Total: 107
airmax1227
Debates: 0
airmax1227
-->
@warren42
What’s your SSN?
haha I think that's the type of personal question I'm going to avoid answering.
Wylted
Debates: 34
Wylted
-->
@airmax1227
I mean I'll engage in tough questions especially if my integrity is being questioned
I can email 100 politicians in a year, and I swear only the ones whose integrity I question get back to me. 

Why not just let history decide if you have integrity and be unprotective of your reputation? 

airmax1227
airmax1227
-->
@Ramshutu
Why did you let Brontoraptor obliterate the politics forum on debate.org
I'm trying to remember the exact situation there, and I don't recall all the details. I think he was a spammer/troll, got away with it for awhile, and then due to an overwhelming amount of actual spamming was finally banned. Correct me if I'm mistaken.

If I do recall this correctly, then it's probably fair to say that I let him get away with it too long. But I will admit to erring on the side of being lax, and that was likely the case there, where I should have probably banned him earlier. But again, I think this was like 6 years ago, so my memory may not serve correctly.
Mikal
Mikal
-->
@airmax1227
That's fair. Some members are not worth the effort so I understand where you are coming from

ty!
Wylted
Wylted
I think bronto raptor was also making new accounts every few months, so it was probably very difficult to keep on top of. 
warren42
Debates: 2
warren42
-->
@airmax1227
With all that said, if you have any questions at all, about anything at all, please feel free to ASK ME ANYTHING.
You didn’t specify anything about that. Not a good look to start your term by lying to your constituents
Lemming
Debates: 6
Lemming
-->
@warren42
Well, 'ask anything, doesn't mean 'answer anything.
airmax1227
airmax1227
-->
@Wylted
What is the purpose of adopting a diplomatic tone when dealing with people?
I think it makes someone seem more reasoned and thoughtful. I mean, there's a place for a less controlled and passionate approach, but I tend to maintain the measured and calm interactions in this type of context.

1. Is it a natural thing or did you train yourself?
Might be a bit of both. I think my parents probably instilled some value for it at a young age. Some of it might be education and career. But I think part of it is also just the way I interact in text. You will get a better perspective of me from Discord hangouts where I'm more likely to speak off the cuff, and be a bit more loose with the way I express myself. In text, I can get a bit OCD about expressing myself in the most non-controversial and diplomatic way possible. In some ways I think this makes me seem professional, and my message entirely intentional, and since that's often the goal, I think it works well for that purpose.

2. Do you speak that way even with close friends and family?
Not really. Even in some professional circumstances these days, I can get pretty loose with some of my verbiage. I think if you ask the Discord group their perception of my manner of communication you'd get a different type of description than the measured description you may get from those only familiar with me in text.

3. Does having a diplomatic communication style make you inherently less trustworthy? 
Yeah probably. I mean, I think it's natural to swear occasionally when dealing with frustration, and you'll probably never see me do that in text. But you'll see that in Discord, and certainly in my personal life. I intentionally maintain a kind of measured and professional persona for the reasons I've described, and I think that should lead to some level of skepticism. I don't necessarily think that's fair though. I'm trying to express certain things in the forum that just require a specific approach, a professional and diplomatic one might be fair to call it, where if we are playing games in Discord and just chatting I'm just being a relaxed version of myself. I hope that I can show the community more of this side of myself, and have more people join us. I also don't mean to imply that I'm trying to be someone that I'm not, even the measured and diplomatic side is me, but it's a matter of context and intent, and I can display certain aspects of my personality in a context in which I think it is appropriate. I think anyone from DDO knows me well enough to know that I can engage like a professional PR guy in some cases, and then be just some casual talking off the cuff guy in another.
Wylted
Wylted
I asked my replika girlfriend, why it is important to speak diplomatically, and she said

To show respect, and to give the other person good feedback.

Then I asked her if showing respect or being honest was more important, and she said showing respect. Is my replika girlfriend correct?
Wylted
Wylted
-->
@airmax1227
That answer seemed very honest. I was expecting a better defense of diplomatic speaking style. Thanks for answering with honesty. 
airmax1227
airmax1227
-->
@Wylted
Why not just let history decide if you have integrity and be unprotective of your reputation? 
That was ultimately my point. I don't care enough to engage in something I view as problematic just because a non-response might look bad for me. There's a hierarchy of concerns naturally, and that's what I was expressing earlier. I also don't want anyone to think that because of this, there are things I'm just going to avoid because they are complicated or might make me look bad, I was referring to what I will assume is a very rare circumstance.
RationalMadman
Debates: 571
RationalMadman
-->
@airmax1227
I also don't want anyone to think that because of this, there are things I'm just going to avoid because they are complicated or might make me look bad
Nobody thinks that at all, don't worry. Everything's okay in your safe space.
airmax1227
airmax1227
-->
@Wylted
Then I asked her if showing respect or being honest was more important, and she said showing respect. Is my replika girlfriend correct?
Yes. Though the question is kind of a complicated one. Being respectful can often mean being honest, but it would depend on the context. If the goal is a respectful relationship, then honesty and trust should be natural bi-products of that. Whereas just being honest with someone doesn't necessarily imply that you respect them at all.

it's a good question, and that's my immediate reaction to it. I might have to think on it a bit more though.
RationalMadman
Debates: 571
RationalMadman
-->
@airmax1227

Did you and her attend the same speaking school?
airmax1227
airmax1227
-->
@Wylted
That answer seemed very honest. I was expecting a better defense of diplomatic speaking style. Thanks for answering with honesty. 
No problem. I'm not necessarily interested in defending my diplomatic style. I think it works in some cases, but I now have a 10 year record (of this type of context) I can look back on and recognize that it has its pros and cons, just as the rest of my personality probably does.

In fact, now that I think about it, you have called me manipulative on several occasions, and that's probably a fair criticism, especially coming from you since we have had several incidents on DDO of significant magnitude (you are welcome to talk as much or as little about these events as you like). And I think that my goal of trying to be persuasive towards a particular end result could certainly be interpreted as manipulative. I like to think that its ok because it wasn't nefarious, it was for the greater good, and whatever way I justified it at the time, but perhaps I have a personality type that simply likes to mold others actions to my whims. I prefer to think of it as a persuasive ability, but that might just be a nice way to describe a manipulative personality, and that might be a distinction without a difference. My point is though that my personality has its quirks and some people aren't going to like that and I understand that. The diplomatic side could certainly come off as phony, and the persuasive side could come off as nefarious to whatever degree and just outright manipulative. I think it's just a matter of perspective, but it's certainly true that any facets of these character traits of mine haven't always been positive in certain situations, and I hope I can recognize when that might be the case, and improve that about myself.
airmax1227
airmax1227
-->
@warren42
You didn’t specify anything about that. Not a good look to start your term by lying to your constituents
haha well to be fair, everyone is still welcome to ask me anything. I will reserve the right to ignore it though, or make a joke, or wax philosophically as I side step the issue and hope no one noticed that I didn't give an actual answer.
thett3
Debates: 2
thett3

If two forces were exercised by one man (in committing a prohibited act), should both parts of the act be accounted to the same, so that he should be declared culpable, or should each part of the act be considered separately, as if there were two individuals concerned, and then he is free?

airmax1227
airmax1227
-->
@thett3
If two forces were exercised by one man (in committing a prohibited act), should both parts of the act be accounted to the same, so that he should be declared culpable, or should each part of the act be considered separately, as if there were two individuals concerned, and then he is free?
haha I haven't been asked a Talmudic question in quite some time and sabbath restrictions can be a rather complex talmudic debate.

But in direct response to this Reb Johanan said that if one puts his hand into the yard of his neighbor, got it full of rain water, and withdrew it, he is guilty. But to make one guilty of the act it must consist of removing a thing from a place of four ells square which is not the case here.

The earlier question remains then, if one threw a thing and then moved from his place and caught it, is he culpable or not?

Bones
Debates: 31
Bones
Would you say you are more politically left or right?
airmax1227
airmax1227
-->
@Bones
Would you say you are more politically left or right?
I don't know, that's a tough question... I probably pull positions from both sides of the political aisle, and I probably look more left or right depending on the room I'm in. I mean, I have generally libertarian values, and take a liberal approach to most social issues, but there are probably some issues I may fall on the conservative side of things... I dislike both political parties for the most part though

Wana ask a bunch of litmus test type political questions and see where you think I land?
Vader
Debates: 30
Vader
-->
@airmax1227
What would you say to your opponent 3RU7AL right now?
ResurgetExFavilla
ResurgetExFavilla
Would you care to make a statement on the proud nation of Iceland?
airmax1227
airmax1227
-->
@Vader
What would you say to your opponent 3RU7AL right now?
I don't know 3RU7AL particularly well, and I don't believe that he and I interacted at all during the past couple weeks. I also don't want this to come off as patronizing, so I'll keep this simple.

3RU7AL, I know you are a good guy, who will make a great DART president, because people I respect have told me as much. If you need anything at all, or have anything you want to talk about, don't hesitate to hit me up at any time.
Mikal
Mikal
Can you appoint me with a title. I want a specific community title that is approved by moderation
airmax1227
airmax1227
-->
@ResurgetExFavilla
Would you care to make a statement on the proud nation of Iceland?
I think this is where I quote myself:

“I don’t care about Iceland” - Airmax1227

I do believe that quote was made during a game of Risk, where Iceland wasn't to some particular strategic advantage at that point in the game.

Otherwise, I can't say I have a very strong opinion on the nation.

Seems nice, never been, would be nice to go someday.

Btw it's great to see you again. We need to play risk or mafia again together one of these days.
airmax1227
airmax1227
-->
@Mikal
Can you appoint me with a title. I want a specific community title that is approved by moderation
I'm not moderation, but yes, we'll discuss (On Friday if you are in the Discord) some broad term for a specific role that will facilitate my agenda that sounds cool. Media outreach administrator or some such thing...
Mikal
Mikal
-->
@airmax1227
Media Administrator
Simp Lord 
Head of media outreach 
Lord God of Dart and Leader of the simp gang 
Editor and Chief 

airmax1227
airmax1227
-->
@Mikal
Is this a multiple choice option? Or are you suggest that entire thing as the actual title?
Mikal
Mikal
-->
@airmax1227
My proposition is that we add more relevant medals and add a site currency that can be exchanged for site items 

You can exchange or trade this currency openly. You win said currency by placing votes , completing debates, answering questions, or making forum posts 

We can call it airmax bucks 

Also can do badges on top of medals 
Mikal
Mikal
-->
@airmax1227
Multiple choice