Evidence for God

Author: rbelivb

Total: 191
Reece101
Debates: 1
Reece101
-->
@Polytheist-Witch
Okay well let's talk about this then the concept of God must be older than 2000 years if there were people worshiping gods in the bronze Age which was 3,700 years ago. Jesus is 2,000 years old other religions including the god of Abraham are older than that. If you can't figure out what people are saying or you don't understand the concepts involved in religion in general don't freaking come here and argue about them. The concept of God is much older than 2,000 years old and if you don't actually believe that then you are an idiot because there is actually archeology that supports the fact gods were worship longer than 2,000 years ago whether the gods exist or not they were worshiped so the concept existed.
There we go. Though you’re treating the Abrahamic God as if it’s not the same god throughout Christianity, Islam, Judaism. 
Stephen
Debates: 0
Stephen
-->
@Polytheist-Witch
Every atheist was present for the beginning of every religion what a miracle.

Then what happened, Witch?
ethang5
ethang5
-->
@Reece101
That didn’t answer my question. I’ll be more precise. How do you distinguish between God conceptually and God which you claim isn’t conceptual?
You are losing me because you seem to be asking me about something which is evidently obvious. Allow me to show you how I view your question and you can tell me if I'm mistaking your intent.

Let's substitute "wife" for God. I know you'll say my wife is physically here, but hold on, that is irrelavant to my argument.
How do you distinguish between God conceptually and God which you claim isn’t conceptual?

How do you distinguish between your wife  conceptually and your wife which you claim isn’t conceptual?
Well first. I know which things in my mind are MY concepts. I made them up. I remember making them up. They did not exist until I made them up. They don't change unless I change them. They never surprise me, or deviate from my conception of them.

Now God preceded me. He doesn't follow what I think He should be. He surprised me, I constantly have to adjust my conception of Him to keep it accurate.

Likewise, I have a concept of my wife in my mind. But she sometimes surprises me by being different from my conception of her. I know the concept of her in my mind is NOT her, no matter how accurate to reality it may be.

So asking me how I can tell the difference between my concept of my wife and my actual wife is, well, weird. Only a person with a tenuous grasp on reality would have any problem distinguishing.

Because you're a strict materialist atheist, you probably God has no interaction with me that I can perceive. This is not true.

Did I misunderstand you?
GnosticChristianBishop
GnosticChristianBishop
-->
@rbelivb
Do you have a material dualist view of life?

Do you think of you as a body and spirit/soul?

If you do, you would know that just as you were born thinking of yourself as the fittest human, your instincts are telling you that your spirit/soul part was also born thinking it was the fittest spirit and that to all should be,   --- God.

Nature implies that there is a God for you, and it is you.

Modern Gnostic Christians name our god "I am", and yes, we do mean ourselves.

You are your controller. I am mine. You represent and present whatever mind picture you have of your God or ideal human, and so do I.

The name "I Am" you might see as meaning something like, --- I think I have grown up thanks to having forced my apotheosis through Gnosis and meditation and “I am”, represents the best rules and laws that we have found to live by.

In Gnostic Christianity, we follow the Christian tradition that Christians have forgotten that they are to do. That is, become brethren to Jesus.

That is why some say that the only good Christian is a Gnostic Christian.

Here is the real way to salvation that Jesus taught.

Matthew 6:22 The light of the body is the eye: if therefore thine eye be single, thy whole body shall be full of light.

John 14:23 Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him.

Romans 8:29 For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.

Allan Watts explain those quotes in detail. 
Alan Watts - On The Book of Eli - YouTube

Joseph Campbell shows the same esoteric ecumenist idea in this link.

On Becoming an Adult - YouTube

The bible just plainly says to put away the things of children. The supernatural and literal reading of myths.

Regards
DL 

GnosticChristianBishop
GnosticChristianBishop
-->
@FLRW
I have to laugh at the soft and pampered of today, who cannot dither out that tough times mean tough laws.

If we continue to destroy our environment, the old and harsh times will return.

Regards
DL

FLRW
FLRW
-->
@GnosticChristianBishop
Nature implies that there is a God for you, and it is you.
The future of Intelligent Man is Gnostic Christianity. This will lead to the dying out of Worm Man.
ethang5
ethang5
-->
@zedvictor4
Initially you  agree with what I've always told you.
And then you go and contradict.
No contradiction. You are an atheist who is unable to distinguish between his thoughts and reality, so you think concepts of God are all there are because you think concepts of God are all there are. Lol. I think a real world exists outside my mind and its concepts.

In fact you do this not only with God, sometimes you seem to believe the only reality is inside the minds of men. I think that is dangerously illogical.

Mar 8:33 - Jesus turned around and looked at his disciples, then reprimanded Peter. “Get away from me, Satan!” he said. “You are seeing things merely from a human point of view, not from God’s.”

You are so invested in your own thought process, you run to humor as soon as you feel it threatened -  because you aren't willing to examine your beliefs least they should prove faulty. You are so comfortable where you are, smugness wraps you like a cloak.

GnosticChristianBishop
GnosticChristianBishop
-->
@FLRW
Worm Man?

Regards
DL
FLRW
FLRW
-->
@GnosticChristianBishop
Yes, from a previous post of mine.

Modern Man is separating into Worm Man and Intelligent Man.

Earthworms form herds and make "group decisions", scientists have discovered.
The earthworms use touch to communicate and influence each other's behaviour, according to research published in the journal Ethology.
By doing so the worms collectively decide to travel in the same direction as part of a single herd.

In Humans this is called Religion.

Reece101
Reece101
-->
@ethang5
You are losing me because you seem to be asking me about something which is evidently obvious. Allow me to show you how I view your question and you can tell me if I'm mistaking your intent.

Let's substitute "wife" for God. I know you'll say my wife is physically here, but hold on, that is irrelavant to my argument.
How do you distinguish between God conceptually and God which you claim isn’t conceptual?
No I wouldn’t. That’s it. Your wife isn’t an abstract (apart from how she’s defined) unlike God which is completely abstract. 

Well first. I know which things in my mind are MY concepts. I made them up. I remember making them up. They did not exist until I made them up. They don't change unless I change them. They never surprise me, or deviate from my conception of them.

Now God preceded me. He doesn't follow what I think He should be. He surprised me, I constantly have to adjust my conception of Him to keep it accurate.
Would you consider him genocidal then?

Likewise, I have a concept of my wife in my mind. But she sometimes surprises me by being different from my conception of her. I know the concept of her in my mind is NOT her, no matter how accurate to reality it may be.
I’m sure there’s actual philosophical terms that we’re discussing, but it will probably take too much time for me trying to find what they’re called.

You would agree your wife isn’t abstract though apart from how we define her, correct? 

So asking me how I can tell the difference between my concept of my wife and my actual wife is, well, weird. Only a person with a tenuous grasp on reality would have any problem distinguishing.
To me your wife is your wife (by definition) and I know she isn’t completely abstract unless she’s a fictional person.

Because you're a strict materialist atheist, you probably God has no interaction with me that I can perceive. This is not true.

Did I misunderstand you?
Okay can you tell me what interactions God has with you? I assume It will be on par with your wife.  
ethang5
ethang5
-->
@Reece101

No I wouldn’t. That’s it. Your wife isn’t an abstract (apart from how she’s defined) unlike God which is completely abstract. 
Well, it will be very easy for you if you simply insist your beliefs are reality. I don't mind you "winning" that way. God is not "abstract" at all. In fact, I don't even know what "abstract" means as you use it here.

Would you consider him genocidal then?
No. I may not be an Einstein, but I'm certainly not that stupid. Why would I consider that?

I’m sure there’s actual philosophical terms that we’re discussing, but it will probably take too much time for me trying to find what they’re called.
True, but using formal terminology would clutter the process, and would make people not familiar with the jargon less able to follow.

You would agree your wife isn’t abstract though apart from how we define her, correct? 
What does "abstract" mean. Not in existence? Because God exists.

To me your wife is your wife (by definition)...
And my God is my God by definition.

...and I know she isn’t completely abstract unless she’s a fictional person.
So you are using "abstract" in terms of non-existent. But is it logical to insist on your conclusion while we argue your argument? Should we not establish the truth of  your premises first, and then see if your conclusion follows necessarily from them?

Because you're a strict materialist atheist, you probably think God has no interaction with me that I can perceive. This is not true. Did I misunderstand you?

Okay can you tell me what interactions God has with you? I assume It will be on par with your wife.  
Much deeper. God created me with his very "hands". He sustains me. The life force/power in my body and mind are sourced from Him. He soothes me when I'm afraid or dejected, He directs when I'm lost. He protects my loved ones. He gives me peace that passes understanding. He understands me.

I would have to lie to say I was unsure God exists.

Why could you not have used "non-existent"? How was "abstract" a more honest choice? We already know you don't think God exists, how can a premise in your argument that God doesn't exist, be your conclusion?? (And yes, there is a name for that logical fallacy.)

If you think my arguments success depends on your credulity, then I will have no problem leaving you to your beliefs that you conflate with reality. I just thought you were about to logically show me how God couldn't exist, instead of simply telling me in a dodgy way, that I must be wrong because - you don't think God exists.

Bummer.
Reece101
Reece101
-->
@ethang5
Well, it will be very easy for you if you simply insist your beliefs are reality. I don't mind you "winning" that way. God is not "abstract" at all. In fact, I don't even know what "abstract" means as you use it here.
By abstract I mean intangible. How do you experience God outside the mind without delving into new age spiritual abstraction?

No. I may not be an Einstein, but I'm certainly not that stupid. Why would I consider that?
Because God has genocidal tendencies. A big one would be the flood for example. 

True, but using formal terminology would clutter the process, and would make people not familiar with the jargon less able to follow.
I think it would expand and clarify a lot of ideas while condensing the conversation. It would just take a quick google search for us to be on the same page. The dilemma would be for me to find the terminology in the first place.

What does "abstract" mean. Not in existence? Because God exists.
I’m just going to be blunt. God exists just like my dragon. Though you might be more emotionally invested. Existence is a big umbrella term if you ditch colloquial speech. 

And my God is my God by definition.
Yes it is.

So you are using "abstract" in terms of non-existent. But is it logical to insist on your conclusion while we argue your argument? Should we not establish the truth of  your premises first, and then see if your conclusion follows necessarily from them?
Again I’m using abstract in terms of intangibility. Is this the premise you wanted?

Much deeper. God created me with his very "hands". He sustains me. The life force/power in my body and mind are sourced from Him. He soothes me when I'm afraid or dejected, He directs when I'm lost. He protects my loved ones. He gives me peace that passes understanding. He understands me.
I could say the same thing about my dragon.

I would have to lie to say I was unsure God exists.

Why could you not have used "non-existent"? How was "abstract" a more honest choice? We already know you don't think God exists, how can a premisein your argument that God doesn't exist, be your conclusion?? (And yes, there is a name for that logical fallacy.)

If you think my arguments success depends on your credulity, then I will have no problem leaving you to your beliefs that you conflate with reality. I just thought you were about to logically show me how God couldn't exist, instead of simply telling me in a dodgy way, that I must be wrong because - you don't think God exists.

Bummer.
Fiction still exists conceptually. I’m not using existence in a colloquial sense because we’ll probably end up in the weeds if we go down that road.
Sum1hugme
Debates: 37
Sum1hugme
-->
@Tarik
I did answer. I don't see how it's relevant. Stop dancing around my question or let Eternlvw, who the question was originally directed towards, answer himself. 
GnosticChristianBishop
GnosticChristianBishop
-->
@FLRW
I agree but think religions to be synonymous with tribe.

Do you recognize your tribal nature?

Do you recognize, that as a social animal, you are likely in some kind of tribe or religion?

Do you recognize that we seek fellowship?

Even if you are a statist, that is still your tribe. 

What are your thoughts on atheist churches?

Regards
DL
FLRW
FLRW
-->
@GnosticChristianBishop

Yes to all your questions. Atheists should not have churches . The English language word "church" is from the Old English word cirice, derived from West Germanic *kirika, which in turn comes from the Greek κυριακή kuriakē, meaning "of the Lord" (possessive form of κύριος kurios "ruler" or "lord"). I think the spiritual future of Man is Gnosticism.  Gnostics focus on eradication of ignorance.
EtrnlVw
EtrnlVw
-->
@Sum1hugme
How do you know that your experience of God isn't merely an illusion?

Because I'm not fooled by my own senses. My own senses tell me what I experience every single fckng day, when I perceive something outside the domains of my own mind and thoughts, my own awareness of what is and what is not happening I'm very aware of what is taking place. It's very easy for a guy like you to assume all sorts of crap about anything spiritually related but spiritual experiences are very clear, not distorted and certainly accompanied with meaning and truth about reality. 
I've had spiritual visions, seen spiritual beings and have had many spiritual experiences and they are unlike any other experience. They aren't a distortion of the senses; they are not a deceptive encounter, and they are not false ideas or false beliefs, they're independent of what we would perceive in the material world because there is also a reality that exists independent of the material world. They are experiences that occur to our perception obviously, but they originate and are generated outside the confines of our personal parameters of the mind, thoughts, emotions, fears, desires and limited perceptions of reality. 
There is indeed a much, much larger picture and we have access to that reality, but spiritual experiences are like glimpses into the vast worlds of God. Your fear of illusions is enforced by your own bias towards spirituality, that none of it can be possible. What you don't experience now you will experience later, might as well lose the bias. 
EtrnlVw
EtrnlVw
-->
@rbelivb
This seems to be the key point. There is a difference between what makes sense theologically, versus what believers actually have in mind when they think about God.

The key point I was making, is that it doesn't really matter what we believe about God in relation to God's existence. What does God's existence have to do with rumors? other than a rumor is just a rumor?

I am sure that believers have experiences that assure them, from their point of view, that a being exists - called "God" because of the connotations of that word.

Okay....

But if we really follow out the implications of a being, absolutely omniscient, omnipresent and omnipotent -

Is this what you think about God? or is this someone's assumption about God? Some of these terms are simply unnecessary.

by definition this is such an abstract concept

Is it? I don't see anything abstract here. I see ideas that may or may not be accurate, but certainly feasible as an objective reality. If God exists, God should certainly be considered a maximal being, but there is no need to assert anything other than that.

that we have no way to know that whatever our intuitive idea about God really has any relation to what God "really is."

What is your own intuitive idea about God? my next question would be.....does your own intuitive idea about God have any relevance to whether or not God actually exists? what I'm trying to get it is, the point that you are making is moot, irrelevant. We can believe all sorts of crap about God, but God still exists. The only thing that our personal belief (about God) changes is our personal perception of God, but God still exists despite what we think about it.
Let's say for example, that there were rumors going around about you that may not be accurate. What effect does that have on reality other than someone's opinion about you? the point I'm making, is that if God exists it doesn't really matter what anything thinks about God....what God "really is". Either God exists or God does not, our opinions about what God is or is not has no bearing on reality. 

GnosticChristianBishop
GnosticChristianBishop
-->
@FLRW
I kind of agree on the word or label of atheist church, although I recognize why atheists are using the term.

I prefer the older " Mystery Schools."

It was an important distinction in the past showing where not to go for charity. That is not what the Mystery Schools were. 

They were more for the intelligentsia than the common illiterate.

They were guild driven schools for all of the arts and skills.

"Gnostics focus on eradication of ignorance."

Indeed, and without atheist churches, the old Mystery Schools of the past, we could not educate the ignorant back then or here and now.

We have a duty to the goal you recognize, but you would pull the rug out from under us by not having a soapbox to teach the ignorant from.

Rethink good buddy.

Regards
DL
GnosticChristianBishop
GnosticChristianBishop
-->
@EtrnlVw
"our opinions about what God is or is not has no bearing on reality."

You are not looking at the right places.

The opinions on god that the mainstream hold, has cause churches to preach homophobia and misogyny while our governments preach equality.

You have a moral duty to fight that shit, but I guess you can't smell it in your reality.

Think of your own family line and you might get it.

Regards
DL 
EtrnlVw
EtrnlVw
-->
@GnosticChristianBishop
"our opinions about what God is or is not has no bearing on reality."

You are not looking at the right places.

What do you mean by "you"? You never asked about my opinions, you can start there thanks. Let me know when you're ready. 

Sum1hugme
Debates: 37
Sum1hugme
-->
@EtrnlVw
So you know because your senses don't deceive you? How do you know your senses aren't deceiving you? How do you know your experience isn't an illusion? 

You can't just say you know because you know.
rbelivb
rbelivb
-->
@EtrnlVw
Is this what you think about God? or is this someone's assumption about God? Some of these terms are simply unnecessary.
Believers have "faith" because their concrete ideas about God are mere arbitrary imaginings with no basis in experience nor in reason, but only as images passed down in stories from one generation to the next. We do not know anything about what created humanity, nor do we know anything about that being - if there is one - that looks down upon human affairs and guides them from above. The intuitions or direct experiences of these can only have as much weight as any other intuition. If your ideas about something are entirely untethered from your mind and from your senses, what can it mean to say you believe in it? Why believe it rather than something else? To believe in that sense simply means to affirm. The word "God" being ultimately reduced to a mere sound uttered, the idea of belief becomes nothing more than an affirmation.
EtrnlVw
EtrnlVw
-->
@rbelivb
Believers have "faith" because their concrete ideas about God are mere arbitrary imaginings with no basis in experience nor in reason

Lol, sounds like you're done having a conversation here. Let me know when you want to know something instead of asserting it. BTW, faith is not a "belief", it is the trust and confidence in how much you know something that supports a belief through experience and reason. Without reason or experience there can be no faith, because trust and confidence require both of those factors. I'm telling you this from a spiritual perspective, this idea that faith means to belief in anything without reason or evidence is a useless term. The more reason and substance one has to accept something as true, the more faith they have. The less reason and evidence a person has to believe something the less faith they have.

We do not know anything about what created humanity

"We"? or you?

nor do we know anything about that being - if there is one

Creating topics like this one helps, it would also help if you don't assume nobody can know anything. I mean it contradicts you asking questions in the first place. Next, and perhaps most important, is to narrow down your inquiries of who you decide to learn from.

- that looks down upon human affairs and guides them from above.

Before we decide what God does and doesn't, we should probably at least get you to consider that God exists.

The intuitions or direct experiences of these can only have as much weight as any other intuition.

From your perspective I understand that. But when I experience something, I know it first hand. It would help if you were to perhaps investigate further about it if you wish to understand.

If your ideas about something are entirely untethered from your mind and from your senses, what can it mean to say you believe in it? Why believe it rather than something else? To believe in that sense simply means to affirm. The word "God" being ultimately reduced to a mere sound uttered, the idea of belief becomes nothing more than an affirmation.

I think you're making this more difficult than it really is, there is some simplicity involved in all of this. For starters there are various reasons people have to believe in God. But we want to start with a basic premise that is solid before we get into complexities. Sure, there are those who trust what their siblings have passed down to them and so there is no real reason to follow up on their beliefs. We can move that category to the side for now because there is really nothing we can gain from that.

Then, there are those who can simply observe life and the universe and become rationally convinced that God most certainly exists simply through reason, logic, common sense and perhaps what they feel is good evidence to suggest it. But even within this category there's going to be various levels of thought and reason....This boils down to interpretation (correlation) and indication as I pointed out before.
With this type of deduction, we can perhaps sway your rational mind and intellect that any other worldview or proposition for our existence is ridiculous to accept and simply will no longer do. You would have to be willing to truly examine your own worldview and stop relying on foolish mistakes religion or religious people have done and have put forward in regards to assertions about God. Meaning, the key would be for you to really evaluate why anything exists at all, why processes occur and why we have a functioning, intelligent universe. You want to put your own beliefs on the stand so-to-speak and make sure that what you have accepted is legitimate.

Once we satisfy the intellect then we have a third category, and this falls within the realms of experiential and observational knowledge. This goes back to what I was saying in my first post, spirituality is a process of learning and acquiring knowledge through experience, observation and application rather than simply appeasing the intellect.
Again, even within this category you will find various levels of expertise and knowledge so like I said above you want to really narrow down your search for truth in this area of inquiry. More importantly, if you wish to apply spirituality to yourself you have to be willing to get involved and get your hands dirty. This is where the student becomes the Master, but the student must be willing to apply what the Master teaches.
For me personally, if anyone expects to gain my trust they must qualify as someone who I feel is highly intelligent and sensible as well as possess a wealth of real experiential knowledge. Before I even consider what anyone has to say, they must prove themselves worthy to be heard. Sensibility goes a long way in this category and being able to offer their student something tangible or applicable.

In sports, Martial arts or any field of expertise one must be willing to learn from another if they wish to become anything or have any ability that amounts to something useful. Practice is something that often times is overlooked in spirituality yet is thoroughly understood if one wishes to develop any kind of ability, art, skill or craft. The same principle applies to spirituality, if you want to develop that part of yourself you must be willing to apply things in whatever form that takes on. Spirituality isn't about "beliefs" but about application and observation.
But if you come across someone who happens to make sense, you should be willing to listen and consider what they say before you reject it. You will know when that time comes. 

Tarik
Tarik
-->
@Sum1hugme
I did answer.
No you didn’t, you conceded as much when you said

I don't feel like going through my moral epistemology.
So if that’s your story and your sticking to it then so am I.
EtrnlVw
EtrnlVw
-->
@Sum1hugme
So you know because your senses don't deceive you? How do you know your senses aren't deceiving you? How do you know your experience isn't an illusion?

The only way I can truly know something is to experience it or observe it. What reason would have to believe that my senses deceive me when it relates to spirituality? if I rely on my own senses for every other observation or experience why would I expect my senses to suddenly deceive me when it comes to spiritually related observations? You glossed over my response and misquoted my answer. I'm already very familiar with my own senses, as you should be also.....when you observe or experience something, do you question whether or not it was an illusion? I'm aware of what is real and what is not as my observations are a primary function of what I am and what I know.
I also know what my own senses produce and what my own mind and thoughts produce which is why I indicated that I understand the difference between something I created as opposed to something occurring outside or distinct from the parameters of my own output and input.

You can't just say you know because you know.

Is that what I said? or did I say this....

"Because I'm not fooled by my own senses. My own senses tell me what I experience every single fckng day, when I perceive something outside the domains of my own mind and thoughts, my own awareness of what is and what is not happening I'm very aware of what is taking place. It's very easy for a guy like you to assume all sorts of crap about anything spiritually related but spiritual experiences are very clear, not distorted and certainly accompanied with meaning and truth about reality.
I've had spiritual visions, seen spiritual beings and have had many spiritual experiences and they are unlike any other experience. They aren't a distortion of the senses; they are not a deceptive encounter, and they are not false ideas or false beliefs, they're independent of what we would perceive in the material world because there is also a reality that exists independent of the material world. They are experiences that occur to our perception obviously, but they originate and are generated outside the confines of our personal parameters of the mind, thoughts, emotions, fears, desires and limited perceptions of reality.
There is indeed a much, much larger picture and we have access to that reality, but spiritual experiences are like glimpses into the vast worlds of God. Your fear of illusions is enforced by your own bias towards spirituality, that none of it can be possible. What you don't experience now you will experience later, might as well lose the bias."

If you want to deal with the contents of what I write I'd be more than willing to articulate, if not buzz off. 
GnosticChristianBishop
GnosticChristianBishop
-->
@EtrnlVw
"What do you mean by "you"?"

Do you think we define that word differently?

Regards
DL
EtrnlVw
EtrnlVw
-->
@GnosticChristianBishop
Your post assumes too many assertions for me to even begin to justify replying to. So, I say again, if you wish to know my opinions and beliefs you can start by asking. Once you thoroughly understand them, then you can continue to make stupid statements that may apply to me. 
Lunar108
Lunar108
-->
@rbelivb
which god should you follow ? how do you decide ?
do you know what the modified pascal wager is ?
there's like 4300+ religion and each one worships a different god , each god have a different sets of what you should and shouldn't do with your life 
if you worship the wrong god you'll end up angering the true god so how do you choose and how do you decide ?
EtrnlVw
EtrnlVw
-->
@Lunar108
which god should you follow ? how do you decide ?

First you decide if you can handle accepting God exists. Once you decide God exists it doesn't matter which name man has provided. What you want to look for, is things that resonate with you and knowledge you know you can accept as being true. You don't even need religion to become a Theist. Your soul originated with God not with religion. You're just looking to find your way back to your origins being a blind man, all religions can do for you is offer you information that can get you back in alignment with what you already knew. This is all innate to you, you just have to remove the conditioning that has shielded the truth from your soul since you were born. 
Lunar108
Lunar108
-->
@EtrnlVw
let me say this clearly , as I have mentioned in the post before :
feelings and personal experiences tend to be unreliable for making such a decision .