why do religion fears criticism , kills blasphemers and apostates

Author: Lunar108

Total: 32
Lunar108
Debates: 0
Lunar108
why do religions -in general- fears criticism ?
I mean if you know that you're religion is the only one true religion out there would you really fear criticism ?
would you need to be two faced and hide some stuff when you talk about your religion ?
would you need to dirty your hands and kill blasphemers and apostates ?
is it not enough that your god would punish them in the afterlife as your religion claims ?
how pathetic is your god and it's trust in its very own religion to need a death penalty to dissuade  people from leaving that religion or insulting it ?
Lemming
Debates: 6
Lemming
-->
@Lunar108
Of course other isms such as Communism do not fears criticism , kills blasphemers and apostates.
Stalin was well known for his soft touch towards those who held different views than himself and his party.
(Sarcasm)

And I'm not trying to poke Communism here more than other isms,
I could have been sarcastic about other groupings and instances in history.
EtrnlVw
EtrnlVw
-->
@Lunar108
Do you understand patriotism? when you understand what a creed is, perhaps it will help you sympathize with religion. Religion is like various cultures spread out all over the earth, whether or not you agree with their laws and teachings their laws and teachings represent their patronage. That is what makes them independent of every other belief system.....
Your questions are deserving of what it means to be an independent agent, but completely ignorant of cultural and spiritual patronage. There is no one true religion just like there is no one true country or state....they all exist and have relevance to their existence. This same reality extends to the afterlife, which many people have no idea about and no realization of. 
Lunar108
Lunar108
-->
@Lemming
are you comparing religion to Stalin ? well , I guess both are bad.
sadly though while stalin is already dead religion still lives today , and will continue to do so
Lunar108
Lunar108
-->
@EtrnlVw
many religious people believe otherwise , and are actively engaging in preaching their religion because they believe that they are saving people from going to hell ,
are you comparing belonging to a country with belonging to a religion ? those two things couldn't be more different 
FLRW
FLRW

Remember that religion came about when early man was looking at his rotting leg and 3 dead kids. He said that God must have a plan for this, so lets start a religious movement to praise Him. Remember that it is "Him" because God was created in Man's image. Does anyone know why God created Down syndrome?
The population of people with Down syndrome in the U.S. has been estimated to be over 400,000.
EtrnlVw
EtrnlVw
-->
@Lunar108
are you comparing belonging to a country with belonging to a religion ? 

I'm comparing one's feeling with the passion they have for something they admire and love, are loyal to and fight for. 

those two things couldn't be more different 

Lol really? you didn't explain how. How is one's patronage and loyalty to their country so different from their passion and loyalty to their religion? in terms of something they feel strongly and deeply about? 
EtrnlVw
EtrnlVw
-->
@Lunar108
Don't get me wrong, I don't believe there should be any fear of criticism or the persecution of others, that wasn't the point I was making. I'm just sharing with you why people are so defensive. 
Lemming
Lemming
-->
@Lunar108
Your ready misunderstanding, in which you mistakenly think my point was that all Religions are Stalin,
Continues to show me the 'caliber of your current thoughts, regarding religion.
Lunar108
Lunar108
-->
@Lemming
then what did you do exactly , care to explain ?
Lemming
Lemming
-->
@Lunar108
People, Groups, Organizations, power hierarchies, in 'general, do not like to be criticized.
Nor are they always fond of the beliefs advocated by those criticizing.

But this does not mean groups or individuals are 'always thin skinned or unwilling to accept criticism.
Devil's advocate - Wikipedia  "is a former official position within the Catholic Church, the Promoter of the Faith: one who "argued against the canonization (sainthood) of a candidate in order to uncover any character flaws or misrepresentation of the evidence favoring canonization".[1]"

Religions, like people, governments, 'vary.
I could have brought up Democratic Americas Red Scare - Wikipedia, instead of Stalin,
But Stalin and the USSR was known for Atheism,
And I disliked the caricature of religion, as I saw your argument.

The 'point in all this, is I hardly see defensiveness as 'defining or 'unique to religion.
Nor Censorship or a care of what information, misinformation is promoted in the public sphere.

Regardless of religion,
Communities have 'long had concerns of the people's morals and/or ethics being corrupted by individuals and groups.
Lunar108
Lunar108
-->
@Lemming
you're forgetting something very important 
1.people , regimes ,governments , groups ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, etc are imperfect , no one dares to claim to be perfect among them -and even if they did no one will believe them -.
2. when it comes to religion those people can't shut up about how perfect their god/s are , or how perfect their divine law is  .
as the perfect benevolent you would expect god to less of a sensitive crybaby and extreme butthurt, and expect him to more tolerant towards his very own creation. 
----------------------=============================
under the assumption that god do exist and a good righteous benevolent -omnipotent,,,,,etc-  god your very creator and the creator of the universe -as religions claim- , your blasphemy doesn't effect god , god wouldn't punish you for it or the true god at least and wouldn't sent people to kill you for it , or even apostasy , you would expect a broader mindset then that .
you don't expect god or at least a true god to be butting heads with a human being .
that would be the equivalent of you butting heads  with an ant .
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
let me put it this way :
does satire hurt god ?
does critcism hurt god ?
does apostasy hurt god ?
does blasphemy hurt god ?
if you answer anyone of those as yes then your god isn't worthy of worship .
and punishing any person for one of those is an act of self-righteousness .
if your god doesn't mind their existence and didn't punish them by himself who are you to judge in his place ? -under the assumption that your god do exist that is - 
Lemming
Lemming
-->
@Lunar108
People should mind what happens to their society, when values are treated with irreverence, derision, contempt, no value, nihilism.
Lunar108
Lunar108
why should the follower of the true religion and the true god mind the irreverence, derision, contempt, no value, nihilism directed towards their beliefs if they are so sure that their beliefs are right -true- ?
Lemming
Lemming
-->
@Lunar108
Ever read about Israel in the Old Testament, on the occasions they turned from their God and values?
Ever see a functional family, where irreverence, derision, contempt, no value, nihilism was directed at and by each family member?
Ever see many students 'learn, in a classroom without respect?
Lunar108
Lunar108
-->
@Lemming
let me give you an example :
you're walking on the street and you see a homeless person , you walk towards the homeless person and give him some change , then you notice that the people around you are looking at you with 
 irreverence, derision, contempt, no value, nihilism 

for doing charity , would you mind them ?
no , because you know that you have done the right thing
=======================================
you met god and it told you
you will get to heaven if 
1.believed in god -it-
2. was a good person -no killing, no stealing, don't be a d*** ...............etc-  
3. you have to do a stupid dance on a certain day of the week 
you did exactly as god told you but people looked at you with 
 irreverence, derision, contempt, no value, nihilism
would you really mind them , you're 100% sure you're right 
Lemming
Lemming
-->
@Lunar108
You 'would mind people treating the homeless with  irreverence, derision, contempt, no value, nihilism.
You would mind people treating a friend, mother, father, sibling, stranger, with irreverence, derision, contempt, no value, nihilism.
I 'imagine.

Acknowledgement of social psychology, development, and causation, is 'not wrong.

The American Flag isn't even a person, and I don't appreciate people burning or stomping on it.
For what that disrespect 'means.
EtrnlVw
EtrnlVw
-->
@Lunar108
as the perfect benevolent you would expect god to less of a sensitive crybaby and extreme butthurt, and expect him to more tolerant towards his very own creation. 
----------------------=============================
under the assumption that god do exist and a good righteous benevolent -omnipotent,,,,,etc-  god your very creator and the creator of the universe -as religions claim- , your blasphemy doesn't effect god , god wouldn't punish you for it or the true god at least and wouldn't sent people to kill you for it , or even apostasy , you would expect a broader mindset then that .
you don't expect god or at least a true god to be butting heads with a human being .
that would be the equivalent of you butting heads  with an ant .
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
let me put it this way :
does satire hurt god ?
does critcism hurt god ?
does apostasy hurt god ?
does blasphemy hurt god ?
if you answer anyone of those as yes then your god isn't worthy of worship .
and punishing any person for one of those is an act of self-righteousness .
if your god doesn't mind their existence and didn't punish them by himself who are you to judge in his place ? -under the assumption that your god do exist that is - 
You still just don't seem to get it and you are also conflating two distinct questions. Number one, just because religious followers have an attitude of defensiveness does not mean that God does. Your title asks "why do religions fear criticism?" in which I suppose you meant why do religious followers feel disrespected by criticism and satire. That's easy to answer of course.
There's a certain amount of reverence and respect one feels when they approach related topics or accusations about God or their religious teachings. People feel very defensive about any figure with a very high status such as Kings, Queens, Presidents or any leaders that represent a group of people ect ect...I don't think it's a fear of criticism per say, more than it is a reaction of pride and emotions of being highly disrespected and facing a lack of reverence about something they deeply admire. Kind of like when people insult someone's mother, it usually provokes a good amount of anger and defensiveness. Much more so when we are talking about God, as it is a topic that touches the very core of every religious person.

So, assuming you were to criticize someone's religious beliefs or mock their Prophets and Teachers it is certainly going to provoke anger because it is something they highly respect. This should be pretty obvious. Whether or not they feel confident that they follow a true religion is really irrelevant.

Number two, God is most likely unbothered by the slander and criticism of men. That doesn't mean that those who deeply love and admire God will feel the same way. Obviously, religious followers believe they adhere to what they feel is true and if you were to criticize their beliefs it's the same as criticizing God, to them it is simply a disrespect or an insult. We can look at the actions of man and acknowledge that humans don't like their beliefs criticized but we don't know if that is true about God. Even if religious texts suggest that God is angered by trash talk and disrespect it doesn't mean it's actually true.

Number three, you're questioning a religious forum where there really aren't any active Muslims to answer for your contentions. Personally, I got used to atheists and non-believer's sick comments about my beliefs and continual mocking of God a long, long time ago. At first, I was startled that so many people could just have so much disgust, anger and contempt for or about God but that's because I always had reverence for the subject matter. Now, it's just something I'm numb to lol. I don't really care about criticism more than I care about people's potential, and if they hold so much animosity about God and religion they might miss out on some very beautiful aspects of our existence.

Polytheist-Witch
Debates: 1
Polytheist-Witch
Power is taken in many ways. Unfortunately religion is one way. 
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@Polytheist-Witch
Power is taken in many ways. Unfortunately religion is one way. 

You tell us that your own particular religion is "Heathenism" & that you are "a solitary" #14,. What power has your own solitary brand of Witchery & heathenism has your religion taken away from you, Witch?
Yassine
Debates: 3
Yassine
-->
@Lunar108
- Weird that you mention this, I was wondering the same thing about your violent culture. Why is Liberal Capitalism afraid of satire? Thousands of Americans who dared disagree & profess communist ideas were persecuted & incarcerated. Some states even imposed life-sentence, some even as far as the death penalty just for advocacy! People getting jailed & fined for denying the Holocaust in Europe, & for denying gay rights in the US. Damn! We've never heard of this anywhere in the Muslim world ever. Care to explain?

- It is the Liberal Secular West that is terrified of criticism & challenge. They could only force their values literally on everyone while staring down the barrel, with all means possible: invasions, bombings, blockades, political pressure, debts...etc. Yet, no alternative worldview is ever allowed in the slightest in any systematic institution, wether be it the government, justice, education, media, academia...etc.. none whatsoever. 
Lunar108
Lunar108
-->
@Yassine
1.I'm pretty sure that you're aware that homosexuality is punished by the death penalty in islam 
if you deny that then please tell me that allah didn't punish the people of lut/lot for homosexuality and why were they punished ? in the story mentioned in the quran ?
2.Liberal Capitalism WTF is that , feel free to name any Capitalist/liberalist you want and I'll write an entire novel of satire about them
you know what, I'll write a novel where Liberalism/Capitalism raping them in the @55/having an@l s*x with them  and I'll share it on the internet
give me the name of any Liberal Capitalist and I'll write you a trilogy of gay erotica , I'll include even bestiality , if you commission me too I'll pay an artist to draw some illustrations and include them in the book too
==================================================
would you bear it if I did the same to your prophet and god ,?
Yassine
Yassine
-->
@Lunar108
1.I'm pretty sure that you're aware that homosexuality is punished by the death penalty in islam 
if you deny that then please tell me that allah didn't punish the people of lut/lot for homosexuality and why were they punished ? in the story mentioned in the quran ?
- Red herring. Answer my objections, don't run.

2.Liberal Capitalism WTF is that , feel free to name any Capitalist/liberalist you want and I'll write an entire novel of satire about them
you know what, I'll write a novel where Liberalism/Capitalism raping them in the @55/having an@l s*x with them  and I'll share it on the internet
give me the name of any Liberal Capitalist and I'll write you a trilogy of gay erotica , I'll include even bestiality , if you commission me too I'll pay an artist to draw some illustrations and include them in the book too
- Eww, please keep your nastiness to yourself!! Disgusting! I'm sure there are thousands of even worse books written against Islam! It's quite a profitable business...

- You haven't addressed anything I said. Care to explain why thousands of Americans in the 50s & 60s were incarcerated & persecuted -up to death penalty, just for the thought crime of expressing disapproval of Liberal Capitalism? Why hundreds of American citizens are now in prison just for protesting Liberal tyranny? If you're so brave & mighty, succeed in introducing a course challenging Secular Liberal Capitalism in any Western academia or a law undermining Secular Liberal Capitalism in any Western code of law? I'll believe then that the West is not afraid of criticism & challenge...

would you bear it if I did the same to your prophet and god ,?
- What is a nasty person like you got on the greatest & most beloved human who ever lived? Muhammed (pbuh)'s legacy will persist long after you're dead & forgotten. LOL! Is nastiness the only thing you have to offer..?! Sad!
RationalMadman
Debates: 565
RationalMadman
 I'm sure there are thousands of even worse books written against Islam! It's quite a profitable business...
Not really, they shoot you down if you dare.
Lunar108
Lunar108
-->
@Yassine
introducing a course challenging Secular Liberal Capitalism ?
do I even need to introduce that  
an entire party exist in america which stands against Capitalism including the current american president 
Yassine
Yassine
Not really, they shoot you down if you dare.
- We are not the US government! Have you ever visited an Islam isle in a bookstore? About 5% are Islamic, the other 95% are anti-Islamic. LOL!

Yassine
Yassine
-->
@Lunar108
introducing a course challenging Secular Liberal Capitalism ?
do I even need to introduce that  
an entire party exist in america which stands against Capitalism including the current american president 
- That doesn't sound like anything I asked. Since you seem to be a little slow on the uptake, allow me to help. A course which challenges a Secular Liberal Capitalist worldview would be something like, Chinese Communism (from the Chinese perspective of course), or Intelligent Design (from their perspective), or Sharia (from an Islamic perspective of course)...etc. 

Lunar108
Lunar108
-->
@Yassine
you don't understand what Communism  is
Yassine
Yassine
-->
@Lunar108
you don't understand what Communism  is
- I do, but I'm sure you don't. Still, this does not answer my objection. Nice try!

RationalMadman
Debates: 565
RationalMadman
Have you ever visited an Islam aisle in a bookstore? About 5% are Islamic, the other 95% are anti-Islamic. LOL!
In order to avoid discussing where I myself have or have not visited, I will say that I can guarantee you with absolute certainty that in a bookstore in any Islamic nation not one single book in any store is anti-Islam unless it is neutrally against religion and even then it will not make the shelves most likely.