A little background on Airmax and why he is the perfect face for the future of DART

Author: Lunatic

Total: 29
Lunatic
Debates: 3
Lunatic
I know there are a lot of members of DART who are not entirely familiar with the user Airmax. Airmax has only played in a few games of mafia here, and hasn't been fully engaged on the site yet so he is definitely a new face to some of you.

But airmax has leadership experience on a Debating platform for literally 10+ years. The site that this site was inspired from (many of the current user base are veterans from it) is Debate.org. Debate.org was a fantastic website until the owners of the website (Juggle) became too inactive to remove the spam that was constantly flooding the forums, and most people moved elsewhere. For years, Airmax was the sole person deleting the spam in every forum. There were literally hundreds of spam bots posting every day. Keep in mind airmax was not being paid to do any of this, and hadn't heard from the site owners in a long time, he still kept the site alive by dumping hours of his personal time into deleting spam to keep our community alive as long as possible. 

I first joined debate.org when it was still debate.com, (roughly 2009) and the site was always thriving with activity. Around 2012, when Debate.org first held a presidential election (originally the role was designed to give moderator privileges and act as a role to communicate with developers, similar to what the role is here) airmax ran for president. He became the acting mod of the website and remains in that role to this day. Debate.org had one of the most active vibrant communites, and while occasionally some moderation action was taken, airmax's laissez-faire modding style was ultimately favored by the community. 

Now one thing I can personally attest to about airmax, and this is what I love about him, is that he will always respond to you intelligently, and logically explain any decision he makes. There was times when I had confronted him about taking action, or lack of action. There was never a time where airmax failed to address my concerns and properly explain an action. I never felt like airmax was doing something for the sake of doing it while he was a moderator. There was always reasons for his actions and he would explain them well. And this isn't a dig at current moderators, but there has been times when I have approached them with issues to either have them eventually stop responding, or the conclusion be "this is just the way it is".

Airmax does not roll that way. He deeply cares about the community, even people who are adverse to his decisions. I know this because I was a pain in his side for a long time. You can see this by the way he interacts with RM as well. It's not an act. It's no secret RM hates airmax and will use any method to dig at him. Even when he did it on Debate.org, airmax never responded less professionally than he did to RM in his campaign thread. This is just who airmax is at his core. He is a deeply caring person, who loves the community and everyone in it. He won't encourage ruthless bans to our moderators.

In fact all of our current moderators know him from Debate.org and have very good repor with him. There is no world I can see in which airmax is not able to help guide their actions through his wisdom and experience. Out of every political candidate here, airmax has the best ability to reach and communicate with our mod team. Whiteflame served as Chief vote mod for airmax on Debate.org, and ragnar was a long time friend of Airmax's as well on DDO. Supa also is extremely familiar with Airmax, both on DDO and in live mafia games that we used to frequently hold.

So now that we have established that Airmax has history doing this role, and doing a very good job at his role, I will explain why he is needed now more than ever.

Airmax cared about DDO so much that he was willing to purchase the website from them and start a gofundme in order to support the website and make it thrive. With airmax as president I can see many old debaters returning to the site, many who are aware of DART but do not wish to come here for various reasons, many having to do with over moderation. Airmax can bring this site to life. Hell I will help bring it to life, so will mikal if there is hope that moderation can return to the way it was on DDO. Airmax is that hope. I fully believe that he will put a lot of his free time into making this site alive. I won't say "revive" because this site has never been a pinnacle of activity. But with moderation reform I can see this site easily becoming as active as DDO was if not more active.

We have an amazing site developer in Mike, and active moderators. The site in some ways is better than DDO was functionally. We just need to reform the TOS and moderators ideas on how to enforce them. Airmax can make that happen.

Vote airmax in this election. He is the websites best hope at a lively and thriving community. He is what I base all moderation standards off of in any online community because he served in his role so well. We are priveleged to have him volunteer his time to do this for the website.

Intelligence_06
Debates: 167
Intelligence_06
Wasn't Airmax a mod back in DDO?
Lunatic
Lunatic
-->
@Intelligence_06
Wasn't Airmax a mod back in DDO?
He certainly was
RationalMadman
Debates: 564
RationalMadman
Airmax had only 90 posts here (still has barely more) when running for President.

He has not cared about the website the past 3.5 years of its existence, he's here with power as his goal. It's very blatant.
Mikal
Debates: 0
Mikal
To be fair most of the active people on DDO are not on this site for a variety of reasons (most stemming from issues with prior mod choices). You yourself have experienced it. The reason people are not active is because there is no content on this site. There is good drama, and bad drama and you need both to keep people invested into the site. The most active times in DDO is when people had a reason to argue and debate each other and go at each others throats. It was an outlet. Think of it like attitude era wwe vs modern day wwe. If you want a site to be active and people to care about it, mods can't strangle open discussion or moderate every fight that happens to the point people aren't invested in anything. 

The way a site thrives is you let the community run itself until major lines are crossed. Max knows these lines better than any member on this site past or present. 
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Mikal
Max knows these lines better than any member on this site past or present. 
Baseless appeal to authority.

From what I recall, he banned every single prominent cause of drama on the website, where he had nuance was picking and choosing who was temp vs permabanned.

Though, in the Religion Forums he left it to rot.
Mikal
Mikal
that is just factually wrong lol
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Mikal
Well, you are welcome to bring up the drama that occurred and we can analyse how often it resulted in him being heavy-handed.
Mikal
Mikal
Name times he was heavy handed because you are going to have a much harder time with it. I would be naming countless

I know imas bans were typically less than a week
mine were like 3 days
yyw the one time he got banned was like 3 days
wylted was hardly ever banned even when he constantly made controversial topics 
Born of God was allowed to be around for years until he was an actual liability for his own health

the major bans were people like askbob, or malcomx, who were literally doxing and going beyond this that occurred on the site.  You would have a much harder time finding cases were he was to harsh
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Mikal
Okay, I can think of other examples like writerdave and that q-guy (I forgot the usename) who was an antitheist contantly debating against it, even voting biased based on it. Airmax permad him from the get-go because everyone agreed he was annoying.

Airmax is a skilled mod, I don't deny it. He is skilled at keeping the most popular and prominent members of a community satisfied by only caring what they think. This is how he's always worked. Wylted was popular despite his severe views and other stuff I won't mention.
Mikal
Mikal
-->
@airmax1227
I can let max respond himself, and clarify each situation. I'm sure he will be able to as I don't know any of those people
ResurgetExFavilla
ResurgetExFavilla
-->
@Mikal
To be fair most of the active people on DDO are not on this site for a variety of reasons (most stemming from issues with prior mod choices).
Every time I come back to this site I go through my friends list and look for who was banned. I found one today that really highlights what's idiotic about the 'hate speech' rule:

"things like the MAOA gene (warrior gene) and lower self-control ability of Blacks will represent this heritability in functional/genetic form."
Blatant declaration that black people are violent and unrestrained by nature.
An entire thread dedicated to accusing Nigerian Africans of being intrinsically racist due to, ironically, the color of their skin.
One highlight: "Racial quotas should be immediately implemented to force Blacks out of political power, and instead make sure there is sufficient Asian, Jewish and Middle Eastern representation in Nigeria. Every race's voice needs to be heard except for Blacks because they are racist and oppress the other racial minorities in Nigeria."
Intended as satire or not, the thread was not obviously presented as such, nor does it change the fact that the majority of the OP’s forum activity teeters on the brink of outright racism.
These were given as reasons for being banned. The second was painfully obvious satire; this mod would have banned Jonathan Swift in a jiffy. The first is a discussion of a specific biological racial disparity, something which I had received previous assurances wouldn't be banned, as I listed a bunch of prior controversial discussion topics that were allowed on DDO. Apparently not. Will I get banned for mentioning the evolutionary history behind sickle cell anemia? How about the earlier onset of puberty among people of African descent, or higher levels of fast twitch muscle fiber? The way the mods talk about this rule it's just there to stop people from calling black users monkeys or screaming the n-word at them, and you're silly for thinking it would be misapplied, but how is this not an example of that?
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@ResurgetExFavilla
I agree with you, Mesmer should be banned but not for those 2 particular threads (first is borderline though).
Wylted
Debates: 34
Wylted
I can say I was drastically more controversial on DDO and recieved zero bans, because often max would just message me and help me determine where the lines were. I think I have like 7 bans under the mods. I don't count whiteflame as part of the group responsible for that, but the bans were excessive and beyond a personal level because they were so widespread, pretty detrimental to Dart as a whole. 

I have some issues with how airmax handled a few things, but there are few people if any that could have done his job better than him
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
I can say I was drastically more controversial on DDO and recieved zero bans, because often max would just message me and help me determine where the lines were.
I want this. I want mods to communicate much more and rehabilitate users instead of silently waiting to ban them after a while.
Wylted
Debates: 34
Wylted
I'm happy we agree on that point
Vader
Debates: 30
Vader
-->
@RationalMadman
That is something I hope to do as well
Vader
Vader
What RM said is one of they key issue I had with the Virt/David administration
Vader
Vader
-->
@ResurgetExFavilla
We modified said rule so that in the future, the Mesmer ban would not happen again. 
Dr.Franklin
Debates: 32
Dr.Franklin
as long as he sticks arounds, sure
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Dr.Franklin
What a solid way to base your vote.
Dr.Franklin
Debates: 32
Dr.Franklin
-->
@RationalMadman
what do you have to offer?
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Dr.Franklin
as long as he sticks arounds, sure
This is a guarantee with me, you can even begin to compare our consistency in activity and sticking around.

I offer you literally everything Airmax can and more. There is nothing Airmax can guarantee you, he's only here to serve his old buddies and their agenda. It's why he's so vague, it's how he's always been on DDO and now.

If he gets into power and you get banned, he wouldn't give a single damn about you, to him you didn't even really help him become President, you just rode an anti-RM wave and his 'buddies' in the clique he serves will have you at their mercy.

If I am in power and you get banned, I will absolutely defend you if anything about the ban is fallacious and use my veto to push proper debate to occur over your ban and press for more.

A scenario Wylted offered me was this:

Are you capable of proving your ability to use discretion.  The ability to use discretion is important to a working relationship.  Let's say you earn whiteflames trust and he starts leaning heavy on you as an advocate for users he interacts with less than you. 

A lot of those conversations may be very private and ugly facts about users could come out that was only the privy of mods. Say whiteflame concludes a particular case of harassment is not harassment and the user should go unpunished. You guys fight hard over it and he basically says "fuck you, not banning the harasser " . Your only two options are

1. Drop your argument and let the harasser get away with it

Or

2. Air your personal grievances with whiteflame publicly and break his trust and ruin the relationship necessary for a working relationship.

Will you and can you be trusted to take option 1.

I know I have the ability to maintain that relationship with whiteflame and have previously proven it as I have interacted with him a lot off site and we have both told each other personal things, and both of us have seen each other never betray that trust.  Can whiteflame trust you like he trusts me, so a working relationship is possible?
and I guarantee you that Airmax would pick option 1 in a heartbeat.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Dr.Franklin
 you can even begin to compare our consistency in activity and sticking around.
can't even begin

not can even
RationalMadman
RationalMadman

Here we see the real nature and agenda of the Airmax crew show! I can't believe it only took a day. 

Airmaxfan2000
Airmaxfan2000
-->
@RationalMadman
Wow, I cant believe the Airmax would stoop to that level, using blatant propaganda techniques to mislead the less aware among us. Frankly I'm depressed and ashamed.
airmax1227
airmax1227
-->
@RationalMadman

Okay, I can think of other examples like writerdave and that q-guy
I'm not sure what you are referring to regarding WriterDave. The WriterDave incident, an event which involved members bullying him to some degree in one of the more unfortunate threads DDO has probably ever seen, happened before the first time I was elected, and certainly before I was a moderator. In fact, the only involvement I ever had with that whole thing was messaging WriterDave to offer my support to him during a time that was clearly difficult for him. I basically encouraged him to ignore those that were being jerks and not take it seriously. I believe he left the site voluntarily shortly after that. In any case, he wasn't banned and this was before I had an authority to do anything.

The other member, Qopel is whom you are referring, was an incident that I believe happened in my first month of becoming moderator. This is like 10 years ago, so forgive me if my memory isn't exact on this, but I believe he felt like like he was losing debates unfairly, and he therefore began votebombing tons of debates. This was at a time where votebombing was essentially the cardinal sin of DDO, and something moderation couldn't do anything about. Seeing that he was going to continue to votebomb debates, I closed his account. Now, a good thing actually manifested from that unfortunate event however as I lobbied Juggle to allow me to add and remove voting privileges from accounts. This meant votebombers could simply be made unable to vote, and it also had the, perhaps even greater effect, of allowing me to give new members voting privileges (I just told them to do a certain number of debates and get back to me), when I believe that once required a phone number confirmation process. So while this was when I was very new, and I have learned a lot since then, this wasn't some ridiculous ban, and it ended up leading to something positive. I want to reiterate that while the ban was justified, I wanted to make sure that in the future such a ban would no longer be necessary, and that was accomplished.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@airmax1227
As President, your role is to stop the mods abusing their power, how are you better than me for that job?
Lunatic
Lunatic
bump