24 Hours, No MI School Shooting Topic?

Author: ludofl3x

Total: 70
ludofl3x
Debates: 0
ludofl3x
Just strikes me as strange, it's like we don't even care. I heard someone say "it was only three kids," which is disheartening as a parent. What's the deal, are we just indifferent, or do we not want to discuss it? 
Polytheist-Witch
Debates: 1
Polytheist-Witch
Pretty sure you can go to any topic on guns and address the issue there's at least 17 I'm sure in this section.
RationalMadman
Debates: 568
RationalMadman
-->
@ludofl3x
I discuss it regularly. Takes real idiots to go IF ONLY ALL THOSE KIDS HAD GUNS TO KILL DA SHOOTA instead of realising the issue is that guns aren't difficult to get hold of.
ludofl3x
ludofl3x
-->
@Polytheist-Witch
That's another way of saying "it's just another school shooting."
ILikePie5
Debates: 2
ILikePie5
It’s sad. Mental health is a big problem in the United States, especially after the pandemic.
Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
-->
@ILikePie5
According to the CDC: About 90% of school-associated youth homicide incidents from 1994-2016 involved only one victim.

So if you are one of the lucky 10% that gets in the media, then your death matters. Otherwise, Democrats say 90% of the dead kids can go to hell.
Lemming
Debates: 6
Lemming
-->
@ludofl3x
Myself, I'm indifferent,
But also, I don't start many forums.
Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
-->
@Greyparrot
I think it has to be four or more victims to be a mass killing. Probably why the media never picked it up.
oromagi
Debates: 117
oromagi
-->
@ludofl3x
24 Hours, No MI School Shooting Topic?
On a website averaging less than 1 topic per 24 hr period, I don't think many conclusions can be inferred from the fact- many important events get no topic.

zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@ludofl3x
It's just another school shooting ludo.

What else do you expect.

It's what Americans vote for.
Athias
Debates: 20
Athias
-->
@ludofl3x
Just strikes me as strange, it's like we don't even care. I heard someone say "it was only three kids," which is disheartening as a parent. What's the deal, are we just indifferent, or do we not want to discuss it? 
What is it that you intend the onlookers to take away from these events--i.e. school shootings?

Athias
Athias
-->
@zedvictor4
What else do you expect.

It's what Americans vote for.
It sure is. It's been subject to public referendum since April of 1999. But I suppose you indulge that post hoc fallacy after the Dublane shootings in '96 do you, despite the recent incident in Plymouth, right?

ludofl3x
ludofl3x
-->
@Athias
I don't intend them to take away anything from school shootings, I don't do school shootings. 
Athias
Athias
-->
@ludofl3x
I don't intend them to take away anything from school shootings, I don't do school shootings. 
Is that what you got from my question? Let me rephrase: what response do you intend the onlookers to express after acknowledging that this school shooting has taken place? You questioned their "caring about the subject." You question whether they were indifferent. So I'm asking you: what is caring? What is not being indifferent as it pertains to this subject?
ludofl3x
ludofl3x
-->
@Athias
what is caring? What is not being indifferent as it pertains to this subject?
I know you're smart enough not to need me to define "caring" or "not being indifferent". 

Athias
Athias
-->
@ludofl3x
I know you're smart enough not to need me to define "caring" or "not being indifferent". 
I know I'm "smart enough," too. Hence, I'm not asking you to define "caring" or "not being indifferent." I'm asking you: how do you intend for them to express that they care or aren't indifferent? What can they state or do that would convince you that they "care" or are "not indifferent"?
ludofl3x
ludofl3x
-->
@Athias
This is a discussion board, so in this context, I would have expected people to express an opinion on the matter in some fashion. It seems from the lack of opinions expressed, as well as opinions like Polytheist Witch's, that indeed people here are in fact indifferent enough to not bother discussing it. Or to discuss the lack of discussion on a national scale, because I guess not enough kids died. When I'm indifferent toward a topic, I don't post in it. 
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@ludofl3x
The solution, when brutal emotions about how to punish and make an example of school shooters and such are removed from the equation, is to incapacitate the wrongdoer as much as possible.

A gun can kill like very few other weapons (only worse thing is explosives or nerve agents), it doesn't belong in the hands of any ordinary citizen nor even any blade that isn't used for anything other than killing or showing off is needed to be legal.

Remove them. Mental health and the rest needs work yes but the ability of a lunatic to act on their urges lethally needs to be 100% stopped that is absolutely the role of law enforcers.
Athias
Athias
-->
@ludofl3x
This is a discussion board, so in this context, I would have expected people to express an opinion on the matter in some fashion. It seems from the lack of opinions expressed, as well as opinions like Polytheist Witch's, that indeed people here are in fact indifferent enough to not bother discussing it. Or to discuss the lack of discussion on a national scale, because I guess not enough kids died. When I'm indifferent toward a topic, I don't post in it. 
So the lack of submitted/expressed opinions is what led you to characterize the response as indifferent? You also made a point to include Polytheist-Witch's comment as that which you'd characterize as indifferent. I urge you to read that comment again, especially in context. Polytheist-Witch was responding to Greyparrot, who pointed out that 90% of school-related youth homicides involved just one victim. Hence, the media doesn't pick it up. Polytheist-Witch supplemented Greyparrot's point by correctly defining (at least according to the Congressional Research Service) that mass shootings/killings involves four or more victims. Polytheist-Witch at least from the statement submitted wasn't attempting to trivialize the deaths of three children, but offering an explanation as to the reason the media hasn't picked it up. Wouldn't that count as "discuss[ing] the lack of discussion on a national scale"?

Polytheist-Witch:
Greyparrot:
--> @ILikePie5
According to the CDC: About 90% of school-associated youth homicide incidents from 1994-2016 involved only one victim.

So if you are one of the lucky 10% that gets in the media, then your death matters. Otherwise, Democrats say 90% of the dead kids can go to hell.
--> @Greyparrot
I think it has to be four or more victims to be a mass killing. Probably why the media never picked it up.

ludofl3x
ludofl3x
-->
@Athias
So the lack of submitted/expressed opinions is what led you to characterize the response as indifferent? 
Yes.

Polytheist-Witch was responding to Greyparrot
Not in post #2.

Pretty sure you can go to any topic on guns and address the issue there's at least 17 I'm sure in this section.
This I read as inured to the topic at hand. 
Athias
Athias
-->
@ludofl3x
 Polytheist-Witch was responding to Greyparrot
Not in post #2.

This I read as inured to the topic at hand. 
Fair enough. But this begs the question: what is it about this incident that separates it from the prevailing discussion over firearms?

Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot

Remove them. Mental health and the rest needs work yes but the ability of a lunatic to act on their urges lethally needs to be 100% stopped that is absolutely the role of law enforcers.

We are about 3 decades away from removing the genes that cause aggression.
ludofl3x
ludofl3x
-->
@Athias
what is it about this incident that separates it from the prevailing discussion over firearms?
What's the prevailing discussion over firearms, where is it, I'll look at it and tell you what's different. The concern I have is four children were sent to school and will never come home again, and the reaction seems to be a collective "Well, it happens." Is that the prevailing discussion over firearms?
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
 the ability of a lunatic to act on their urges lethally
How does this translate to me saying:

the ability of a lunatic to have the urge
which is what you referred to, GreyParrot
Athias
Athias
-->
@ludofl3x
What's the prevailing discussion over firearms, where is it, I'll look at it and tell you what's different. The concern I have is four children were sent to school and will never come home again, and the reaction seems to be a collective "Well, it happens." Is that the prevailing discussion over firearms?
Who has stated or insinuated, "well, it happens..."? The only member who meets this description is zedvictor4, whose comment was a not so subtle jab at U.S. policy on firearms. What are or were you expecting the members here to state or do?
Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
I didn't work in juvenile probation because I was indifferent to kids getting shot at school. I actually enjoyed working with you and now delinquents and juveniles at risk. The fact is just like adult crimes where adults are the victims there are juvenile crimes where juveniles are the victims. It's not a matter of indifference is a statement of fact and honestly the matter of guns gets addressed here constantly I didn't even know this had happened to you posted here because it didn't even come up on my news. Once the fourth victim died it did because then it becomes a mass shooting under the law and that's what makes it interesting to the news media. But I have to say I don't know what would be addressed in this topic on guns that haven't been addressed in other topics on guns the fact is  getting rid of the guns won't stop juveniles from committing crime on one another and I don't feel I should have to give up my guns because some criminals somewhere uses them. I don't like the fact people are starting to drive cars in the crowds of people I certainly don't want to lose my car for it. So maybe I am indifferent because when I look at the topic I know that no matter what we addressed nothing's going to get done because it has nothing to do with guns but that's what it's about and it seems indifferent because I have guns and therefore I don't want to blame guns. I'm a blame people kind of person and until we start addressing some of the problems with the United States in general it's going to continue to happen it's been happening since what's his hell climbed up the clock tower.
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Athias
The bad guy will out.

No getting away from that.

But in terms of gun law, gun accessibility and gun fever there's no comparison.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
What is a gun used for other than killing? Do explain.

Cars have a very blatant use.
Athias
Athias
-->
@zedvictor4
But in terms of gun law, gun accessibility and gun fever there's no comparison.
Apples and oranges. Firearms regulations have not been proven to reduce homicide or violence. So what are proponents of stringent firearm regulations or prohibitions attempting to accomplish other than to demobilize the general populace?
ludofl3x
ludofl3x
-->
@Athias
What are or were you expecting the members here to state or do?
Discuss it, if it's a topic that interests them. As no one including you seems to be interested in discussing it, I conclude it's not that interesting a topic, which is another way to say "no one here cares about this." Maybe I should have posted in current events.