nature.

Sure we are. Politics is human nature.
We’re not talking about politics. Clearly, you don’t pay attention.
We are talking about left/right political issues. Look at the title again. Why scientists are majority left/right IS a human nature/political issue. You know this. I know you know because you will immediately contradict yourself below.

There is no such thing as “right” when we’re talking about human nature...
You just said it we WEREN'T talking about human nature! But it was not human nature I was calling "right or wrong" it was the studies. You know this because you immediately correctly confirm that  "right" referred to the studies, not the human nature.

You lied because lying and conflation is part of your debate style. You are now angry because your cheap tricks didn't counfoud me.

There is such a thing as "right" when we're talking about studies.

This conversation began by you talking about studies that confirm leftists positions and how they can’t always be right.

Your "they" above correctly refers to the studies, not the human nature. Dishonesty is a piss-poor logical tool.

...and your example was tobacco studies, which has nothing to do with human nature
But smoking does.
At which point you could not hide your dishonesty any longer so you do what all dishonest people do when caught. You ran.

You have a good day too.
3RU7AL
Debates: 3
3RU7AL
-->
@ethang5
So a man can'T act like and dress like a woman because it makes You feels uncomfortable.
A girl can'T choose whether or not to maintain her own pregnancy because it makes You feels bad.
A person can'T flee persecution and poverty because You feels afraid of scary dirty foreigners.
Homosexuality is immoral because the very thought of dicks in assholes makes You feels icky
You are aware that these are YOUR arguments? Or at least those you assume are mine? I made none of them. You are liberal, so you illogically assume that if I say, "Your feelings don't make Homosexualism moral", that must ONLY mean I think homosexuality is immoral, and not that it COULD be moral but not BECAUSE someone FEELS it is.

Having to listen to you harp about how logical and intelligent you are, and then having to explain these basic fallacies to you is boring.
My presentation is a reflection of your presentation.

My presentation has exactly as much validity as your version.
ebuc
Debates: 0
ebuc
-->
@ethang5
@3RU7AL
What I see is your dishonest argument style. I will beat you none-the-less.

Why is Ethang always frowning :--( ?  I think his profile icon says alot about his approach to life, Universe and everything.

Ethang believes the answer to life, Universe and everything is _______?

Scientists believe the answer to life, Universe and everything is is unknown.

I believe the most significant clue offering us  the answer to life, Universe and everything is  found within the four level-lines, that,are inside-outed from symmeetrical sine-wave pattern, to and semi-regular pattern of hexagons containing  sine-wave , that, when the four levels/lines are curved around to meet themselves, a torus is defined ,that, expresses the ultra-micro/macro, and, the visible reality sine-wave association /\/\/\/\/\/ with many if not all reality particles.

Hexagon below is in bold. Below we have four overlapping hexagons, ending at 15 and if we consider the non-counting number 0. If we do not consider #0, then the first four overlapping hexagons needs to include #18.  There exist 18 kinds of quark and anti-quark in Universe.

ultra-micro/macro.........1............................5p..........7p......................11p..........13p....................17p...
-
-
reality observed......0...........................................6........................................12....................................18
reality observed..............................3p......................................9.........................................15................
-
-
ultra-micro.macro....................2p............4.........................8.........10..............................14.......16.........

Sine-wave of relaity inside the torodial tube  is 0, 3, 6, 9, 12, 15, 18 etc

The truncated cube { XYZ-3D-cartesian } is aka the Vector Equlibrium { VE } is defined by four bisecting hexagonal planes.  LINK 

Archimedes was first to discover, that, the area of those four planes is equal to the outer surface area of the spherical VE { aka cubo-octahedron }. http://www.rwgrayprojects.com/synergetics/s04/figs/f5511.html

Mathematician John Baez's favorite number is 24 and his 2nd favorite is #8, and third #5. LINK

The VE has;

24 external chords,

24 internal radii,

24 surface right triangles,  --subdivision of 8 surface triangles---

24 triangles  --subdivision of 6 surface squares----

ethang5
ethang5
-->
@3RU7AL
My presentation is a reflection of your presentation.
No sir. Your presentation is a reflection of your perception of my position.

My presentation has exactly as much validity as your version.
If by validity you mean logically sound then I beg to differ. You do not know my position on any of those issues and my comments did not state any position except for the fact that feelings do not validate beliefs. Mine or anyone else's feelings. None of it means that those reasons cannot be otherwise valid.

We can take you for example.

How I feel is immaterial to the morality. You have assumed I feel uncomfortable, and worse, have assume that is my reason for opposing it. I do not oppose cross dressers.

How I feel is immaterial to the morality. You have assumed I feel bad, and worse, have assume that is my reason for opposing it. I do not oppose a woman's right to choose.

How I feel is immaterial to the morality. You have assumed I feel afraid, and worse, have assume that is my reason for opposing it. I do not oppose legal  immigration, I oppose all illegality because breaking the law in this case is immoral.

How I feel is immaterial.

How I feel is immaterial to the morality. You have assumed I feel icky, and worse, have assumed that is my reason for opposing it. I do not oppose homosexuality, but I do think it is immoral.

And homosexuality is not dicks in assholes, as even straight couples can perform gay sex.

If I asked you why you think any of the subjects above are moral, as a liberal, you would be able only to cite your personal feelings about it. You are projecting.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@ethang5
Having to listen to you harp about how logical and intelligent you are,
Citation please.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@ethang5
If I asked you why you think any of the subjects above are moral, as a [NOT] liberal, you would be able only to cite your personal feelings about it. You are projecting.
I appreciate you plainly stating your own personal OPINIONS on each of the subjects you originally noted.

What's shockingly absent is any information regarding the REASONS that support your OPINIONS.

GENDERIDENTITY - INDIVIDUALS ARE SELF-SOVEREIGN
ABORTION - INDIVIDUALS ARE SELF-SOVEREIGN
IMMIGRATION - INDIVIDUALS ARE SELF-SOVEREIGN
RACEPRIVLEGE - INDIVIDUALS ARE SELF-SOVEREIGN
HOMOSEXUALITY - INDIVIDUALS ARE SELF-SOVEREIGN

For additional detail on any of these, simply ask.
ethang5
ethang5
-->
@3RU7AL
GENDERIDENTITY - INDIVIDUALS ARE SELF-SOVEREIGN
ABORTION - INDIVIDUALS ARE SELF-SOVEREIGN
IMMIGRATION - INDIVIDUALS ARE SELF-SOVEREIGN
RACEPRIVLEGE - INDIVIDUALS ARE SELF-SOVEREIGN
HOMOSEXUALITY - INDIVIDUALS ARE SELF-SOVEREIGN
Sovereignty does not confer morality. I have the self-sovereignty to shoot someone, but that sovereignty does NOT make it moral.

We are discussing morality, not self-sovereignity. Two different things.

I did not need to give any reasons because I was NOT stating MY positions, I was stating the liberal's position.

How is self-sovereignity different from "I feel that way"? Not much to me. Can you tell us how they are different?
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@ethang5
Sovereignty does not confer morality.
What principle do you suppose confers morality ?

I have the self-sovereignty to shoot someone, but that sovereignty does NOT make it moral.
Shooting someone would violate their SELF-SOVEREIGNTY.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@ethang5
We are discussing morality, not self-sovereignity. Two different things.
Please explain.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@ethang5
I did not need to give any reasons because I was NOT stating MY positions, I was stating the liberal's position.

I do not oppose cross dressers.
I do not oppose a woman's right to choose.
I do not oppose legal  immigration,
I do not oppose homosexuality,
ethang5
ethang5
-->
@3RU7AL
Something objective, other than how we feel.

I have the self-sovereignty to shoot someone, but that sovereignty does NOT make it moral.

Shooting someone would violate their SELF-SOVEREIGNTY.
You said nothing about that. You only mentioned self sovereignty. Does a dog have self-sovereignty? Why not? Did Hitler's soldiers have self-sovereignty? Was shooting them immoral?

We are discussing morality, not self-sovereignity. Two very different things.
Please explain.
Self-sovereignty is the (yet unproven) idea that we have the right to do with our bodies what we will.

Morality is the idea that some things are right (moral) or wrong (immoral) to do regardless of self-sovereignty.

That they are different is self-evident.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@ethang5
How is self-sovereignity different from "I feel that way"? Not much to me. Can you tell us how they are different?
SELF-SOVEREIGNTY is a primary moral AXIOM.

Only you yourself can authoritatively identify yourself.

Are you a startrek fan ? - - Only you yourself can authoritatively identify yourself as either a startrek fan or NOT a startrek fan.

Are you a christian ? - - Only you yourself can authoritatively identify yourself as either a christian or NOT a christian.

Are you a conservative ? - - Only you yourself can authoritatively identify yourself as either a conservative or NOT a conservative.

And EVEN IFF you identify yourself as a christian, you cannot authoritatively speak for ALL christians, you can only speak for YOURSELF.

Someone who identifies as an atheist probably shouldn't be trusted to speak authoritatively about the beliefs and opinions of ALL christians.

In the same way, Someone who identifies as a christian probably shouldn't be trusted to speak authoritatively about the beliefs and opinions of ALL atheists.
ethang5
ethang5
-->
@3RU7AL

Sigh. I was NOT stating MY position in post #177 Brutus, and I was denying your charges in post #189.

In the same way, Someone who identifies as a christian probably shouldn't be trusted to speak authoritatively about the beliefs and opinions of ALL atheists.
None of your post addresses morality. Self-sovereignty is not morality.

If you feel that atheists do NOT base their morality on how the feel, please offer what you think they do base their morality on.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@ethang5

Something objective, other than how we feel.
Are you perhaps maybe kinda somewhat familiar with HUME'S GUILLOTINE ?
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@ethang5
Sigh. I was NOT stating MY position in post #177 Brutus, and I was denying your charges in post #189.
Why are you explaining this.

We both know you stated your opinions without reasons.
ethang5
ethang5
-->
@3RU7AL
Suit yourself. But when you are able to state a reason for atheist morality other than how they feel, let me know.
ethang5
ethang5
-->
@3RU7AL
Are you perhaps maybe kinda somewhat familiar with HUME'S GUILLOTINE ?
Exactly, which is why I'm asking the atheist for the moral principle on which his feeling based morality is derived.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@ethang5
Suit yourself. But when you are able to state a reason for atheist morality other than how they feel, let me know.
(IFF) you are capable of understanding this (AND) you value your own existence (THEN) you must value the lives of at least SOME of those on which you directly and indirectly depend (humans, plants, and animals)
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@ethang5
Suit yourself. But when you are able to state a reason for christian morality other than how you feel (+ some old book), let me know.
ethang5
ethang5
-->
@3RU7AL
Thank you for conceding. I know it must have been difficult for you.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@ethang5
Thank you for rushing to declare victory. I know it must have been a crowning achievement for you.
ethang5
ethang5
-->
@3RU7AL
Sorry. The next time you concede, I won't mention it.
ResurgetExFavilla
ResurgetExFavilla
-->
@Reece101
Because scientists attend universities, an environment which in the present day includes immense social pressure to adopt a certain outlook on life and certain axioms about human nature, though these have shifted wildly since say the 1940s, when most scientists adapted to those social mores. Most scientists in 12th century Baghdad were devout Muslims, and most scientists in 2nd century BC Alexandria were devotees of Serapis. Most Chinese scientists are communists. Scientists are human beings, and human beings tend to bend to the prevailing social ideologies of their given environs.
ebuc
ebuc
-->
@ResurgetExFavilla
Scientists are human beings, and human beings tend to bend to the prevailing social ideologies of their given environs.

And philosophers i.e. rational, logical common sense thinkers, that,  often base their thoughts on basis of experiential evidence of self, or others to discover truth?

1} rational, ---  " ability to reason in sequential fashion " 3 follows 2, which follows 1 which follows 0  ? --

2} logical, ---  ability to assess cause, effect and speculative resultants is closer to scientific analysis ?---

3} common sense --may fall short when the above two are not used in complement to common sense ? ---

Truth:

1} absolute/cosmic inviolate truths/principles,

2} relative truths ex sky is blue, tho not always in all cases on all planets etc,

3} false narrative uses a truth ---relative or absolute-- to mislead self or other.

triangle.128k
triangle.128k
-->
@Reece101
It's pretty telling when right wingers don't listen to Dr. Fauci's advice (an insanely heroic, incredible man) and think their nutjob flat earth conspiracies are the truth instead of credible scientific research and facts.