Should the age of consent be lowered?

Author: TheUnderdog

Total: 81
TheUnderdog
Debates: 5
TheUnderdog
I'm not here to advocate pedophilia, but America's age of consent is higher than the world average (R.a917a681b9943965b214397d34f60216 (1393×628) (bing.com))

I think that to reduce our prison population and to expand freedom in the land of the free,  the US should reduce the age of consent to 13.  This is well within the global normal for the age of consent and it expands freedom in the United States.
drlebronski
Debates: 14
drlebronski
you:

I'm not here to advocate pedophilia, 
also you:

the US should reduce the age of consent to 13
ඞඞඞඞඞඞඞඞඞඞඞඞඞඞඞඞඞඞඞඞඞඞඞඞඞඞඞඞඞඞඞඞඞඞඞඞඞඞඞඞඞඞඞඞඞඞඞඞඞඞඞඞඞඞඞඞඞඞඞඞඞඞඞඞඞඞඞඞඞඞඞඞඞඞඞඞඞඞඞඞඞඞඞඞඞඞඞඞඞඞඞඞඞඞඞඞඞඞඞඞඞඞඞඞඞඞඞඞඞඞඞඞඞඞඞඞඞඞඞඞඞඞඞඞඞඞඞඞඞඞඞඞඞඞඞඞඞඞඞඞඞඞඞඞඞඞඞඞඞඞ
drlebronski
drlebronski
you do realize on the map you showed only 6 countries had 13 as consent age right??
MarkWebberFan
Debates: 2
MarkWebberFan
-->
@drlebronski
ඞඞඞඞඞඞඞඞඞඞඞඞඞඞඞඞඞඞඞඞඞඞඞඞ
This is going to sound off-topic, but what do you mean by this? I've seen these drawings twice now, all by different users. Are they some sort of a culture thing restricted to DART?
TheUnderdog
TheUnderdog
-->
@drlebronski
Currently, the age of consent in the US is 16.  But pedophilia is like having sex with a 2 year old.

The countries that showed age of consent as 13 or lower were:

1) Mexico
2) Argentina
3) Spain
4) Nigeria
5) A country I don't know the name of that's north west of Nigeria but still in Africa.
6) Iran
7) Philippines
8) Yemen

And some of them the age is even lower than 13, so it wouldn't be without precedent for the land of the free to lower our age to 13.  Unless Spain somehow condones pedophilia, I'd say making the age of consent 13 isn't pedophilia.
drlebronski
drlebronski
-->
@TheUnderdog
@MarkWebberFan
you got 8 countries out of 195 countries.

definition of pedophilia:
  1. sexual feelings directed toward children.
child:
a young human being below the age of puberty or below the legal age of majority.

lol no it refers to a mafia game "among us" that was popular for a few months during which "sus" became popular.

ඞ refers to the imposter who is very sus just like theunderdog is being very sus
TheUnderdog
TheUnderdog
-->
@drlebronski
So is Spain a nation that allows for pedophilia because I don't think they are?

a young human being below the age of puberty or below the legal age of majority.
So does that mean if a 19 year old has sex with a 17 year old, that's pedophilia?  Because the law says no.

I think 13 year old girls are going through puberty, I know for girls it's younger than guys.
drlebronski
drlebronski
-->
@TheUnderdog
your super sus bro
How old are you?
dfss9788
dfss9788
-->
@TheUnderdog
Children should be protected because they're often sexually naive and innocent. In many state codes the age of consent may be lowered further (if any) provided that there was a marriage between the individuals approved by the court and parents as in the best interests of the child. This sort of arrangement allows the freedoms you speak of, and it already exists.
janesix
Debates: 12
janesix
-->
@TheUnderdog
15 maybe. I think 13 is a bit young. Not criminal though. I don't know really. People are biological adults at age 12 or 13. So.
RationalMadman
Debates: 565
RationalMadman
Anything lower than 16 is pure insanity. 
TheUnderdog
TheUnderdog
-->
@drlebronski
your super sus bro
What does sus mean?
TheUnderdog
TheUnderdog
-->
@dfss9788
Children should be protected because they're often sexually naive and innocent.
So is a virgin, yet it is legal for a virgin to have sex if they are old enough.
949havoc
Debates: 7
949havoc
-->
@TheUnderdog
it expands freedom in the United States.
That begs for justification. Freedom to do what, and to whom, since my freedom ends at your nose, so to speak, and vice versa? So, what freedom would be expanded since that limitation is imposed even protecting younger people than 13 from predators.
dfss9788
dfss9788
-->
@TheUnderdog
Children should be protected because they're often sexually naive and innocent.
So is a virgin, yet it is legal for a virgin to have sex if they are old enough.
No, that is different. Generally an older person possesses greater mental capacity, maturity and knowledge of the mating market, pregnancy, venereal diseases, and other potential consequences.
dustryder
dustryder
-->
@TheUnderdog
That infographic is old. Spain apparently raised the age of consent from 13 to 16 within the last decade.

And to be clear, one country's laws should not be predicated on anothers. And once that is recognised, by your logic it would be perfectly reasonable to do away with the age of consent entirely.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@TheUnderdog
Currently, the age of consent in the US is 16.  
It's 18 federally but some states have laws that are lenient when it's 17 and someone who is within a certain upward range of their age and not in any position of power or teaching towards them. Some do go to 16 but you said 'US' and those that go to 16 with those conditions are rare.

An age of consent is the unconditional minimum, not the conditional one. In US that is 18, not 16.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@TheUnderdog
So does that mean if a 19 year old has sex with a 17 year old, that's pedophilia?  Because the law says no.
In some states that's a no in others that's a yes.

The problem is a confusion between several legal vs ethical vs psychosexual terms.

A 19 with 17 is not psychosexually pedophilic at all unless the 17 is significantly young looking for their age and underdeveloped (or worse, underdeveloped intellectually and the naivety is what's being preyed on). It also would not entirely be correct to deem it hebophilia since a 19 year old male has only just outgrown being insufficiently finished in puberty themselves (females who are 19 have finished puberty fully already at 16 normally, males tend to kind of 'wane out' their puberty some guys only really finish it at around 22, this includes facial hair development, muscles going from flexible to tough etc).

As for the law, the term is statutory rape and it is very important for you to know that even if your particular state legalises that as long as the 17 year old admits in court they consented, it is a very grey area and flat out illegal in other states. 17 is the bare minimum across US for the more lenient states, usually.

TheUnderdog
TheUnderdog
-->
@dustryder
I would need a source to believe that.  The sources are telling me that it's still 13.
TheUnderdog
TheUnderdog
-->
@dfss9788
Generally an older person possesses greater mental capacity, maturity and knowledge of the mating market, pregnancy, venereal diseases, and other potential consequences.
I think a 13 year old has much of this same knowledge.  They know about pregnency and STIs.  I don't think people should have sex at all with a person with an STI, but people have the right to infect themselves with horrible diseases through their sexual choices.
Wylted
Debates: 34
Wylted
-->
@TheUnderdog
And some of them the age is even lower than 13, so it wouldn't be without precedent for the land of the free to lower our age to 13.  Unless Spain somehow condones pedophilia, I'd say making the age of consent 13 isn't pedophilia.

It's not pedophilia, but that would really harm young girls, who would be the targets of predators and not savvy enough to avoid coercion and the abuse that comes along with it.

My guess is the countries that allow it, most likely have arranged marriages as the norm (even if illegal in those spots), and arranged marriage mitigates the negative effects of a low age of consent. 
Discipulus_Didicit
Debates: 9
Discipulus_Didicit
-->
@TheUnderdog
I think that to reduce our prison population and to expand freedom in the land of the free
How many people are in prison for this?

I would need a source to believe that.  The sources are telling me that it's still 13.
Tell us what sources you are using because a simple Google search indicates that Spain changed it like dusty said in 2009. Check the dates on your sources.
Nyxified
Debates: 21
Nyxified
-->
@TheUnderdog
I advocate for what we have in Canada: Close-in-age exceptions.

• Age of Consent is 16
  • If you are 14-15, you can have sex with someone who is up to 5 years older than you and is not in a position of authority, respect or dependence
  • If you are 12-13, you can have sex with someone who is up to 2 years older than you and is not in a position of authority, respect or dependence.
Now, I think that some of these numbers are a bit iffy, but the general concept is sound. The idea of an age of consent should not so much be used as a way to prevent a 16 year old from having sex with a 15 year old as much as it should be used to prevent a 40 year old from having sex with a 15 year old, and this system accomplishes that.

Dr.Franklin
Debates: 32
Dr.Franklin
-->
@TheUnderdog
how about make the age of consent wait for marriage?
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
I'm not here to advocate pedophilia, but
Why is it that you always start your most racist threads with 'I'm not here to be racist but' as well?

One wonders.
Athias
Debates: 20
Athias
-->
@TheUnderdog
I'm not here to advocate pedophilia, but America's age of consent is higher than the world average (R.a917a681b9943965b214397d34f60216 (1393×628) (bing.com))

I think that to reduce our prison population and to expand freedom in the land of the free,  the US should reduce the age of consent to 13.  This is well within the global normal for the age of consent and it expands freedom in the United States.
The age of consent should be eliminated entirely. The government has no prerogative--other than its self-imposed "legal" one--to dictate when and how one can behave one's own body.

RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Athias
In your utopia there'd still be an age of consent, no doubt. It would be enforced by the local Mafia.
Athias
Athias
-->
@RationalMadman
In your utopia
Anarchy is not a utopia; Utopianism is merely the projection of one who demands perfection from every other system with exception to the one system he or she endorses.

there'd still be an age of consent
No there wouldn't.

It would be enforced by the local Mafia.
So your argument is that the Mafia is a proponent of age of consent laws? What an endorsement!
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Athias
In anarchy, there is still law, there is just no order.

"Law and order" are often pooled together because they often coincide but the paradigm of chaos and order is a different one to law vs libertinism.

Anarchy that you'd approve of would most likely be mafia-enforced controlled chaos.
Athias
Athias
-->
@RationalMadman
In anarchy, there is still law, there is just no order.
In anarchy, law is private, subject to the regulatory mechanisms of the free-market; that doesn't constitute an absence of "order."

"Law and order" are often pooled together because they often coincide but the paradigm of chaos and order is a different one to law vs libertinism
The dissonance is a manifestation of your impression, not any real gauge of anarchism.

Anarchy that you'd approve of would most likely be mafia-enforced controlled chaos.
And you're basing this off what? Your feelings?