Author: EtrnlVw

Total: 37
EtrnlVw
Debates: 0
EtrnlVw
-->
@zedvictor4
Really exemplifies the limits of one track 

Yes, the responses I have gotten so far really do. 
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@EtrnlVw
We are going with what YOU think God would be like and what they would want
That would be pure unfounded conjecture by necessity. I can tell you fables if you like but I would be honest about having made the story up.
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@EtrnlVw
Incoming fable/conjecture. 

IF some god(s) exist then my observations of the world tell me that they are either

1. Disinterested in human affairs entirely 

2. Has a goal other than improving wellbeing 

Or

3. Unable to effect the course of human events sufficient to minimize human suffering particularly from non human sources (should you personally believe they wouldn't interfere with the will of rapists and murderers because of the myth of freewill)
EtrnlVw
EtrnlVw
-->
@secularmerlin
That would be pure unfounded conjecture by necessity. I can tell you fables if you like but I would be honest about having made the story up.

How do you know that anything you describe about God would be conjecture? I mean you can mock this obviously but don't you believe that if a God exists, that you also would be very much apart of that Reality? or do you not feel that way, why do you feel you have no say in the equation?  

1. Disinterested in human affairs entirely 

May I ask why you believe that? in your words, why would God be disinterested in what was created?

Do you think your life is incapable of improving your well being? what do you consider well being, material comfort or self improvement? 

3. Unable to effect the course of human events sufficient to minimize human suffering particularly from non human sources (should you personally believe they wouldn't interfere with the will of rapists and murderers because of the myth of freewill)

What if human suffering IS the course of human experience? 

So far you only told me what you think God WOULDN'T do or have, can you add anything you think God would have or do? perhaps be like? 

secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@EtrnlVw
How do you know that anything you describe about God would be conjecture?
Because I do not know anything about any god(s) including whether any even exist. That is literally what conjecture means. I know it would be conjecture because it is conjecture definitionally. In the same way I know a polygon with three sides is a triangle.
why do you feel you have no say in the equation?  
I do have no say in what actually exists. It either does or does not and I don't think much of the omnipotence of a god who might be bent to my will rather than the other way around. 
May I ask why you believe that? in your words, why would God be disinterested in what was created?
I do not know why such a being would be disinterested I only know that I see no sufficient evidence of divine intervention or supernatural occurrence of any kind.

Do you think your life is incapable of improving your well being? what do you consider well being, material comfort or self improvement? 

What does this question have to do with any god(s) does it? In any case I will try to answer. I am capable of improving my wellbeing and the wellbeing of others if I am empathetic and willing to put in the effort. I consider wellbeing to be physical and mental but as I do not recognize any spiritual or supernatural I am unconcerned about so called spiritual wellbeing. It requires a level of physical comfort brought on by having ones physical needs met and ideally would encourage self improvement. 
What if human suffering IS the course of human experience? 
Humans do not cause earthquakes or droughts or childhood leukemia. Some subset of human suffering is human caused but I am most particularly concerned here with suffering that sees to come from the simple indifference of the universe. 
So far you only told me what you think God WOULDN'T do or have, can you add anything you think God would have or do? perhaps be like? 

So far as I can tell no god(s) do anything or ever have done anything. 
SkepticalOne
Debates: 9
SkepticalOne
-->
@EtrnlVw
See...this is what I am referring to when I say you're smuggling your own assumptions in.

Enlighten me on how I did so? In one scenario God exists and the other no God exists.

No. That's not a given. I mentioned many possible gods previously and not all run contrary to materialism. Clearly, you must be thinking of a god which isn't material and which could not exist if materialism were true.

Plus, I don't know of I've had this conversation with you, but the absence of belief in a god doesn't automatically make someone a materialist. Surely, you must know some atheists believe in ghosts and all manner of immaterial things. 

Tl;dr: Not all god concepts run contrary to materialism. Non belief doesn't necessitate materialism.
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@EtrnlVw
Nice jibe.

So I accept any idea as a possibility.......Can you say that you do?

Even your GOD idea is a possibility.

But absolute acceptance of a single but unprovable idea, is undoubtedly one track.