Postmodernism and the far left’s war against reality

Author: cristo71

Total: 62
cristo71
Debates: 1
cristo71
-->
@thett3
Thomas Jefferson wrote "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness" and I would say that this is the closest thing to a one sentence summary of American cultures core values as you could get. 

Agree 100%

The point of my ramblings is that I think liberals are basically just following the philosophical values that America was founded on and that conservatives claim to hold to their logical conclusion, so the conservative is pretty hapless to resist. Distinctions inherently create inequality, and so the less meaningful we can make the distinctions the less relevant the inequality. A new philosophy is needed, along with a spiritual awakening...it's going to happen eventually but don't count on seeing it in your lifetime imo

I don’t think I agree. The Jeffersonian ideal is equality under the law— equal rights to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. Quite true, people are not literally born equal in traits, talents, abilities, and health. It’s just that as far as the government is concerned, it seeks to maintain equality under the law. Leftists want more than that— they want the government to provide more equal outcomes to those deemed less fortunate (“fortunate” being a very open-ended word in this context), to provide happiness to those who aren’t happy, not just equal opportunity to pursue it. So, I wouldn’t say they are taking the Jeffersonian ideal to its logical conclusion.

24 days later

cristo71
Debates: 1
cristo71
For anyone who might be interested, here is a good debate on the question “Do free societies need postmodernism?”