is it a weak point that many types of miracles of the bible dont happen nowadays?

Author: n8nrgmi

Total: 44
n8nrgmi
Debates: 0
n8nrgmi
i totally believe in miraculous healings. but when it comes to things like the parting of the red sea, we never see it. i tend to believe in some non healing miracles, but they are harder to pin point beyond something just unlikely or coincidence or a figment of imagination. 

maybe many miracles need plausible deniability to maintain faith? 

what do you think, theists? 
ethang5
Debates: 1
ethang5
-->
@n8nrgmi
I failed to see the point you were going for.

Is that it in your title?
ludofl3x
ludofl3x
I think the point is why don't miracles that would convince wide swaths of people occur today as they seem to have done in the bible. I think if 600,000 people or something like whatever the population of the hebrew host wandering around in the desert was in the story today saw something like what was in the 10 Commandments movie, that would be pretty compelling for those people, as it was in the movie. Healing someone's condition is not only difficult to truly assign as a miracle, it only affects a super small population: that person, their family maybe, someone working on them. Alternately, one might ask why does the occurrence of miracles appear inversely proportional to the amount of scientific knowledge we've gained in the last 500 years. 
Wylted
Debates: 34
Wylted
the jews have lost favor with God and deserve no miracles. Jesus gave miracles not to build faith, but more as a result of just of the faith of others. The only miracle meant to prove anything is the resurrection. 
rosends
rosends
The underlying problem is in the definition of a miracle. What counts? Is it the timely suspension of natural law, or is it the law, itself?
Judaism teaches that there are different kinds of miracles and some still happen.
ludofl3x
ludofl3x
-->
@rosends
The underlying problem is in the definition of a miracle. What counts?
+1. For me it'd be something that requires natural laws to be suspended in single instances, but whatever the definition, it's required for fruitful discussion. 
EtrnlVw
EtrnlVw
-->
@n8nrgmi
what do you think, theists? 
is it a weak point that many types of miracles of the bible dont happen nowadays?

I guess in some ways, but I personally tend put more worth in the application of scripture than anything else because ultimately it is the only thing relevant to yourself. I'm sure if miracles happened all the time like they did in the Bible our job here would be a lot easier :/ but in the end game look at all the defiant among such great works depicted in scripture so it seems the defiant wouldn't care anyways. Jesus is a great example of miraculous works and look at where it got him, he was labeled a blasphemous worker of the devil and then murdered. So what good did miracles do in the face of tyrants?
The sad truth in this world, is the more good works you do and the more effective you are the more you suffer and are persecuted. The more you become a target of the defiant. The brighter the light shines the darker the contrast of evil becomes, it's the principle of duality. So if you want to get yourself killed, rev up your faith and start healing people lol.

maybe many miracles need plausible deniability to maintain faith?

I compare lack of miracles to lack of faith. I think miracle working faith is rare, and probably if it exists you would never hear about it. So if I'm lacking works in my life I blame my own faith not God. But again, this misconception that faith is a religious belief creates a problem. Your faith is to maintain your confidence in God despite what you see. Faith is not a religious creed, it is trust and confidence in your belief and as Jesus points out "according to YOUR faith (trust)"...."if YOU had faith (confidence)"...you could remove obstacles in your life and around you.

Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
Because 1.) Myths are not fact and 2.) Modern world deters magical thinking. Miracles are ignored or explained away. 
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@n8nrgmi
What is a miracle really?

Something either happens or it doesn't.

Obviously, fantasy miracle stuff, is just fantasy.

Though just like my friend Mr Ethan, I fail to fully grasp the multiple but incohesive elements of your question.

Obviously also, is the fact that biblical miracles don't happen nowadays because supposed biblical miracles happened 2000 years ago.

And presumably a miracle is a miracle....So only one type then really...Vis-a-vis a miracle.

So yes, it's all quite a weak point.
RationalMadman
Debates: 562
RationalMadman
-->
@n8nrgmi
Similar to the parting of the red sea, there was a tsunami that slaughtered millions just within the last 2 decades but you see, people only call it a miracle and God's work if it suits their agenda to prove that god is good.

God is not good but God is indeed real and is sociopathic, I believe in a sinister god that is sadistic and I firmly believe that reality proves this correct. I don't care what you say and no, I am not mentally ill but think what you want. 

Either god is sadistic and sinister or he/she/it is dead, I can't see another scenario that works.
BrotherDThomas
Debates: 2
BrotherDThomas
-->
@ethang5
@n8nrgmi

n8nrgmi,

First thing, please don't pay any attention whatsoever to the Bible fool Ethang5 in his following statement in post #2: "I failed to see the point you were going for." Of course he FAILED again in trying to understand his blatant Bible stupidity relative to miracles because of the following link: https://www.debateart.com/forum/topics/6683-for-single-christian-men-that-are-looking-for-a-wife?page=5&post_number=117

YOUR QUOTE: "i totally believe in miraculous healings."

You at best in being a pseudo-christian, you have to believe in miraculous healings, and the only way you can do this truthfully if you or any family member is sick with a serious condition, is to leave out any medical science whatsoever in it having anything to do with a healing!  Because, if medical science did have something to do with any miraculous healing, then you slap Jesus in the face when He stated: “And all things, whatsoever ye shall ask in prayer, BELIEVING, ye shall receive.” (Matthew 21:22)  Key word: “believe,” which triggers the prayer in a direct absolute manner in receiving your prayer request.   It’s just that simple, BUT, if your prayer did not heal the person and they died, then Jesus knew that you DID NOT BELIEVE enough in Him, and the sorrow of your life long guilt will be with you until your demise.  Sad indeed.

Like I have said many times before, it is not easy to be a TRUE Christian in following ALL of the scriptures, and the understanding of same.

zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@RationalMadman
A GOD might just be indifferent.
Tradesecret
Tradesecret
-->
@n8nrgmi
I think the question is answer in Jesus' parable from Luke 16.

19 “There was a rich man who was dressed in purple and fine linen and lived in luxury every day. 20 At his gate was laid a beggar named Lazarus, covered with sores 21 and longing to eat what fell from the rich man’s table. Even the dogs came and licked his sores.
22 “The time came when the beggar died and the angels carried him to Abraham’s side. The rich man also died and was buried. 23 In hell, where he was in torment, he looked up and saw Abraham far away, with Lazarus by his side. 24 So he called to him, ‘Father Abraham, have pity on me and send Lazarus to dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue, because I am in agony in this fire.’
25 “But Abraham replied, ‘Son, remember that in your lifetime you received your good things, while Lazarus received bad things, but now he is comforted here and you are in agony. 26 And besides all this, between us and you a great chasm has been fixed, so that those who want to go from here to you cannot, nor can anyone cross over from there to us.’
27 “He answered, ‘Then I beg you, father, send Lazarus to my father’s house, 28 for I have five brothers. Let him warn them, so that they will not also come to this place of torment.’
29 “Abraham replied, ‘They have Moses and the Prophets; let them listen to them.’
30 “ ‘No, father Abraham,’ he said, ‘but if someone from the dead goes to them, they will repent.’
31 “He said to him, ‘If they do not listen to Moses and the Prophets, they will not be convinced even if someone rises from the dead.’ ”

In case you miss it, I have boldened it and underlined it for you. 

ethang5
ethang5
-->
@BrotherDThomas
Like I have said many times before,...
You mean, "Like you've spammed many times before.." right?

Everyone seems to be ignoring you in this thread too DeeDee. Does that mean your schtick isn't working?

BrotherDThomas
BrotherDThomas
-->
@ethang5

EtHAMg5, the Ham cursed king of non sequiturs as he runs away from biblical axioms,

YOUR ONCE AGAIN INEPT POST AS USUAL: "Everyone seems to be ignoring you in this thread too DeeDee. Does that mean your schtick isn't working?"

Your totally Ham Cursed brain hasn't figured it out yet, in that the Bible ignorant pseudo-christians like you have to ignore my posts  for the most part because of the biblical truth of them that they, and YOU, cannot respond too, other than to run away from them like you do to try and save face, get it? Duh!

EtHAMg5, here, let me give you an example using your Bible stupidity where you will use more non sequiturs to run away from my post #11, ready? Lets talk about the FACT that Jesus says you or another can be healed as a pseudo-christian of any serious malady if you truly believe in Him, and if you didn't get healed in this respect, then you truly did not believe enough in Jesus as He states in Matthew 21:22!

Ready to discuss this matter, or are you going to RUN AWAY from me again? Look, your equally biblical fool Tradesecret has run away from discussion of this topic, therefore I expect the same from you too! ROFLOL!!!

EtHAMg5, place your runaway non sequitur from this post here like a good little boy: ____________________________________________

ethang5
ethang5
-->
@BrotherDThomas
EtHAMg5, here, let me give you an example...
No one cares DeeDee.

No one is engaging you. No one has any interest in reading, for the hundredth time, your silly monotonous spam.

Your posts are childish stupidity. If this was actually you, we would play along in pity. But you actually think you're in a parody. After people realize you're no different from a poorly written bot, they tune you out. You go along oblivious. Your religious hate fueling your stupidity.

But Ethan won't tune you out. Ethan will be here for you. Ethan is the go to for all trolls, militants, and loonies like you.
BrotherDThomas
BrotherDThomas
-->
@ethang5

EtHAMg5, the Ham cursed black man and king of non sequiturs as he runs away from biblical axioms,

In you having the "HAM CURSE" that Jesus has given you within the scriptures in being an ungodly black man, you are meaningless within this Religion Forum, whereas you are just chaff in being here where no one is to take you seriously, as if they didn't before. Unfortunately you cannot remove your "HAM CURSE" because of your skin color being black, therefore this curse is with you until your demise at which time you will be swimming in the sulfur lakes of Hell for eternity: “But as for the cowardly, the faithless, the detestable, as for murderers, the sexually immoral, sorcerers, idolaters, and all liars, their portion will be in the lake that burns with fire and sulfur, which is the second death.” (Revelation 21:8)

EtHAMg5, you should have done your homework before wasting your time and life in where black men like you are not wanted within the Christian faith because of said curse that Jesus has imposed upon you!  As if Jesus' inspired words condoning the beating of "Servants," aka "Slaves" wasn't enough proof for you to stay away from Christianity! LOL! (Luke 12:47-48)

ethang5
ethang5
-->
@BrotherDThomas
The idiot who says he is doing a parody of racist Christianity, turns out to be a racist himself when poked. Lol. You only have to scratch liberals a little to see the fake just under the glossy paint.

He says Jesus "condoned" slavery so "black" for DeeDee is an insult. You and Jesus are racists eh DeeDee? So Landover is a racist church? I should have known you were racist. You're certainly stupid enough.

But I still love you DeeDee.
BrotherDThomas
BrotherDThomas
-->
@ethang5

EtHAMg5, the Ham cursed black man and king of non sequiturs as he runs away from biblical axioms,

No, Bible fool, I am not racist, but our JUDEO-Christian Bible and Jesus most certainly are!  Shhhhhh, you are nothing in this Religion Forum as the link shows below. Sorry for the Biblical Truth upon your modus operandi of Jesus giving you the dreadful Ham Curse in you being a black man of which you will NEVER be able to shed for obvious reasons, sorry.  :(

ethang5
ethang5
-->
@BrotherDThomas
The idiot who says he is doing a parody of racist Christianity, turns out to be a racist himself when poked. Lol. You only have to scratch liberals a little to see the fake just under the glossy paint.

He says Jesus "condoned" slavery so "black" for DeeDee is an insult. You and Jesus are racists eh DeeDee? So Landover is a racist church? I should have known you were racist. You're certainly stupid enough.

No, Bible fool, I am not racist, but our JUDEO-Christian Bible and Jesus most certainly are!
But don't you and your Lord Jesus always agree? Didn't you say you are the only true Christian on the site?

Shhhhhh, you are nothing in this Religion Forum as the link shows below.
Don't try to dodge Hari style now, Pedro. If you are this great, and only true Christian, how can you disagree with your Lord on such a fundamental issue?

Sorryfor the Biblical Truth upon your modus operandi of Jesus giving you the dreadful Ham Curse in you being a black man of which you will NEVER be able to shed for obvious reasons, sorry.  :(
So Jesus is a racist but you are not? In what other ways do you, the only true Christian, disagree with Jesus? So you need not follow Jesus 100% to be a true Christian, huh?

Something tells me Jesus also doesn't go to Las Vegas whorehouses like you do either. Well, live and learn. The 100% true Christian just validated the Bible.

"All have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God. There is no one righteous, no, not one."

Have you been lying to us DeeDee? Should I send you some spackle for your broken schtick?
MonkeyKing
Debates: 3
MonkeyKing
-->
@n8nrgmi
Generally speaking, I still believe miracles happen. We may not recognize them as the same as parting the red sea, but even in modern recorded history we've had some great, incredible things happen. As to whether it is a weak point, yes and no. My personal opinion regarding Christianity is that miracles are only used by God in situations of either great need or where the faith of the person isn't generally affected by the miracle anyway. For example, when we look at Christ. Many of the people who chose to follow him originally were there because of the miracles. They heard some dude was making free food and healing sick people and they thought "aight I can get with that." Then Jesus starts teaching doctrine and the sacrament and these huddled masses gradually disappear. While its possible the miracle convinced a few of his divinity, if you're going by biblical record Jesus should have been hailed as the God he is. Instead they killed him. Or in the case of the Israelites, they have the plagues, red sea parted, and are led around the desert by a lightning cloud that drops food from the sky and they still thought to worship a gold calf. People have a tendency to see a miracle, temporarily be convinced, then remind themselves of their own inner belief and search for the theology that better matches it rather than change to a religion that requires something uncomfortable. It's easy to rationalize it away is all and miracles just don't convert. Its been tried, doesn't work. Just look at Jonah. Or the Canaanites. Or Cain. Etc.

Tradesecret31 “He said to him, ‘If they do not listen to Moses and the Prophets, they will not be convinced even if someone rises from the dead.’ ”
^
BrotherDThomas
BrotherDThomas
-->
@ethang5

EtHAMg5, the Ham cursed king of non sequiturs as he runs away from biblical axioms,

You seem to forget that you are totally MEANINGLESS within this forum as a pseudo-christian at best, remember?  Reread the link below that proves this as FACT!

https://www.debateart.com/forum/topics/6762-is-it-a-weak-point-that-many-types-of-miracles-of-the-bible-dont-happen-nowadays?page=1&post_number=17

Runalong EtHAMg5, you have no meaning anymore in this forum, sorry. :(
ethang5
ethang5
-->
@BrotherDThomas
Lol! I point out your slip up and you want to run away now?

You said you and Jesus disagree on racism DeeDee. Can you explain that contradiction Mr. Only True Christian?

You wouldn't be @ting me every other post if I was meaningless moron.

So tell us DeeDee. What does your Lord Jesus think about you disagreeing with Him about blacks? Is the moron Hari becoming your new Lord? Are you switching over to moron Hinduism?

Or will you dodge my questions again? Feel that in the back of your throat? It's called shame.
BrotherDThomas
BrotherDThomas
-->
@ethang5

EtHAMg5, the Ham Cursed king of non sequiturs,

Your perceived knowledge and facts are at 180 degree apart again. I can be non racist with the black man, and have many friends that are black and  all have the Ham Curse as you do because they were Christians too.  They knew when to leave Christianity when finding out they are Ham cursed by Jesus, and went other ways. It is only the true inept bird-brained of Jesus' creation that can't figure this out, and remain a pseudo-christian within the faith like you have done! LOL!

What is sad to watch on your behalf, is that it is quite obvious in your wanting posts to me that you are showing signs of being embarrassed and now having anxiety attacks in being Ham Cursed by Jesus, where I told you before, you should have done your homework before you wasted your time in becoming a pseudo-christian at best, because now your faith is absolutely MEANINGLESS! ROFLOL!!!!  Duh!   

Here, bone up on the following link that will for sure follow you around this Religion Forum in what you truly are, okay?  You're welcome.

NEXT?

ethang5
ethang5
-->
@BrotherDThomas
I can be non racist with the black man, and have many friends that are black...
I don't doubt that Mr. Bunker. My point was that you clearly said Jesus IS racist. That puts you in opposition to your Lord Jesus!

They knew when to leave Christianity when finding out they are Ham cursed by Jesus, and went other ways
But that still leaves you and your Lord Jesus in opposition to each other on racism DeeDee.

What does your Lord think about you bucking his authority so? No one cares about your spammed links. But I do care about how the board's only true Christian can be in direct opposition to his Lord Jesus.

Can you explain that DeeDee? Or do you need to check with your loony church first.
BrotherDThomas
BrotherDThomas
-->
@ethang5
@Tradesecret

EtHAMg5, the Ham Cursed king of non sequiturs,

YOUR QUOTE IS MEANINGLESS BECAUSE YOU HAVE YET TO ADDRESS YOUR HAM CURSE, UNDERSTOOD?: "I don't doubt that Mr. Bunker. My point was that you clearly said Jesus IS racist. That puts you in opposition to your Lord Jesus!"

I have let you stray long enough to save you further embarrassment, where you're using the same ruse as your equally Bible inept Tradesecret does, wanting me to answer your questions before you answer mine that were before yours, get it? Therefore, first things first, how do you feel as a pseudo-christian at best in having been HAM CURSED because you are a black man by Jesus the Christ, and also in not entering our glorious 1400 square mile heaven because of said curse, whereas your faith is all for naught?

BEGIN:

Instead of beginning of which you can't do to save what face you have left upon this forum because of your Bible stupidity, place your runaway non sequitur to the topic here and we'll count them up in your embarrassment as you go along: _________________________ 

ethang5
ethang5
-->
@BrotherDThomas
YOUR QUOTE IS MEANINGLESS BECAUSE YOU HAVE YET TO ADDRESS YOUR HAM CURSE, UNDERSTOOD?: 
But I have addressed it! You said you were not a racist but Jesus was. That is a difference between you and your Lord Jesus, Mr. village idiot.

Your schtick is not getting you out of this one. Please tell us, Mr. Only True Christian, how you can disagree with your Lord and still call yourself a "true" Christian?

I think Jesus would call you a pseudo Christian if he knew you opposed him on racism. Are you hiding your disobedience from your Lord?? Shame!

Is your church also against Jesus, or are they racist like him? They must be racist. Is that why you are ashamed to talk about your church?

Finding out you may be a fake Christian is upsetting isn't it Mr. Not so true Christian?

23 days later

secularmerlin
secularmerlin
That it is under discussion is a little telling actually. It is true that every holy book (not just abrahamic ones) describe the wonders and miracles that some deity performed that showed the people what was what and proved his power and it is also true universally for all of them that those kinds of showy miracles don't seem to be going on anymore. 

The red sea no more parts than do horses fly people to heaven and just as much as gods battle giant fire breathing demon bulls. Semantic arguments about what constitutes a miracle aside it is clear that the type of miracles being done in the biblical narrative are not happening now and that seems strange since yahweh used to be such a boots on the ground type of god.
n8nrgmi
n8nrgmi
-->
@secularmerlin
i'm a hard core theist, and i believe in miracles, but i dont deny that is a well stated post
n8nrgmi
n8nrgmi
-->
@Tradesecret
what's your opinion on why only healings seem miraculous these days, and the wide array of miracles that happened in the bible dont seem to happen nowadays?  is god trying to leave plausible deniability to maintain faith?