43 percent approve of Biden. 43% say he is mentally sharp.

Author: Greyparrot

Total: 39
Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
949havoc
Debates: 7
949havoc
-->
@Greyparrot
That's a loser on both counts.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@949havoc
How do you explain the reason for 43% of Americans not being able to determine objective signs of mental decay and dysfunction?
949havoc
949havoc
-->
@Greyparrot
Politically, they share the same dysfunction. It appears normal to them. That's because every policy progressives have has its dissociative counter-policy, such as the fact that every electric car makes use of petroleum for lubrication, or that abortion, taking the ultimate in innocence, is considered rational, but the death penalty, taking the ultimate in guilt, is not. Money is demanded to clean the environment, but it cannot clean the clouds.
cristo71
Debates: 1
cristo71
Biden is the best POTUS that communist China ever had.

What they say is true:  elections have consequences…
FLRW
Debates: 0
FLRW
Jan 18, 2021 — WASHINGTON, D.C. -- As President Donald Trump prepares to leave the White House, 34% of Americans approve of the job he is doing as President.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@FLRW
That was after the big lie of Jan 6 being an actual objective threat to DC Democracy. 
Mentally Sharp Biden still continues to lie to this day about the amount of DC officers killed above the number zero.
Congress went on with business as usual without a single hiccup.

Do you think Biden is Mentally Sharp as well?

Are you one of the 43 percenters?
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@Double_R
@drlebronski
Are you one of the current 43 percenters?
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@FLRW
What's the big lie that makes only 43% of Americans consider Biden Mentally Sharp?
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@949havoc
That's all speculation. We need one of our resident Dart expert 43 percenters to explain this.
dustryder
Debates: 5
dustryder
-->
@Greyparrot
You aren't going to get more than speculation. That said for any president, there is always going to be a minimum base support composed of the uninformed or crazy (Which is what FLRW is pointing out).

That and I suspect that while Biden is clearly showing his age in many instances, many people are making a bigger deal out of it than what others are.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@dustryder
So why do so many people interpret the things Biden says as mentally sharp, or is this a matter of faith?

I don't remember any Trump supporter saying he was particularly sharp or witty with his speech as most of the Trump supporters I knew personally couldn't stand the man and questioned his abilities, but absolutely supported the things he did.

Not a single one of them would say with a straight face that Trump was "mentally sharp"

With Biden, every one of the 43% that approves of Biden also says he is mentally sharp...that's what's confusing to me.
FLRW
FLRW
-->
@Greyparrot
Yes, I think Biden is mentally sharp. His compassion shows this.  Research has shown that people with reduced empathy have cognitive decline.
Remember that as a student at Catholic school, Biden struggled with a stutter — a speech condition that, at the time, was often regarded as a sign of low intelligence.
The bullying Biden endured on account of his stuttering would prove to be formative.
Equally formative would be Biden’s efforts to manage his stutter. Determined to overcome it, Biden took action in a way that would define his approach to life and politics: Just keep pushing. If you fail, try again. Work hard. Persevere.
“Biden would stand in front of his bedroom mirror holding a flashlight to his face and he would recite Yeats and Emerson,” says Jon Hendrickson, a senior editor for The Atlantic who has profiled Biden and who stutters himself, describing a method Biden used to bring his stutter under control and gain confidence.
Biden’s pushing would pay off. Eventually, the boy who had been bullied at school became president of his senior class.
“Many people would say Biden’s stutter is among his most visible weaknesses, if not number one,” Hendrickson says. “But it’s also a source of his strength. It’s also the main source of his grit and his determination, to just be there competing.

Trump was 72 when he said, “My father is German. Right? Was German. And born in a very wonderful place in Germany.” In fact, his father was born in the Bronx and it was his grandfather who was from Germany.
Dementia Care International says a "person may start to mix up relationships and generations” in the second stage of dementia. 
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@FLRW
Yes, I think Biden is mentally sharp. His compassion shows this. 

So mental function is a product of emotion for the 43 percenters? Help me out here.

Can you show me a real life example of a compassionate person that is not considered "Mentally Sharp?"
FLRW
FLRW
-->
@Greyparrot
Can you show me a real life example of a compassionate person that is not considered "Mentally Sharp?"
No, can you?
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@FLRW
Alright, Thanks, at least it explains the polling.
RationalMadman
Debates: 564
RationalMadman
-->
@FLRW
Are you suggesting that people with Down's Syndrome, for instance, can't be compassionate? I don't understand your stance here.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@FLRW
There are highly intelligent psychopaths and extremely compassionate people with learning disabilities, I don't follow your stance here at all.
FLRW
FLRW
-->
@RationalMadman
Psychopaths are less intelligent than average, new research finds.
Contrary to the common view of the psychopath as a criminal mastermind, they score below par on intelligence tests.
In general, psychopaths tend to do rather poorly in school — they are more interested in sensation-seeking, such as taking drugs.
Perhaps one of the reasons psychopaths appear more intelligent is their confidence in social situations.
Psychopaths can quickly take charge and they also have a superficial charm.
Both factors can lead us into thinking they are also highly intelligent — but not so, it is probably all bluster.
The research pulled together the results of 187 different studies including over 9,000 people whose intelligence and psychopathic tendencies were measured.
The study’s authors explain the results:
“The results of the current meta-analysis produced a small, but significant effect size suggesting that individuals who score higher on measures of psychopathic traits tend to score lower on measures of IQ.”
Psychopaths are generally dishonest, manipulative and lacking in empathy.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@FLRW
The reason for that is the smart ones don't go a psychiatrist and get diagnosed as one. You really are using useless statistics. Most of those stats pool sociopaths in with psychopaths.

There are highly intelligent psychopaths and even highly intelligent sociopaths, while there are extremely empathetic learning-disabled people and very empathetic people who had deteriorating brain function.

There are also low-intelligent sociopaths and low-intelligent learning disabled people. 

There is not a correlation in either direction and if there is, it's very slight. Where exactly have you found a link?
Vader
Debates: 30
Vader
-->
@Greyparrot
Makes sense
dustryder
Debates: 5
dustryder
-->
@Greyparrot
So why do so many people interpret the things Biden says as mentally sharp, or is this a matter of faith?
What are people specifically interpreting? The average person is not going to hear endless soundbites of Biden misspeaks. I think the average person is going to hear him do one or two speeches in which he does a passable job.

I don't remember any Trump supporter saying he was particularly sharp or witty with his speech as most of the Trump supporters I knew personally couldn't stand the man and questioned his abilities, but absolutely supported the things he did.

Not a single one of them would say with a straight face that Trump was "mentally sharp"
That's fine, but how does this translate to polling? Because this poll https://today.yougov.com/topics/politics/trackers/donald-trump-honest indicates that 33%~ of registered voters think that Trump was honest and trustworthy.

Wylted
Debates: 34
Wylted
-->
@Greyparrot
I thought you were joking about mentally sharp. I can see approving and thinking he has dementia, but anyone who thinks he is mentally sharp is beyond help. I know the media is complicit in covering up his terrible cognitive decline, but even they just can't seem to really hide it all that well. 

This is honestly sick that most democrats can clearly see he has the symptoms of dementia, they see how he is hidden from the media, only works off teleprompter, refuses to take unscripted questions from the press. They see gaffes that even George Bush would not have done and George Bush was full of gaffes because his brain worked faster than his mouth and he would get lost in thought. 

The American public is terrible. It really is about party allegiance and nothing else. We came a long way from every single human seeing Reagan had dementia late in his presidency that crossed political barriers, to now democrats refusing to see it, when Biden’s dementia early into his presidency is worse than Reagan dementia was his last year of presidency 
949havoc
949havoc
-->
@RationalMadman
There are highly intelligent psychopaths
Joe Biden is not one of them
ebuc
ebuc
-->
@FLRW
Jan 18, 2021 — WASHINGTON, D.C. -- As President Donald Trump prepares to leave the White House, 34% of Americans approve of the job he is doing as President.

Just saw Liz Cheney on 60 minutes.  Thank God for republicans with moral integrity.  Kudos to this woman for opposing the 74 million{?} trumpeteer psychotic { potentially } nutcases ---at least 34% of trumpeteers---   in USA. THANK YOU !   Liz Cheney @ dot spit on Trumpet psychosis

ebuc
ebuc
-->
@Greyparrot
Just saw Liz Cheney on 60 minutes.  Thank God for republicans with moral integrity.  Kudos to this woman for opposing the 74 million{?} trumpeteer psychotic { potentially } nutcases ---at least 34% of trumpeteers---   in USA. THANK YOU !   Liz Cheney @ dot spit on Trumpet psychosis

Compassionate { access to empathy centers } Biden is better as president, than Trump is, as a compassionate and rational human.

Orange is the new psychotic, dark maleficent wind 

Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@dustryder
That's fine, but how does this translate to polling? Because this poll https://today.yougov.com/topics/politics/trackers/donald-trump-honest indicates that 33%~ of registered voters think that Trump was honest and trustworthy.

What about "Mentally Sharp" ?

This seems to be specific to the 43 percenters only.

janesix
Debates: 12
janesix
How do you explain the reason for 43% of Americans not being able to determine objective signs of mental decay and dysfunction?
Denial. Because they voted for him, now must stick behind him.

I think a lot of it is exaggerated though. He's not that bad off I dont think.

Double_R
Debates: 3
Double_R
-->
@Greyparrot
So why do so many people interpret the things Biden says as mentally sharp,
Because most of the things he says are.

The difference between us is that people like me listen to what he actually says, people like you listen only to the sound bite compilations they put together on Fox News.

Biden has his moments and those moments have certainly increased with age. I would not put him on the level of, say Obama when it comes to his sharpness, but the claims that he is some old senile man are just plain stupid.

And what’s most ridiculous about this is the fact that these criticisms come from the same people who support Donald Trump, the most incoherent public official we’ve ever seen. So it’s one thing to point out Biden’s decline, but to make that an argument against him while supporting someone who is so much worse is just ridiculous and shows you to be an unserious person to have this discussion with.
Ramshutu
Debates: 43
Ramshutu
Most of Biden’s issue is misplacing words - I have that specific problem a lot; and yet design critical algorithms for billion dollar industrial systems.

While he’s not as sharp as 30 years ago; he’s able to convey some pretty complex stuff.

I think the worst and most incoherent sentence Biden has ever said compared to the worst sentence in one randomly selected Trump interview from the past 6 years makes Biden look like a genius.

“You know what uranium is, right? It’s this thing called nuclear weapons. And other things. Like lots of things are done with uranium. Including some bad things. But nobody talks about that.”