Debates: 0
Stephen
He got a little Jail time then. 

Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
-->
@Stephen
I have a real hard time with people asking for accountability from politicians over something that has no direct impact on anyone but this guy,

I guess his attempt at starting a race war failed. 
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@Greyparrot

The  quote you  have used is not a quote of my own  GP. #32   It was a quote made by ludofl3x >> #8

I guess his attempt at starting a race war failed. 

And I suppose that we should all be thankful. I am baffled at the light sentence.  I searched for the Judges comments and of those I have read do not mention at all the possible consequences this fake story could have had for the city of Chicago and the wider America had he pulled it off. Such as those I mentioned at #1.

Stephen
Stephen
-->
@Outplayz
In general, i just want this to hurt his life, and that precedent set. I just want it to set a precedent that it destroys "your" life to do this. But i don't think this should be a prison thing

It appears we both got what we believed he deserved.  Jail term with a career destroyed. 

I couldn't agree more with the Judges summing up:

“You’re not the victim of a racist hate crime, you’re not the victim of a homopobic hate crime, you’re just a charlatan pretending to be the victim of a hate crime and that’s shameful especially,” .....

“You have another side of you that is profoundly arrogant and selfish and narcissistic and that bad side of you came out during the course of this,” the judge continued. 
“Your performance on the witness stand, this can only be described as pure perjury. You got on the witness stand … you committed hour upon hour upon hour of pure perjury."...

“Your very name has become an adverb for lying and I cannot imagine what could be worse than that.” ...........

“Hate crimes are the absolute worst and I believe you did damage to real hate crime victims. There are people who are actual genuine victims of hate crimes that you did damage to,” Linn railed............

“For you now to sit here convicted of hoaxing hate crimes, racial hate crimes, homophobic hate crimes, the hypocrisy is just astounding … you know better than anybody else these are serious matters.”

I think the judge hit the nail on the head when he told Smollett;

You knew this was a sore spot for everybody in this country and you knew this was a country slowly trying to heal … you took some scabs off some healing wounds and you  ripped them apart for one reason: You wanted to make yourself more famous,” Linn seethed.

Linn sentenced Smollett to 30 months of probation, the first five of which he must spend in the Cook County jail, and ordered him to pay the city of Chicago $120,000 in restitution and a $25,000 fine after he was found guilty on five counts of felony disorderly conduct following his eight-day trial late last year.

One doesn't need to be a psychoanalyst to agree with the judge, one simply has to remember that all actors, lie for a living..... that is why they should keep their political views to themselves and to simply vote with their feet....imo.

Stephen
Stephen
-->
@zedvictor4
Do you remember when I said this, Vic lad?

Stephen wrote: Besides, how far should this shite go back. Swathes of England/Wales were overran by Vikings if I am to hold any faith in my history teachers. Do I  now demand reparations from all Scandinavian countries for their "crimes" of the 9th century committed  by king Uthred or Queen Olga against my ancestors? Its a nonsense and any level headed person on the planet knows this.#19

John Cleese.13 March 2022

Comedy legend John Cleese had his microphone confiscated at the South by Southwest festival during a comedic discussion in which he suggested Italy and France owed historic reparations for enslaving Brits.
The Monty Python icon, 82,  was riffing with other comics in front of the crowd in Texas when he talked about the 'competition' between cultures over who has been more oppressed by colonisations throughout history. 
Pointing to world history being 'a history of crime', he added: 'It's a history of people who were stronger beating up people who were weaker and it's always been that. It's deeply, deeply distasteful.

Cleese explained: '[People] get competitive about this business of being oppressed. We were oppressed, the English, by the Romans from about 0 to 400.'

'I want reparations from Italy', he told the stunned crowd. 'And then the Normans came over in 1066... they were horrible people from France and they colonised us for 30 years and we need reparations there too, I'm afraid'.

zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Stephen
You and John Cleese.

Like peas in a pod.

Notwithstanding the Angles

And........Given the nature of migration from the cradle of humanity, I doubt that there is such a thing as a native Brit.

We're only as native as at the point in the past  we choose to start from.

I think that it's fair to say that we are all native earthlings.

So I don't feel that I can claim reparations from anyone.
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@zedvictor4
And........Given the nature of migration from the cradle of humanity, I doubt that there is such a thing as a native Brit.
Never the less.
 We, that is my mate and other "pea" John, spoke only of England,/English, Vic lad. Although I did include Wales.😊

But I won't split hairs.😊
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Stephen
Yep English, from the Germanic Angle.

We're all bloody German Stephen, even the f**king Queen.

And I and Mrs Zed crossed the imaginary line and invaded Wales about 8 years ago.
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@zedvictor4
And I and Mrs Zed crossed the imaginary line and invaded Wales about 8 years ago.

I mentioned Big Pit to you earlier, #19.   Have you visited it at all, Vic lad?  You should take the children down there and show them what white slavery was all about. 

It's always a pleasure.  Have a good day , Vic lad. 
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Stephen
Well.

My children are 34 and 36 years of age.

Not sure they would want to go sight seeing with Mum and Dad.

But you never know.

And yep...Class based exploitation was the norm, and is ongoing.

Always make it so, that people want what they can never quite afford.

Therefore in my opinion, one of the keys to contentment is to not want what is unaffordable.

Regards.
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@zedvictor4

We're all bloody German Stephen, even the f**king Queen.

I thought we all originated in Africa, if David Attenborough is to be taken seriously.

My children are 34 and 36 years of age.Not sure they would want to go sight seeing with Mum and Dad.

Maybe the grand children then, if you have any that is? I took all of my children and grandchildren to Big Pit.

Always make it so, that people want what they can never quite afford. Therefore in my opinion, one of the keys to contentment is to not want what is unaffordable.

We are on the same page there, Vic lad. My motto most of my life has been needs are a must and wants you can live without.  Although I do like to go for a pint twice a week.

Have nice day, Vic.

zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Stephen
Mines a nice chilled bottle of IPA.

Cheers.
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@zedvictor4
And you'd be welcome, Vic Lad
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@Greyparrot
Is anyone really surprised? 

Jussie Smollett released from jail as he appeals against his conviction for hoax attack.

Here in the UK appeals can also go against you. If you are found guilty or have an appeal hearing rejected ,you can get more on top of your original sentence. Does the same apply in the US, GP?

7 days later

Stephen
Stephen
-->
@zedvictor4
Remember I said this , Vic Lad?

And if this centuries old "one sided" argument of slavery is now  to be taught in our schools it should be taught with full honesty and from its roots that began in the Middle East where, to my own knowledge, Arab slave traders traded with blacks that rounded up other blacks from other black enemy tribes  to sell on to Arab slavers.
All my own opinion you understand, Vic lad.#19

Well it appears that it s not just my own opinion.

zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Stephen
Nice one Nigel.

Two "White" PC numpties.

And two realistic people of colour.

Hand picked, no doubt.

But for sure, slavery never was, and still isn't, anything new.

But if there is personal gain to be made, people are going to continue milking it for all it's worth.
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@zedvictor4
Love him or hate him, Vic lad. He says exactly what I said, that there should be balance if they are going  to insist on  teaching this " centuries old one sided argument of slavery "  to our school children.
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Stephen
The trouble is Stephen.

For those who wish to perpetuate this bit of recent history, the issue isn't really about slavery.

The issue is a black and white thing.....Commonly referred to as racism....And a two way transaction.

The inevitability of perceivable difference, that will never go away until we have achieved total homogenisation.

But try telling that to the Ruskies and the Chinese.
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@zedvictor4
The trouble is Stephen. For those who wish to perpetuate this bit of recent history, the issue isn't really about slavery.

But they are pushing and being allowed  to push the one sided nasty horrid white man narrative, aren't they, Vic?

The issue is a black and white thing.....Commonly referred to as racism....And a two way transaction.

Slavery was certainly  a"two way transaction",  and it is being taught to appear a one way transaction. And being taught to make it appear that it was/is whitey that was and still is the sole culprit in this disgusting practice that was abolished by whitey.  Arabs and Muslims still deal in the slave trade to this day; hardly gets a mention, if at all.

Still.
Fair is all I am asking for.

Have a good day Vic lad.  Pub day for me.

Discipulus_Didicit
Debates: 9
Discipulus_Didicit
-->
@Stephen
Seems utterly silly and pointless for you to be distracted by this kind of thing when you have things like nuclear war which you should be focusing on.