Fight Club gets a new ending in China - and the authorities win

Author: RationalMadman

Total: 34
RationalMadman
Debates: 565
RationalMadman
You may think I am kidding and that this is satire...

YOU CAN'T MAKE THIS SHIT UP.
Intelligence_06
Debates: 167
Intelligence_06
I am no expert but didn't this movie end in the late 1990s?
oromagi
Debates: 117
oromagi
-->
@RationalMadman
Unsurprising.  How can a well-ordered totalitarian state permit a narrative where the terrorists win?

But keep in mind this is progress in one sense.  It's not like the Chinese have been watching Fight Club for twenty years and now changed the ending.  No.  The movie has been entirely banned since its original release and is now available to the Chinese for the first time.

The list of movies and tv shows banned in China is truly mind-boggling.

Back to the Future is banned because it is illegal to tell stories depicting time travel in China.

Babe is banned because it illegal to depict talking animals in China.

Pirates of the Caribbean is banned because it is illegal to depict ghosts in China.

Chinese authorities are constantly, relentlessly controlling Chinese thought by banning and altering media.  The Chinese govt. permitted the recent Friends reunion show to be released after removing all references to Lady Gaga, Justin Bieber, and BTS who are all, of course, banned in China.

In news that cannot  be considered  progress, this week, an all-Republican Kentucky school board banned the Pulitzer-Prize winning graphic novel Maus for depicting the Holocaust as something that happened.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@oromagi
The actual ending of Fight Club

SPOILER ALERT

Is that the war has just begun, nobody's won yet. There was supposed to be a Fight Club 2, based on the ending.
oromagi
oromagi
-->
@Intelligence_06
I am no expert but didn't this movie end in the late 1990s?

Do you feel free to talk about censorship in China? If you choose to not respond I understand.
Intelligence_06
Intelligence_06
Pirates of the Caribbean is banned because it is illegal to depict ghosts in China.
I am no expert on law but who did you see for whatever this is. This is a movie with a lot of fanbase. Ghost-depicting local works(such as old-school horror stories) are not banned and excerpts are included on the textbook.

Zootopia is not banned.

I think by "banned" they just means they can't air it on official platforms. Movie theatres can't air banned movies and TV channels can't air banned shows. As of what I have seen, those "banned shows" have achieved actually a huge fanbase because the government does not care about unofficial platforms like Bilibili. The government don't actually care so much about it, they merely released enough restrictions to convey the message of  "I don't like this".

Wylted
Debates: 34
Wylted
-->
@oromagi
Do you feel free to talk about censorship in China? If you choose to not respond I understand.
Don't put him in that position man. I have seen videos snuck out of China,  of the methods they use on civilians for questioning authority. 
Wylted
Wylted
I didn't even think those methods of torture existed. I have seen American troops get beheaded, and it was less disturbing than what China does to it's citizens
Intelligence_06
Intelligence_06
-->
@Wylted
Well, I am pretty comfortable speaking about this. It isn't even illegal to watch so-called "banned shows" here, it is just that it might be taken down and TV channels can't air them. People make videos about those series all the time and it is legal to do so, you just can't watch it on popular platforms because they got taken down. You get no penalties for watching it, they just don't give it to you. However, by restricting any official display of some shows, they have made such fandoms smaller than they relatively are in the west, and they are just less popular.

Wylted
Wylted
-->
@Intelligence_06
Just 10 minutes ago, I watched a Chinese cop put a guy in some odd hand restraints and beat him, interrogating him on why he criticized the police. Would you like a link to the video?
Wylted
Wylted
-->
@Intelligence_06
Here is a man being tortured for a joke on a private messaging app.

Get the fuck out of that country mate. 
Dr.Franklin
Debates: 32
Dr.Franklin
-->
@RationalMadman
That is because China is in control of their respective entertainment industries
oromagi
oromagi
-->
@Intelligence_06

I am no expert on law but who did you see for whatever this is.

"The intricacies of getting a film approved by the China Film Bureau, an executive branch of the country’s Communist government, are largely unknown to Western audiences. Sometimes it can take months or years to secure a release; many major films have run afoul of unforeseen diplomatic pressures. In 2008, The Dark Knight’s planned rollout in China was cancelled because of “cultural sensitivities” (likely to do with scenes set in Hong Kong involving a money-laundering character), which significantly hampered the film’s worldwide box-office take. ....The Film Bureau objects to films with distinctly spiritual content, because they “promote cults or superstition” in violation of the Communist Party’s secular principles—a major problem for a movie chock-full of ghosts.

There are, apparently, ways around the “no ghosts!” rule. One easy way is to explain that the people seeing visions of the dead were crazy, perhaps, or on drugs. The second Pirates of the Caribbean film, Dead Man’s Chest, was banned in China because it had spirits swarming around, but Disney accordingly made cuts to the Chinese version of the series’ third film, At World’s End, to make it acceptable."

Oct 22, 2015

"Chow Yun-Fat’s depiction of Captain Sao Feng as a villainous murderer ensured that Pirates of the Caribbean: At World’s End, like many blockbusters and almost all James Bond movies, was almost not granted a release in China. [Oro: In fact, 10 minutes were excised by Chinese censors before release].  However, the next film in the series, 2011’s belated sequel On Stranger Tides, didn’t center on China at all and still managed to earn the ire of the films’ censorship board, with the Pirates of the Caribbean installment almost being denied a release. Unlike the third film’s ban (and a lot of blockbuster censorship), this was not actually due to a political issue. The Chinese censors didn’t care for On Stranger Tides' plot frequently referencing ghosts, the occult, and the afterlife, something would later contribute to numerous high-profile flops like R.I.P.D and Ghostbusters."

Mar 17, 2021

This is a movie with a lot of fanbase.
I do not doubt it.  Few things improve a work of art's reputation so well as government censorship.

Ghost-depicting local works(such as old-school horror stories) are not banned and excerpts are included on the textbook.
Chinese laws prohibiting the advocacy of superstition in film go back to the first Chinese Film Censorship Law of Nov. 1930

The 24th Session of the 12th Standing Committee of the National People's Congress passed the most recent  PRC Film Industry Promotion Law, effective March 1, 2017.  Article 16 of that law stipulates that films must not contain content "inciting the undermining of national religious policy, advocating cults or superstitions."

On June 30 of the same year the China Netcasting Services Association issued a new set of guidelines controlling on all forms of audiovisual web content, including films.  These guidelines prohibit the websites of the association's 600+ members (includinge CCTV, Phoenix Television, Hunan Television, Dragon Television, Jiangsu Television, Zhejiang Television, Tencent, Youku, IQiyi, Sohu, etc.) from displaying many things, including "Feudalistic ideology which is pseudoscience: spirit possession, reincarnation, witchcraft, etc."

Zootopia is not banned.
True.  Disney works very hard to appease the Chinese Govt.  Zootopia was, however, strongly condemned by the People's Liberation Army.

“Chinese audiences should be aware of bias and distortions, even when watching animated films geared for children like the box-office hit Zootopia. In a world of cruel reality, it is always a wolf that eats a sheep instead of the other way around. Such a fundamental concept that even a child could understand was turned around by Hollywood.  Hollywood has long been an effective propaganda machine for the US by using blockbuster films to promote US values and global strategy.”

I think by "banned" they just means they can't air it on official platforms. Movie theatres can't air banned movies and TV channels can't air banned shows.
What a shame.

As of what I have seen, those "banned shows" have achieved actually a huge fanbase because the government does not care about unofficial platforms like Bilibili. The government don't actually care so much about it, they merely released enough restrictions to convey the message of  "I don't like this".
What a shame.

Please note, if any of my research is actually contradicted by your reporting, I will naturally defer to the first-hand testimony of a fellow DARTist as preferable to any second-hand media source.  Thanks for your detailed response, Intel!

bmdrocks21
Debates: 6
bmdrocks21
-->
@oromagi
In news that cannot  be considered  progress, this week, an all-Republican Kentucky school board banned the Pulitzer-Prize winning graphic novel Maus for depicting the Holocaust as something that happened.
It was a Tennessee school, and it was "due to concerns about profanity and an image of female nudity" and "its depiction of violence and suicide"

And they've asked that a new book be found to teach the Holocaust in a more age-appropriate manner
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
oromagi
oromagi
-->
@bmdrocks21
"due to concerns about profanity and an image of female nudity" and "its depiction of violence and suicide"
The bible has female nudity practically on page 1.  Paul sometimes uses the Greek obscenity translating as "shit" in his writings- so profanity.  Lots and lots and lots of violence: there's babies getting their brains smashed out with rocks, for fuck's sake- and it's a good thing for the protagonists of the story, it's victory.   And yes, there's suicides.   Jesus arguably committed a kind of suicide-by-cop,  albeit for a good cause.  Certainly Judas hung himself- that's suicide.

If profanity, female nudity, violence and suicide are the standards for school censorship aren't you compelled by the necessity of equal treatment under the law to ban the bible from your schools?

And they've asked that a new book be found to teach the Holocaust in a more age-appropriate manner
oh, yeah?  And will this new book be the first and only graphic novel to ever win the god-damned Pulitzer Prize for Literature thirty years ago?  No, I guess it wouldn't be, would it?  Doesn't really make whatever you come up with much of a replacement, does it?

There is no way to describe the Holocaust  without describing  female nudity and profanity and violence and suicide.  It was one the nastiest outbreaks of all that shit to ever happen in human history.  There is not some age appropriate way to talk about what the Nazis did to  tens of millions of humans- theft, slavery, rape, starvation humiliation and extinction.  To whitewash history is to lie to your children, although I agree there should be an appropriate age to hear this story.  Let's agree the Bible has more nudity, violence, and suicide than is depicted in Maus.  Certainly, if they are old enough to read to the Bible, they can handle the milder stuff in Maus.
bmdrocks21
bmdrocks21
-->
@oromagi
If profanity, female nudity, violence and suicide are the standards for school censorship aren't you compelled by the necessity of equal treatment under the law to ban the bible from your schools?
Two issues with that analogy: first, as far as I could see, the book was just removed from the eighth grade language arts curriculum (meaning kids aren’t forced to read it to graduate). I don’t believe any public school has the Bible as a mandatory book to read.

Second, even if it was a ban, there would be different standards because of the free exercise of religion issues. Banning the Koran, Talmud, or Bible is a bit different than banning a graphic novel about a genocide.

oh, yeah?  And will this new book be the first and only graphic novel to ever win the god-damned Pulitzer Prize for Literature thirty years ago?  No, I guess it wouldn't be, would it?  Doesn't really make whatever you come up with much of a replacement, does it?
I don’t see why this single book has to be the one way of learning about a European genocide. Simply having a Pulitzer Prize means that it is likely well-written and not necessarily that it is the most instructive book on the matter. Indeed, I doubt a graphic novel depicting it with cats and mice would be the best way of imparting knowledge.

There is no way to describe the Holocaust  without describing  female nudity and profanity and violence and suicide.  It was one the nastiest outbreaks of all that shit to ever happen in human history.  There is not some age appropriate way to talk about what the Nazis did to  tens of millions of humans- theft, slavery, rape, starvation humiliation and extinction.  To whitewash history is to lie to your children, although I agree there should be an appropriate age to hear this story.  Let's agree the Bible has more nudity, violence, and suicide than is depicted in Maus.  Certainly, if they are old enough to read to the Bible, they can handle the milder stuff in Maus.
From my understanding, the book is illustrated, while the Bible generally isn’t. So there is the difference between showing suicidal depictions and nudity than writing “Eve had no clothes” or “Judas hanged himself from a tree”
Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
-->
@bmdrocks21
Lol, and educators should be using graphic novels like playboy to teach sex-ed too when teaching 12 year olds. If everything is age-appropriate, then nothing is.
Intelligence_06
Intelligence_06
-->
@Wylted
Don't you get it? It was an inconsiderate spread of false and malicious messages. The police had done nothing wrong and while this may seem a little harsh, the man held at interrogation is mostly at fault.

Or unless you just hate rules and want to be an anarchist. 
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Intelligence_06
chat shit get hit

China's new national motto
Intelligence_06
Intelligence_06
-->
@RationalMadman
If you have never been here don't try to exaggerate China. If anything, the US media deceives people and filters out the negative things for you.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Intelligence_06
You literally defended cops beating the shit out of a man for posting something.
Wylted
Wylted
-->
@Intelligence_06
Don't you get it? It was an inconsiderate spread of false and malicious messages. The police had done nothing wrong and while this may seem a little harsh, the man held at interrogation is mostly at fault.
He joked about how stupid a cop looked on a bike. So that is untrue. Since we can't objectively determine what is false, we shouldn't cops with biased views on whether information about police is false, they certainly shouldn't be deciding whether information is false or not. We also can't be concerned about whether something is malicious or not, because we can't know the intent of the speaker. 

Or unless you just hate rules and want to be an anarchist. 
False dichotomy. I advocate for just rules.

Why is the Chinese government God to you?

Right now everyone who is not Chinese on this forum can name 3 negative things about their country and advocate for change. 

Prove you are not a slave and name 3 very bad things about your government?

I will start

1. America should stop being world police
2. Biden has dementia
3. Smoking crack should be legal

We grow the Chinese government is not a perfect God. If you are a slave and can't freely talk, because the government will snatch you up and punish you, I can respect that. I already know you won't say 3 negative things. 

However if you are going to sit her  and shill for an oppressive regime, you need to fuck off, especially if you can't be honest while shilling. 

Prior to this I encouraged you to leave. Now I want you to stay until you can free your mind . Stay in your shithole, until you deserve freedom, and I pray what happened to Jack MA doesn't happen to you in the mean time

Wylted
Wylted
-->
@Intelligence_06
I just watched a video of a black woman who could not eat at a restaurant in China with her Chinese family. She sat outside like a dog. I am not talking about outdoor dining. A recent basketball star was filmed leaving a bus in China and having crowds shout at him "go home nigger" repeatedly.

I met a woman who worked with the Chinese police to follow anybody leaving her city to make sure they did not report any of the negative police activities to the federal government. That was her sole job. 

Our media does not report the negative things in China. Most of American media kisses the aaa of the Chinese. We only know about these negative things, because freedom of speech allows otherwise unknown journalists the opportunity to get the information to us. 

When Donald Trump was talking about a special trade tax on China, the entire media and political establishment banded together I. Defense of China. 

The tennis star peng shchue, when she was kidnapped by Chinese police and threatened for reporting a rape by a government official. The media here believed obvious bullshit claims about her being safe, with obviously staged videos looking like they were just random reporters running into her in public, and her apology letter open with the curser still going, showing it was edited by the government.  

We see the Chinese police in plain uniform around her when she is in public. We see how they control her movements and how scared she looks. Our media bought the bullshit. 

Our media is also hiding negative shit about your government.  Or at least afraid to talk. It is independent small media, exposing things. 

Your government is oppressive and cruel. It is one thing for you to stay silent, because the government will hurt you, but you should not be schilling. 
Wylted
Wylted
Wylted
Wylted
Wake up
bmdrocks21
bmdrocks21
-->
@Greyparrot
Lol, and educators should be using graphic novels like playboy to teach sex-ed too when teaching 12 year olds. If everything is age-appropriate, then nothing is.
I’d probably support that more than their current curriculum 😅

Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@bmdrocks21
Didn't a bunch of infotainment celebrities win Pulitzer "prizes" for spreading now debunked Russian disinformation?

Seems like the award is a mark of a liar and a fraud.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@bmdrocks21
Look up this guy lol! he was a "Pulitzer" monkey as well.

Seems like if you work for Russia, you get a Prize.
bmdrocks21
bmdrocks21
-->
@Greyparrot
Didn't a bunch of infotainment celebrities win Pulitzer "prizes" for spreading now debunked Russian disinformation?

I was going to say that the Pulitzer means nothing, but the book did get it thirty years ago. I gave it the benefit of the doubt that the prize wasn't run by clown world enthusiasts at the time.