Why is AstraZeneca not an approved vaccine in the US if it's agreed to produce and export for it?

Author: RationalMadman

Total: 8
RationalMadman
Debates: 564
RationalMadman
"It's appalling the way AstraZeneca has been treated. I wouldn't blame them if they were thoroughly fed up and decided to bow out of the Covid vaccine business."
That was the view from one of the biggest institutional investors in the UK.
It's not a view the pharmaceutical giant and its talismanic boss Pascal Soriot would have expected to hear, having developed a safe, effective vaccine at breakneck speed, signing contracts to deliver nearly two billion doses and doing it all without making a profit.
Mr Soriot could be forgiven perhaps for thinking he would be getting a medal.
Instead he is getting brickbats from EU politicians like Belgian MEP Philippe Lamberts, who has accused the company of dishonesty and arrogance, in the way he alleges, it has "over-promised and under-delivered".
Some are suggesting that the whole endeavour has been more trouble than it is worth.
AstraZeneca has foregone over $20bn (£14.5bn) in revenue, while becoming a household name in the EU and the US for all the wrong reasons.
Some investors have even questioned Pascal Soriot's position as chief executive.
Astra has become a political football in a European blame game.
One minute his compatriot, the French President Emmanuel Macron, is describing the vaccine as "quasi-ineffective", and the next, President Macron is volunteering to have the jab himself and backing a move to block exports outside the EU.

Based on what I read, AZ is worldwide the best option, especially for poorer nations. If you have issues either with blood clotting or blood retention then don't take it but otherwise it should be fine. I am not here to speak against Pfizer and Moderna but I'll do so against Pfizer if need be as I deeply resent how they've been blackmailing countries to take liability and cover their (Pfizer's) full legal fees even having military base locations as collateral (yes, really).

Why are some countries so anti-AZ? 
Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
When are you going to stop shilling for big pharma and big government?
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
but pfizer, moderna and J&J are approved, why isn't AZ? US officially agrees to work with AZ and export on its behalf.

so, my question isn't about big pharma, it's about the competition to big pharma, a non-profit campaign by AZ.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
You don't compete with big pharma or big government. You only become a statistic.

If you don't make a profit, you can't pay the politicians.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
I would typically oppose your take here but regarding the US, specifically, this seems to be the case.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
I'm glad you can get past Ad Homs to see reason.
FLRW
Debates: 0
FLRW

Similar to the Johnson & Johnson COVID-19 vaccine, the AstraZeneca vaccine relies on a chimpanzee adenovirus to carry spike proteins from the coronavirus into your body to create an immune response.
Adenovirus is a very common virus. Usually causing mild illnesses like the common cold, adenoviruses are widespread and efficient. There are more than 50 types of adenoviruses that cause respiratory infections, and they are good at moving into and attacking the body in various ways. A chimpanzee adenovirus is an adenovirus that causes these infections in chimpanzees.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@FLRW
That answered nothing.