Total: 45
badger
Debates: 0
badger
Curious. Never seen the question asked.
Lunatic
Debates: 3
Lunatic
As a sophmore in debate class circa 2008, I was researching a topic for a lincoln douglas debate tournament in my high scool library. Funnily enough I remember the exact topic. "Resolved: Vigilantism is justified when the government has failed to enforce the law.."

That was my first debate tournament and I won a novice trophy from it. Considering pretty much all of my research and arguments came from sources and debate from DDO, I have always kind of attributed DDO as helping me win my first  tournament. Just kind of stuck around after that, eventually found I enjoyed the community aspects, and ultimately stuck around majorly for mafia.

zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@badger
Unmoderated,

And operationally,

Fraught with glitches.

Vote 3RU7AL.

badger
badger
-->
@Lunatic
Are you older than me or am I older than you? 2008 seems early. 

I'm fairly positive I googled "online debate site". I'd been having arguments in the youtube comments section like a fucking weirdo. 

I was an outdoorsy, townie kinda kid. Got expelled from school first time around. This might sound hard to believe, but I remember learning that "I've" was a contraction of "I have" on DDO. Like 19 years old probably. And I'd been writing it "I'v" until I did. 

I grew so much as a person on DDO. I never really debated or anything, was always more about broad strokes I guess, but I found books, movies, animes, ideas. Not sure I would be the same person today otherwise. 
badger
badger
-->
@zedvictor4
Yeah but how did you find it? Actual answer. 
badger
badger
I guess you don't see "I've" written in Harry Potter books or whatever I read at school. I was next to illiterate arriving on DDO. 
Lunatic
Lunatic
Are you older than me or am I older than you? 2008 seems early.
Not sure. I am only 29. 

https://www.debate.org/badger/ Looks like your account started in 2011, huh I thought you were around before me on DDO. Did you have another account before that one?

I'm fairly positive I googled "online debate site". I'd been having arguments in the youtube comments section like a fucking weirdo. 

I was an outdoorsy, townie kinda kid. Got expelled from school first time around. This might sound hard to believe, but I remember learning that "I've" was a contraction of "I have" on DDO. Like 19 years old probably. And I'd been writing it "I'v" until I did. 

I grew so much as a person on DDO. I never really debated or anything, was always more about broad strokes I guess, but I found books, movies, animes, ideas. Not sure I would be the same person today otherwise. 

It's cool to see and hear that a website like that brought in people who didn't even have an outside interest in debate. 
badger
badger
-->
@Lunatic
Yeah I had two weed-centric accounts before that. Got banhammered by Phil for comparing him to Hitler in some debate comments section. All in good fun. 
badger
badger
It's cool to see and hear that a website like that brought in people who didn't even have an outside interest in debate. 

The whole world of people likes to argue. Sites like this will get those people too. 
badger
badger
Posted by Danielle 11 years ago

You won't live til 25 I bet :p

Joke's on her. 

Lunatic
Lunatic
-->
@badger
Posted by Danielle 11 years ago

You won't live til 25 I bet :p

Joke's on her. 

Lol I wish the search function on that site worked. Would be nice to reminisce 
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@badger
How did I find it, as in where did I first come across it, when I was looking for a debating site to partake of.

As in web-search debating sites and ta dah as if by magic DDO, sort of thing.

There was also Debate Island too.

DART is currently the best.

Hopefully that won't change.

I recently tried another site and that was appallingly un-user friendly.

Name eludes me.
thett3
Debates: 2
thett3
-->
@badger
Was in debate class in high school and the girl I liked was much better than I was, so I joined to practice over the summer in the hopes of impressing her with my newfound skills when we came back to school. Yes, I seriously thought that would work lol 
Earth
Debates: 4
Earth
-->
@thett3
Did you get better than her?
Lunatic
Lunatic
-->
@Earth
No, no, no. Your asking the wrong question. The real question is: "Did he get the girl?"
thett3
thett3
-->
@Earth
@Lunatic

No, no, no. Your asking the wrong question. The real question is: "Did he get the girl?"
The answer to both is: no!  
Lunatic
Lunatic
-->
@thett3
The answer to both is: no!  
XD
whiteflame
Debates: 27
whiteflame
I joined in 2013 largely because I was looking to debate and didn't have many opportunities to do so IRL. I'd debated in undergrad and had spent some time judging at tournaments during my Master's, so this was shortly after I'd joined my PhD program. The school had a semi-active debate program, but as my focus had largely shifted to coaching by that point, I didn't have much opportunity to debate myself. I had actually been looking for a good debate site for quite a while before DDO, though everything I found was either a very poor substitute or didn't have enough activity to make much of an impact.
Wylted
Debates: 34
Wylted
-->
@zedvictor4
Unmoderated,

And operationally,

Fraught with glitches.

That period occurred after DDO, died due to the site owners

Castin
Castin
-->
@badger
I was just looking for a good debate site and DDO was the first google hit.

Scratch that: I was heroically fighting two dark wizards in a magic duel on a pirate ship when one of the wizards imprisoned my soul in cyber space and I wound up on DDO, and had to think my way out with only my wits. The dark wizards' names were Grumblystoke and Arturius, and the pirate ship was called Cruel Mercy. This is now my official story.
RationalMadman
Debates: 571
RationalMadman
I think I had accidentally found DDO a couple times before I 'found' it as I was an avid debate-loving guy growing up and probably read a couple DDO debates prior to joining (though back then it wasn't like the biggest, there were other websites with better material to arm you with pro-con on a topic). However, I only joined a website like DDO later on when I, like Castin and Zedvictor4, actively searched for a debate-oriented website/forum.
Mikal
Mikal
Mafia 
Mikal
Mikal
-->
@thett3
Same one that gave you a blowie on the airplane ?
sui_generis
sui_generis
googled for some political topic seeking balanced takes from both sides and found DDO's opinions section. ended up joining to respond to what I saw as stupidity at the time =]

Vader
Debates: 30
Vader
-->
@badger
Used to do debate and it was useful to help with my skills. My school really destroyed my interest in debating in person due to the piss poor management and the lack of other debate types. It was strictly policy and congressional. I did policy and hated every ounce of it. Wish I could've done congressional and I think I would've enjoyed it more.

I stuck around for the community
ILikePie5
ILikePie5
I joined in 2015 to debate people on why Trump is better over Hillary
Vader
Debates: 30
Vader
-->
@ILikePie5
Now you only have 1 debate
ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@Vader
Now you only have 1 debate
Yup. I don’t have the time to debate these days. The one debate i did on here was during the snow storm in Texas when everything was closed lol
warren42
warren42
-->
@Lunatic
I also found it researching for high school debate, funny!

I think it was a PF topic about humanitarian vs military aid for the Sahel region of Africa
Lunatic
Lunatic
-->
@warren42
I also found it researching for high school debate, funny!

I think it was a PF topic about humanitarian vs military aid for the Sahel region of Africa

Yeah a lot of people on DDO were high schoolers researching haha