Why Is Religion so Important To The Believer ?

Author: Stephen

Total: 77
Stephen
Debates: 0
Stephen
Is religion simply a crutch for the lost and lonely wishing for a sense of belonging?

Does it give them strength that they believe they otherwise wouldn't have?

Is it  a social support structure that they cannot find elsewhere?

Why is religion so important to the believer ?

Polytheist-Witch
Debates: 1
Polytheist-Witch
I'm asking everyone who is a theist to completely avoid this one. I know some of you won't because you have to engage but just on this one let the atheists wallow in the mud by themselves. There's insults and then there's insults this one's pretty bad. It's barely even a religious question.
rosends
rosends
-->
@Stephen
Is religion simply a crutch for the lost and lonely wishing for a sense of belonging?

While I think that one thing religion can give some people is a sense of belonging, that is only one function and it might be a function that is only operative and important to a limited selection of people.

I have never seen this to be the case. I guess if you had a more precise question (or a broader one) I could address this more fully.

There are supportive aspects to a religious in-group that other in-groups do not provide. But there is a similarly unique set of social-structure attributes that find themselves expressed in other in-groups and which are absent from a religious connection.

That will depend on the individual believer. In some, religious identity (as deriving from ancestry and heritage and informing culture and daily structure) is a central part of the overall self-concept. For others, the section of communal connection is a relatively small but vital part of the notion of self. And there are, no doubt, loads of other possibilities.

Stephen
Stephen
-->
@Polytheist-Witch
I'm asking everyone who is a theist to completely avoid this one.

Very rude, Witch. But not unexpected coming from you. You that simply cannot accept that there are people that genuinely cannot accept your beliefs just on your say so.
FLRW
FLRW

Why Is Opium so Important To The User ?
Deb-8-a-bull
Deb-8-a-bull
What is  religion ?

Does believing in god has something to do with this religion?

Deb-8-a-bull
Deb-8-a-bull
Religion is so important because that is what it  "teaches " 
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Polytheist-Witch
@Stephen
Engaging is the whole point of the exercise Poly.

People believe because we continually transfer the relative data from generation to generation.

Data originally born out of ignorance.

It must have been a magical floaty about bloke, as it were.

The fact that we keep transferring said data, is a testament to human fallibility.

Some of us have moved on though.
FLRW
FLRW
-->
@zedvictor4
The fact that we keep transferring said data, is a testament to human fallibility.
Yes, it is Worm Man's  fallibility.
GnosticChristianBishop
GnosticChristianBishop
-->
@Stephen

No. In a tribal species like ours, seeking fellowship is a natural instinct for 95% of us.

Our first tribe/religion is our families, then to kin, town, country etc.

What is your religion/thinking and tribal system that you are following?

Statistics are showing how few really believe. Only about 5% of the affiliated ever go visit there God or church even once a year.

Today, here, yes.

In other places, no.

Organized churches have failed the population, but I do not mind the local emotional support that local churches can supply, --- better than a government system.

Emotional support, freely given by a life long community church friend, is real gift as compared to a paid employee crying with you.

It is his extended family.

Regards
DL

Stephen
Stephen
-->
@GnosticChristianBishop

No. In a tribal species like ours, seeking fellowship is a natural instinct for 95% of us.

Well isn't "  seeking fellowship " the same as  wishing for a sense of belonging?

Our first tribe/religion is our families, then to kin, town, country etc.

Most of us grow up and leave our families, towns and even countries of birth in some cases.

It is his extended family.

You have explained what it is but not why religion is important to the believer. Your answers above seems to agree that is all about a need for sense of belonging.

GnosticChristianBishop
GnosticChristianBishop
-->
@Stephen
What it is, is why it is important.

Duality.

Most of us have a sense of us being body and soul.

Just as our material side wishes to emulate the fittest human, our spiritual side seeks a higher power, to confirm that what we do physically is correct.

The religious aspect is not as important as the social need it caters to.

This is evidenced and proven by atheist churches.

Regards
DL 

Stephen
Stephen
-->
@GnosticChristianBishop
What it is, is why it is important.

So religion is important to the believer because it is "religion".  That doesn't explain too much at all does it GCP?

Most of us have a sense of us being body and soul.

Just as our material side wishes to emulate the fittest human, our spiritual side seeks a higher power, to confirm that what we do physically is correct.

The religious aspect is not as important as the social need it caters to.

Well that is just an opinion of what you understand other believers to understand. Some believers may agree with your opinion and many may not. Christians cannot agree among themselves about the life and times of the Christ. 

GnosticChristianBishop
GnosticChristianBishop
-->
@Stephen
Religion as I described it, correct.

You did not argue against any point.

It is not just opinion. It has facts and stats.

Again, you reject what is given without an argument against to indicate why you reject.

Go away till you learn how to debate.

Regards
DL
FLRW
FLRW
-->
@Stephen

On 3 January 1954, a year and three and a half months before his death, Albert Einstein (my third cousin) wrote: "The word God is for me nothing but the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of venerable but still rather primitive legends. No interpretation, no matter how subtle, can (for me) change anything about this. [...] For me the Jewish religion like all other religions is an incarnation of the most childish superstition. [...] I cannot see anything 'chosen' about them [the Jewish people].
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@GnosticChristianBishop
Religion as I described it, correct.

Do you mean ; as you described it  - IT IS - correct?

You did not argue against any point.

There is nothing there to argue. You gave an opinion. And your opinion goes nowhere in explaining to me why religion is important to the believer except for saying "seeking fellowship", which in fact you appear to have agreed with me ; here

Stephen wrote: Is religion simply a crutch for the lost and lonely wishing for a sense of belonging?

GnosticChristianBishop wrote: No. In a tribal species like ours, seeking fellowship is a natural instinct for 95% of us.

Stephen wrote: Well isn't "  seeking fellowship " the same as  wishing for a sense of belonging?#11

It is not just opinion. It has facts and stats.

And  these facts and states will be opinions of others in your own particular brand of religious belief, will they?

Again, you reject what is given without an argument against to indicate why you reject.

I have not rejected anything at all at the moment.  

Go away till you learn how to debate.

Didn't take you long to get on your own high  horse did it!? Stop being so childish. There are enough bible ignorant clowns here as it is.

Lunar108
Lunar108
-->
@Stephen
1.religion would give the believers  sense of superiority since they all believe that they are right and everybody else is wrong .
2.also making fun of the beliefs of others - the funniest thing about this is that each religion can see how ridiculous other religions are but they fail to see how ridiculous their own religion is -  ,
3.feeling self-righteousness from worshiping the right god/s and following the true religion whichever one that your parents choose for you that is .
4.give you a direct enemy to hate and blame your wrongdoings , laziness , bad behavior on -usually the devil - you can shift all of your shortcomings to it's because of the devil , not just your shortcomings but also your human nature.
5.ask humans to deny their human nature , then offer relief via religious ritual
6. offer you a group or a camp to belong to with both allies and enemies being charted , now you know who you should befriend and who should be your enemy.
7. telling you a modern person how to live your life , because the wisdom of the ancients fallacy or Appeal to tradition

Tarik
Tarik
-->
@Stephen
That'll be fear then?
…So the avoidance of fear and the seeking of happiness (heaven) is important no?
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@Tarik
Stephen wrote: That'll be fear then?
Tarik wrote:…So the avoidance of fear and the seeking of happiness (heaven) is important no?

Can you post the full content you appear to have left out something about "they don't want to go to hell" , if I'm correct?  I deleted your pm and to reply to this will not make sense. 

Tarik
Tarik
-->
@Stephen
you appear to have left out something about "they don't want to go to hell" , if I'm correct?
Yeah that sounds about right.
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@Tarik
Can you post the full content you appear to have left out something about "they don't want to go to hell" , if I'm correct?  I deleted your pm and to reply to this will not make sense. 
Yeah that sounds about right.

Ok then to give this its full context so anyone reading here can understand  ,  in reply to my question ;

you have said:

Tarik, wrote: "they don't want to go to hell"

Stephen wrote: That'll be fear then?
Tarik wrote:…So the avoidance of fear and the seeking of happiness (heaven) is important no?

What fear? Where did the fear come from in the first place?  And are you saying then that happiness cannot be attained without a belief in a religion? 

Tarik
Tarik
-->
@Stephen
Where did the fear come from in the first place?
I don’t know, maybe the answer is subject to the person but that’s a separate and more in depth question from the original forum post and my question wasn’t rhetorical BTW you said you were going to answer it here and you still haven’t, all you did was ask more questions based on my answer.
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@Tarik
Where did the fear come from in the first place?

I don’t know, .......you said you were going to answer it.

That's because I need to know that this "fear of hell"  you mention actually exists and where it originated. 

You have have said religion is important to believers because they are afraid of hell. But you cannot even tell me where the fear of "hell" originated. Not to mention where hell is located? Or if "hell"  is real and exists.

Tarik
Tarik
-->
@Stephen
That's because I need to know that this "fear of hell"  you mention actually exists and where it originated.
No you do not, last I checked the question was 

Not is religion a valid belief?
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@Tarik
Not is religion a valid belief.

And you have suggested it is "fear" but gone no further. 

I have simply asked why religion is important to the believer?

You have put the importance down to "fear of hell". Its a reasonable suggestion if you or they can prove there is such a place as "hell". Can you?  Because you haven't offered anything "valid" that supports your own suggestion.

...........last I checked the question was Why Is Religion so Important To The Believer ?  Not is religion a valid belief.
That's correct.  I didn't ask for anyone if religion is a valid belief or even for the believer to validate their belief. I don't care what someone does or doesn't believe.  I simply asked why is religion so  important to the believer. 

Tarik
Tarik
-->
@Stephen
I don't care what someone does or doesn't believe.  I simply asked why is religion so  importantto the believer. 
These are two contradicting statements. Clearly if your asking why in regards to a belief then that means you care about the belief, otherwise why ask why?
Stephen
Stephen
Why Is Religion so Important To The Believer ?
Not is religion a valid belief.

And you have suggested it is "fear" but gone no further. 

I have simply asked why religion is important to the believer?

You have put the importance down to "fear of hell". Its a reasonable suggestion if you or they can prove there is such a place as "hell". Can you?  Because you haven't offered anything "valid" that supports your own suggestion.

...........last I checked the question was Why Is Religion so Important To The Believer ?  Not is religion a valid belief.
That's correct.  I didn't ask for anyone if religion is a valid belief or even for the believer to validate their belief. I don't care what someone does or doesn't believe.  I simply asked why is religion so  important to the believer. 

These are two contradicting statements, clearly if your asking a question pertaining to someones then that means you care about there belief period.

I don't agree.  You are seriously confusing someone that cares  about someone with someone being interested in something. I am interested in many things, it doesn't automatically follow that I believe everything said about that which I have an interested in. 

Like I have said and asked : You have put the  importance of the believer believing in religion down to "fear of hell". Its a reasonable suggestion if you or they can prove there is such a place as "hell". Can you?  Because you haven't offered anything "valid" that supports your own suggestion.

You haven't answered where the belief in the "fear of hell" even originated.

Tarik
Tarik
-->
@Stephen
You are seriously confusing someone that cares  about someone with someone being interested in something.
To care about something is synonymous to showing interest about something.

I am interested in many things, it doesn't automatically follow that I believe everything said about that which I have an interested in.
…Okay? I never conflated belief with interest, I did however conflate care with interest.
Stephen
Stephen
I am interested in many things, it doesn't automatically follow that I believe everything said about that which I have an interested in.
…Okay? I never conflated belief with interest you did

I haven't  conflated anything. My mention of "belief" came on the back of, and  in response to, your  own comment here;

Stephen wrote: And are you saying then that happiness cannot be attained without a belief in a religion? #21
you ignored that question raised by your own comment. 
Now:
Read this again.  Like I have said and asked : You have put the  importance of the believer believing in religion down to "fear of hell". Its a reasonable suggestion if you or they can prove there is such a place as "hell". Can you?     Because you haven't offered anything "valid" that supports your own suggestion. 
You haven't answered where the belief in the "fear of hell" even originated.

Or are you now saying that "the fear off hell" is not a belief?
If you cannot support your own suggestion then this leaves only superstition. 

Tarik
Tarik
-->
@Stephen
You are seriously confusing someone that cares  about someone with someone being interested in something.
To care about something is synonymous to showing interest about something period.