sadolite
Debates: 0
sadolite
"Science" Bet your life on it.

23 days later

ebuc
ebuc
...."A lot of us were assuming that it was going to quickly take off in the United States just like it was doing in Europe and become the new dominant variant," says Nathan Grubaugh, an associate professor of epidemiology at the Yale School of Public Health.
So far that hasn't happened. Instead, BA.2 has slowly, but steadily spread even as the omicron surge continued to dissipate. The fear is that spread may be on track to rapidly accelerate in the near future. "....

..." Vaccines are available for these 18 dangerous or deadly diseases. "...

..." So far, the WHO has only two (2) eradicated diseases on their list. All thanks to the success of vaccines, smallpox caused by the variola virus (VARV) and rinderpest from the rinderpest virus (RPV) are now entirely wiped out of existence. "....

7 days later

Thoth
Debates: 6
Thoth
There are two important concepts here of which I've never seen anyone demonstrating understanding.

One, the vaccine that's injected into your arm is a manufactured product, rather than a scientific abstraction, so it's meaningless to say anything like, "The vaccine is safe," or, "The vaccine has been subject to peer-reviewed studies demonstrating its safety and efficacy." Which 'the vaccine?' Which dose from which bottle on which shelf of which model made by which manufacturer?

Two, if an approach to determining safety is purely statistical, it logically cannot establish whether or not something is safe over a longer time period than that studied. Regardless of how powerful your supercomputer is, how professional your researchers are, or how well you design the trial, it's a contradiction to say that you studied a vaccine's safety profile for a few months or years and then express confidence that it won't cause problems 20 years down the line. Nobody knows enough about the vaccine's precise interactions with the human body to be certain of that, and this is before you recall from the previous paragraph that there is no 'the vaccine' or 'the human body.' This is the rotting foundation at the bottom of modern medicine, and much of modern science too. If we studied the safety of smoking cigarettes as we do with Covid-19 vaccines, we'd conclude that smoking doesn't cause lung cancer, since that only happens many years after initiation of habitual smoking.

I suppose you could argue that problems like these are inherent to technological society because we can't possibly understand every detail of every technology and its consequences, but my skepticism remains. I never thought I'd see the left effectively bootlicking Big Pharma, but here we are.
sadolite
sadolite
-->
@Thoth
You clearly don't know how science works anymore. See the way science works now, you have what are called experts and you believe everything they say because they are experts. Get it?
Thoth
Thoth
-->
@sadolite
A new study by experts shows that experts are always right, experts say.
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Thoth
A new study shows, that real experts are experts because they have acquired expertise, often right, but never 100%.

We cannot expect 100% from anything except life and death.

Nonetheless expertise increases overall life expectancy and staves of death, in too many ways to list.

So vaccines might have a longer term detrimental effect....But you're probably living 20,30, 40, 50 years longer than you once would have anyway.

And so might a million things have along term detrimental effects.....Life being one of them for sure.

Thoth
Thoth
-->
@zedvictor4
I, being a 22-year-old with no underlying conditions except perhaps some excess adipose tissue, am unlikely to experience long-term detrimental effects from Covid-19. I already had Omicron in January, and my symptoms were indistinguishable from those of a normal cold. I regret having opted for double-vaccination last year, if only because I now oppose mass vaccination for those outside high-risk groups.
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Thoth
So you acquired Omicron after you were double vaccinated, and fortunately you only had mild symptoms....Good.

Same for a lot of people much older than you.

Maybe this is proof of the efficacy of the vaccination programme.

Maybe, just maybe, the ruling  elite weren't actually out to get you.
Thoth
Thoth
-->
@zedvictor4
I never suggested that any ruling elite were out to get me, nor anything comparable to that. You baselessly projected onto me your belief that anyone who raises points which could feasibly engender views even remotely skeptical of mass vaccination against Covid-19 is a hyper-conspiratorial lunatic, thus betraying a deficiency in both reading comprehension and recognition of novel viewpoints.
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@sadolite
A basic misunderstanding of science.

Science will either prove or disprove a theory.

Science will either forward understanding and knowledge, or it wont.

Lacking real scientific abilities and resenting other peoples expertise, just leads to rash supposition and ultimately to the unscientific, unproveable conspiracy theories, that are regularly put forward but never proved.

zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Thoth
Nicely composed.

More becoming that your conspiracy tittle tattle with Mr Sadolite.

Nonetheless...I also made other more pertinent points, that you chose to ignore.
Thoth
Thoth
-->
@zedvictor4
I understand and respect science in the abstract. However, contemporary mainstream 'scientists' exemplify the scientific method about as well as contemporary law enforcement embody civic virtue, i.e., generally with at best a detached, professional devotion devoid of enthusiasm for their profession's aforementioned nominal ideals, and with an indeterminable but certainly high rate of abject miscarriage. Revering the Platonic ideal of an institution does not imply mindless, blithering trust in any incarnation of that institution.
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Thoth
Nicely composed again.

I haven't the time for a long winded sociological essay now.

Nonetheless, I would suggest that the above still seems to have an unwritten air of conditioned resentment within it.

But one cannot as yet gauge the true mindset of Thoth.
ebuc
ebuc
-->
@zedvictor4
.." the above still seems to have an unwritten air of conditioned resentment within it. "...
Resentment of science? Not in the 21st century.  We have people who shun the word science and the scientific methodology, in favor all else.

Resentment of facts that contagions exists and vaccines that work.  Humanity is at war with itself. Go figure.

WHO list of avaible vaccines and those in pipeline., not a list of voodoo quackery

Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
-->
@Thoth
If we studied the safety of smoking cigarettes as we do with Covid-19 vaccines, we'd conclude that smoking doesn't cause lung cancer, since that only happens many years after initiation of habitual smoking.
Bingo.

sadolite
sadolite
-->
@Greyparrot
I read a study that showed smokers were less likely to get covid. I smoke, never take or took any precautions and have never had covid. Does that mean anything Nope. https://geneticliteracyproject.org/2021/10/13/smokers-are-less-likely-to-get-covid-french-researchers-explore-whether-nicotine-might-prevent-transmission/
Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
-->
@sadolite
Probably because smokers are also less likely to be obese.
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@sadolite
I would suggest, just from a thoughtfully logical view point, that the long term detrimental effects of deliberate cigarette smoke inhalation, cannot be beneficial to living systems.

But then, the long term effects of living also has it's drawbacks.

A single aberration in DNA coding might already have us singled out for a earlier than hoped for demise.

So enjoy living whilst it's still possible to do so.
sadolite
sadolite
-->
@zedvictor4
I'm kinda glad I only have  10 or 20 years left. Being alive aint so much fun anymore like it was 30 years ago. The whole world is mired in angst and doom now.
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@sadolite
Ah. 

But even though things might seem grimmer these days to us 60ish type people.

The mire of doom and angst is only really inside ones head if one lets it persist there.

And where from did/do we acquire this angst laden mire of doom?

I believe it's known as IT.

That marvellous technological revolution that was going to make our lives so easy.
sadolite
sadolite
-->
@zedvictor4
I cant escape the policies and actions of the doomsayers. They make life miserable for everyone. They control everything. Doesn't matter if I pretend life is good and there is hope for the future. There can be no hope with the people who control everything. Their goal is total control of everything and everyone. I see no hope in that. And it gonna change.
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@sadolite
Oh dear.

Society is always controlled.

But perhaps in not the way that you think you want it to be controlled.

You would just want to control society differently.

So what changes would you make?

The opposite of control is no control, and I'm not sure that would be much fun either.
ebuc
ebuc
-->
@zedvictor4
The opposite of control is no control, and I'm not sure that would be much fun either.
I think Covid is control and that is way the Orange right likes it.   Why?

The Altantic.....By Ed Yong.   MARCH 8, 2022, 7 AM ET.

.." the united states reported more deaths from COVID-19 last Friday than deaths from Hurricane Katrina, more on any two recent weekdays than deaths during the 9/11 terrorist attacks, more last month than deaths from flu in a bad season, and more in two years than deaths from HIV during the four decades of the AIDS epidemic.

.....At least 953,000 Americans have died from COVID, and the true toll is likely even higher because many deaths went uncounted. COVID is now the third leading cause of death in the U.S., after only heart disease and cancer, which are both catchall terms for many distinct diseases. The sheer scale of the tragedy strains the moral imagination. On May 24, 2020, as the United States passed 100,000 recorded deaths, The New York Times filled its front page with the names of the dead, describing their loss as “incalculable.” Now the nation hurtles toward a milestone of 1 million. What is 10 times incalculable? "

..." In a study of 29 high-income countries, the U.S. experienced the largest decline in life expectancy in 2020 and, unlike much of Europe, did not bounce back in 2021. It was also the only country whose lowered life span was driven mainly by deaths among people under 60. Dying from COVID robbed each American of about a decade of life on average. As a whole, U.S. life expectancy fell by two years—the largest such decline in almost a century. Neither World War II nor any of the flu pandemics that followed it dented American longevity so badly. "...

..." Andrew Noymer, the demographer, thinks that COVID will kill fewer people per year than it has in the past two, but will probably still be more lethal than the flu, which sets a plausible and very wide range of somewhere between 50,000 and 500,000 annual deaths. (COVID will also continue to cause long-term disability.)

..." How much of this extra mortality will the U.S. accept? The CDC’s new guidelines provide a clue. They recommend that protective measures such as indoor masking kick in once communities pass certain thresholds of cases and hospitalizations. But the health-policy experts Joshua Salomon and Alyssa Bilinski calculated that by the time communities hit the CDC’s thresholds, they’d be on the path to at least three daily deaths per million, which equates to 1,000 deaths per day nationally. And crucially, the warning lights would go off too late to prevent those deaths. “As a level of mortality the White House and CDC are willing to accept before calling for more public health protection, this is heartbreaking,” Salomon said on Twitter. "......

sadolite
sadolite
-->
@zedvictor4
"But perhaps in not the way that you think you want it to be controlled."  Correct, the way it is being controlled makes life suck for everyone. Everything is doom and gloom. All fun must stop, it will kill the planet.
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@sadolite
My life is just fine.

What is it that you cannot do, that makes you so unhappy?

Or do you just constantly  buy into negative social media and peer based propaganda?
sadolite
sadolite
-->
@zedvictor4
Inaccessibility to non private land, endless fucking taxes on everything that only exist to support the people who collect them and do nothing to help anyone but make me poorer,  Endless fucking regulation making it impossible to do my work with out breaking the law,  Dealing with govt assholes who don't know a fucking thing about what they criticize,  Having to bow to fucking whining losers who are offended by everything,. I could go on and on.  Oh and good for you, your life is just fine, maybe my interests don't reflect a single thing you like that makes your life just fine.  You like the world the way it is so everyone else should to I guess. If you like the way things are your standards are really really low in my opinion
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@sadolite
Let's be honest.

Who's whining?

And why is it always someone else's fault?

Maybe, just maybe, your own internal negativity is exactly what it is.

Perhaps something to do with setting unachievably high standards, and too much reliance on digital misinformation.
sadolite
sadolite
-->
@zedvictor4
You asked me a fucking question and I answered it. It is not whining. I answered your question directly and succinctly. Am I stopping myself from doing the things I listed? I didn't make up that worthless BS and impose it on the people.  I guess anyone who doesn't think like you is a whiner.  How AND WHAT does digital information have to do with anything I said.? What a total attempt at redirect and try to make it about me. I see right thru you and what you really are. 

zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@sadolite
It is about you, that's the point.

I like you am not a leader, we have adopted/adapted to other social niches.

But you are the type a person that constantly moans about those that have become leaders.

And fortunately you and I both live in countries where we are free to moan about our elected leaders.

Though I don't bother, because I am happy with the status quo and the freedom it affords me.

So if you're so unhappy with your lot, instead of moaning get up of your backside and go make a difference.

Alternatively you could just decide to be content with your lot, and channel all that energy you waste upon pointless negativity, into something positive.

So what's it to be?......Grumpy old git or contented bystander.
sadolite
sadolite
-->
@zedvictor4
"Grumpy old git or contented bystander." Neither I just don't interact with society when ever possible. Like I said I answered your question. The fact that you call it whining is completely and willfully disingenuous. You are happy with the level of tyranny in your life. I am not. I do the only thing I can do to combat it. Not vote for people in govt with your mindset.