Why Is Religion so Important To The Believer ?

Author: Stephen

Total: 77
Stephen
Debates: 0
Stephen
-->
@Tradesecret
Stephen, I don't have to believe it for the sake of a discussion.

But the "discussion" is about the believer and why religion is important to him/her? What's the point to posting anything when you don't believe it? 

Do you accept the KJV Bible Dictionary definition?

Religion
RELIGIONnoun relij'on. [Latin religio, from religo, to bind anew; re and ligo, to bind. This word seems originally to have signified an oath or vow to the gods, or the obligation of such an oath or vow, which was held very sacred by the Romans.]
1. religion in its most comprehensive sense, includes a belief in the being and perfections of God, in the revelation of his will to man, in man's obligation to obey his commands, in a state of reward and punishment, and in man's accountableness to God; and also true godliness or piety of life, with the practice of all moral duties. 

Tradesecret
Debates: 2
Tradesecret
-->
@Stephen

But the "discussion" is about the believer and why religion is important to him/her? What's the point to posting anything when you don't believe it? 

Religion
RELIGIONnoun relij'on. [Latin religio, from religo, to bind anew; re and ligo, to bind. This word seems originally to have signified an oath or vow to the gods, or the obligation of such an oath or vow, which was held very sacred by the Romans.]
1. religion in its most comprehensive sense, includes a belief in the being and perfections of God, in the revelation of his will to man, in man's obligation to obey his commands, in a state of reward and punishment, and in man's accountableness to God; and also true godliness or piety of life, with the practice of all moral duties. 

Circular argument. 

The believer in what? Religion or whatever a religion really is? I think you are a believer.  Religion is inescapable. And it is inevitable. 

I can accept any definition for the sake of the discussion.  

Effectively, my point is - religion is a word that people use in different senses depending upon the situation.

I can use religion in the following ways:

Religion = worldview

Religion = an organization - organized or not that practices religious practices. 

Religion = a worldview that promotes works to find happiness or heaven.

Religion = a worldview that leads to death and promotes slavery.

Religion = a charity that promotes the welfare of orphans and widows - the vulnerable.

Religion = an organization of like minded people to worship some kind of deity.

Religion = the opposite of Christianity. 

I often talk about Christianity not being a religion when distinguishing it from religion per se. And yet, when I am talking to fellow Christians, I would say Christianity is a religion.  It has the hallmarks of what some call a religion. And yet it - is also a way of life which goes beyond the ordinary definition of religion. In America religion is defined very broadly. In the UK and Australia it is defined narrowly. 

Within church circles, religion can have a good name or a bad name.  I am not talking about its links to child abuse and greed and lack of morals - which is a different topic altogether.  Rather about - the point of religion. Christians would often argue the case that Christianity is not a religion - because religion pursues ways of trying to please God in order to get to Heaven. Whereas Christianity teaches that God came to earth - and brought salvation without the need for humanity to try and please God. 

In that sense - Christians see religion as slavery. Always working for God to please him. As opposed to a way of life where God has demonstrated a willingness to live with and love humanity.  

Christians therefore distinguish themselves from religions.  All other religions attempt to please God - by working hard to please him.  Christians want to please God - but it is Christ's work which secures salvation - not theirs.   Their good works - are not to please God so much as demonstrating their gratefulness for what God has already done.  Saved by grace not by effort.  
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@Tradesecret

But the "discussion" is about the believer and why religion is important to him/her? What's the point to posting anything when you don't believe it? 

Religion

Circular argument. when I am talking to fellow Christians, I would say Christianity is a religion.

Nope. It is not circular. Stop being such a spineless coward. It is the KJV bible dictionary's definition of the word - religion.  Do you not accept this bible dictionary definition?

Tradesecret
Tradesecret
-->
@Stephen
Nope. It is not circular. Stop being such a spineless coward. It is the KJV bible dictionary's definition of the word - religion.  Do you not accept this bible dictionary definition?
I have no reason to answer your questions - and while you continue to throw out the delightful insults - I will continue to treat you as you deserve. 

Stephen
Stephen
-->
@Tradesecret
I have no reason to answer your questions

So you won't even accept the bible dictionary's definition of religion.
Then why even respond at all? Why are you on my thread? Why are you even on this forum, Reverend "Tradey"?

Why is it that you are desperately trying to distance religion from Christianity and Christianity from religion? That is an impossibility Reverend, is this why you are desperately attempting to redefine the word religion isn't it?

You know that you are always going to be questioned on the absurdities' that spill from that great big pompous pie hole of yours. Try not to forget that Reverend memory man.#52

Tradesecret
Tradesecret
-->
@Stephen
It is not your thread. I can accept any definition I like - just as you do or don't do. I respond because you talk nonsense as you mostly do. 

I think the notion of religion and Christianity in some senses are incompatible and in other senses they are totally consistent. 

Am I absurd? O I hope so. 
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
Semantics the lot of you.

If something can be known to be correct, then belief is unnecessary.

Belief is the acceptance of something that is uncertain or unknown.

And definition is an accepted lexicographical explanation of the meaning of words.

One does not need to believe a definition, that is accepted thus.
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@Tradesecret
it is not your thread.

Have you forgotten who you are today Reverend "memory man".?  This is my thread.

>>>>>>Author:Stephen,7 days ago.

You are just even too cowardly to accept the biblical definition of the word religion. And I know why too.

I can accept any definition I like -

So what definition are you going to accept for the word religion if not the definition of BIBLICAL dictionary

I think the notion of religion and Christianity in some senses are incompatible and in other senses they are totally consistent. 

What you think is irrelevant, you idiot. it the definition that counts.  Why is it that you are desperately trying to distance religion from Christianity and Christianity from religion? That is an impossibility Reverend, is this why you are desperately attempting to redefine the word religion isn't it?

No. You your just cowardly contradictory clown that attempts to redefine universally accepted definitions for words when they don't suit your own narrative.

Polytheist-Witch
Debates: 1
Polytheist-Witch
What's really important is what non-belief means to the atheist. Don't forget this Christmas to tell the theist in your life but you really think of them and see how that works out for you. Quit being cowards and only say it on the internet.
FLRW
FLRW

The only theists I know are on the internet. I am old enough that both of my parents are dead and the rest of the family and neighbors have an IQ over 110.
Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
-->
@FLRW
Or they're smart enough to know to stay away from you that you're a bigot and you like rapist.
FLRW
FLRW
-->
@Polytheist-Witch

Wait a minute, I never said that I liked Trump's best friend Jeffery Epstein.
Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
-->
@FLRW
No just rapist gods. 
FLRW
FLRW
-->
@Polytheist-Witch

Well, they did say Mary was a 14 year old virgin.
Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
-->
@FLRW
Yeap must be why you like to slum it here.
FLRW
FLRW
-->
@Polytheist-Witch

No, since I'm Trump's age, I come her to talk To young girls, you know, 50 to 60 year olds.
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@Tradesecret
it is not your thread.

Have you forgotten who you are today Reverend "memory man".?  This is my thread.

>>>>>>Author:Stephen,7 days ago.

You are just even too arrogant to accept the biblical definition of the word religion. And I think I know why too.

I can accept any definition I like -

So what definition are you going to accept for the word religion if not the definition of BIBLICAL dictionary

What you think is irrelevant,  its the definition that counts.  Why is it that you are desperately trying to distance religion from Christianity and Christianity from religion? That is an impossibility Reverend, is this why you are desperately attempting to redefine the word religion isn't it?

No. You your just  someone that attempts to redefine universally accepted definitions for words when they don't suit your own narrative.