Whoopi Goldberg is right about the holocaust

Author: Incel-chud

Total: 121
FLRW
Debates: 0
FLRW

Again, Whoopi was wrong. Race as a categorizing term referring to human beings was first used in the English language in the late 16th century. Until the 18th century it had a generalized meaning similar to other classifying terms such as typesort, or kind. Occasional literature of Shakespeare’s time referred to a “race of saints” or “a race of bishops.” By the 18th century, race was widely used for sorting and ranking the peoples in the English colonies—Europeans who saw themselves as free people, Amerindians who had been conquered, and Africans who were being brought in as slave labour—and this usage continues today.
The peoples conquered and enslaved were physically different from western and northern Europeans, but such differences were not the sole cause for the construction of racial categories. The English had a long history of separating themselves from others and treating foreigners, such as the Irish, as alien “others.” By the 17th century their policies and practices in Ireland had led to an image of the Irish as “savages” who were incapable of being civilized. Proposals to conquer the Irish, take over their lands, and use them as forced labor failed largely because of Irish resistance. It was then that many Englishmen turned to the idea of colonizing the New World. Their attitudes toward the Irish set precedents for how they were to treat the New World Indians and, later, Africans
Tarik
Debates: 1
Tarik
-->
@Reece101
You didn’t answer my question why you don’t consider antisemitism racist. 
Yes I did, your the one that insists on going in circles (hence why I ignored more than half your post because I’m tired of repeating myself).
Reece101
Reece101
-->
@Tarik
Is antisemitism racism? Yes or no. You may have changed your view. 

Your original position:
2. doesn’t it make perfect sense to say antisemitism falls under racism? 
No, because Jewish is a religion not a race, that’s like calling Antichrist people racist, the two are non sequiturs. Even if you wanted to argue from a Jewish bloodline perspective that doesn’t negate the fact that race is still a non sequitur, maybe that more falls under the lines of for lack of a better term xenophobia (don’t quote me on that one), it’s important to know the differences between race, ethnicity, and nationality.

cristo71
cristo71
-->
@thett3
I probably cannot speak for why others see Goldberg’s words as problematic, but I can say why I do:

1. Goldberg was very authoritative and strident in her words— on a subject she is in no position to be authoritative about, even by your own admission

2. Goldberg brings up racism fairly frequently. So, when she carves out an exception to racism here, it strikes me as disingenuous and self-serving— as if Jews don’t deserve the same identity based victimization sympathy as people of color such as herself do

3. I’m pretty certain Goldberg is pro: more stringent penalties for “hate crimes.” Here, it seems like she is saying that the Nazis were certainly guilty of crimes, just that it didn’t rise to the level of hate crimes— hatred based upon immutable or identity based characteristics.
Incel-chud
Debates: 6
Incel-chud
-->
@cristo71
I didn't want to bring it up, but there is evidence her mom was both red pilled and based. Her name was not originally Goldberg, but her mom told her to change it, because a Jewish last name would help her in Hollywood
Tarik
Tarik
-->
@cristo71
strident in her words
Can you be a little more specific, what did she say EXACTLY?

carves out an exception to racism
Highlighting the common denominator between Hitler and the Jews he killed isn’t carving out anything it’s correcting the misconception that those Jews were separate from whites.

3. I’m pretty certain Goldberg is pro: more stringent penalties for “hate crimes.” Here, it seems like she is saying that the Nazis were certainly guilty of crimes, just that it didn’t rise to the level of hate crimes— hatred based upon immutable or identity based characteristics.
I didn’t catch that from the clip I seen, are you talking about the discussion on The View or an extended version of this subject elsewhere?

cristo71
cristo71
-->
@Tarik
If you have seen the clip, why do you need me to recite what she said “EXACTLY”?

The Jews in Germany were indeed separated… from non Jewish whites. It was hatred based upon identity. Regarding that, there is no misconception.

Tarik
Tarik
-->
@cristo71
If you have seen the clip, why do you need me to recite what she said “EXACTLY”?
Because I don’t recall anything strident, that’s why.

The Jews in Germany were indeed separated… from non Jewish whites.
But those Jews in Germany were white as well irrespective of their religion, that was her point.

It was hatred based upon identity.
True, but there’s many non race related identities FYI. Gender, sexuality, and in this case religion are all different identities distinct from race.
cristo71
cristo71
-->
@Tarik
If “strident” troubles you too much, substitute “overconfident.” Point being, she doesn’t have the knowledge of the subject to pontificate as confidently as she did.

In this case, “race” is just a catch-all for ethnicity and group identity. The point is the same— Jews were hated, scapegoated, and genocided based upon group identity.

If you feel the need to convince me otherwise, feel free to make Ms. Goldberg’s case to me for her.
Tarik
Tarik
-->
@cristo71
Point being, she doesn’t have the knowledge of the subject to pontificate as confidently as she did.
She had more then the others that deemed Jewish as a race separate from white.

In this case, “race” is just a catch-all for ethnicity and group identity.
Except it’s not (Ms. Goldberg’s point all along) maybe YOU don’t have the knowledge to pontificate on this subject.

The point is the same— Jews were hated, scapegoated, and genocided based upon group identity.
Which no one denied, perhaps you should rewatch the clip especially when she discussed inhumanity in her diatribe.

Reece101
Reece101
-->
@cristo71
Tarik:
Again, Whoopi was wrong. Race as a categorizing term referring to human beings was first used in the English language in the late 16th century. Until the 18th century it had a generalized meaning similar to other classifying terms such as typesort, or kind. Occasional literature of Shakespeare’s time referred to a “race of saints” or “a race of bishops.” By the 18th century, race was widely used for sorting and ranking the peoples in the English colonies—Europeans who saw themselves as free people, Amerindians who had been conquered, and Africans who were being brought in as slave labour—and this usage continues today.
The peoples conquered and enslaved were physically different from western and northern Europeans, but such differences were not the sole cause for the construction of racial categories. The English had a long history of separating themselves from others and treating foreigners, such as the Irish, as alien “others.” By the 17th century their policies and practices in Ireland had led to an image of the Irish as “savages” who were incapable of being civilized. Proposals to conquer the Irish, take over their lands, and use them as forced labor failed largely because of Irish resistance. It was then that many Englishmen turned to the idea of colonizing the New World. Their attitudes toward the Irish set precedents for how they were to treat the New World Indians and, later, Africans
Tarik’s reply to you: 
In this case, “race” is just a catch-all for ethnicity and group identity. The point is the same— Jews were hated, scapegoated, and genocided based upon group identity.
Except it’s not (Ms. Goldberg’s point all along) maybe YOU don’t have the knowledge to pontificate on this subject.
Tarik’s all over the place. Whoopi has no substantive point to perpetuate. I don’t know why Terik’s trying. 
cristo71
cristo71
-->
@Reece101
I agree that Goldberg doesn’t have a substantive point. She’s actually not adding any meaningful info to the discussion (“man’s inhumanity” well, duh!) while also subtracting info (what it ISN’T about).

However, the insightful, informative paragraph you quote first isn’t Tarik but FLRW.
Tarik
Tarik
-->
@Reece101
Tarik’s all over the place.
Nope that’s you buddy, asking me the same questions over and over again without bringing anything substantive to the discussion warranting it. I’ve refuted every argument you’ve made and all you’ve done is filibuster and contradict yourself. You shouldn’t expect anyone to honestly take you seriously, get over yourself your pathetic.
cristo71
cristo71
-->
@Tarik
A poster other than yourself asked a question, and I began my answer with:

“I probably cannot speak for why others see Goldberg’s words as problematic, but I can say why I do:”

In other words, I’m not pontificating here. I’m not telling others what to think, as Goldberg is. Again, my post was not directed towards you. So you are out of line accusing me of pontificating and speaking out of turn.

Back to Whoopi:

Saying it’s about “man’s inhumanity to man” isn’t at all informative. Genocide, rape, murder, torture, etc all fall under that large umbrella. In other words… DUH! At the same time, she attempts to subtract insight from the discussion, saying what it ISN’T about.

To what point? To what benefit?
Reece101
Reece101
-->
@cristo71
I agree that Goldberg doesn’t have a substantive point. She’s actually not adding any meaningful info to the discussion (“man’s inhumanity” well, duh!) while also subtracting info (what it ISN’T about).

However, the insightful, informative paragraph you quote first isn’t Tarik but FLRW.
Oh they have similar pictures. My bad. 
Reece101
Reece101
-->
@Tarik
Nope that’s you buddy, asking me the same questions over and over again without bringing anything substantive to the discussion warranting it. I’ve refuted every argument you’ve made and all you’ve done is filibuster and contradict yourself. You shouldn’t expect anyone to honestly take you seriously, get over yourself your pathetic.
More claims with no reason other than spite.

Why are you perpetuating the position that jewish people aren’t a race when they obviously are? You said “Jewish is a religion not a race.” lol #75

Judaism is the religion you fool. 
Tarik
Tarik
-->
@cristo71
In other words, I’m not pontificating here. I’m not telling others what to think, as Goldberg is.
It is when your problem with Goldberg’s words is predicated on false pretense, which it is.

I’m not telling others what to think, as Goldberg is.
And that criticism is completely valid if it’s an opinionated issue we’re discussing but we’re not, whether or not someone is white isn’t a matter of opinion it’s a matter of fact so telling someone that they should see a fact for what it is isn’t problematic at all.

Saying it’s about “man’s inhumanity to man” isn’t at all informative.
True, but I acknowledged this point when I said

perhaps she should’ve offered a more specific term rather than the vague one she used since getting the narrative right is the goal, maybe she would’ve gotten less heat if she called it for EXACTLY what it is, antisemitism.
Make no mistake there’s a distinction between being uninformative and being wrong, the fact that you said “DUH” to that lack of information is an acknowledgment of sorts.

At the same time, she attempts to subtract insight from the discussion, saying what it ISN’T about.
No she just didn’t add (a point I already addressed) not adding isn’t equivalent to subtracting and the only ones saying what it ISN’T about are the ones that called a subject involving white people a race issue.

cristo71
cristo71
-->
@Tarik
perhaps she should’ve offered a more specific term rather than the vague one she used since getting the narrative right is the goal, maybe she would’ve gotten less heat if she called it for EXACTLY what it is, antisemitism.
Antisemitism is a subset of racism:

It’s a head scratcher why you and Ms. Goldberg are so invested in denying this…

Tarik
Tarik
-->
@Reece101
Judaism is the religion you fool. 
Regardless Jewish still isn’t a race (the focal point of the whole discussion) it’s an ethnicity and/or culture you fool.
Tarik
Tarik
-->
@cristo71
Antisemitism is a subset of racism:

…Really is that what we’re doing? This discussion runs a lot deeper then what a thesaurus can solve, you don’t think I can cite multiple more relevant sources that contrasts race from ethnicity and/or culture?
Reece101
Reece101
-->
@Tarik

Regardless Jewish still isn’t a race (the focal point of the whole discussion) it’s an ethnicity and/or culture you fool.
We’ve already been through this:

, a xenophobic comment is saying I don’t like Americans, well contrary to many beliefs Americans are composed of many different races of people so your not saying anything pertaining to race just culture and lifestyle. 
Are you sure they’re races and not ethnicities? That was sarcasm by the way. Look at race holistically and you’ll see many positions aren’t mutually exclusive.
And you say I contradict myself. You’re the pathetic one. 

cristo71
cristo71
-->
@Tarik
Ms. Goldberg failed to say “it’s about ethnic hatred” didn’t she? Why do you think that is? That is a monumental omission on her part, hence why her adamant claim of what it ISN’T is problematic.

What do you not understand about this?
Tarik
Tarik
-->
@cristo71
Ms. Goldberg failed to say “it’s about ethnic hatred” didn’t she?
Your so fixated on what she didn’t say where you fail to address what she did, that’s the real problem here.

What do you not understand about this?

cristo71
cristo71
-->
@Tarik
No, I’ve been talking about what she did say all along. Your outright lying smacks of desperation, and it’s no wonder. About time to put a fork in this, methinks…

whether or not someone is white isn’t a matter of opinion it’s a matter of fact
Just out of curiosity, do you describe yourself as a “race realist”?
Tarik
Tarik
-->
@cristo71
Just out of curiosity, do you describe yourself as a “race realist”?
Considering how you deemed me a liar, I don’t know why you would believe any answer I give.
cristo71
cristo71
-->
@Tarik
It’s easy to discern when you are lying in regards to me and what I’ve said in order to save face in an argument. Much harder to discern when you are lying about things only you would know. Besides, I wouldn’t be asking you the question if I were automatically going to disbelieve your answer!

Tarik
Tarik
-->
@cristo71
It’s easy to discern when you are lying in regards to me and what I’ve said in order to save face in an argument.
Our back and forth dialogue is all documented through this site, I don’t have that luxury of “lying” to save face.
cristo71
cristo71
-->
@Tarik
Indeed. Yet, for whatever reason, it didn’t stop you from trying.
Tarik
Tarik
-->
@cristo71
Indeed. Yet, for whatever reason, it didn’t stop you from trying.
I beg to differ, it did however stopped you from referring back to where you actually addressed what she said (maybe because such thing doesn’t exist). One thing you can’t accuse me of is not quoting myself and the interlocutor for emphasis of a point.
cristo71
cristo71
-->
@Tarik
I can just quote you… back to yourself on that matter:

Our back and forth dialogue is all documented through this site,

I might go have a lie down now… getting a bit sleepy.