Archived
Read-only
Total: 131
Outplayz
Debates: 0
Outplayz
-->
@drafterman
1. The two users let slip, publicly, that they have this information. In which case the mods have access to that public information to make a decision.
2. The two users are doing something, IRL, against the user, in which case the user should be calling the cops and get Mike involved in a legal capacity. Which doesn't involve the mods at all.
Yeah... i can't see a need for mods to get involved. If it becomes public they can act... if not, they won't and i won't know until some kind of stuff happens. Plus, if the person is dumb enough to let me know... i can take a screen shot. I wouldn't send that screen shot to the mods anyways... i would make sure mike knows to do something or i will legally have to protect myself. 

bsh1
Debates: 14
bsh1
-->
@Outplayz
I certainly don't think mods should be reading PMs willy-nilly. Your suggestion of notifications would put the kibosh on that. However, there may be cases in which a user is aware that they have been doxxed in another's PM (perhaps through a message sent to them or a comment in a hangout). They could then refer the case for investigation to a moderator.

In fact, there was a case recently where a user made such an allegation, one which was not entirely unsubstantiated upon interviewing the involved users. However, ultimately, a decision was made not to proceed as the alleged violation did not constitute doxxing.
Outplayz
Outplayz
-->
@bsh1
Okay... in that case, i guess you would have to look at PMs, but that would be a very rare case. However, i'm starting to think the only person that should be able to do this is Mike. Since it holds legal consequences for him anyways... it would be a serious matter he will have to squash. In the end of the day, if you do this... notifications is a must. I already know mike can enter PMs if he wants... he's site owner. However, i don't know how comfortable i am for mods to have this access too. 
RationalMadman
Debates: 564
RationalMadman
-->
@Outplayz
Mike reads all PMs when and why he pleases.
drafterman
Debates: 6
drafterman
-->
@bsh1
That doesn't make sense. You essentially admit here that doxxing people via PM is bad,
No I don't. I have explicitly said that what happens in a PM isn't doxxing. Don't deliberately misrepresent my argument.

but not as bad as public doxxing.
Private disclosure is less impactful than public disclosure. Disclosure only exists at all if there is a recipient for the information to be disclosed to. Necessarily, the impact of the disclosure is proportional to the amount of recipients. Note: that by digging into people's PMs, you're worsening the problem because then you become aware of that information as well.

Even if I buy that, and it seems like there is a reasonable case for you being right, it seems like doxxing people via PM is still pretty bad because of the potential for real-life problems.
You can't "dox" people via PM.

Certainly it seems bad enough that it should also be banned. Simply saying that it is less awful than public doxxing is not an argument for its being permissible.
Only if you don't believe that the impact of a behavior is a part of how you decide whether it should be permitted or banned or in weighing how the behavior ought to be responded to. Sometimes the response is too costly and you simply accept the risk of allowing that behavior. In this case, giving you unfettered access - and it is unfettered - to everyone's PMs to be investigated simply because someone on the site becomes paranoid is too costly.

Moderation does need it in order to know when it happens and who is doing it. This allows moderation to ban toxic and potentially dangerous users and to create a vigorous deterrent against users engaging in that kind of activity.
When are we getting anonymous reporting back?
drafterman
drafterman
-->
@Polytheist-Witch
You're still welcome.
bsh1
bsh1
in that case, i guess you would have to look at PMs, but that would be a very rare case.
Exactly. This is not something moderation will be doing frequently--it would be a rare occurrence and one that only occurs in extreme cases.

However, i'm starting to think the only person that should be able to do this is Mike
Since it is a moderation issue, I think moderation should be able to do it, or to see screenshots taken by Mike, but Mike's permission and assent should be obtained in any situation where something like this occurs, yes.
bsh1
bsh1
-->
@drafterman
No I don't. I have explicitly said that what happens in a PM isn't doxxing. Don't deliberately misrepresent my argument.
Whether you call it doxxing or not is immaterial to the fact that you admit it was bad. Ergo, you're argument was never misrepresented. Instead, your admission that it is bad underscores the need for moderation to be able to respond to such a problem. Whatever you want to call it is irrelevant to its need to be policed.

Private disclosure is less impactful than public disclosure
As I said, "Even if I buy that, and it seems like there is a reasonable case for you being right, it seems like doxxing people via PM is still pretty bad because of the potential for real-life problems."

When are we getting anonymous reporting back?
Not enough people weighed in. At such time when a clearer consensus emerges against it, I will be happy to reinstate it. But a 5-2 decision is not exactly compelling. This issue, with PMs, is different, however. I think the substantiality of the potential for misuse warrants a presumption against implementation, so I would reject PM access on a 5-2 decision.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
I genuinely do not like this policy one bit. At any time anyone can say they think they're being doxxed by anyone and unleash this. It's that simple.

I get what bsh1 is doing here, it's what the 'control group' (way before they were Illuminati as we know them today) did to the world back in the monarchy periods of history (not ancient egypt even though they like the pharaoh eye). They say 'we rule you against your will but please love us, peasants' and they realised through time it never, ever appeases the masses. You either need democracy through controlled opposition rivalries or you need religion-based dictatorship (Sharia, or government-is-god-communism etc.). Bsh1 is used to democracy in his real country (idk if that's doxxing I thought you made it clear by the US on your profile, if it's doxxing delete this, but everyone knows it) this results in him trying this. Mike is used to Putin's 'honest corruption' so it results in him being totally confused when we cried about reporting not being anonymous and other things etc. 

Mods run identical to the Kaiser of Germany in WW1's regime as well as very similar Russia's original Aristocracy. Research Kaiser meaning and the way the government was structured etc during Germany pre-pre-Hitler (two pre's intentionally). That is how you should employ your regime and run things here, also research Czar tactics of taming the masses but not their policies as that's how they differed to Kaisers.
DebateArt.com
DebateArt.com
-->
@drafterman
Reporting may get back to being anonymous when there is a way to prevent the spam reports, the best idea I've got so far is to add a required field for the report description ( so that it wouldn't be so easy to spam report ) and add a button that would take the user's right to report away if we see some copy pasted descriptions or some other bad behaviour but this way the mods will not know who they've just taken the right away from and it may bring some complications. It's just an idea but give it time and we may come up with something much better than that.

Regarding the PMs, truth be told, I am also not a fan of disclosing them, but bsh1 pointed out some situations where it could possibly make sense and I believe we decided to bring this up on the forum and discuss it and that's what this topic is about. But then you've also provided some good points so it's going to be a hard decision. The best idea I've got is to maybe provide access only in some very serious cases (death threats and whatnot) and limit the access somehow so that the mods wouldn't be able to access it on a whim. But then, I can't come up with decent logic for this request PMs feature...so it's going to take some time and thinking.
Outplayz
Outplayz
-->
@bsh1
Since it is a moderation issue, I think moderation should be able to do it, or to see screenshots taken by Mike, but Mike's permission and assent should be obtained in any situation where something like this occurs, yes.
Like i said earlier, we have no idea what you guys do in the background. Mike can very well give you guys access momentarily and we'll never know. I think this situation should always be up to Mike to handle since it is beyond moderation and can hold legal consequences. He should do everything he can to keep things like that off his site. How he does it we really can't ever know. But getting an okay from this community to allow you guys to enter PMs is asking a little much. Just leave this sort of thing up to Mike. How he handles it is up to him. There shouldn't be any need of a permanent okay from us for you guys to have access. This is a rare occurrence that Mike should handle... and yes, if you guys do get access... it should only be through Mike. I don't think there should be any permanent extra ability to enter PMs. 

drafterman
drafterman
-->
@bsh1
Whether you call it doxxing or not is immaterial to the fact that you admit it was bad. Ergo, you're argument was never misrepresented. Instead, your admission that it is bad underscores the need for moderation to be able to respond to such a problem. Whatever you want to call it is irrelevant to its need to be policed.
I think I've explicitly stated that your presented scenario isn't "a problem." However "bad" it is, it isn't "bad" enough to warrant any sort of action from you or anyone else.

it seems like doxxing people via PM is still pretty bad because of the potential for real-life problems.
You don't ban people for potential behavior. You certainly don't gain access to their private communications because of it.

Not enough people weighed in.
Absolute bullshit. The amount of people that weighed in was enough to rule on other issues.

At such time when a clearer consensus emerges against it, I will be happy to reinstate it. But a 5-2 decision is not exactly compelling.
It's a majority, which you claim is enough here. So stop prevaricating. If there is a minimum number of people, why haven't you stated it?

This issue, with PMs, is different, however. I think the substantiality of the potential for misuse warrants a presumption against implementation, so I would reject PM access on a 5-2 decision.
Except the loss of anonymity of reporting has actual misuse already tied to it. Actuality trumps potentiality.
DebateArt.com
DebateArt.com
-->
@RationalMadman
Mike reads all PMs when and why he pleases.
Yes, I've read all tens of thousands of them -_-

drafterman
drafterman
-->
@DebateArt.com
Reporting may get back to being anonymous when there is a way to prevent the spam reports,
You have that with the 10/day limit. Also, the issue with the spam reports was the work load the mods decided they needed to do in response to them. That, too, has been fixed with the relaxation of the voting standards and the lack of need of mod response for every report. Furthermore, the lack of anonymity didn't stop the spam reporting.

the best idea I've got so far is to add a required field for the report description ( so that it wouldn't be so easy to spam report ) and add a button that would take the user's right to report away if we see some copy pasted descriptions or some other bad behaviour but this way the mods will not know who they've just taken the right away from and it may bring some complications. It's just an idea but give it time and we may come up with something much better than that.
There wasn't a need to take anonymity away then and there certainly isn't one now.

Regarding the PMs, truth be told, I am also not a fan of disclosing them,
Dude. It's YOUR site. They only have the power to do what YOU give them. Put your foot down and say, "No, you can't have that."

but bsh1 pointed out some situations where it could possibly make sense and I believe we decided to bring this up on the forum and discuss it and that's what this topic is about. But then you've also provided some good points so it's going to be a hard decision. The best idea I've got is to maybe provide access only in some very serious cases (death threats and whatnot) and limit the access somehow so that the mods wouldn't be able to access it on a whim. But then, I can't come up with decent logic for this request PMs feature...so it's going to take some time and thinking.
The only person who should be digging into PMs is you and the only people you should be giving them too is the police.
Outplayz
Outplayz
-->
@DebateArt.com
The best idea I've got is to maybe provide access only in some very serious cases (death threats and whatnot) and limit the access somehow so that the mods wouldn't be able to access it on a whim. But then, I can't come up with decent logic for this request PMs feature...so it's going to take some time and thinking.
I think this sort of thing should be up to you to handle when the situation arises. How you do it is up to you. Give momentary access or do it yourself. But there shouldn't be any permanent ability for the mods to enter PMs. There is no need for it. I'm sure you can handle it when the situation arises. 

drafterman
drafterman

RationalMadman
RationalMadman
Drafterman why do you trust Mike to have that access but not bsh1? What the fuck has this faceless guy who came in with the DDO hacker bots do to earn your respect or trust?
drafterman
drafterman
Drafterman why do you trust Mike to have that access but not bsh1? What the fuck has this faceless guy who came in with the DDO hacker bots do to earn your respect or trust?
With respect to Mike, it isn't about trust. We access his servers. He has access to all of the information we put here. That is an inherent concession any user makes when they sign up. His turning over PMs (or any other information) to law enforcement isn't up for discussion. If he is so supoena'd, he doesn't have a choice.

It is less about "trusting" Mike than the fact that that bridge is already crossed and burnt. There is no uncrossing it. I did not, however, give any sort of consent, implicit or otherwise, to let some random person who happens to have Mike's ear have access to that information.

ethang5
Debates: 1
ethang5
So the simple accusation will be enough for a mod to read someone's PM? Does that seem reasonable?

Mike, can you not see what bsh1 is doing? This is becoming like Animal Farm. Wake up man!

I have this question, is there any way to tell if bsh1 has the ability already? If no, then he could already be reading PMs now right?

I'm beginning to see that maybe this site was too good to be true. Something stinks in Denmark. bsh1's desire to have the authority to read PM's has me considering whether I want to stay here.

The guy is bad news Mike. What is going on? It's like you have been mesmerized or something. No, I'm no longer sure Dart is a safe place for me.

This is so obviously wrong, I find it difficult to believe Mike is not the one instigating it. bsh1 is way too power hungry. I've got to go think.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
@drafterman

Then you would also, being the 'suck up to who is in power but fight the second in command' type of guy you are, realise that it's Mike who put bsh1 in the head mod position and blatant that he trusts bsh1 in that position.

I wonder if anyone has yet realised that Mike isn't who he says he is.

Think. Think. But rivalries. But, but, but... No. What if they never did what they appeared to do? What if they stayed?

Broken profile, working mic.

DebateArt.com
DebateArt.com
-->
@drafterman
You have that with the 10/day limit. Also, the issue with the spam reports was the work load the mods decided they needed to do in response to them. That, too, has been fixed with the relaxation of the voting standards and the lack of need of mod response for every report. Furthermore, the lack of anonymity didn't stop the spam reporting.
Fair point, I may need to reconsider the whole thing with the reports again. It didn't stop anything because we initially didn't have the way to take away the right to report. And as I mentioned many times before, I simply didn't think about it when I started showing the list of the reporters in the admin panel, I simply added it as another feature and I had no idea that people thought it was anonymous. But obviously the situation has changed. 

With respect to Mike, it isn't about trust. We access his servers. He has access to all of the information we put here. That is an inherent concession any user makes when they sign up. His turning over PMs (or any other information) to law enforcement isn't up for discussion. If he is so supoena'd, he doesn't have a choice.

It is less about "trusting" Mike than the fact that that bridge is already crossed and burnt. There is no uncrossing it. I did not, however, give any sort of consent, implicit or otherwise, to let some random person who happens to have Mike's ear have access to that information.
If I could, I'd just encrypt the PMs and be done with it so even God himself wouldn't be able to access them, but there is no way (that I can think of off the top of my head) to make it secure. But to be honest, I don't think there are many websites that do that, I imagine even Facebook and other social networks don't. Maybe only some websites where people discuss riots and stuff like that but idk.

DebateArt.com
DebateArt.com
-->
@ethang5
I have this question, is there any way to tell if bsh1 has the ability already? If no, then he could already be reading PMs now right?
Nobody can do that at the moment, even I can't do it because there is no convenient interface to do it in a sane manner.

And I assure you, this is a serious matter which won't be taken easily. 
drafterman
drafterman
-->
@DebateArt.com
But obviously the situation has changed. 
But the status of anonymity hasn't. I really don't understand the "need" for reconsideration here.

1. There was never any "problem" to which de-anonymization was a solution.
2. The "problem", such as it was, has been fixed without relying on de-anonymization.
3. It was even put up for discussion where a supermajority (>= 2/3rds) agreed with reinstating it, but bsh1 arbitrarily decided that not enough total people voted (despite the number of voters being fine to decide other issues) and just ignored it.

What's left to consider?

If I could, I'd just encrypt the PMs and be done with it so even God himself wouldn't be able to access them, but there is no way (that I can think of off the top of my head) to make it secure. But to be honest, I don't think there are many websites that do that, I imagine even Facebook and other social networks don't. Maybe only some websites where people discuss riots and stuff like that but idk.
I like this attitude. But if you feel that strongly about it, why is this even a discussion? Just tell bsh1 "No" he doesn't get this loaded gun to play with?

DebateArt.com
DebateArt.com
-->
@drafterman
Dude. It's YOUR site. They only have the power to do what YOU give them. Put your foot down and say, "No, you can't have that."
Well, I am working in a context foreign for me so I am trying to be thorough. I try to see all the cons and pros before I get into something because it happens rather often when people point out some things that I wouldn't even think about it, if it was simply up to me.

Polytheist-Witch
Debates: 1
Polytheist-Witch
-->
@drafterman
Yes instead of deleting votes he will now randomly read pm's big change. 
drafterman
drafterman
-->
@Polytheist-Witch
What does one have to do with the other? Do you disagree with the new voting standards?
DebateArt.com
DebateArt.com
-->
@drafterman
1. There was never any "problem" to which de-anonymization was a solution.
De-anonymization happened as a mistake, initially I had no intention to do it on purpose, it was done as a feature for the admin panel. But you are right, we're somewhat handled the main issue so we may go back to the anonymous mode as it was, unless we're missing something here. 

I like this attitude. But if you feel that strongly about it, why is this even a discussion? Just tell bsh1 "No" he doesn't get this loaded gun to play with?
Because I am trying to collect as many points of view as possible and see as much of the picture as possible. Also please note, that I am working in a context where I don't know what people are used to, so it always makes sense for me to bring those issues up and see what people say.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@DebateArt.com
Anonymous reporting is absolutely stupid. A highly successful reporter should get their reports handled faster and you should gamble that they will give accurate reports more readily if pressed for time. A poorly accurate reporter, especially if high volume and rate needs to have a violation that you should add to CoC called report spam that can disallow them to report for a period of time until they learn. If they keep at it, a site ban should be in order no joke.
DebateArt.com
DebateArt.com
-->
@David
@bsh1
@drafterman
So @drafterman pointed out that we may no longer need the reports to be open ( as in, not anonymous ) and I am thinking if we should indeed roll it back. What do you think? I wonder if I am missing something here?

Also, I wanted to point out that I am thinking about implementing one more limitation for the reports, and to be precise, I want to limit people that can report things only to those that have actually created those things that they are trying to report. For example, in order to be able to report forum posts, the user would need to have at least, let's say, 100 of them. Same for the debates, comments and votes but with different numbers. This would prevent new users from reporting things. Any idea on that?
David
Debates: 92
David
-->
@DebateArt.com
What I'd like to see is something where you have to select a reason for the report and then write a comment on why you believe the post should be moderated. 

Same thing with votes. WHen a vote is reported state why the vote should be removed.

I'd also be open to limiting 5-10 reports per day