Immigration

Author: Danielle

Total: 73
thett3
Debates: 2
thett3
-->
@Danielle

It wasn't that long. There were about ~40 years with little immigration during the infancy of our country between 1790-1830; the immigrant population actually exploded decades before the Civil War largely in part to the Irish potato famine. However even though the influx of immigration changed over time, my point is that this country has seen a significant amount of immigration since its inception. Yes there was a temporary lull between the 1920s and 1960s, but that was 60 years ago. What are you - like 30 years old? There have been 30+ million immigrants that came here since you were born with the last two decades bringing more immigrants than ever before. So for you to say you "like the way things are" just seems weird since the number of immigrants doubled over the span of your life. The way things are = diversity.  And going back to a previous topic, a lot of immigrants tend to be (at least socially) conservative which would seem to increase the chances of preserving the cultural elements you value. You probably have more values and political views in common with a Mexican immigrant than a native Californian. 

That's true, this has been happening my entire life. But it didn't hit everywhere at the same time. The community I grew up in changed a lot over the course of my life due to immigration. And to be perfectly honest, I simply did like it much better before.  Why wouldn't I? It went from a place where almost everyone shared my culture to a place where most people did not, and I felt like an outsider. Who wants to feel like that? The elementary school I went to is now an "immersion" kids, and the (minority) of white kids there receive instruction in Spanish. I mean come on, my native language isn't even the language of instruction anymore and I'm supposed to feel nothing? I don't know. I don't think that's a natural or a healthy way to view your society. And I question how much I should have to justify simply having a preference. I think multi cultural spaces are good, necessary, and important but I question the wisdom of insisting that everywhere has to be that way.

For the highlighted bit I actually think you could be right, it might actually come back to bite liberals in the end. Hispanics really do seem to be assimilating to working class white culture (and Asians assimilate incredibly quickly to upper middle class liberal culture but there are far fewer of them.) So many Hispanics live in California and New York that I don't know if they will ever be a right leaning group over all but I could see Mexicans in Texas and Arizona being kind of like Cubans in Miami. 

But we all agree there are limitations. What about the people who want to ban guns? Should we get to vote on slavery? What if we can prove it's in the economic  interest of the country ?  As I said elsewhere, we can't divorce individual rights from the immigration debate. Even if you don't think immigrants qualify for rights per se, what about the Americans who want to hire a foreign worker or sell their house to someone born in another country? Conservatives claim to be the ones who prioritize individual rights whereas leftists tend to be skeptical of private property. I am not. The rejection of immigration rights and the shrugging off of institutionalized bigotry and free trade is far more dismissive of private property rights than anything I believe. 
Well, this is getting into what's possible vs. what's possible in the current system. In the current system, we do have a centralized government that makes the vast  majority of policy decisions for 350 million people, many of whom have basically zero to do with one another. So yeah I want my positions to win since I have to live under whoever wins. But in principle I support the original idea that states were, well, STATES, that were essentially a part of an economic and military union like the EU. So in that system yes states should be allowed to ban guns. Slavery is a different issue because it's an issue of rights. Slavery totally upended Christian ethics a millennia in the making and the consequences still negatively impact the descendants of everyone who was around for that time to this day. I wouldn't want to be in a union with a state that still practices slavery. 

Immigration wouldn't be an issue if state governments could dictate their own policies, if New York wants to be a multi cultural area and Iowa doesn't good for both of them as far as I'm concerned

They make the journey because they live dangerous, depressing, dead-end lives and want the opportunity for a better one. That's why all immigrants that aren't slaves come here. That's why your ancestors came here.  It's interesting how you've chosen to frame and justify the policies that exclude some. I suspect it comes from your intuitive understanding that what they endure is tragic and unjust which brings up some cognitive dissonance. As I was saying to Pie, this is why it's so hard for me to take the anti-choice position seriously as a moral argument from the same group re: abortion. It is inconceivable that conservatives are "horrified" by the death of a human being that isn't conscious, while accepting the death of actual children essentially as collateral damage for unnecessary policies. 

I don't agree that that specific death was caused by anything other than the perception of open borders. But setting that aside, abortion is a weird issue because it's a fundamental conflict of values. For me, seeing a thing that has a heart beat, looks exactly like a little baby, and moves around, I simply can't think of that as anything other than a baby. It's hard to imagine that people can think of it as anything else. But they just...do. And I don't think they're ever going to see it any other way. Also I think abortion is such an emotional issue because of Roe v. Wade, I mean whatever your position on abortion I think it was incredibly inappropriate for SCOTUS to legislate from the bench. 

As far as my ancestors go, they weren't immigrants, they were settlers, who came long before the revolution. Or conquerors if you want to put it that way. Their presence here was absolutely not a benefit to the population that was here before, I assure you. I do have some more recent ancestors on my moms side, but quite frankly I wouldn't have let them in either. I'm sure they were nice people and I mean no disrespect to my ancestors but knowing their circumstances and their alien culture I don't see how they could possibly have been a benefit to the country at the time

It depends. Historically it's been avoided by  immigrants not going for  the same jobs and/or natives shifting to other (often higher paying) jobs. This was the same argument that was used to keep women out of the workforce by the way, but wages of both men and women increased as more women entered the workforce. There are several reasons for that we can discuss if you would like to and I'll admit there are plenty of variables. The main thing to consider with immigration or working women is that it boosts labor demand, not just labor supply. When women went to work, they made money to spend. It increased demand for childcare, domestic services, dining outside the home, etc. Immigrants don't just come here to work. They consume.  
Elizabeth Warren wrote an excellent book about women entering the workforce called The Two Income Trap. And she argued, quite convincingly imo, that the entrance of women into the workforce was accompanied by a rise in marginal expenses and necessary goods like housing and education went up enough to immediately gobble up the entire benefit and some, leaving families worse off. Have wages really increased in terms of buying power? Boomers could buy a house after a few years in the workforce and pay for college with a summer job.  I think the official inflation statistics are masked by the constant improvement of technology making lots of goods cheaper, sure TV's are much much cheaper than in 1980 but the staples to have a middle class life (house, car, and now college education) have skyrocketed and left people worse off. 

I think economists make the issue a lot more complicated than it is, when supply goes down price goes up and it really is that simple. After the black death, wages and working conditions went way up for the surviving peasants because there were fewer of them left. 

That is what happened in the late 1960s after the end of the bracero guest worker visa program. In other words, restricting immigration did not raise the wages of low-skilled native workers; the work was automated instead. Another thing that happened was that low-skilled workers shifted industries which arguably grew the economy in other areas. 
Would that be such a bad thing? Those jobs are going to be automated eventually anyway, and what then for the class of people relying upon them?

It's disheartening that  I'm the only person here to outright refute the idiotic idea that "immigrants don't assimilate." They do and their children definitely do.  
Oh assimilation absolutely happens. But it happens both ways. You bring in millions of people from a different culture, eventually the two groups become indistinguishable but the original group also moves in the direction of the immigrant group, and emerges a changed culture. This is why the idea that immigration doesn't result in massive cultural change is just ridiculous, it has to. This can also be good or bad depending on the culture in question, but I don't think most people are ready to have that discussion. Mexicans are awesome, but do I want my culture to move in the direction of Afghan culture? Uhh, not really no. 
Danielle
Debates: 3
Danielle
-->
@Wylted
Now you're shifting goal posts. You said it was fine that Pie's parents and other people came because they did it legally. Yet rather than legalize (expedite) all immigration for safe people, suddenly legalization is no longer a good enough standard. Funny how that works.

If you don't want to accept immigrants than stop lying to yourself and everyone else about how it must be done "legally" when really you just don't want immigrants to come at all. Looks like I won that bet against Greyparrot. Nobody on this site ever honors their bets though. 

And lol I don't feel bad for you and other white people that are too intimidated to go into stores where people don't speak English. Grow a pair. Nothing's going to happen to you by engaging except for maybe getting to experience something new or different. I'm glad you enjoy their food. Spread the word and help them grow their business. 
Danielle
Danielle
-->
@thett3
I appreciate you expanding on that. I also roll my eyes at the "fuck white people" thing, but to be fair you should consider why urban liberals tend to only disparage certain whites. I don't really think it has to do with class at all because most are blue collar/middle class themselves. I think it specifically has to do with the culture wars regarding positions on race, LGBT issues and immigration among others. That's  why politicians have focused on those wedge issues over the years. 

I forget the exact statistic but it's something like 180 different languages spoken by kids or their parents in NYC public schools. Now I can definitely see how that's problematic (and may save that for my next post) but the takeaway is that multiculturalism is something we're used to. And not only used to, but appreciate. It's a selling point here to be in a neighborhood where there's diversity indicated by restaurants of all kinds. 

Having so many different people breeds tolerance of tolerant people. There are so many different types of people in big cities that nobody can really be bothered to hate or focus on one particular group (Hasidic Jews are a bit of an outlier in that they exclude themselves from society). I think being surrounded by different people has been a huge factor in acceptance of gay people. Even if one's personal beliefs or culture was staunchly against homosexuality, it's like who can be bothered to care or try to control that when there is so much else going on around you? You just kind of blend in and worry about your own self. There are so many different types of people that it barely resonates. You get used to it. So urban liberals have a hard time understanding why it's so hard to be tolerant. I think outside of the economic or structural problem with mass immigration, the mindset is simply "get over it and figure it out." There is definitely a toughness and mental fortitude that people living outside cities have in a lot of ways that make us city folk seem very delicate, but I think this is one of a few areas (along with "street smarts") where urban people just seem more resilient and xenophobes come off as fragile and weak. 

Anyway, I wanted to note that I seriously do understand where you're coming from and will not dismiss your personal experience as irrelevant to the discussion at all. I guess what I'm trying to point out is that it doesn't affect everyone that way and that's why there is a "hatred" of the people who act like it's a big deal. For instance Wylted just said that white people are "not welcome" or something in foreign businesses. That is definitely NOT true. Those businesses are probably desperate for natives to go in. Non Spanish speakers might be uncomfortable because they don't know the language, but it's like bro grow a pair of balls and figure out how to order your quesadilla. I know it might be annoying, but is that annoyance justification for sentencing swarms of people to shitty lives and accepting the tragedies that come with immigration bans? Is it really justifiable for people to be dying in deserts and rafts because someone doesn't feel comfortable mispronouncing their Chinese food order? 

I'll get to the other responses later (I like these conversational posts) but wanted to interject another random ass point. Have you ever seen the show Yellowstone? Great show - I'm all aboard the bandwagon and highly recommend it if you don't watch. But the main character is a rancher in Montana whose ultimate goal is to keep his land, even rejecting hundreds of millions of dollars to do so. He would literally fight to the death for it. Everyone keeps trying to take it because it's right next to Yellowstone National Park i.e. very valuable real estate.  He describes himself as anti-progress and "the wall that [progress] bashes against." The audience is wholly sympathetic to his cause and roots for his family despite being arguably horrific people, and knowing that Montana would benefit financially from said expansion. It's funny because the characters are always complaining about transplants from NY or CA, or people with second homes there in the country, and all of us people watching from here are like "yeah fuck those people!" even though we're all secretly hoping to buy a second home in Montana lol. The preservation of "the American way of life" is very much a cornerstone of the show and I totally understand it. But in contrast to these characters that the audience is rooting for is the Native Americans who are trying to get their land back (by purchasing it). They are a parallel reminder that people's land gets "stolen," things change. That's been the American way of life since the beginning. You're not going to stop "progress." You can lament and reject and kick and scream, but the country's landscape has continuously evolved and likely always will due to greed and other things. 

I'm forgetting the point I was going to make  so I'll just plug another show. If you like historical fiction you might like 1883, the prequel to Yellowstone. It's essentially a show about the Oregon trail and the dangerous journey taken by (mostly) immigrants to settle the west.  I think these shows do a good job of framing the values of people outside cities that help us see what they're so desperate to protect and preserve. 

I'll respond to the rest later ~ thanks again for responding to that question. 

Wylted
Debates: 34
Wylted
-->
@Danielle
Now you're shifting goal posts. You said it was fine that Pie's parents and other people came because they did it legally. Yet rather than legalize (expedite) all immigration for safe people, suddenly legalization is no longer a good enough standard. Funny how that works.
Pie's parents are wealthy entrepreneurs who contribute a lot to the economy. You are talking about legalizing it for everyone whether their presence improves America or not. This shouldn't be a hard concept to grasp.

If you don't want to accept immigrants than stop lying to yourself and everyone else about how it must be done "legally" 
Straw man. I told you how I would curb illegal immigration, which is mostly about cracking down on employers. I also think we should have lots of immigration.  What you are asking for though is barely a step down from open borders. You are okay destroying the country because open borders in your mind is the ethical thing. Forget the nuances where I explained open borders is bad for both America and the countries people are immigrating out of. 

And lol I don't feel bad for you and other white people that are too intimidated to go into stores where people don't speak English. Grow a pair. Nothing's going to happen to you by engaging except for maybe getting to experience something new or different. I'm glad you enjoy their food. Spread the word and help them grow their business
I'm not sure where your hatred for white people comes from. You said immigrants assimilate into society. I pointedbout how they actually don't, pointing out I live in Florida and there are entire cities where whites are unwelcome. You won't see a single city where Hispanics are not welcome by contrast. 

There is also jo fear in going to Hispanic owned businesses. The ones I go to want me there. A lot I would be unwelcome at, because they want to segregate themselves. 
Wylted
Wylted
Danielle, if you are ever in Florida, let me take you to some places of business to see if I can gage your comfort level. I won't white knight either. Whatever happens happens. One rule, we'll have to walk in separately so nobody thinks we are together 
Danielle
Danielle
-->
@Wylted
Immigrants are more like to be entrepreneurs than natives whether they are wealthy or not. Statistical analyses confirmed that a high willingness to take risks contribute significantly to that fact, even after controlling for other variables.

Many people that are highly educated or skilled in other countries actually come here and are forced to take shit jobs, or open small shops despite their work experience because they have been relegated to those roles in society. Language barriers are a big factor; so is discrimination.  

But if your position is that "only people who are rich  and skilled" can come here, then (I repeat) stop reiterating your concern for LEGAL immigration. It's not the LEGALITY you're concerned about. You just admitted your primary concern is whether or not someone is "worthy" of coming here based on their contributions to society. You don't think it should be LEGAL for them to come here unless they meet certain qualifications. Say that then. Say "I don't think it should be legal for immigrants to come" instead of "waaah just come here legally" which obviously you don't give a shit about. 

It's amusing that you think it's so simple to determine who would "improve America"  too.  All the people who rely on immigrant labor, i.e. not just business owners who "exploit" them, but everyday people who benefit from their work certainly acknowledge  that so-called low skill immigrants are improving America. They babysit our kids, they clean our houses, they mow our lawns, they cook our food, they rent our houses, they pay taxes and otherwise contribute significantly without necessarily being rich or entrepreneurial. Note that we are currently experiencing a labor shortage where we can't even fill all the open jobs despite how many immigrants we have. And wages are going up. 

Cracking down on employers is a good way to curb some illegal immigration, but that would never be embraced by the populous. So many people use immigrant labor it wouldn't fly for long. Ten percent of the NYC labor force  = undocumented immigrants. I don't think you realize how significant of a role immigrants play in the economy. That's not your fault though; it is extremely complex.

I do not support necessarily allowing in every single person who wants to immigrate right away; I've noted concerns with infrastructure like five times  now. I think you just want to see me as an "enemy" on this issue and not really digest what points I am trying to make. You think I want to destroy the country lol so I doubt you are open minded to even consider what I am saying. 

Perhaps I would be more open to accepting all (safe) immigrants if we could control where in the US they settle, but that seems problematic and the exact opposite of what supporters of open borders believe. The whole premise of their position is valuing the free movement of goods and people without interference. I understand the moral argument there and quite frankly the economics one as well. It's been years since I've deep dived into the analysis, but iirc it's been proven several times over that open borders achieves the best economic outcomes by far. I still don't support it though. I only suggested that we allow everyone in to highlight that your issue isn't the LEGALITY of immigration. I repeat: you don't want it to be legal for most people to come here. 

Once again it is concerning that you equate Americans with whites. You've done it several times now so at this point it's clear that you are not misspeaking and you are legitimately a racist. Not all Americans are white, Wylted. I know that's hard for you and Mitch McConnell to understand but those be the facts. And telling "white people" a.k.a. people who only speak English in this country to grow a pair of balls because they're such pussies they are afraid of going into a foreigner's business does not exhibit any hatred for white people on my part. It's pointing out that those particular white people sound like pansy ass little bitches who want to use the law to exclude people from opportunities and a better, safer life just because they might feel embarrassed they don't know how to pronounce their food order when entering. White people in engage with foreigners all the time and have no issues. If you can't understand them, use Google translate. It's really not hard. Have you ever left the country Wylted? It doesn't sound like it. I've been in many places where I didn't speak a word of the language and came from a completely different culture but I survived and lived to tell the tale. I even enjoyed myself. I do understand the utility and value of wanting to preserve English though, etc. I just think it's really funny that because a few neighborhoods have a lot of foreigners that you feel you are being discriminated against lol. 

Since arriving on U.S. soil white people have used their power to create preferential access to survival rights and resources (housing, education, jobs, voting, citizenship, food, health, legal protection, etc.) for other white people while simultaneously impeding people of color’s access to these same rights and resources. Now you think that because you feel "unwelcome" in some areas that we're all supposed to feel sorry for you or ignore the totality and history of the immigrant experience. ANYONE would feel uncomfortable being a minority or not understanding a language or what have you, but that doesn't mean it's justifiable to exclude immigrants. Once again someone's jealousy or resentment or [insert feeling here] does not reveal the morality or utility of a position. Just because some people are uncomfortable by gays doesn't mean gay marriage should be illegal. Just because some people are uncomfortable by standing out in a crowd doesn't mean the crowd should be legally expelled. 

I think if you truly believe that my goal is to destroy America and shame or put down white people that this is a pointless conversation. There's only like 2 people on this website I like to engage with for that reason. People can have different ideas and perspectives and not be terrible people or totally off base. Believe it or not you don't know a lot more than you do know and that goes for all of us. But I maintain it is terrible that you keep equating Americans with whites lol you should stop doing that. 
Wylted
Wylted
-->
@Danielle
Note that we are currently experiencing a labor shortage where we can't even fill all the open jobs despite how many immigrants we have. And wages are going up. 
I wonder how your cognitive dissonance works this out in your head. A labor shortage caused by a lack of immigrants is resulting in increased wages for American citizens. 

So your thoughts are this

"Derp, corporations are having to treat people nicely, wahh,  this is unfair let's import immigrants so they can abuse and underpayment them"

You are either an evil capitalist or too stupid to see your own cognitive dissonance here
Wylted
Wylted
White people in engage with foreigners all the time and have no issues
I speak Spanish fluently dumb ass. As well as German. 
Wylted
Wylted
I told you I managed restaurants in Florida. Clearly I don't need Google translate
ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@Danielle
Pie's parents are immigrants and he has Trump as his profile picture. 
95% of my friends have both parents that are immigrants but they’re liberals
ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@Wylted
I speak Spanish fluently dumb ass. As well as German. 
Mexican Spanish, Cuban Spanish, Colombian Spanish, or Venezuelan Spanish?
Wylted
Wylted
-->
@ILikePie5
At first it was Guatemalan Spanish, because I learned from Guatemalans. Then I realized that Mexicans do not understand me, or Spanish. I realize the Guatemalan Spanish is just an odd dialect. Then I just learned the style popular in Spain, just because the resources tonlearn it are easier. I speak it with Mexicans so there is a blending of styles there. 
16kadams
Debates: 0
16kadams
Proud LatinX in favor of closing the door behind me