read this, then please tell me do you still believe that god exist ?

Author: Lunar108

Total: 97
Outplayz
Debates: 0
Outplayz
-->
@Castin
I mean, tragic... but also kind of hilarious? Maybe not the best example of the problem of suffering?
It doesn't disprove "god" in the many forms that word can manifest, but i'm happy you found it hilarious too. 
Tradesecret
Debates: 2
Tradesecret
-->
@Bones
You make it sound like I am operating on some obscure definition. The fact that you disagree with the statement that to create X in the image of Y requires X to bear some resemblance to Y is honestly quite astounding. The literal tautologically english definition of resemblance is to have similar qualities or appearance. The terms I am using are not controversial. 
You are.
Which word have I invented? Which one? I will repeat, the literal tautologically english definition of resemblance is to have similar qualities or appearance. You are arguing with the dictionary here. 
Your working definition for being made in the image of God is one which you have invented.  Do you understand the idioms used by the Jewish language? I am not arguing with the dictionary here. I am arguing with you.   You refuse to accept that the language written has local geographical and time specificities and are in fact trying to interpret it according to a measure delineated by yourself.  

Try and find some commentators who agree with you and then we can have a discussion. 
Again with your appeal to popularity. This is the attitude slave holders adopted. 
Sorry old chap. It is not an appeal to popularity. It is an appeal to authority.  It is not even me saying they are right and you are wrong. It is me saying to you - you ought to engage with the experts in the field rather than ignore them.  It is no different to relying on google to self-diagnose your medical problems.  If you think your views are valid - - have them peer reviewed.  See what others think - others who are experts.  Or not.  
When God does something great, it is always literal - when he does something evil, it is always a "lesson", a "proverb", an "interpretation". 
Stop talking nonsense.  I never take anything in the bible literally.  
If the bible is never literal, then is it fiction? 
The Bible has no literal genres.  Literalism is not a genre.
I did not say literalism was a genre - stop putting words in my mouth. 
No you asked: if the bible is never taken literal, then is it fiction?  I  say that is conflating genre with substance. You don't seem to understand the difference. To ask that question - reveals your ignorance of basic grammar and language.  Literal and fiction are not opposites. 

To be theological is merely to study the nature of God and religious belief - my engagement in this topic is in itself theological. I am using pure logic and reason to deconstruct the validity of the bible - something you have yet to refute. 
No it is not. You are merely supposing things. Speculation.
Again - label my arguments what you want - they are substantiated by logic whereby each premise follows the last trivially. 
A while ago, you stated you were interested in truth.  Now it seems you just want to go ahead and do things your own way. Fine that is your prerogative - yet it does not seem to be that you are so much interested in the truth as you are about pushing a particular view.  Your logic in this instance is at odds with the ordinary logic of understanding historical books and languages.  Hence, your logic while consistent with your understanding is inconsistent with the ordinary scientific methodology used by those who are the experts in this field.  Therefore I would suggest that your logic is flawed and out of touch with the science. 

Of course I am discrediting every theologian in the world, just as how Galileo disapproved of every "scientist" in his day. 
But the whole point is - you are not.  Everyone knew Galileo was a scientist. No one including yourself knows or accepts that you are a theologian. 
But in the day, some skeptic could have given Galileo a look of incredulity and stated "you are not a scientist, no one including yourself knows or accepts that you are a scientist"
And ....  You are not a theologian, are you?  You have not studied and found yourself approved in the sciences of theology or language or historical literature.   You sound quite proficient in many things - and your mind works logically in the areas that it understands.  This however does not mean that you can simply step into another sphere - using the same logic - to draw new and novel ideas.  Well I suppose you can - but it certainly won't get you far into the discussion. 

To understand the image of God - you need to commence with not just the literal meaning of a word, but with the phrase itself - and to see how it ordinarily is understood in the language it was being used.   Calling Jesus a shepherd and us sheep could literally be understood by a dictionary.  Yet the dictionary meaning without understanding the metaphor will take your logic - consistently into an understanding that is incorrect.  I am not a sheep. You are not a sheep. If the language is understood literally without the idiom, then where does your logic get you?  Not to the correct understanding. 

Bones
Debates: 30
Bones
You make it sound like I am operating on some obscure definition. The fact that you disagree with the statement that to create X in the image of Y requires X to bear some resemblance to Y is honestly quite astounding. The literal tautologically english definition of resemblance is to have similar qualities or appearance. The terms I am using are not controversial. 
You are.
Which word have I invented? Which one? I will repeat, the literal tautologically english definition of resemblance is to have similar qualities or appearance. You are arguing with the dictionary here. 
Your working definition for being made in the image of God is one which you have invented.  Do you understand the idioms used by the Jewish language? I am not arguing with the dictionary here. I am arguing with you.   You refuse to accept that the language written has local geographical and time specificities and are in fact trying to interpret it according to a measure delineated by yourself.  
Repeating yourself does not strengthen your argument. Like I stated, the words I am using are not controversial, the tautological definition of resemble is to "be similar". This is the definition of resemble. 

Try and find some commentators who agree with you and then we can have a discussion. 
Again with your appeal to popularity. This is the attitude slave holders adopted. 
Sorry old chap. It is not an appeal to popularity. It is an appeal to authority.  It is not even me saying they are right and you are wrong. It is me saying to you - you ought to engage with the experts in the field rather than ignore them. 
Imagine if we were to be debating and you attempted to dismiss an entire by saying "okay good point I don't have enough intellect to dismiss your argument but I will say, you haven't gone through the month long process of peer reviewing your paper". How do you think that will work? 

A while ago, you stated you were interested in truth.  Now it seems you just want to go ahead and do things your own way. 
I have already given you an argument if which is logic, valid and sound. I am interested in truth - you are interested in preserving the bible. 

But in the day, some skeptic could have given Galileo a look of incredulity and stated "you are not a scientist, no one including yourself knows or accepts that you are a scientist"
And ....  You are not a theologian, are you?  
I could be Joe Biden for all I care - my argument doesn't care about it's deliverer. 
Bones
Bones
-->
@Tradesecret
^^^
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@Tradesecret
@ Bones;  You have not studied and found yourself approved in the sciences of theology or language or historical literature. 

And we only have the unreliable word and your own poor memory in all things biblical that says that you yourself are approved, accredited and qualified, don't we, Reverend "Tradey" Tradesecret?

"I am a lawyer.  There you go
But in my role as a pastor - which I also do, I counsel in pastoral care.  And yes, I am qualified by certified colleges with proper accreditation.  I am also a chaplain to our Countries Defence forces, a position I could not have without proper qualifications". 

"I do  understand Orthodoxy. I studied and was tutored by academics, scholars, and priests and fathers from the Orthodox Church". 

Tutored by your ;

" Hebrew teacher" #45

Not to mention your extreme power of memory and your own dogged, thousands of hours reading and memorising the bible.

" I have been taught to memorise the bible from very young. I have read the bible numerous times. I try and read the OT once every year and the NT twice a year.  I know it reasonable well and can even read Hebrew and Greek".

And crow;

" I study the original languages, translate them to English",  #25

And while we are speaking languages and the translation of, tell me Reverend "Tradey" once you have translated these ancient scriptures into English do you rely your own English version of the bible?

You argue the meaning of the word - perfection - saying ;

"You would need to demonstrate that perfection is equivalent to without a flaw. #34" My view is that humans were created very good.   

As I have already explained to you, the word - perfect / perfection means "without flaw" in any dictionary that I know. But of course, we now know that you don't accept the universally accepted definition of  - perfect - but without any sound reason  you refuse to accept it and dismiss it (because it was written by humans, I suspect).

So lets try this;

KJV Bible Dictionary's version , which also happens to agree with the universally accepted version.

PER'FECTadjective [Latin perfectus, perficio, to complete; per and facio, to do or make through, to carry to the end.]
1. Finished; complete; consummate; not defective; having all that is requisite to its nature and kind; as a perfect statue; a perfect likeness; a perfect work; a perfect system.

So that then is  the KJV bible dictionary's definition.  Are you refusing this definition.
Tradesecret
Tradesecret
-->
@Bones
You are.
Repeating yourself does not strengthen your argument. Like I stated, the words I am using are not controversial, the tautological definition of resemble is to "be similar". This is the definition of resemble. 
I never said your words were controversial. I said that they were a wrong usage of language.  You want to use a literal word according to the dictionary. I said the phrase requires an idiomatic understanding.  Hence, your accusation of suggesting I am repeating myself is self-serving since you ignored my previous argument. 

Sorry old chap. It is not an appeal to popularity. It is an appeal to authority.  It is not even me saying they are right and you are wrong. It is me saying to you - you ought to engage with the experts in the field rather than ignore them. 
Imagine if we were to be debating and you attempted to dismiss an entire by saying "okay good point I don't have enough intellect to dismiss your argument but I will say, you haven't gone through the month long process of peer reviewing your paper". How do you think that will work? 
I'm not saying you have made a good point.  I am saying you have missed the point altogether. Your argument is not only weak it is irrelevant. But you don't have the capacity to even see this.  I say use peer reviews - because at least then you will see how much you have missed your point. 

A while ago, you stated you were interested in truth.  Now it seems you just want to go ahead and do things your own way. 
I have already given you an argument if which is logic, valid and sound. I am interested in truth - you are interested in preserving the bible. 
No, you have given only your own position based entirely upon flawed reasoning.  I admit I am biased with the bible - but having said that - preserving the bible - means implicitly preserving the integrity and TRUTH of the bible including its usage of idioms.  Why would I argue with that?  Your position is not sound. I have demonstrated that by drawing your attention to the distinction between literalism and metaphor and language idioms. You have refused to engage with the same. 

I could be Joe Biden for all I care - my argument doesn't care about it's deliverer. 
This is the point though.  You want to be able to interpret the bible in the way you want. You don't care about the original author's intentions. This is demonstratable proof - you are not interested in the truth. 

Tradesecret
Tradesecret
-->
@Stephen
@ Bones;  You have not studied and found yourself approved in the sciences of theology or language or historical literature. 

And we only have the unreliable word and your own poor memory in all things biblical that says that you yourself are approved, accredited and qualified, don't we, Reverend "Tradey" Tradesecret?
Seriously? 

"I am a lawyer.  There you go
But in my role as a pastor - which I also do, I counsel in pastoral care.  And yes, I am qualified by certified colleges with proper accreditation.  I am also a chaplain to our Countries Defence forces, a position I could not have without proper qualifications". 
I am a lawyer. I do pastoral care. I am a pastor of a church with over 300 people.  So what? 

"I do  understand Orthodoxy. I studied and was tutored by academics, scholars, and priests and fathers from the Orthodox Church". 
Tutored by your ;
and your stumbling block here is what?   That I have been taught????  

" Hebrew teacher" #45

Not to mention your extreme power of memory and your own dogged, thousands of hours reading and memorising the bible.
Again, this is an issue because ????? 

" I have been taught to memorise the bible from very young. I have read the bible numerous times. I try and read the OT once every year and the NT twice a year.  I know it reasonable well and can even read Hebrew and Greek".

And crow;
You do realize that despite you putting these into one post, that  these things I mentioned are over several years and quite diverse topics.  And never altogether in the same post.   But thanks for the commendation.  Perhaps one day I might pay you some kind of royalty. 

" I study the original languages, translate them to English",  #25

And while we are speaking languages and the translation of, tell me Reverend "Tradey" once you have translated these ancient scriptures into English do you rely your own English version of the bible?

You argue the meaning of the word - perfection - saying ;

Do you find it difficult to translate? I thought someone with your abilities would find this easy. 

"You would need to demonstrate that perfection is equivalent to without a flaw. #34" My view is that humans were created very good.   

As I have already explained to you, the word - perfect / perfection means "without flaw" in any dictionary that I know. But of course, we now know that you don't accept the universally accepted definition of  - perfect - but without any sound reason  you refuse to accept it and dismiss it (because it was written by humans, suspect).

So lets try this;

KJV Dictionary's version , which also happens to agree with the universally accepted version.
Why???????

PER'FECTadjective [Latin perfectus, perficio, to complete; per and facio, to do or make through, to carry to the end.]
1. Finished; complete; consummate; not defective; having all that is requisite to its nature and kind; as a perfect statue; a perfect likeness; a perfect work; a perfect system.

So that then  the KJV bible dictionary's definition.  Are you refusing this definition too? 
You are such a dill.  No wonder you never passed yr 12.  It is surprising you even understand how to log onto this site. 

Stephen
Stephen
But thanks for the commendation

You won't be getting any from me Reverend "Tradey" no matter how you want to define "Commendation" in any language.

As I have already explained to you, the word - perfect / perfection means "without flaw" in any dictionary that I know. But of course, we now know that you don't accept the universally accepted definition of  - perfect - but without any sound reason  you refuse to accept it and dismiss it (because it was written by humans, I suspect).

So lets try this;

KJV Dictionary's version , which also happens to agree with the universally accepted version.

So that then is  the KJV bible dictionary's definition.  Are you refusing this definition.
Why???????

Because you are arguing above the word - perfect . 

I asked you - could anyone of us be perfect? #24  I also asked you to define the word Perfect/ Perfection when the word is used in the bible.#42

You came back with this:

"we still need someone to define for us what perfection is". #26

I have given you the accepted definitions of the word - perfect  and I have also given you the KJV Bible dictionary' definition of the word perfect. 

THAT'S WHY!!!!

So do you accept the KJV's Bible dictionary's definition? Yes or no? 

Bones
Bones
-->
@Tradesecret
You are.
Repeating yourself does not strengthen your argument. Like I stated, the words I am using are not controversial, the tautological definition of resemble is to "be similar". This is the definition of resemble. 
I never said your words were controversial. I said that they were a wrong usage of language. 
Which word. 

You want to use a literal word according to the dictionary.
Ok, if you want to be smart, then tell me what your definition of "resemblance" is. 

I'm not saying you have made a good point.  I am saying you have missed the point altogether. Your argument is not only weak it is irrelevant.
Weak? Yet you cannot address a single premise. Do you want to debate? You won't go far, I promise. 

I say use peer reviews
I don't see you peer reviewing your claims. 

No, you have given only your own position based entirely upon flawed reasoning. 
I have given a position which is supported and articulated in a syllogistic formulation, where each premise trivally follows the last. 

I admit I am biased with the bible - but having said that - preserving the bible - means implicitly preserving the integrity and TRUTH of the bible including its usage of idioms. 
See? You start with a conclusion and work backwards - in the scientific method, you are supposed to conduct your experiments then make a conclusion. 

I have demonstrated that by drawing your attention to the distinction between literalism and metaphor and language idioms. 
I recall that you have once stated 

Genesis’ genre is not symbolic, even though it contains some symbolism. It is historical narrative, and this is clearly the intention of the author. 

I would think that something as major as the creation of human beings would count as a historical narrative? Or are you going to use the "but you are misinterpreting" card?

This is the point though.  You want to be able to interpret the bible in the way you want. You don't care about the original author's intentions.
The Gospels were written 50 years after Jesus' alleged death. This would be akin to writing a report on the JFK assassination without the use of security footage,  journalists, Walter Cronkite and with only a handful of witnesses, none of whom were actually documenting these events as they happened.  

People nowadays cannot even agree on the nature of 9/11, despite the security footage, instantaneous journalism, eye witnesses,  presidential testimony, the thousands of dead people and the fact that possibly the world's most capable secret agents were testifying that this event was not an inside job - and this was merely 20 years ago (without adding that the conspiracy took substantially less than 20 years to formulate). We cannot even agree on the nature of an event which occured 20 year ago, even with our level of technology. Do you think the peasants of the bible era could have done better? 

MarkWebberFan
MarkWebberFan
I oscillate between atheism and christianity a lot. I had the later half of 2021 believing in christianity while my earlier half of 2021 had atheism. Helps that i dont base my decisions around subscribing/following a religious or irreligious group. Better to form belief through ideas alone, i think theyre more consistent.
FLRW
FLRW
-->
@MarkWebberFan
Look into Gnosticism. Gnosticism is the belief that human beings contain a piece of God (the highest good or a divine spark) within themselves, which has fallen from the immaterial world into the bodies of humans. All physical matter is subject to decay, rotting, and death. Gnostics focused on eradication of ignorance.
Jesus is identified by some Gnostics as an embodiment of the supreme being who became incarnate to bring gnōsis to the earth.
Tradesecret
Tradesecret
-->
@Bones
I never said your words were controversial. I said that they were a wrong usage of language. 
Which word. 
Phras Bones, Phrase.  "Made in the image and likeness of God."  That is the idiom.  What is the Hebrew idiom.  Isolating a word misses the idiom. 

Ok, if you want to be smart, then tell me what your definition of "resemblance" is. 
It's not about resemblance.  It is a Jewish Idiom.  Figure that out first.  

I'm not saying you have made a good point.  I am saying you have missed the point altogether. Your argument is not only weak it is irrelevant.
Weak? Yet you cannot address a single premise. Do you want to debate? You won't go far, I promise. 
Debate about what?   You seem to be sadly lacking in understanding the meaning of different types of language.  The premise you want to go out on a limb against the rest of the world is on - an idiom.  You are correct - you would not go very far.  Y

I say use peer reviews
I don't need to. This is your bogey, not mine.  Having said that - all you need to do is find one credible academic that agrees with you. 

I admit I am biased with the bible - but having said that - preserving the bible - means implicitly preserving the integrity and TRUTH of the bible including its usage of idioms. 
See? You start with a conclusion and work backwards - in the scientific method, you are supposed to conduct your experiments then make a conclusion. 
Nonsense.     You obviously have no idea how the scientific methodology works within the field of language and semantics.  

I have demonstrated that by drawing your attention to the distinction between literalism and metaphor and language idioms. 
I recall that you have once stated 

Genesis’ genre is not symbolic, even though it contains some symbolism. It is historical narrative, and this is clearly the intention of the author. 

I would think that something as major as the creation of human beings would count as a historical narrative? Or are you going to use the "but you are misinterpreting" card?
Do you even know what historical narrative is?  By the structure of your argument - you don't see to.   Genesis is historical narrative. That includes poetry and symbolism.  Do you know what an idiom is? Or a metaphor? Such things are also literal.  Did you know that?  God owns the cattle on a 1000 hills.  What does that mean to you?  It could mean God only owns cattle on 1000 hills.   But is that the intent of the author or is he saying something more profound?   Could we go and find the bill of sale for each cattle?  Where would we look?  How would we know which are God's and which are not?  Is the author telling us that God's wealth is limited? Or is he saying that God only owns cows - and not sheep or birds.  Is the author telling us that God believes in private property? 

Or is there an idiom attached to this verse?  Are there any clues in the text? Or in the phrase?   We could take it literally - but what does that tell us about God? We could take it allegorically? What does that tell us about God? Or is the verse actually talking about the cattle? Or perhaps it is actually talking about the hills? Of course it might also be talking about ownership.  Are the individual words more important than the phrase? Or is the phrase more important than the individual words?  

This is the point though.  You want to be able to interpret the bible in the way you want. You don't care about the original author's intentions.
The Gospels were written 50 years after Jesus' alleged death. This would be akin to writing a report on the JFK assassination without the use of security footage,  journalists, Walter Cronkite and with only a handful of witnesses, none of whom were actually documenting these events as they happened.  
Actually there is good evidence to suggest every book in the NT was written prior to AD 70.   Many were written much earlier than that.  The point is most were written by people with eye witness testimony. People who were actually with Jesus and saw the events.    Mark is basically a cooperation between both himself and Peter.   Matthew was one of the disciples.   Luke travelled with Paul-  but as a doctor was quite elegant in his notetaking.  the gospel of John was traditionally written by the apostle John or perhaps Lazarus.  Both were living with Jesus for a significant period of time.   Historians are in consensus that there is more documentary evidence for the NT and its accuracy than there is for almost any other ancient document.  A greater quantity of such documents and earlier or closer documents to Jesus' time.  Moreso than for other historical figures who no one would even dare to suggest were not true or whatever.  

People nowadays cannot even agree on the nature of 9/11, despite the security footage, instantaneous journalism, eye witnesses,  presidential testimony, the thousands of dead people and the fact that possibly the world's most capable secret agents were testifying that this event was not an inside job - and this was merely 20 years ago (without adding that the conspiracy took substantially less than 20 years to formulate). We cannot even agree on the nature of an event which occured 20 year ago, even with our level of technology. Do you think the peasants of the bible era could have done better? 

So what?  I happen to have a certain trust in the way our historians document and understand things. I am not post modern in my thinking. I am not subjective or fluid.  I think the scientific method and the historical understanding and basis of these documents is pretty solid.  People of course cannot prove anything happened 5 minutes ago. People will believe what they want to believe - when it suits them. 

I am not asking you to throw away your idea. I am merely asking you to find some corroboration for your position and also to take a look at what the known idioms are for this particular phrase.  
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@Tradesecret
"Made in the image and likeness of God."  That is the idiom.  What is the Hebrew idiom.  
Explain the Idiom in the bold underlined above.

Actually there is good evidence to suggest every book in the NT was written prior to AD 70.

And you are going to show us this "good evidence", are you?

The point is most were written by people with eye witness testimony.

Well Paul, the self confessed liar  that some believe to be the founder of Christianity wasn't an eyewitness to the life and times of Christ, was he?

Mark is basically a cooperation between both himself and Peter. 

Would this be Simon Peter the fisherman one of the Christ's close disciples? 

Luke travelled with Paul-  but as a doctor was quite elegant in his notetaking.

So Luke not being a disciple took dictation from Paul the self confessed liar that  had never met the Christ . And can you or anyone confirm  that it was  Luke that  actually accompanied Paul at any time, anywhere?

And let me tell you, of the 661 verses in Marks' Gospel, of those Matthew's Gospel uses about 600 and Luke’s Gospel uses about 300. There are also about 200 verses which are very similar in Matthew and Luke, but which are not in Mark. Biblical scholars argue for these verses; Matthew and Luke must have used another written source, which is usually referred to as "Q". The existence of Q is also in dispute, however, almost all agree that Matthew and Luke knew of, and used, Mark.

the gospel of John was traditionally written by the apostle John or perhaps Lazarus.

So you don't know.

Historians are in consensus that there is more documentary evidence for the NT and its accuracy than there is for almost any other ancient document. 

Do you mean docu- MENTED?

Which historians? What "more documentary" evidence"?

I happen to have a certain trust in the way our historians document and understand things.

Who do you mean when you say " our historians"?

I think the scientific method and the historical understanding and basis of these documents is pretty solid.

Does that include the Gnostic Gospels? The Gospel of Mary Magdalene? The Gospel of Thomas who was a disciple of Jesus ( that some believe to be  Jesus' twin) yet his gospel was rejected?  And the Gospel of Judas, to name just a few? And all rejected as heresy.

People of course cannot prove anything happened 5 minutes ago.

That seems to go against every single thing that you have said on this thread.

People will believe what they want to believe - when it suits them.

And you'd would know all about that.

I am merely asking you to find some corroboration for your position
Such as?  It is astounding that you  say -  "I don't need to" #72-  when asked yourself to corroborate anything that you say or claim!? 

As I have already explained to you, the word - perfect / perfection means "without flaw" in any dictionary that I know. But of course, we now know that you don't accept the universally accepted definition of  - perfect - but without any sound reason  you refuse to accept it and dismiss it (because it was written by humans, suspect).

So lets try this;

Why???????

I asked you - could anyone of us be perfect? #24  I also asked you to define the word Perfect/ Perfection when the word is used in the bible.#42

You came back with this:

I have given you the accepted definitions of the word - perfect  and I have also given you the KJV Bible dictionary' definition of the word perfect. 

THAT'S WHY!!!!

Bones
Bones
-->
@Tradesecret
Which word. 
Phras Bones, Phrase.  "Made in the image and likeness of God."  That is the idiom.  What is the Hebrew idiom.  Isolating a word misses the idiom. 
I don't think you know what an idiom is. Idioms such as "once in a blue-moon" still bear a resemblance to the words in the phrase - that is, a blue-moon is rare. What you are attempting to assert is that the phrase "man (X) was made in the image of God (Y)" has no bearing, I repeat, no bearing to X and Y having similarities. Utter ignorance. 

It's not about resemblance.  It is a Jewish Idiom.  Figure that out first.  
So man has no resemblance to God?

Debate about what?   You seem to be sadly lacking in understanding the meaning of different types of language.  The premise you want to go out on a limb against the rest of the world is on - an idiom.  You are correct - you would not go very far.  
Coming from the person who does not understand that the term "you" is understood from the perspective of the narrator, I don't think it'll go down well for you. Also, stop hiding behind "idiom", change the m for a t and you'll see my perspective on you. 

I say use peer reviews
I don't need to.
See? You start with a conclusion and work backwards - in the scientific method, you are supposed to conduct your experiments then make a conclusion. 
Nonsense.    You obviously have no idea how the scientific methodology works within the field of language and semantics.  
Big words don't prove a point. 

Do you even know what historical narrative is?  By the structure of your argument - you don't see to. 
Still yet to see you address that one. 

Genesis is historical narrative. That includes poetry and symbolism. 
Find me a historical paper which delivers its thesis in idioms and riddles. 

God owns the cattle on a 1000 hills.  What does that mean to you?  It could mean God only owns cattle on 1000 hills.   But is that the intent of the author or is he saying something more profound?   Could we go and find the bill of sale for each cattle?  Where would we look?  How would we know which are God's and which are not?  Is the author telling us that God's wealth is limited? Or is he saying that God only owns cows - and not sheep or birds.  Is the author telling us that God believes in private property? 
Dunno it's up for interpretation, which makes it an absolutely source.  

Actually there is good evidence to suggest every book in the NT was written prior to AD 70. 
Source. 

This back and forth is clearly getting us no where. Let's debate. I propose: The God of the Christian bible likely does not exist. I doubt you'll accept - I know you only operate within the safety of the forums, but you seem convicted of your belief. 

Polytheist-Witch
Debates: 1
Polytheist-Witch
Does this prove God exists: is the guy atheist, then yes.

Does this prove God exists: is the guy Christian, then yes.
Tradesecret
Tradesecret
-->
@Bones
I don't think you know what an idiom is. Idioms such as "once in a blue-moon" still bear a resemblance to the words in the phrase - that is, a blue-moon is rare. What you are attempting to assert is that the phrase "man (X) was made in the image of God (Y)" has no bearing, I repeat, no bearing to X and Y having similarities. Utter ignorance. 
Idioms may or may not relate to the words within their phrases.  In Australia if we say - "it's your wally grout", what does that mean? Wally Grout was an Australian Cricketer. Yet if we heard those words in the local Australian pub - everyone knows its meaning - your turn to buy the round of beers.  Idioms do not have to relate directly to the words contained in the phrase. Of course - like your blue moon illustration - they might.  In the phrase being made in the image of God - might mean a zillion different things.  Yet God is invisible - so how does image relate.  You suggest without any particular reason it must refer to his resemblance - and since you accept he also is invisible- you then suggested it must be his omnis.  Yet, no scholar, Jewish or Christian has ever suggested this point.  For me - those are divine attributes - not human ones. Being made in the image of God would not in my view lead me to conclude we must have of these attributes. 

As I suggested - in line with what it generally accepted it has to do with his ruling aspect - or his authority.    In the context God made everything - and then last of all he made humanity - male and female.  Everything else had a role and place in the creation - whether it be a mountain or a river or a bird or an animal or a tree.  humanity had a different place and a different role. The world could theoretically live without humanity - it was different. 

To be made in his image is - therefore - to be made in his likeness as God to this world - as a delegated authority. To have dominion. Again these are all things contained within the text itself.  There is not even a need to go outside of the text to try and understand it.  Man is to act as God's priest to the creation and as as creation's representative to God.  

My intention was to ask - how is resemblance to be understood?  Obviously not literally. For God has no visible face. Yet, if then not about his physical attributes - this would also exclude his omni's as well.  Surely you would accept that all of his omnis are physical attributes?  If no literal image then no physical attributes come into play.  It must refer to something else-  I suggest as above it is a covenantal thing.  Or to use modern language - representation.  Humanity was made to represent God - like a politician is elected to represent me - and as such is made in my image.   

Coming from the person who does not understand that the term "you" is understood from the perspective of the narrator, I don't think it'll go down well for you. Also, stop hiding behind "idiom", change the m for a t and you'll see my perspective on you. 
Not sure I understand your logic here. 

I say use peer reviews
I don't need to.
Whatever.  You want to make your own rules and be your own authority.  I say listen to the experts - you call that special pleading. I assume from that - you reject all scientific knowledge in the world.  And all expert opinion in the world. You alone are an expert. Is that what you are saying? 

Nonsense.    You obviously have no idea how the scientific methodology works within the field of language and semantics.  
They do - if you don't understand them. 

Do you even know what historical narrative is?  By the structure of your argument - you don't see to. 
Still yet to see you address that one. 
I have explained historical narrative on numerous occasions.  Go and look at some of the discussions between Stephen and me. 

Genesis is historical narrative. That includes poetry and symbolism. 
LOL! this is your baby. I am not going to do your homework for you. 

God owns the cattle on a 1000 hills.  What does that mean to you?  It could mean God only owns cattle on 1000 hills.   But is that the intent of the author or is he saying something more profound?   Could we go and find the bill of sale for each cattle?  Where would we look?  How would we know which are God's and which are not?  Is the author telling us that God's wealth is limited? Or is he saying that God only owns cows - and not sheep or birds.  Is the author telling us that God believes in private property? 
Dunno it's up for interpretation, which makes it an absolutely source.  
The interpretation is not difficult. It basically means - that God owns all of the cattle on all of the hills.  It has nothing to do with private property. It has nothing to do with limiting God's wealth. God is the creator of life - that is the point.  The usage of the word 1000 - is a Hebrew idiom for totality. the 1000 is not actually related to the topic - save and except it means 10 x 10 x 10.  This is the same meaning of the word - Millenium in Revelation. God's people rule for a thousand years - or is it talking about totality?  It is really not to difficulty, once you understand the Hebrew idiom being used. 

Source. 
There are lots of sources - I say go and read Dr Kenneth Gentry - - he has some really good positions on this.  

This back and forth is clearly getting us no where. Let's debate. I propose: The God of the Christian bible likely does not exist. I doubt you'll accept - I know you only operate within the safety of the forums, but you seem convicted of your belief. 
Would you take the assertive position - or the defensive one?  In other words, would you attempt to put the burden of proof on me or would you concede that the burden ought to be shared?   

Bones
Bones
-->
@Tradesecret

I don't think you know what an idiom is. Idioms such as "once in a blue-moon" still bear a resemblance to the words in the phrase - that is, a blue-moon is rare. What you are attempting to assert is that the phrase "man (X) was made in the image of God (Y)" has no bearing, I repeat, no bearing to X and Y having similarities. Utter ignorance. 
Idioms may or may not relate to the words within their phrases.  In Australia if we say - "it's your wally grout", what does that mean? Wally Grout was an Australian Cricketer. Yet if we heard those words in the local Australian pub - everyone knows its meaning - your turn to buy the round of beers. 
Do you even understand how the Wally grout saying arose? In sports, prominent athletes often receive nicknames that  become widely used once they meet with popular approval.Wally's personality added his last name as a rhyming slang for a "Shout", thereby allowing this poetic colloquialism arises in the context of drinking in a drinking establishments such as a pub. 

There is a causal link between Wally Grout and "shouting" at the pug - that is:
  1. It is reflective of Wally's personality. 
  2. Grout rhymes with shout. 
What you are asserting is that when speaking on the term "resemble", that there is no causal relation between the two entities which are supposed to resemble each other. This is completely nonsensical. 

My intention was to ask - how is resemblance to be understood?  
To have a similar appearance to or qualities in common with (someone or something); look or seem like.

They do
Aight. 

So you're telling me that you get to make claims and I have to fact check for you? Come on now. 

Would you take the assertive position - or the defensive one?  In other words, would you attempt to put the burden of proof on me or would you concede that the burden ought to be shared
If I were to be technical, the burden regarding the topic of God lies solely on that who asserts there is a supernatural being. But as I am nice and I am not technical, I am willing to share the burden - I will argue that atheism is more likely whilst you will argue that theism is more likely. How does this sound?
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@Tradesecret
 In Australia if we say - "it's your wally grout", what does that mean? Wally Grout was an Australian Cricketer. Yet if we heard those words in the local Australian pub - everyone knows its meaning - your turn to buy the round of beers.
😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣

That is not an idiom.

"Wally Grout" = Shout.

That is rhyming Slang for -  "its your shout (round)"  rhyming with - Grout.  As is  Tom - foolery  rhyming with - Jewellery. Frog `n` toad rhyming with - Road.  Skin and blister rhyming with - Sister.  There is no rhyming slang in the scriptures I can assure you of that! Stop taking everyone for the dunce that you yourself are.

Idioms do not have to relate directly to the words contained in the phrase.

But they do , its just that you do not understand what an idiom is. I have myself have pointed out AND explained some the idioms in the New Testament  many times since the day I joined here.

Yet God is invisible[ ..........................]  For God has no visible face.

Jacob said; please tell me your name. But he replied, why do you ask my name?  Then he blessed him there. So Jacob called the place Peniel, saying, it is because
I saw God face to face, and yet my life was spared.”Genesis 32:24-30.. 

The Lord appeared to Abraham near the great trees of Mamre while he was sitting at the entrance to his tent in the heat of the day.  (Genesis 18:1). And they went on to eat and drink. With no visible mouth , I take it!

The Lord would speak to Moses face to face, as one speaks to a friend (Exodus 33:11).

What about The Adam and Eve? And what about the 1 Chronicles 16:11, does it not tell them to "seek his face"? OR Ezekiel 39:29 "I will not hide My face from them any longer"? 

Why does this verse always  leapt to my mind when YOU - of all people -  make theses silly claims;

“You are mistaken, not knowing the Scriptures". Matthew 22:29

Could it be that "god" was  just a highly intelligent  man at the end of the day? And we in his likeness and image? 

Source. 
There are lots of sources -

It is generally accepted by secular scholars that the dating of the gospels were written at least 35/50 – 100 years after the crucifixion. 

go and read Dr Kenneth Gentry

Have you?

You see for the best part of his work Gentry mainly focusses on the NT Revelation End Times i.e. John's "visions", dreams and nightmares.  He doesn't even date the NT to the time that the Christ was alive (unless as I  believe, that Jesus actually did survive the cross). And I could be wrong here but  isn't he the same person in agreement with those that have in the past called for the imposition of Old Testament laws upon modern society!? And you have the nerve to call me a "dill".

"Made in the image and likeness of God."  That is the idiom.  What is the Hebrew idiom.  

Well Paul, the self confessed liar  that some believe to be the founder of Christianity wasn't an eyewitness to the life and times of Christ, was he?

Luke travelled with Paul-  but as a doctor was quite elegant in his notetaking.

So Luke not being a disciple took dictation from Paul the self confessed liar that  had never met the Christ . And can you or anyone confirm  that it was  Luke that  actually accompanied Paul at any time, anywhere?

And let me tell you, of the 661 verses in Marks' Gospel, of those Matthew's Gospel uses about 600 and Luke’s Gospel uses about 300. There are also about 200 verses which are very similar in Matthew and Luke, but which are not in Mark. Biblical scholars argue for these verses; Matthew and Luke must have used another written source, which is usually referred to as "Q". The existence of Q is also in dispute, however, almost all agree that Matthew and Luke knew of, and used, Mark.

Historians are in consensus that there is more documentary evidence for the NT and its accuracy than there is for almost any other ancient document. 

I happen to have a certain trust in the way our historians document and understand things.

Who do you mean when you say " our historians"?

Such as?  It is astounding that you  say -  "I don't need to" #72-  when asked yourself to corroborate anything that you say or claim!? 

Why???????

You came back with this:

THAT'S WHY!!!!

Tradesecret
Tradesecret
-->
@Stephen
 In Australia if we say - "it's your wally grout", what does that mean? Wally Grout was an Australian Cricketer. Yet if we heard those words in the local Australian pub - everyone knows its meaning - your turn to buy the round of beers.
That is not an idiom.

"Wally Grout" = Shout.

Yes it is an idiom.  Yes it is rhyming slang.  But shout is not taken literally.  Shout itself is an idiom.  

That is rhyming Slang  for -  "its your shout (round)"  rhyming with - Grout.  As is  Tom - foolery  rhyming with - Jewellery. Frog `n` toad rhyming with - Road.  Skin and blister rhyming with - Sister.  There is no rhyming slang in the scriptures I can assure you of that! Stop taking everyone for the dunce that you yourself are.
It is an Aussie Idiom.  Just like Hebrew has its own idioms.  Actually by making you point - you demonstrate your duncehood. 

Idioms do not have to relate directly to the words contained in the phrase.

But they do , its just that you do not understand what an idiom is. I have myself have pointed out AND explained some the idioms in the New Testament  many times since the day I joined here.
Read my words again.  Idioms do not have to relate directly to the words contained in the phrase.   They can - but they do not have too. 

Jacob said; please tell me your name. But he replied, why do you ask my name?  Then he blessed him there. So Jacob called the place Peniel, saying, it is because

The Lord appeared to Abraham near the great trees of Mamre while he was sitting at the entrance to his tent in the heat of the day.  (Genesis 18:1). And they went on to eat and drink. With no visible mouth , I take it!

The Lord would speak to Moses face to face, as one speaks to a friend (Exodus 33:11).

What about The Adam and Eve? And what about the 1 Chronicles 16:11, does it not tell them to "seek his face"? OR Ezekiel 39:29 "I will not hide My face from them any longer"? 

Why does this verse always  leapt to my mind when YOU - of all people -  make theses silly claims;
Seeing God face to face - was an idiom.  God is invisible.  No one can see God at any time - lest they die.   One is a physical thing and one is an idiom. 

Could it be that "god" was  just a highly intelligent  man at the end of the day? And we in his likeness and image? 
LOL @ you.   God is not a man.   

Source. 

It is generally accepted by secular scholars that the dating of the gospels were written at least 35/50 – 100 years after the crucifixion. 
Yes.  35 years after the resurrection - was AD 70. 

Have you?

You see for the best part of his work Gentry mainly focusses on the NT Revelation End Times i.e. John's "visions", dreams and nightmares.  He doesn't even date the NT to the time that the Christ was alive (unless as I  believe, that Jesus actually did survive the cross). And I could be wrong here but  isn't he the same person in agreement with those that have in the past called for the imposition of Old Testament laws upon modern society!? And you have the nerve to call me a "dill".

Two points. Gentry dates Revelation to prior to the Fall of Jerusalem in AD 70.    Yes, I have read his books.  And yes Gentry was part of a movement for a while known as reconstructionist. I am not sure whether he is still given it has fallen by the wayside.  Yet, reconstructionists NEVER called for the imposition of OT laws on modern society.  That was a misrepresentation of their position.   You are a dill. 

Why? You are not my keeper. 

I was specifically talking about the Gospels - not the NT as a whole.  The gospels were written by Matthew - a disciple. Mark - in conjunction with Peter.  Luke - a doctor and John a disciple. Three out of the 4 gospels were written by eye witness accounts.  Luke was a scholar who pulled much information from eyewitness accounts.  Paul was not the founder of Christianity - Christ was.  I never said he wrote the gospels. 

Yes. 

Luke did not dictate from Paul.  Paul did meet Christ - on the road to Damascus.  IT is what changed his life. The book of Acts confirms it. 

So what?  Matthew and Luke used Mark as a source.  I totally agree with that position.  They were never in competition with each other. Why wouldn't they use the same sources?  

Historians are in consensus that there is more documentary evidence for the NT and its accuracy than there is for almost any other ancient document. 

Do your own homework.  I have also shown this prior to now. 

Our historians - being the wide ranging historian of all ilks - whether christian, or not. 

LOL @ you. I was merely responding to the point that proving any history ABSOLUTELY is impossible. 

Such as?  It is astounding that you  say -  "I don't need to" #72-  when asked yourself to corroborate anything that you say or claim!? 
I am not addressing you. 

Tradesecret
Tradesecret
-->
@Bones
Idioms may or may not relate to the words within their phrases.  In Australia if we say - "it's your wally grout", what does that mean? Wally Grout was an Australian Cricketer. Yet if we heard those words in the local Australian pub - everyone knows its meaning - your turn to buy the round of beers. 
Do you even understand how the Wally grout saying arose? In sports, prominent athletes often receive nicknames that  become widely used once they meet with popular approval.Wally's personality added his last name as a rhyming slang for a "Shout", thereby allowing this poetic colloquialism arises in the context of drinking in a drinking establishments such as a pub. 
Yes, I know where this idiom arose.  I understand rhyming slang. Shout is still an idiom.  I figured that in America you would still find "shout" inexplicable so I put into language you could understand.   

There is a causal link between Wally Grout and "shouting" at the pug - that is:
  1. It is reflective of Wally's personality. 
  2. Grout rhymes with shout. 
Yes, there is causal link - between Wally Grout and shout. But the term "shout" is an idiom for your turn to pay for drinks.  Shout is an idiom per se. 

VERB
  1. (of a person) utter a loud cry, typically as an expression of a strong emotion.
    "she shouted for joy"
    synonyms:
    yell · cry · cry out · call · call out · roar · howl · bellow · bawl · 
It has a secondary informal meaning - of treat someone to a drink.  

But "shout" is English idiom - a meaning which does not relate to the meaning.  Again - I never said that idiom does not relate to the words - just that it does not have to relate specifically to the words. 

What you are asserting is that when speaking on the term "resemble", that there is no causal relation between the two entities which are supposed to resemble each other. This is completely nonsensical. 
No what I am asserting is that "being made in the image of God" is an idiom - a Hebrew idiom.  Do you deny this? 

My intention was to ask - how is resemblance to be understood?  
To have a similar appearance to or qualities in common with (someone or something); look or seem like.
The idiom may well relate to resemblance.  I am questioning what specifically about God is being resembled.  Your logic went down a strawman line because no one who understands "made in the image of God" understands it to refer to the omnis.  For you - you think you can disprove God - yet - you have not even understood the concept - just continue to make balls of it. 

So you're telling me that you get to make claims and I have to fact check for you? Come on now. 

Ok. You made an assertion. I asked you to check out whether it was a novel idea or not. you said "i dont' care."  I said whatever - I don't care either coz you are straw manning and you don't even know it. Here is an article. Man: God’s Visible Replica and Vice-Regent -- By: Robert Letham Reformed Baptist Theological Review Volume: RBTR 05:2 (Jul 2008).   At least read it before you throw it away.  

Would you take the assertive position - or the defensive one?  In other words, would you attempt to put the burden of proof on me or would you concede that the burden ought to be shared
If I were to be technical, the burden regarding the topic of God lies solely on that who asserts there is a supernatural being. But as I am nice and I am not technical, I am willing to share the burden - I will argue that atheism is more likely whilst you will argue that theism is more likely. How does this sound?

I don't think God is a supernatural being.  I think God is God. I think humanity is humanity. I think birds are birds and animals are animals.  
Be technical. This is your baby - not mine.  

Stephen
Stephen
-->
@Tradesecret
 In Australia if we say - "it's your wally grout", what does that mean? Wally Grout was an Australian Cricketer. Yet if we heard those words in the local Australian pub - everyone knows its meaning - your turn to buy the round of beers.
That is not an idiom.

"Wally Grout" = Shout.

Yes it is an idiom.  Yes it is rhyming slang.  But shout is not taken literally.  Shout itself is an idiom.  

Nope. That smacks of utter desperation. Stop being silly. 

That is rhyming Slang  for -  "its your shout (round)"  rhyming with - Grout.  As is  Tom - foolery  rhyming with - Jewellery. Frog `n` toad rhyming with - Road.  Skin and blister rhyming with - Sister.  There is no rhyming slang in the scriptures I can assure you of that! Stop taking everyone for the dunce that you yourself are.
It is an Aussie Idiom.  Just like Hebrew has its own idioms. 

Nope. You have clearly demonstrated rhyming slang. Which can no way be compared to ancient BIBLICAL idioms. You really are desperate aren't you. I just searched this for the hell of it. You'll love it.

NOUN
informal Australian
  • A person's turn to buy a round of drinks.
    More example sentences
Origin
1980s rhyming slang for ‘shout’, from Wally Grout (1927–68), an Australian wicketkeeper.

WALLY GROUT | Meaning & Definition for UK English | Lexico.com    Nothing there showing any relation whatsoever to it being an idiom  For all of your alleged education, you simply do not understand what an idiom is, BIBLICAL or otherwise. 

I have a feeling that this has become your new apologetic -get out - once you have painted yourself tightly into a theological corner. 

The Lord appeared to Abraham near the great trees of Mamre while he was sitting at the entrance to his tent in the heat of the day.  (Genesis 18:1). And they went on to eat and drink. With no visible mouth , I take it!

The Lord would speak to Moses face to face, as one speaks to a friend (Exodus 33:11).

Seeing God face to face - was an idiom.  God is invisible.  No one can see God at any time - lest they die.   One is a physical thing and one is an idiom. 

Complete denial after being caught out with the words of scripture AGAIN. And to be expected from anyone that has been shown his own bible ignorance. 

LOL @ you.   God is not a man.   

I was hoping you would say that. Its a shame that you didn't actually read those BIBLICAL verses above that contradict you .

Keep in mind the argument here "in his image and in his likeness"   Here is just one example of many where god is described as a man.

"So Jacob was left alone, and a man wrestled with him till daybreak. When the man saw that he could not overpower him, he touched the socket of Jacob’s hip so that his hip was wrenched as he wrestled with the man. Then the man said, “Let me go, for it is daybreak. But Jacob replied, I will not let you go unless you bless me.
The man asked him, what is your name? Jacob, he answered. Then the man said, your name will no longer be Jacob, but Israel, because you have struggled with God and with humans and have overcome.
Jacob said; please tell me your name. But he replied, why do you ask my name?  Then he blessed him there. So Jacob called the place Peniel, saying, it is because I saw God face to face, and yet my life was spared.” Genesis 32:24-30. NIV.

You see, Jacob here is telling us that he seen a man and wrestled with a man. 6 times!!! Jacob called this being a man. So unless we are going to contradict Jacob, call him a liar, say he was delusional, or accuse him of dreaming or simply making a false claim  or not understanding what he had been wrestling with, then we have to take his word that he wrestled with a human that he simply called a "god".

Source. 

It is generally accepted by secular scholars that the dating of the gospels were written at least 35/50 – 100 years after the crucifixion. 
Yes.  35 years after the resurrection - was AD 70. 
But then   other scholarly consensus' is that they are the work of unknown Christians and were composed c. 68-110 AD.  So no one knows for sure. The only thing they appear to agree on is that none of the alleged "authors" had met the Christ himself and all were composed AFTER the Crucifixion and the ascension.

Have you?

Gentry dates Revelation to prior to the Fall of Jerusalem in AD 70.   

So. Some have dated it to almost 100 years after the fall of Jerusalem. It means nothing.

Why? You are not my keeper. 

So that's another piece of BS from you. 

Yes. 
But didn't you once agree with historians scholars (that you "have a certain amount of trust in") that these disciples were illiterate? 

Luke did not dictate from Paul.  Paul did meet Christ - on the road to Damascus. 
Nope. Paul is said to have had a "vision"...what else? And only years after Jesus was said to have ascended  He never met the Christ in his life time. And this particular "vision" episode is contradicted by the gospels themselves too.  How many versions of this story  are there, 3-4? Paul was an Hellenised Jew. And only ever spoke of the "mysteries". All very pagan and all very gnostic in my eyes and the eyes of  many scholars.

Paul was not the founder of Christianity - Christ was. 

Nope. Christ never once mentions the word Christian or Christian's in any of the 4 gospels. You see, Jesus was a Jew. Believed to be King of the Jews, not Christians.

So what? 
They are not eyewitness accounts. That is what. 

Do your own homework.  I have also shown this prior to now. 

Nope you have put one single name forward without a single comment from said name.. And from wiki by the looks of it. The same Wiki that you refuse to accept and debunk when anyone else posts anything from that site;  hypocrite.

Our historians - being the wide ranging historian of all ilks - whether christian, or not. 

So this would include a Christian  historian such as Clement Bishop of Alexandria?

I was merely responding to the point that proving any history ABSOLUTELY is impossible. 

You said it. Which, with that one single comment underlined above you have rendered all the gospels unreliable, including the dating of. Hence your belief in the scriptures are purely faith based. 

I am not addressing you. 

That's neither here nor there, Reverend "Tradey". I am addressing your own comments and double standards..not to mention your own utter bible ignorance....AGAIN.

Why???????

You came back with this:

THAT'S WHY!!!!

Bones
Bones
-->
@Tradesecret
Do you even understand how the Wally grout saying arose? In sports, prominent athletes often receive nicknames that  become widely used once they meet with popular approval.Wally's personality added his last name as a rhyming slang for a "Shout", thereby allowing this poetic colloquialism arises in the context of drinking in a drinking establishments such as a pub. 
Yes, I know where this idiom arose.  I understand rhyming slang. Shout is still an idiom.  I figured that in America you would still find "shout" inexplicable so I put into language you could understand.
I'm Australian and very likely a third of your than you - I understand slang. 

Yes, there is causal link - between Wally Grout and shout.
Exactly so your point is null and void. If you concede the same thing between man and God, then your point fails. 

Ok. You made an assertion. 
Wrong, as usual. You made an assertion, I asked for evidence, you said find it yourself. 

I don't think God is a supernatural being. 
Use a descriptive word to describe God. 

I think birds are birds and animals are animals.  
Yes birds can be birds, but there are other ways to refer to them - they are natural, they are mortal, they aren't omnipotent etc. Try and expand your vocab. 

So no to the debating? Thought so. I did share the burden just to make it easy on you. 

Tradesecret
Tradesecret
-->
@Bones
I'm Australian and very likely a third of your than you - I understand slang. 
Very good. My mistake. I was only trying to assist you. 

Exactly so your point is null and void. If you concede the same thing between man and God, then your point fails. 
The link between Grout and Shout is rhyming slang.  Yet not between "you pay for the next beer" and "shout". It is idiom - not related by the word itself. My point in relation to man and God has not failed.  I maintain made in the image of God is a Hebrew Idiom.  It may or may not directly be related to the specific words.  I have not seen anyone suggest it has - save and except in relation to the scope by which man rules as a priest and a vice regent over the earth. 

Wrong, as usual. You made an assertion, I asked for evidence, you said find it yourself. 
Hold on Bones, I am not making an assertion here - well except to say it is a Hebrew Idiom - and that was because you are making an assertion that your understanding is the correct one - despite no corroboration from anyone else.   I provided the name of a study which agrees with me that it is a Hebrew Idiom.  

God is God.  He is Divine. He is immortal.   He is the creator of everything.  He is not supernatural.  He is entirely natural so far as divine beings go. 

Yes birds can be birds, but there are other ways to refer to them - they are natural, they are mortal, they aren't omnipotent etc. Try and expand your vocab. 
Birds can fly. This is natural.  If a human flies - it is considered supernatural.  Flying itself is not supernatural except as it is applied to beings who do not naturally fly.  If God flies - it is not supernatural.  If God does divine things it is not supernatural.  It is divine - it is Godlike.  

Humans do human things. God does God like things.  Animals and birds and insects do animal and bird and insect type things.  If a dog started talking English, it might be considered supernatural, possibly just unusual. Yet this does not imply it is a god. If a cockatoo talks english - it is unusual - not supernatural.  

I think it is you who needs to try and grasp the language you think you have before trying to expand it further. 

So no to the debating? Thought so. I did share the burden just to make it easy on you. 
I was pleased you did that.  I don't want to debate though. I was tempted.  

Stephen
Stephen
-->
@Tradesecret
  I provided the name of a study which agrees with me that it is a Hebrew Idiom. 

No you haven't. Stop telling lies. 

I clearly have shown you that what you have called an "idiom" is nothing more than rhyming slang.  

I asked you to explain the idiom in the bold underlined above that you claim to be an example of an ancient biblical idiom and you keep refusing, as you have refused to accept the King James Version's  own Dictionary   definition of the word - perfect. You favourite bible according to you.

You say  "only god can be perfect" yet the bible says different, and this is why you were afraid to commit yourself  because; as  Jesus once said, “You are in error because you do not know the Scriptures", Reverend "Tradey". 

As full, as perfect in a hair as heart.
2. Fully informed; completely skilled; as men perfect in the use of arms; perfect in discipline.
3. Complete in moral excellencies.

Just one of many examples:

These are the generations of Noah: Noah was a just man and perfect in his generations, and Noah walked with God.Genesis 6:9

You are a fraud, Reverend.

Bones
Bones
-->
@Tradesecret

The link between Grout and Shout is rhyming slang.  Yet not between "you pay for the next beer" and "shout".
Chains do not only have one link, they have multiple yet they are still a single entity.  

Shout ➜ Grout. 

Grout ➜ nice guy who will pay for beer. 

Shout ➜ someone who will pay for beer. 

Hold on Bones, I am not making an assertion here - well except to say it is a Hebrew Idiom
You stated that Idioms are a valid way to convey science. I said "find me a historical paper which delivers its thesis in idioms and riddles". You said "LOL! this is your baby. I am not going to do your homework for you". You are the one who thinks idioms are a valid way of conveying a thesis - I am asking you to find me someone who agrees with you. 

God is God.  He is Divine. He is immortal.  He is the creator of everything.  He is not supernatural.  He is entirely natural so far as divine beings go. 
I don't think being omnipotent is natural. 

Birds can fly. This is natural.  If a human flies - it is considered supernatural.  Flying itself is not supernatural except as it is applied to beings who do not naturally fly.  If God flies - it is not supernatural.  If God does divine things it is not supernatural.  It is divine - it is Godlike.  
If a bird talks, that is supernatural because the act of a bird vocalising words is beyond nature. The act of talking is not supernatural, so it is possible for some creatures to master it without being "God like". Things such as omnipotent are supernatural, that is some force beyond scientific understanding or the laws of nature. Talking is not beyond scientific understanding - infinite power is. 

I was pleased you did that. 
I didn't do it for nothing. 

I don't want to debate though. I was tempted.  
Any particular reason why? You are very active on the forums so time is not an issue - especially when debates can be formatted in a way which allows competitors to have 2 weeks to respond. I have stepped down to the burden issue - though I personally contend. 

Stephen
Stephen
-->
@Tradesecret
I asked you to define the word perfect when the word is used in the bible.

You say  "only god can be perfect" yet the bible says different, and this is why you were afraid to commit yourself to a definition  because; as  Jesus once said,
“You are in error because you do not know the Scriptures", Reverend "Tradey". 

King James Version's  own Dictionary   definition of the word - perfect. Your favourite bible according to you.

2. Fully informed; completely skilled; as men perfect in the use of arms; perfect in discipline.

But the high places were not taken away out of Israel: nevertheless the heart of Asa was perfect all his days.2 Chronicles 15:17

These are the generations of Noah: Noah was a just man and perfect in his generations, and Noah walked with God.Genesis 6:9

Tradesecret wrote: "I am not sure entirely what you mean [......]I have been taught to memorise the bible from very young. I have read the bible numerous times. I try and read the OT once every year and the NT twice a year.  I know it reasonable well and can even read Hebrew and Greek".#52

"Memorise scripture", my arse. You'l be telling us that you know the bible backwards next.

You are a fraud, Reverend.

MarkWebberFan
MarkWebberFan
-->
@FLRW
Look into Gnosticism. Gnosticism is the belief that human beings contain a piece of God (the highest good or a divine spark) within themselves, which has fallen from the immaterial world into the bodies of humans. All physical matter is subject to decay, rotting, and death. Gnostics focused on eradication of ignorance.
Jesus is identified by some Gnostics as an embodiment of the supreme being who became incarnate to bring gnōsis to the earth.
Wow, i actually did a bit of reading and it pains me to admit that gnosticism is sufficiently impressive imo. Most offshoots (like gnosticisims) are either too peculiar or too conspiratorial in their beliefs. I didnt expect a more somber impression of christianity in my reading of gnosticism.

Tradesecret
Tradesecret
-->
@Stephen
And I expressed you that I was not going to define it for you.  

I have no need to get caught up in all of your little games.   

Stephen
Stephen
-->
@Tradesecret
And I expressed you that I was not going to define it for you.  

I didn't ask you to define the word - perfect, did I reverend? 

I asked you if you accepted the King James Version Dictionary definition which defines the word _ perfect _ when used in the Bible as ;

You have also said that "no one is perfect but God" . YET!  the bible, - that you have" been taught to memorise since a very early age"#52 - and tell us:

"I  know the bible backwards - and frontwards - in Hebrew, Greek and Aramaic ",    doesn't agree with you.

How did you ever forget !? 

But the high places were not taken away out of Israel: nevertheless the heart of Asa was perfect all his days.2 Chronicles 15:17

These are the generations of Noah: Noah was a just man and perfect in his generations, and Noah walked with God.Genesis 6:9

You are a fraud Reverend.

Tradesecret
Tradesecret
-->
@Stephen
Well it takes one to know one - my kids always tell me. 

The only fraud here - well of a few - is you.