Give me the goods

Author: MonkeyKing

Total: 37
MonkeyKing
Debates: 3
MonkeyKing
-->
@Polytheist-Witch
I know from personal experience that spirit exist. To ignore that would be hypocritical. I feel the need to engage and do for them as they also do for me the same as I would a living  person. I might have misunderstood the question. I thought you were asking what do you get to as a benefit from my belief. Not a factor for my belief. Caring for my dead us a priority even over working with the gods.
I find that perspective unique. To be clear, there are many who believe in spirits, God, or any other number of supernatural things but that doesn't always necessitate a reciprocal relationship. So in your mind, the knowledge of your belief itself requires action if I understand correctly. Honestly, I think that's great. Faith ought to be an action based ideal not just an open or empty belief. Just out of curiosity, what might entail your relationship with said spirits? You noted that you help them and they help you, what might that look like?
Polytheist-Witch
Debates: 1
Polytheist-Witch
-->
@MonkeyKing
Regular offerings of food and drink. Communication and maintaining an altar. Special ritual work. 
Ramshutu
Debates: 43
Ramshutu
-->
@MonkeyKing
You’re right in that the first part can’t be used broadly to prove the non existence of God. In many ways a big portion is a rephrased PoE argument.

However, religions and the religious are all about making statements about Gods power, will, motivations; and most assuredly sets up God as a Hypothesis. 

Ramshutus Razor is a mechanism for testing that hypothesis.

It’s not so much the case it refutes all Gods; but does assuredly refute all specific Gods anyone has ever put forward.

Take a typical Christian approach - God is love, God wants us to chose him, evil exists as a necessity to empower Good. Yadda Yadda.

Wouldn’t this universe better meet those goals if childhood Leukemia had a 10% better survival rate? Or if smallpox killed 1/10 instead of 1/4. What if Paedophillia didn’t exist?

If all bad things that happen for no reason allow for potential better good, would not a universe in which a potential good can always be seen? 

Or take the whole nature of the afterlife: God needs us to believe in him - but why not make it a fairer choice? For example - no evolution - or better yet, make ever human know God exists, give them free will, make them know what God wants; and give them tests to show they’re trying, and don’t want to be sinners - but don’t tell them there is a heaven or hell.

Absolutely subjective I ageee - but rapidly leads you to the conclusion that this is such a shitty universe and structure for any God; that they can’t exist - except for maybe Zeus.

The second one is what gives me confidence that Atheism - at least in terms of major theistic themes (as opposed to zeus or being in a simulation) - is correct. I’ve been trying to come up with a collection of motivations and wills for which this universe would be the best - or even close - for 20 years; and you have two options: simple and common motivations that don’t match the universe, of Convoluted and incoherent sets of disparate goals
MonkeyKing
MonkeyKing
-->
@EtrnlVw
With spirituality and religion we don't always have immediate access to hard evidence even though they are built upon observation. So sometimes it's simply best to go with commonsense or logic to determine if something is stupid to accept or has good reason to consider it. If you already know or are 99.9 % sure God exists you can be very open-minded about many aspects of information and Theistic knowledge....once wrestling with whether or not God exists is no longer an obstacle things change dramatically if you're an obsessed thinker. For one, if God exists it changes the dynamics of reality so while things can get very strange everything must harmonize with logic.
Me personally, I think what you're really defining here is faith and trust and you and I would appear to think of it similarly. I certainly agree that once you accept God, logic has a certain openness to it that allows a lot of leeway. For if God exists, there's a whole lot interest as to what exactly is His doing and what isn't. I find myself more often than not deciding that while yes, "everything" is God's doing by extension, sometimes we give God credit to things that He isn't directly responsible for and we end up with people claiming false miracles or the like. It's a tricky business, sorting between the spiritual truths with regular laws of reality. More often they tend to link up as well which just makes it more fun hahaha So then my guess is what you've got going is logic, commonsense, evidence, and then faith(although not necessarily in that order). 

Lol I feel you on that one. That's our curse as God lovers, we want everyone to experience what life has to offer on a spiritual level. Just keep yourself open to information and don't limit your beliefs to doctrine or dogma unless they are appropriate for application. And then you will always experience something you haven't before, don't hold anything back from God and God won't hold anything back from you. One thing people tend to trap themselves into, is lack of freedom. Religion (not referring to any particular) seems to have a knack for locking up a souls freedom in God, it's funny...they cleared the intellectual hurdle of whether or not God exists and now they have set themselves up behind barriers that limit their understanding of the Creator.
You're not wrong, it's a sad truth and a great blessing that when you get enough people of similar belief and put them together in a community they create cultures that usually encourage assimilation and you end up with dogmatic crap. I've wrestled a bit with knowing the balance between community involvement and using the good and supporting parts while removing the less helpful parts that can discourage continued thought and independence. Idk, what I most appreciate about my own belief is that it is incredibly sensible from a conceptual standpoint and really does work in practice so long as it is being practiced. It's when folks add stuff on top or reinterpret things to fit their own sense of morality rather than having a desire to change to something better that makes me sad. I can't complain too much though, I myself am guilty of, as you say, "clearing the intellectual hurdle...and now...set [myself] up behind barriers". What might you suggest is the cause of this yourself?

You come across as a down to earth, realistic and logical guy. Hopefully you contribute more to this section of the forum.
Haha I appreciate it, I'll do my best to stick around. You seem an intelligent and well-thought out person yourself so hopefully I can tickle your brain at least some as much as you do mine

MonkeyKing
MonkeyKing
-->
@Ramshutu
You’re right in that the first part can’t be used broadly to prove the non existence of God. In many ways a big portion is a rephrased PoE argument.
Alright, fair.

However, religions and the religious are all about making statements about Gods power, will, motivations; and most assuredly sets up God as a Hypothesis. 

Ramshutus Razor is a mechanism for testing that hypothesis.
I do disagree slightly with your premise only in it not being complete. I personally would also consider religion about the relationship between us as individuals and God, our purpose within that relationship, and what is in my own as well as other's best interest when regarding our lifestyle here as a result. Again, just me personally though. I can accept the basic statement here still as setting up God as a hypothesis.

It’s not so much the case it refutes all Gods; but does assuredly refute all specific Gods anyone has ever put forward.
Agree to disagree, but sure. It's your razor, after all.

Take a typical Christian approach - God is love, God wants us to chose him, evil exists as a necessity to empower Good. Yadda Yadda.
So far so good.

Wouldn’t this universe better meet those goals if childhood Leukemia had a 10% better survival rate? Or if smallpox killed 1/10 instead of 1/4. What if Paedophillia didn’t exist?

If all bad things that happen for no reason allow for potential better good, would not a universe in which a potential good can always be seen? 

Or take the whole nature of the afterlife: God needs us to believe in him - but why not make it a fairer choice? For example - no evolution - or better yet, make ever human know God exists, give them free will, make them know what God wants; and give them tests to show they’re trying, and don’t want to be sinners - but don’t tell them there is a heaven or hell.

Absolutely subjective I ageee - but rapidly leads you to the conclusion that this is such a shitty universe and structure for any God; that they can’t exist - except for maybe Zeus.
There's a lot to unpack here. I mean, ultimately you say yourself that it really is subjective so if this is the structure you use and then come to that conclusion then I suppose according to the razor you provide then you're following the rules and it makes sense within context. In the same way I could, and do, follow the same instruction to end up at a different result I would assume the structure is still working then. I do personally struggle with it's lack of definition and how open-ended it is, but if it works for you then cheers my friend. Touching on what you state regarding sickness, rape, etc., this is really one of the more difficult hurdles for many regarding God, religion, or just life in general. I have personally struggled with this concept as it really doesn't have an easy answer. I'll give you a quick story of mine, you can do with it as you like. In my own experience, what really changed my perspective was just that, experience. I have been in an abusive home, stalked, and had others attempt murder on my family. I came out of it with a lot of sadness, fear, and bitterness for a long time. It wasn't until much later, when I was trying to help a young woman who was facing a similar situation where her significant other was abusive and she was doing her best to reclaim her children that I felt an overwhelming amount of sheer gratitude and compassion. I personally am not great at sharing compassion either, but at that moment I came to recognize the power of my experience and while I certainly didn't enjoy what was happening at the time, I wouldn't trade it for what it gives me. I have found this to be common among those who experience trauma, that while it is still a bad thing the end product is something truly inspiring to work toward and really makes these experiences worth it. Another quick example of this is a meme post you may have seen before, where a suicide hotline becomes overwhelmed with calls and so an operator is taking two calls at once. They ask the one if it is ok to go on hold because there's another gentlemen in need of help and they easily comply. The operator goes between the two and the two who called in end up having more concern for the one on the other end of the call than themselves and kept checking in to make sure the other guy was ok. So while I personally may disagree with your end conclusion and while I personally do believe that evil is a real, necessary, and beautifying part of life it is still your conclusion to make. Anyway, moving on.

The second one is what gives me confidence that Atheism - at least in terms of major theistic themes (as opposed to zeus or being in a simulation) - is correct. I’ve been trying to come up with a collection of motivations and wills for which this universe would be the best - or even close - for 20 years; and you have two options: simple and common motivations that don’t match the universe, of Convoluted and incoherent sets of disparate goals

I'm not sure if I follow, but let me see if I understand you correctly. To guess, you would claim that the "universe", which I'll just assume is collective existence as it stands, must either have an agreed upon motive for existing or a bunch of different, potentially conflicting ones? And when you say "motivations and wills", can you be specific with me? Do you mean in a general, "the universe exists to accomplish x y z" and "humans exist to procreate and enjoy life as possible, trees exist to grow, spread seeds, and provide further nutrients for other nature, etc" or more about inherent morality regarding life as a whole such as "Killing is bad, rape is bad, consensual sex is good, kids deserve good parents, etc." sorts of statements? I apologize if I am not grasping your concept here, doing my best with the monkey brain provided.
EtrnlVw
Debates: 0
EtrnlVw
-->
@MonkeyKing
Me personally, I think what you're really defining here is faith and trust and you and I would appear to think of it similarly.

Well to be more precise, you and I agree that faith is very much like an action. An action you would move forward in...in trust and confidence. Actually I meant to tell you that, besides myself you are the only other person on a forum I've read say that faith is akin to an action and I have been saying that for quite some time. I cringe when I read atheists assert that faith is believing in things for no reason or evidence, it is precisely the opposite. Trust and confidence are built around reason and evidence, the more trust (reason) and confidence (evidence) you have the more faith you have to act on.

I personally don't define faith as a belief TBH, to me it is the level of trust and confidence a person has in what they know is true. Jesus of the Gospels is a great witness of that fact, he always suggested a contrast between little faith and great faith, and that (little or great) depending upon the individual. Then, even more important is what that faith could accomplish (action).

I certainly agree that once you accept God, logic has a certain openness to it that allows a lot of leeway. For if God exists, there's a whole lot interest as to what exactly is His doing and what isn't. I find myself more often than not deciding that while yes, "everything" is God's doing by extension, sometimes we give God credit to things that He isn't directly responsible for and we end up with people claiming false miracles or the like. It's a tricky business, sorting between the spiritual truths with regular laws of reality. More often they tend to link up as well which just makes it more fun hahaha So then my guess is what you've got going is logic, commonsense, evidence, and then faith(although not necessarily in that order).

I think more accurately that whatever I have gathered as forms of logic, reason, commonsense and evidence is what makes my faith what it is. Not as something distinct from those factors. They go hand in hand in that the one builds the other....faith is not void of those features, it is those features that undergird faith. Faith being defined as trust and confidence is formed through how much reason we have to believe (trust).
In Hebrews it says that faith is the substance of things hoped for and the evidence of things not seen, and some people think that the passage is saying that faith is void of substance and evidence lol, not at all. Faith is both (THE) substance AND (THE) evidence, and the rest of that chapter gives examples of peoples faith in God, and how their trust and confidence produced viable outcomes.
Jesus compared a little bit of faith as a form of ability that could remove obstacles in ones life. And it is according to each individuals level of confidence.

In this world, we are the channels for the Divine. If God is doing  something it is because we are doing something and if God is doing nothing it is because we are doing nothing. There is no distinction between what we do and what God does. This may sound heretical at first, but just look at reality and you will see it is pretty accurate. 

You're not wrong, it's a sad truth and a great blessing that when you get enough people of similar belief and put them together in a community they create cultures that usually encourage assimilation and you end up with dogmatic crap. I've wrestled a bit with knowing the balance between community involvement and using the good and supporting parts while removing the less helpful parts that can discourage continued thought and independence. Idk, what I most appreciate about my own belief is that it is incredibly sensible from a conceptual standpoint and really does work in practice so long as it is being practiced. It's when folks add stuff on top or reinterpret things to fit their own sense of morality rather than having a desire to change to something better that makes me sad. I can't complain too much though, I myself am guilty of, as you say, "clearing the intellectual hurdle...and now...set [myself] up behind barriers". What might you suggest is the cause of this yourself?

Well for starters, I always focus on application as the foremost factor of any belief system before I permanently allow any dogma to infiltrate my heart and beliefs. Application are the teachings that apply to yourself that you can observe the outcomes of, whereas dogma is basically nothing more than ideas or beliefs that you are told to accept for whatever reasons. The difference is that one is a practice and one is a creed or perhaps a set of doctrines. Only one of those actually develops your spiritual being.

A good example would be like say I was teaching you how to play the guitar, well I could tell you about it and tell you how long I've been playing and I could tell you all kinds of stories about my playing and where I've played and blah blah blah and then I could actually sit you down and give you some tangible things to practice. I could write down some tablature, show you hand positions and send you home to develop your skills. Which one of those two things would get you to become a guitar player?

The same is true for religion and spirituality, you want to pay less attention to dogma, stories and opinions and focus on the things you can actually apply to yourself and to the world. This is true no matter the religious source you study or find interest in. There are doctrines and then there are applicable practices you can learn from and observe. If you follow this guideline you will be less fearful, perhaps less limited in your pursuit. Because no matter what, you are applying the necessary features that actually merit your progression.

In this you can be fearless and have complete freedom in God to express God in anyway you know is logical and true because you are first a DOER, and no one can take that away from you. You aren't a talker (or just a believer) but an actual practitioner and that is the only thing that means anything and makes you what you wish to be. If you practice (apply) it...you ARE it, and if you just talk it or believe it you are nothing but sounding brass...a wannabe. God will always be in the application, beliefs are nothing but script. And application is universal, things that are real and true apply to everyone in all places and at all times. 

338 days later

Shila
Debates: 0
Shila
-->
@MonkeyKing
Whether atheist, agnostic, or theist what do you see as the benefiting factor that most prominently contributes to your belief. To be clear, I'm not asking what caused your belief or lack thereof but rather why maintain your position? 

Me personally, I stay a religious person because I know spirituality has, and does, help me overcome challenges while having the possibility to help others. Without the focus on God that I've had I can be quite confident that I personally wouldn't have had the focus on personal growth that I have.

Lemme hear what ya got
We believe in the supernatural because we believe in the natural and we cannot discriminate between the two. We create gods because we are natural-born supernaturalists, driven by our tendency to find meaningful patterns and impart to them intentional agency. The gods will always be with us because they are hard-wired into our brains…..Michael Shermer.