Transhuman/Posthuman theoretical improvements to humans

Author: Mesmer

Total: 34
Mesmer
Debates: 0
Mesmer
This is a difficult topic to discuss because it's about things that are probably far into the future and it's virtually impossible to predict the future. People in the 1800s weren't talking about iPhone 10s or even the possibilities of mobile phones, yet those were only 200 odd years into the future. Hell, even the Coronavirus came out of nowhere for most people, even days before it happened.

In my opinion, humans could benefit greatly from becoming transhuman/posthuman entities wherein some of the limitations of humans, or perhaps the human form itself, is improved upon/replaced with something far better.

Particularly troubling aspects of humans are currently:

- Tribalism (Generates conflict that wouldn't need to exist otherwise. Loyalty to a group and group dynamics should be replaced with doing what is most logical/best. The amount of effort and resources spent on dealing with tribalism I'd guess is astronomical and a massive burden on the human race. We might have needed it for our little tribes back in antiquity. We certainly don't need it with massive civilizations)
- Sexual reproduction (A cumbersome experience that isn't yet optimized, and the methods in which partners are selected far are slowly becoming unnecessary due to the safety of our modern world and the fact that some aspects of mate selection are anti-civilizational. Could be made obsolete by objectively selecting best specimens independent of courtship and mate selection. Could also be made obsolete by dual-sexual humans/entities)
- Literal consumption (Modifying humans to not require food or water would clearly be of benefit. Perhaps transhumans/posthumans could generate energy through solar power or wind power. Perhaps something yet to be invented could be our source of energy, too)
- Metaphysical consumption (Humans dislike both discomfort (for obvious reasons) and comfort (generates boredom). Humans aren't designed to be satisfied with anything, and thus this creates a hedonistic treadmill that never satisfies humans. This becomes a problem when humans realize that their chasing will be endless and that there is no difference in death between chasing and not chasing. Add to that the concept of 'achievement' which is created first by the human mind creating problems (they build broken chairs to fix), and often the 'achievement' doesn't generate anything of real value (i.e. kicking a ball into a net doesn't make you less thirsty -- any derived benefit from kicking the ball into the net could be garnered somewhere else; the universe doesn't need you to kick the ball into the net). Rewiring the human brain in various ways could lessen or resolve these problems).
- A need for the Divine (Religion solves a lot of problems humans have, such as avoiding a singular, flawed human being responsible for the creation of rules for a society to follow, and instead seemingly makes the rule maker a Divine entity who cannot be questioned. Humans also have a pronounced fear of the unknown, and the Divine entity solves that problem, too -- there are many benefits to believing in the Divine entity (religion was a positive evolutionary adaption). Of course, more educated civilizations start to realize they haven't proven such a Divine entity exists (or even can't), and suddenly people start to stop believing in such a Divine entity. Making humans better (particularly neurologically) may avoid the necessity for a Divine being to be believed in, and thus the problems that come along with it).

It's currently a royal pain to deal with humans. Rather than trying to endlessly change the world around us to suit human needs, why not start to change the needs humans have? Genetically modifying humans seems to be the way to go because all humanity seems to be able to do with humans in civilizations is swing between Traditional Conservatism and Progressivism. Unless you heavily restrict humans with TradCon rules (usually involving gender roles, religion/spiritualism etc.), they end up getting sick of it and moving closer and closer to ultra Liberal Progressivism, wherein everything becomes degenerate, weak and waiting to be conquered/implode, and so there is the cyclical reversion back to something TradCon.

I'm not even sure if this level of transhumanism/posthumanism possible, but if it is, this looks to be the way forward for humans.
Intelligence_06
Debates: 167
Intelligence_06
If we are "perfected", what is left for us to do?

Exactly. There isn't anything. I think the better choice is just to stay what we are, be non-perfect, feel the world and work towards goals. 
Mesmer
Mesmer
-->
@Intelligence_06
If we are "perfected", what is left for us to do?
This is precisely one of the problems talked about in the OP: "Humans aren't designed to be satisfied with anything, and thus this creates a hedonistic treadmill that never satisfies humans. This becomes a problem when humans realize that their chasing will be endless and that there is no difference in death between chasing and not chasing."

This is a human neurological problem that could theoretical be fixed.

If you're interested in discussing the topic, please actually read the OP.
FLRW
FLRW
The exact cause of schizophrenia isn't known, but a combination of genetics, environment, and altered brain chemistry and structure may play a role.
Schizophrenia is characterized by thoughts or experiences that seem out of touch with reality, e.g. Modifying humans to not require food or water 

949havoc
Debates: 7
949havoc
-->
@Mesmer
The better answer, and one requiring nothing but change of heart regarding the human condition, and, better yet, offered two thousand years ago, but still not tried successfully, mostly because we think we know better, is the product of Jesus Christ in the Sermon on the Mount. Taking less than fifteen minutes to read, even for a slow reader, but still literate, this council given has in it the solution to every single social ill we suffer today, always have, and always will until these principles are embraced.

1. Blessed are the poor in spirit.
Not because that condition is, by itself, a solution, but because it humbles every individual suffering it, which should encourage hope by that person, and compassion in others to help improve the person, not by money, but by education. It's give a man a fish [he'll be hungry tomorrow], or teach a man to fish [he'll feed himself daily].

2. Blessed are they that mourn.
There is opposition in all things. Loss is as devastating to us as gain is satisfying. We must know both to understand how joy is more in keeping with our preferences than sorrow is disappointing. And, again, when one mourns, others should be at hand to serve to bring peace, hope, and love.

3.Blessed are the meek.
Far from weak, meek is strength of purpose, not necessarily always used. Meekness is humility, with power in reserve, if needed. meekness is more than physical strength, it is righteous indignation and spiritual fortitude. Meekness is discipline in the face of random acts of evil.  Shakespeare: "What a piece of work is man. In form and moving how express and admirable!  In action how like snd angel! In apprehension, how like a god!" Roosevelt: "Walk softly and carry a big stick." [know how to use iut, but use it sparingly] And again, one who is meek may just fiend friends willing to serve in a time of need for defense.

I'm not going to rehearse the whole of it; you get the picture.

“The Christian ideal has not been tried and found wanting. It has been found difficult; and left untried.” ― G.K. Chesterton, What's Wrong with the World.

Most Christians don 't understand the Sermon on the Mount. Worse, some ridicule it, let alone others. Unless we are willing to give it a try, criticizing these principles are the sure way of being wrong with the world, making of it a place wherein we think we must physically evolve to solve our problems. Nope. We just need to try how to be what humanity was always supposed to be.
FLRW
FLRW
-->
@949havoc
Yes, the  Sermon on the Mount is the basis of the Humanism movement. The capstone of the sermon is the golden rule, which is a common theme in almost all world religious traditions. There is something so human and yet divine in doing something as simple as treating others the way we would want to be treated. If this were easy to do humanly speaking, it wouldn’t need to be a cornerstone of virtual every major religious tradition. The highest call of being human and living a life worthy of this inner kingdom of God is in how we treat others. It’s not what doctrinal statement I profess nor what theology I subscribe to. As Paul wrote, without Love, all preaching is a clanging cymbal and simply an annoying sound. 
Nothing in the Sermon on the Mount was instructive of how to gain entry into heaven and to avoid hell. The whole monologue was about this life, and how to call out the most human of qualities and characteristics such as love, mercy, compassion and kindness.

I pray to the Simulation gods (programmers) that you all find Humanism.
949havoc
949havoc
-->
@FLRW
The capstone of the sermon is the golden rule
That's dumbing down the real capstone, which is "Love your enemies." As Jesus said, it's easy to love our friends; they think like us, usually - although I have friends with whom, politically, and others religiously, and others whatever, I disagree, yet, we are friends because our differences do not overwhelm our common ground, and I would defend their lives with my own, and they, likewise, because we are friends. If all of us agreed on everything, the world would be boring. But, loving those we would otherwise loath, which is the most difficult portion of loving our fellows, else we cannot claim to love God, is the real evidence that we have mastered being appropriately human.
Mesmer
Mesmer
The exact cause of schizophrenia isn't known, but a combination of genetics, environment, and altered brain chemistry and structure may play a role.
Schizophrenia is characterized by thoughts or experiences that seem out of touch with reality, e.g. Modifying humans to not require food or water 
Could you demonstrate why transhumanism/posthumanism will always result in schizophrenia?

If you can't, then this isn't a problem.

RationalMadman
Debates: 562
RationalMadman
I say this without any cynicism, you have a point in this thread. I wish to see more of this content from you as opposed to the far-right stuff.
Mesmer
Mesmer
-->
@949havoc
The better answer, and one requiring nothing but change of heart regarding the human condition, and, better yet, offered two thousand years ago, but still not tried successfully, mostly because we think we know better, is the product of Jesus Christ in the Sermon on the Mount. Taking less than fifteen minutes to read, even for a slow reader, but still literate, this council given has in it the solution to every single social ill we suffer today, always have, and always will until these principles are embraced.
As I outlined in the OP, the biggest problem I have with Divine entities (in this case: God) is that they haven't been proven to exist (and we could even argue don't exist, if we talk about particular Divine entities).

Of course, you're clearly a Christian and you're not going to be convinced that doesn't exist because I said so, thus this is a massive can of worms that probably shouldn't be opened here.

But just know that *if* God were not able to proven or was disproven, this problem of God not existing becomes a real one.
Mesmer
Mesmer
I say this without any cynicism, you have a point in this thread. I wish to see more of this content from you as opposed to the far-right stuff.
Firstly, thank you.

Secondly, I've never argued any "far-right" things. Race realism is basically a scientific fact. The arguments that extend from that fact are more debatable, but can be sensibly evaluated because data-driven discussions are possible. None of this is "far-right".

949havoc
949havoc
-->
@Mesmer
The sheer beauty of the Sermon on the Mount is that it just happens to be the best political platform ever documented to eliminate every social ill we suffer without it. One could be an atheist, and, removing any references to any deity in the entire sermon, these principles still stand witness to the ideal lifestyle that expresses the best of humanity. Truth just works regardless of faith.
Wylted
Debates: 34
Wylted
The op is under the impression that mankind needs some sort of saving from it's very nature. The hidden premise is that mankind is affected in a negative way by the system. The system here is what I would refer to as Ted Kazynski did as The Industrial Society.

This conclusion of mankind comes from a type of thing that Sigma personalities will do. They feel like an alien in this world, and so they view society from an alien perspective. Mankind is looked down upon, because they are not a part of it, and since they see many problems in the world, they naturally feeling alien from their fellow man, will conclude they somehow are above man, and so they look at traits unique to human nature and call them bad.

It doesn't help that their belief is supported by mainstream media and liberal elitists, who would disagree with these sigma types in almost every other respect. In fact they look down on these sigma personalities. Let's examine the parts of human nature that Mesmer finds particularly appalling.

Tribalism

"Tribalism (Generates conflict that wouldn't need to exist otherwise. Loyalty to a group and group dynamics should be replaced with doing what is most logical/best. The amount of effort and resources spent on dealing with tribalism I'd guess is astronomical and a massive burden on the human race. We might have needed it for our little tribes back in antiquity. We certainly don't need it with massive civilizations)"

Tribalism is seen as bad, because it hurts the system. I am going to dedicate another thread to exactly what I mean by the system, but let's just summarize for now as the current world order, that works to benefit itself and to maintain the power and autonomy of the people at the top, at not only our detriment, but to their own detriment as well.

The system is the matrix you heard about described by Morpheus in the movie The Matrix. It is not something you can taste touch or smell, but it surrounds you. It controls you, and you can only escape it by freeing your mind. Freeing your mind comes with it's own sets of problems as well. If you escape the matrix you still risk mind viruses that try to keep you from being free. That attempt to either pull you back in or enslave you in more insidious ways.

the 3 main mind viruses are Nihilism, egalitarianism and solipsism are the things that enslave you, even if you break free from the system. Fortunately mesmer will never be at risk of the second mind virus, but she is at risk of being hit by the other 2.

The truth is mesmer, that the world you live in is like a cloak put over you to shield you from the truth. It isn't that people are bad. Being a human is not wrong. Human qualities, certainly are not bad just because they are inconvenient to the system/matrix. To hate human qualities such as tribalism are harmful to the system and the system alone.

The fact is that tribalism is what helps us connect with others. To feel we belong, to feel safe and important. Numerous studies have shown that we just work better in small tribes of 75 people at maximum. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunbar%27s_number

Notice how Mesmer also equates logical with best and insinuates it is illogical to be tribal. This is not the case though. In tribes like I said before we feel connected instead of isolated like sigmas such as Mesmer. We feel loved, and we feel important. It is easier to feel important to a group of 50 close people of a tribe than it is to feel important to 5 billion fellow Earthlings.

There is nothing wrong with being human Mesmer, Inherently human qualities are good. Tribalism is good. Instead of fighting your nature.........enjoy it. Fuck like it is going out of smile, eat great food, enjoy the best sites and sounds. As an anti-natalist, you should realize the corect solution is hedonism. Enjoy life. Enjoy life, by indulging in your nature.

Society as it is, is meant to hide you from your nature, that is why people are anxious or depressed. We literally drug those people to make them feel better about being in a system they know is wrong. We have men cutting off their dicks even . These trannies do it, because they feel something is wrong and can't put their finger on it, so decide it is themselves. Trannies are not wrong though, they are just in the wrong environment and cutting off their dick and balls are not going to solve it.
SEX

Sexual reproduction (A cumbersome experience that isn't yet optimized, and the methods in which partners are selected far are slowly becoming unnecessary due to the safety of our modern world and the fact that some aspects of mate selection are anti-civilizational. Could be made obsolete by objectively selecting best specimens independent of courtship and mate selection. Could also be made obsolete by dual-sexual humans/entities)

Anti-civilizational is the key word here. Mesmer, you are almost awake. Anti system is not automatically bad.

Sexual reproduction is not cumbersome. It's fun to fuck. It is fun to pursue the opposite sex or be pursued. The ego trip seducing a beautiful person gives you, feels really good.

You are mostly right here about the solutions transhumanism will bring though. We will be able to stop the dysgenics going on now. Mothers used to be encouraged to kill genetic freaks, now they are kept alive and even reproduce to the detriment to our species as a whole.

This will be prevented soon by voluntary checks for defects and gene manipulation, while still in the womb. Positive eugenics is a good thing, as long as the people creating policies to encourage this can avoid absolutely correct accusations of practicing eugenics.

So far liberals have put planned parenthoods and abortion clinics in black neighborhoods and killed 50% of blacks prior to birth, a plan formulated by open eugenicist Margaret Sanger, and they have successfully eluded any legitimate criticism of being proponents of eugenics. This is despite the fact, they have no defense of it, as the results of these practices, speak for themselves.

- Literal consumption (Modifying humans to not require food or water would clearly be of benefit. Perhaps transhumans/posthumans could generate energy through solar power or wind power. Perhaps something yet to be invented could be our source of energy, too)

To What ends? The experience of eating, if not done in a way where you mindlessly lose control, is very good. Just imagine eating a delicious gourmet cheesecake, and sipping a glass of red wine. It's a very good experience. Consumption is not bad, in fact it is quite good.

- Metaphysical consumption (Humans dislike both discomfort (for obvious reasons) and comfort (generates boredom). Humans aren't designed to be satisfied with anything, and thus this creates a hedonistic treadmill that never satisfies humans. This becomes a problem when humans realize that their chasing will be endless and that there is no difference in death between chasing and not chasing. Add to that the concept of 'achievement' which is created first by the human mind creating problems (they build broken chairs to fix), and often the 'achievement' doesn't generate anything of real value (i.e. kicking a ball into a net doesn't make you less thirsty -- any derived benefit from kicking the ball into the net could be garnered somewhere else; the universe doesn't need you to kick the ball into the net). Rewiring the human brain in various ways could lessen or resolve these problems).

This is a major problem in modern society and one that is being medicated by psychiatrists, trying to hard code the brain with psychotherapy in combination with prescribed drugs. Maybe, like in the brave new world, we could prescribe everyone a happy pill that eliminates this, but it seems like something that would just work on the symptom, not the problem. The problem is the system.

Humans are happiest when they chase goals that are very hard to obtain. With pleasure just a mouse click away, it deprives us of this pleasure of the chase. You aren't explaining why chasing goals, endlessly is bad. You just expect us to accept that it is. We can see the quick dopamine hit of jerking off to porn harms us, the money handed to a prostitute for sex, doesn't satisfy us at all. What makes us happy is chasing what we want, and depriving ourselves of immediate and fleeting moments of joy.

When humans were tribal, there was no such thing as mental health issues. When your daily life is spent overcoming nature and barely surviving you are much happier. As an animal yourself, it is what you were meant to do. You are here today seeking a fight. Some part of you knows that a fight will make you feel alive. The stakes of these online fights aren't enough to make you happy though. It just hints at something that will make you happier.

What's unfortunate is that the seeking of security, probably stops you from having a fight with high enough stakes. You can have that fight though. Find a job that pays you for results and only results, become an entrepreneur, where every day is a fight to put food on the table or pay your mortgage. Anyone who plays sports for a living and other forms of competition can recreate that feeling. Do what works for you.

The human brain is fine. Become hedonistic. Everything that is not about you fighting for survival, should be about indulging your senses, love by being around the people you love, sexual pleasure by fucking like a porn star, taste by eating only the highest quality food. Exercise hard to get the feelings actual combat may give you.

Transhumanism should be used to meet the hedonistic imperative https://www.hedweb.com/ . However we should aim for the hedonistic imperative in a way that also doesn't merely just help make man more a part of the machine. Technology should serve us, not placate us so that way we can continue to be good slaves to the system.

A need for the Divine (Religion solves a lot of problems humans have, such as avoiding a singular, flawed human being responsible for the creation of rules for a society to follow, and instead seemingly makes the rule maker a Divine entity who cannot be questioned. Humans also have a pronounced fear of the unknown, and the Divine entity solves that problem, too -- there are many benefits to believing in the Divine entity (religion was a positive evolutionary adaption). Of course, more educated civilizations start to realize they haven't proven such a Divine entity exists (or even can't), and suddenly people start to stop believing in such a Divine entity. Making humans better (particularly neurologically) may avoid the necessity for a Divine being to be believed in, and thus the problems that come along with it).

Utter bullshit. You'll understand one day, but God is real. Religion may satisfy some things occasionally like filling in gaps of understanding, by assigning them to God. Sometimes those holes religion fill are bad or made worse by religion doing so, sometimes they are made better, but this is a completely different issue than the existence of a creator.

It's currently a royal pain to deal with humans. Rather than trying to endlessly change the world around us to suit human needs, why not start to change the needs humans have?

It's easier to be a sheep. It's also easy once you see the problems with the system, to merely exploit them to your own ends and live an incredible life doing so. It's one of the reasons why the system seems unbeatable. Those who awaken, often times feel it is easier to exploit the system than end it. It's a personal decision we all have to make, when we awaken. Fight the system or use our knowledge of it, to become wealthy, comfortable and loved. Easy doesn't mean better. I would prefer to make a system that benefits humans, than destroying and perverting humanity into some sort of clone of the " Brave new world" universe.

Wylted
Wylted
-->
@Mesmer
above
Mesmer
Mesmer
-->
@Wylted
Part 1

The op is under the impression that mankind needs some sort of saving from it's very nature. The hidden premise is that mankind is affected in a negative way by the system.
Most people recognize that 'life isn't fair' and that 'bad things happen to good people'. This is a premise that people pretty much already agree with.

I'm arguing specifically that human psychology is responsible for a hell of a lot of these problems people complain about. "The system" doesn't actually cause problems. Humans psychology creates the metaphorical broken chairs that need fixing, and sometimes "the system" says 'No. No fixing today'. If you didn't have the need for fixing broken chairs, or if you didn't make the broken chairs in the first place, you wouldn't have a problem.

This conclusion of mankind comes from a type of thing that Sigma personalities will do. They feel like an alien in this world, and so they view society from an alien perspective. Mankind is looked down upon, because they are not a part of it, and since they see many problems in the world, they naturally feeling alien from their fellow man, will conclude they somehow are above man, and so they look at traits unique to human nature and call them bad.
No, no, no. I'm not "above" mankind and nor do I find the world alien to me.

I'm just stating the problems that come from human psychology, and then suggesting transhumanism/posthumansim could resolve these issues.

Again, people already agree in various ways there are problems with the world. They're just getting it wrong in attempting to change the world to suit them, rather than considering the possibility of changing themselves to suit the world.

Tribalism

Tribalism is seen as bad, because it hurts the system. I am going to dedicate another thread to exactly what I mean by the system, but let's just summarize for now as the current world order, that works to benefit itself and to maintain the power and autonomy of the people at the top, at not only our detriment, but to their own detriment as well.

The system is the matrix you heard about described by Morpheus in the movie The Matrix. It is not something you can taste touch or smell, but it surrounds you. It controls you, and you can only escape it by freeing your mind. Freeing your mind comes with it's own sets of problems as well. If you escape the matrix you still risk mind viruses that try to keep you from being free. That attempt to either pull you back in or enslave you in more insidious ways.
[...]
The truth is mesmer, that the world you live in is like a cloak put over you to shield you from the truth. It isn't that people are bad. Being a human is not wrong. Human qualities, certainly are not bad just because they are inconvenient to the system/matrix. To hate human qualities such as tribalism are harmful to the system and the system alone.
This "system" is a result of human psychology.

People don't get into power just because. They get there through the various channels of human interaction, all of which are mediated by human psychology. That's the root cause. Ted Kazynski seems to think "the system" exists independent of the human mind, but this is not true. Industrial societies exist because they serve human needs/wants in various ways -- they are driven by human psychology. 

A nature-centered form of Anarchism is still controlled by human psychology. Nature also has its own faulty psychology designed by unintelligent design (evolution). His solution doesn't deal with those facts.

the 3 main mind viruses are Nihilism, egalitarianism and solipsism are the things that enslave you, even if you break free from the system. Fortunately mesmer will never be at risk of the second mind virus, but she is at risk of being hit by the other 2.
Nihilism is actually why I think religion is necessary. If you ever get a moment to sit down and think about life, and think through what you do and why you do it, without a chosen deity there really isn't a reason to do it. This is why self-actualization is the top of Maslow's hierarchy -- you don't care about it when you're drowning or up to your eyeballs in credit card debt.

This is the comfort problem humans have -- boredom is just as uncomfortable as not winning a race. We are designed to be motivated, not satisfied. Nihilism only becomes a problem when human psychology is involved -- Nihilism is NOT a problem outside human psychology. A rock doesn't need objective meaning in the universe to feel like it's living a worthwhile life.

Again, human psychology is discovered to be the root cause of the problem generated by Nihilism. This is more reason to change human psychology via transhumanism/posthumanism. 

As for Solipsism, I don't see this as nearly as much of a danger as Nihilism. Most people seem to agree that the humans they interact with are just like them. There are definitely cases wherein people have an existential crisis or they bend their reality to extremes that they start thinking about Solipsism, but those are rare. We'll never truly know that we're talking to humans just like us, but it's something people are pretty damn sure of. And again, a transhuman/posthuman mind may be able to objectively prove other entities are just like us, but I think there are far bigger problems to be addressed.

The fact is that tribalism is what helps us connect with others. To feel we belong, to feel safe and important. Numerous studies have shown that we just work better in small tribes of 75 people at maximum. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunbar%27s_number

Notice how Mesmer also equates logical with best and insinuates it is illogical to be tribal. This is not the case though. In tribes like I said before we feel connected instead of isolated like sigmas such as Mesmer. We feel loved, and we feel important. It is easier to feel important to a group of 50 close people of a tribe than it is to feel important to 5 billion fellow Earthlings.
I agree with Dunbar's number (75 is the low side of it, btw).

I think it's inevitable that humans create larger societies as the smaller ones that are around 75 start to flourish. Your solution doesn't prevent people from getting lazy or wanting to be more comfortable, and hence pushing for/stumbling upon industrialization. Also, if you could somehow keep tribes around 75 people, you'd still have all the issues with human psychology I've addressed in above comments and the OP.

There is nothing wrong with being human Mesmer, Inherently human qualities are good. Tribalism is good. Instead of fighting your nature.........enjoy it. Fuck like it is going out of smile, eat great food, enjoy the best sites and sounds. As an anti-natalist, you should realize the corect solution is hedonism. Enjoy life. Enjoy life, by indulging in your nature.
I'm not an Anti-natalist anymore.

I'm still going to live my life, but I'm also going to make arguments for transhumanism/posthumanism. Call that hypocritical if you like, but we're not yet at the stage wherein I can click my fingers and change humans for the better lol.

Society as it is, is meant to hide you from your nature, that is why people are anxious or depressed. We literally drug those people to make them feel better about being in a system they know is wrong. We have men cutting off their dicks even . These trannies do it, because they feel something is wrong and can't put their finger on it, so decide it is themselves. Trannies are not wrong though, they are just in the wrong environment and cutting off their dick and balls are not going to solve it.
This is more evidence that transhuman/posthuman intervention might be good. If you redesign or fix a transgender person's brain, then they wouldn't feel the need to mutilate their body. If you removed the capacity for a human to be depressed, then you wouldn't have that problem.

SEX

Sexual reproduction is not cumbersome. It's fun to fuck. It is fun to pursue the opposite sex or be pursued. The ego trip seducing a beautiful person gives you, feels really good.
It's cumbersome as opposed to hooking yourself up to a machine which releases dopamine and all the chemicals in the same manner sex does -- that is far less cumbersome. It's not of real consequence whether sex is actually happening (outside of a child produced), rather it's the feelings that are the end goal of human psychology. All the various chemical releases are why sex is "fun" and an "ego trip" -- the chemicals, filtered through human psychology, drive the interaction. 

Now, I'm not sure if the sexual neurological circuit needs rewiring, if it's fine to leave as is, or perhaps if the machine above would be best for 'sexual releases' (which wouldn't actually involve any sex). But "fun" can be theoretically generated in far better ways, if it's required to be generated at all. Perhaps far more intense versions of "fun", such as the equivalent of a full-blown cocaine hit, could be readily administered with transhuman/posthuman technology. Why not even redesign humans so that they don't get bored or accustomed to this euphoric feeling? Why not find the theoretical maximum euphoric feelings human can experience, and aim to have that the constant state of transhumans/posthumans? You could walk around with the feeling of "fun" 10 times better than the feeling of sex and never get bored of it -- that's a transhuman/posthuman possibility.

We need to start pointing to targets no one else can see, and then find the talent to hit those targets no one else can hit.

I'll respond to the rest later.
FLRW
FLRW
Could you demonstrate why transhumanism/posthumanism will always result in schizophrenia?
It's actually that transhumanism/posthumanism always results from schizophrenia.
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Mesmer
Species evolution.

Human to Trans-human to Post-human.

Organic to hybrid to alternative intelligence.

It's happening in plain sight.

To escape this Earthly prison, intelligence must evolve.
Mesmer
Mesmer
-->
@Wylted
Part 2

You are mostly right here about the solutions transhumanism will bring though. We will be able to stop the dysgenics going on now. Mothers used to be encouraged to kill genetic freaks, now they are kept alive and even reproduce to the detriment to our species as a whole.

This will be prevented soon by voluntary checks for defects and gene manipulation, while still in the womb. Positive eugenics is a good thing, as long as the people creating policies to encourage this can avoid absolutely correct accusations of practicing eugenics.

So far liberals have put planned parenthoods and abortion clinics in black neighborhoods and killed 50% of blacks prior to birth, a plan formulated by open eugenicist Margaret Sanger, and they have successfully eluded any legitimate criticism of being proponents of eugenics. This is despite the fact, they have no defense of it, as the results of these practices, speak for themselves.
I agree with everything here.

To What ends? The experience of eating, if not done in a way where you mindlessly lose control, is very good. Just imagine eating a delicious gourmet cheesecake, and sipping a glass of red wine. It's a very good experience. Consumption is not bad, in fact it is quite good.
Posthumans I guess could be redesigned to not eat. I suppose it's necessary for things to gather energy somehow, so that would be the end.

You could have the same experience by activating neurological pathways in your brain. Pleasure isn't something that must be generated through human interactions with the environment. Eating is theoretically inefficient.

This is a major problem in modern society and one that is being medicated by psychiatrists, trying to hard code the brain with psychotherapy in combination with prescribed drugs. Maybe, like in the brave new world, we could prescribe everyone a happy pill that eliminates this, but it seems like something that would just work on the symptom, not the problem. The problem is the system.
If you replaced "the system" with "human psychology", I would agree with all of this.

Again, I think human psychology causes "the system" to exist -- not the other way around.

Humans are happiest when they chase goals that are very hard to obtain. With pleasure just a mouse click away, it deprives us of this pleasure of the chase. You aren't explaining why chasing goals, endlessly is bad. You just expect us to accept that it is. We can see the quick dopamine hit of jerking off to porn harms us, the money handed to a prostitute for sex, doesn't satisfy us at all. What makes us happy is chasing what we want, and depriving ourselves of immediate and fleeting moments of joy.
I agree with the first two sentences.

The issue with chasing goals endlessly is that it generates suffering (something all humans don't want), and the suffer is far more intense when the goals aren't achieved. It's also an inefficient way of reaching the end goal (pleasure/satisfaction/'good' feeling). It would be superior for humans to simply feel good, rather than go through the rigmarole of "the chase" and everything that goes with that.

When humans were tribal, there was no such thing as mental health issues. When your daily life is spent overcoming nature and barely surviving you are much happier. As an animal yourself, it is what you were meant to do. You are here today seeking a fight. Some part of you knows that a fight will make you feel alive. The stakes of these online fights aren't enough to make you happy though. It just hints at something that will make you happier.
I agree with most of this.

Yes, I'm here to "fight" in the sense that you're using it. But I'm improving my arguments and advocating for something that will theoretically help everyone. There is a higher purpose to this than merely feeling good about winning a fight. Also, I am still beholden to all the human problems I'm talking about; I am not above this.

What's unfortunate is that the seeking of security, probably stops you from having a fight with high enough stakes. You can have that fight though. Find a job that pays you for results and only results, become an entrepreneur, where every day is a fight to put food on the table or pay your mortgage. Anyone who plays sports for a living and other forms of competition can recreate that feeling. Do what works for you.
I want humans to evolve past this need to "fight". I don't want to find another to engage it a "fight" myself. That's the whole point of this thread.

The human brain is fine. Become hedonistic. Everything that is not about you fighting for survival, should be about indulging your senses, love by being around the people you love, sexual pleasure by fucking like a porn star, taste by eating only the highest quality food. Exercise hard to get the feelings actual combat may give you.
Again, this thread isn't about learning to cope with being human.

This thread is about theoretical possibilities that would make human/posthuman life better.

Transhumanism should be used to meet the hedonistic imperative https://www.hedweb.com/ . However we should aim for the hedonistic imperative in a way that also doesn't merely just help make man more a part of the machine. Technology should serve us, not placate us so that way we can continue to be good slaves to the system.
Absolutely not.

What a waste of transhumanist tech that would be if we only served the "hedonistic imperative".

I've made it clear why I don't agree with this with a lot of my previous arguments.

A need for the Divine (Religion solves a lot of problems humans have, such as avoiding a singular, flawed human being responsible for the creation of rules for a society to follow, and instead seemingly makes the rule maker a Divine entity who cannot be questioned. Humans also have a pronounced fear of the unknown, and the Divine entity solves that problem, too -- there are many benefits to believing in the Divine entity (religion was a positive evolutionary adaption). Of course, more educated civilizations start to realize they haven't proven such a Divine entity exists (or even can't), and suddenly people start to stop believing in such a Divine entity. Making humans better (particularly neurologically) may avoid the necessity for a Divine being to be believed in, and thus the problems that come along with it).
Utter bullshit. You'll understand one day, but God is real. Religion may satisfy some things occasionally like filling in gaps of understanding, by assigning them to God. Sometimes those holes religion fill are bad or made worse by religion doing so, sometimes they are made better, but this is a completely different issue than the existence of a creator.
It's a premise of my argument that God/Gods/creator/chosen deities don't exist, but it's a huge topic and absolutely needs it own thread.

I guess we just have to agree to disagree.

It's currently a royal pain to deal with humans. Rather than trying to endlessly change the world around us to suit human needs, why not start to change the needs humans have?
It's easier to be a sheep. It's also easy once you see the problems with the system, to merely exploit them to your own ends and live an incredible life doing so. It's one of the reasons why the system seems unbeatable. Those who awaken, often times feel it is easier to exploit the system than end it. It's a personal decision we all have to make, when we awaken. Fight the system or use our knowledge of it, to become wealthy, comfortable and loved. Easy doesn't mean better. I would prefer to make a system that benefits humans, than destroying and perverting humanity into some sort of clone of the " Brave new world" universe.
I pretty much agree with everything but the last bit.

I haven't actually read Brave New World but I don't really want humanity to remain human, and would prefer posthumanism to transhumanism (which is what the book seems to be about). There seem to be elements of "psychological manipulation" and "classical conditioning", whereas I want the human brain reworked into something completely different. I don't think Brave New World's dystopia is analogous to what I'm talking about, and it's just a fiction book anyway.
Mesmer
Mesmer
It's actually that transhumanism/posthumanism always results from schizophrenia.
Alright.

Could you demonstrate that instead?
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Mesmer
Lots of words Mr Mes.

But very little source.

As you stated

In your opinion.
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@FLRW
The other option is that transhumanism/posthumanism might actually evolve.

Schizophrenia...Probably a hormone thing....Just keep taking the tablets.
Wylted
Wylted
-->
@Mesmer
What a waste of transhumanist tech that would be if we only served the "hedonistic imperative".
You actually didn't click on that website did you? They basically argue the same sorts of things you do, but call the philosophy "the hedonistic imperative ".

I've read some very detailed books promoting the ideology. These are smart people who espouse the philosophy, I just feel they are wrong. I'll get into it more later, maybe tomorrow. 

FLRW
FLRW
-->
@zedvictor4

See: Schizophrenics & cyborgs: interrogating 'posthuman(ist)' subjectivity by Angela Woods
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Wylted
This is indeed wrong and eventually when it comes to be the AI illuminati vs the human resistance, I will side with the humans (but I won't be around to do that, it will come at least a few generations away from now) but until humanity is at war with cyborganisms, Mesmer and their school of thought should at least stick to this idea rather than fascism which they're posting in their other threads.

There is validity to the claims of inefficiency in humans but what the fuck does it matter if we are inefficient? That's what comes with being human, if joy and sex as well as nice food and drink are inefficient, I wouldn't want to be totally efficient at all. 

The real transhumanist endgame, which benefits humanity, is with us as the leaders and end-users and the robots as the slaves. The moment you try and make them surpass us as the leaders and users, the war will commence (or if it doesn't we will automatically lose as the AI will surpass us in raw efficiency).
Mesmer
Mesmer
-->
@Wylted
You actually didn't click on that website did you? They basically argue the same sorts of things you do, but call the philosophy "the hedonistic imperative ".
I'm just going to be honest and say no I didn't lol. I don't like clicking random links to websites I don't recognize.

I just assumed that "hedonistic imperative" is an imperative in favor of hedonism, but I didn't guess it was a jargon-laden term that actually means the literal opposite of that. That's a bad label, imo. But that's my mistake.

It's absolutely fascinating to me that this project has already been thinking about the things I've been thinking about, all the while being totally independent of each other.

I think the wireheading idea is a great stepping-stone to a full-blown posthuman population, and hell that might even the best we can get (if posthumans aren't possible/desirable). It's a great idea because it generates the end goal of many humans (lack of suffering) very efficiently (if it's possible).

I think the designer drugs is another poorly labelled term (sounds too much like the hedonistic garbage like heroin and weed that humans currently do). But anyway, the ideas are very good. Perpetual increased intelligence is definitely an excellent outcome. I'm worried about perpetual happiness conflicting with human motivation (i.e. humans not wanting to do anything if they're perpetually happy, and hence are unable to do much). Still, this is clearly a good transhumanist stepping stone towards even better solutions (rewiring the human brain).

The genetic engineering is what I think could theoretically be ultimately best, but I don't think humans currently have the technology to basically re-write the human brain. Their solutions are far more grounded in the here-and-now, which is fine and the best place to start, but ultimately bunting the ball around isn't going to cut it, and swinging for the fence won't cut it, either. We ultimately need to swing for Alpha Centauri -- full rework of the human brain.

But these are all steps in the right direction which I support.

I've read some very detailed books promoting the ideology. These are smart people who espouse the philosophy, I just feel they are wrong. I'll get into it more later, maybe tomorrow. 
Mmk.
Mesmer
Mesmer
Mesmer and their school of thought should at least stick to this idea rather than fascism which they're posting in their other threads.
I've never, at any stage in my life, defended or argued for fascism in any way.

Quote anything I've written ever that you think involves advocating for fascism.

I guarantee there is nothing.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
Much like you, all Fascists began by portraying their opposition as the tyrants, if you accept that as an 'either way around I'd do that, whether I was Fascist or a freedom-concerned person' aspect then I can show you how you absolutely align with Fascism and follow every pattern of Fascist propaganda in the past through to as recently as Trump.

The Colonisers of African nations, India etc (primarily the British and French but of course others) who were partially Fascist, used 'divide and conquer' strategies too, they focused on finding the second-most-in-power tribe or ethnicity within a country and empowering them while tearing down the current powerful ones. What full-on Fascists did different was they worked extremely hard at saying they weren't for that kind of control while being entirely for it, since there is a unique advantage in politics when you are the tyrannical coloniser of your own land positioning as a 'defender', it is extremely cunning and something that Hitler's propaganda really was the epitome of but he was neither the first nor the best, just the most blatant.

It starts with easy-to-demonise groups that can easily be framed as both powerful and drains on the 'hard worker' but unlike any left-wing socialism 'national socialism' merely uses that as a facade to then become the greater oppressor of both the poor and the otherwise-would-be succeeders in the more meritocratic culture there previously.

The strategy works like this:
  1. Constantly, repetitively, make the other side seem as evil for a certain ethnicity or 'group' that is a minority that happens to be something that is taboo to demonise and which it is known many quietly resent.
  2. Once you have achieved the angle that you're pro-free-speech and pro-quiet-majority, ensure to provoke the opposition, twisting absolutely everything they do and say to fit your portrayal of them. If, for instance, the Jews are rich, you need to make sure every way they flex their wealth to defend against your anti-semitism is itself fuel for your Fascist agenda rather than what it really is; them outplaying your attack on them defensively using what is at their disposal. Every single time they call you evil, point out how they demonise you and then proceed to instantly demonise them. Every time they correctly, accurately destroy you with facts, exposing your past and real agenda, you must simultaneously mix this duality of demonising them worse and using their very means to justify how much worse they are, do not defensively address anything they expose about you, dismiss it as communist disinformation.
  3. Once in charge, begin to rapidly create a concept of 'fake news' and 'evil media' so that when you censor exactly as you protested against on your rise, you can avoid needing to yourself do it, the people themselves will enforce the start of pressure and push against such media. Eventually, you will of course need to censor but by that time only your supporters will be the ones with voices and media left to speak for them, making it convenient to do it without a single yelp of hypocrisy and tyranny on your part.
  4. Alongside this, begin to move on from your original 'demon group' (in Hiter's case it was Jews) and begin to demonise the disabled, elderly who didn't retire rich enough to self-sustain entirely independently but not just them, that's not enough to make you seem as a leader pushing for strength, you need to notice what people see as weak, whether it's homosexuality or being deformed despite not being particularly disabled and prey on their hatred because that rage and spite is what will keep you able to remain in power, if you lose at any point revert to the demonising, perhaps saying 'rigged' and incite violent protests in your favour until those in power are forced to flex their power defensively and again can be demonised.

This hasn't been word-for-word written before, it's my original writing on it here on this website, but something like it has since the core ideas are already exposed and written by many experts on Fascism, including those that noticed the parallels in where Trump was heading from day one through to the bitter end where he really upped the ante.

You are a Far-Right fascist that I can see from a mile away for what you are. Whether others see it or not isn't really my issue, I can point out how your experimentation from your Zarroette account through to analgesic.spectre, mgtowdemon and mesmer on this website alone follows a pattern of experimenting of how to refine your Fascist propaganda to make it a combination of digestible and yet full of enough emotional fuel to really get a cult-like following going (not necessarily here, you're going to use your refinement on other platforms potentially), however the effort involved with that isn't really worth it for me just to prove to you what you are doing. I'll let the other readers here use those usernames to notice start-to-end what you've done and unfortunately for you, your 'real beliefs' leaked on mgtowdemon which you assumed nobody would catch but I did and everyone except the 2 mods (who are too inactive or preoccupied at the moment to properly converse with me about it) that I have PM'd about it sees it clear as day.

RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Barney
@Vader
@MisterChris
when you're ready to stop your slumber, let me know btw
Mesmer
Mesmer
I invited you to quote me on anything wherein I advocated fascism, so that you had evidence to support your claim.

You decided instead to go on a rant about what "fascists" do. Therefore, you still don't have any evidence that I'm a "fascist".

But you've debunked yourself the best: "however the effort involved with that isn't really worth it for me just to prove to you what you are doing." -- You've literally admitted that you haven't proven I'm a fascist, and you won't do this because you can't be bothered to make the "effort".

Even you agree that you don't have evidence to support the argument you're making.

This is yet again a Progressive going on an irrelevant Ad Hominem derailment in a thread that has nothing to do with fascism.
Wylted
Wylted
-->
@RationalMadman
that is the scary thing about the coming technological singularity. It had the potential to bring great good, but what is the point of a more technological society that is a detriment to humans